***Random NBA-related thoughts***

Re: ***Random NBA-related thoughts***

Postby Finwë on Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:04 am

Name another guy who can make this type of plays:

"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Snake Eyes on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:09 am

Finwë wrote:Name another guy who can make this type of plays:

Michael Jordan :man12:
Snake Eyes

Postby Finwë on Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:13 am

Snake Eyes wrote:
Finwë wrote:Name another guy who can make this type of plays:

Michael Jordan :man12:

... I never saw Jordan consistently hit long range jumpers over 1 or 2 guys with their hands up on his face..
Not saying Kobe's better than Jordan, just saying I've never seen a guy with such ability to hit tough shots.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby kenzo on Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:02 am

Roy with another knee surgery :man5:, Lin came down back to earth and Austin Rivers sucks :man9: Pretty random...
kenzo

Postby Finwë on Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:28 am

Finwë

Postby Finwë on Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:16 pm

I agree with everything you said; all I was saying is that Kobe regularily takes and hits more tough jumpers (over 1-2 guys, falling away, hand in the face, etc) than anyone I've ever seen. Yeah Jordan was able to do it from time to time, so were/are some other players, but nothing like what Kobe did/does, not in that frequency and with such success. That video shows just ONE game, and there are already loads of incredible shots that only a handful of guys could ever hit, and they weren't doing it every game, not even close.
I only pointed it out because while maybe it doesn't make Kobe better per se, it is a big part of why I find him so fun to watch.
Finwë

Postby BDG on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:28 am

LOL WTF

Weirdest call ever.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Ras Algethi on Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:19 pm

^WTF is right. How can it be both? I've never seen that. Hope the refs get fined for that crap.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby Basketball Fan on Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:44 pm

http://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/ ... qus_thread

Season ticket holders typically receive a gift from the team every year that they renew their seats, and the Utah Jazz have decided to go above and beyond for the 2012-2013 season. According to Utah Jazz Nation, Jazz season ticket holders who attend who love breakfast appliances can stop by the fan relations office and pick up an exclusive waffle iron that is branded with the team’s logo.

Does it get any better than this? The only thing I can think of that might be slightly better than a waffle iron is this bobblehead that the Oakland A’s will be giving out this season, but it’s close. If I was a Jazz fan I’d be pumped.
Basketball Fan

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:08 pm

:man10: :man10:

Thanks for your thousands of dollars each year, now take this Waffle Maker we bought in bulk off Amazon and support your team.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Basketball Fan on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:12 pm

I'd love a Pacers Waffle Iron but only if they sold it in stores...
Basketball Fan

Postby JSM on Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:28 pm

WOW!

Nate is crazy, wearing a $2000 pair of Jordans against the Spurs:
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba ... more-38190
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby JSM on Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:59 pm

George Karl is furious over foul call

JSM

Postby JSM on Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:37 am

Thunder article on the good, bad, and ugly of twitter (interesting read):

http://dailythunder.com/2013/03/the-goo ... f-twitter/
JSM

Postby Basketball Fan on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:52 pm

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/20 ... 10803786=1

I saw this when I was watching the game earlier this week and I don't blame him. Besides I wouldn't want to share the ice cream I rather have my own.
Basketball Fan

Postby Basketball Fan on Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:28 pm

Y! SPORTS

Allen Iverson will return to Philadelphia on Saturday when 76ers give out A.I. bobbleheads

A link to the past that wobbles when you touch its head. (Image via @AschNBA)
If you're a Philadelphia 76ers fan, there's not much for you to be excited about right now. The guy your front office imported to be the low-post centerpiece of a new era has been hurt all year, just underwent surgery on both knees that eliminated any chance he'd return to the floor this season and is poised to hit free agency, meaning there's an excellent chance that the net result of the Great Four-Way Dwight Howard/Andrew Bynum/Andre Iguodala swap for Philly is the right to pay a 32-year-old and injured Jason Richardson nearly $13 million over the next two seasons. (Which is especially crummy when you see ex-76er draftees Nikola Vucevic and Moe Harkless developing into useful, inexpensive pieces in Orlando.)
Your team has been difficult to watch and cheer all season, struggling mightily to produce consistent offense given a lack of reliable shot creators, floor-spacers and free-throw generators; this is the NBA's fourth-worst offense in points scored per possession (according to NBA.com's stat tool) for a reason. The Evan Turner bet still hasn't really paid off, the "let's pay Kwame Brown and Nick Young rather than Elton Brand and Lou Williams" decision definitely hasn't paid off, you're getting heavy doses of a not-exactly-future-building Damien Wilkins and you're assured of a sub-.500 season record. There are admirable things about the Sixers — the team-carrying play of first-time All-Star Jrue Holiday, the all-court impact of Thaddeus Young, the refusal to roll over and tank despite being seven games out of the playoffs with 11 games left — but it's been a brutal season, it's coming to a brutal end and, prospective cap space aside, there doesn't appear to be a ton of hope for significantly brighter days in the team's near future.

And so, this weekend, the 76ers will reach back to the past, celebrating legendary guard Allen Iverson's contributions to Sixer history with a commemorative bobblehead doll ... and, as it turns out, celebrating the man himself, who has accepted the team's invitation to be in attendance at the Wells Fargo Center on Saturday. From The
Sixers CEO Adam Aron says Iverson rearranged his schedule to make the trip to Philadelphia. The Sixers will salute one of their greatest players with a video tribute. [...]
Aron says Iverson decided to return because "he loves his fans and he loves Philadelphia."
Iverson will reportedly present the game ball prior to tip-off of the 76ers' Saturday game with the Charlotte Bobcats, reprising a role he played last spring, when he appeared before Game 6 of the Sixers' second-round playoff series against the Boston Celtics. Despite his two prior ignominious exits from Philly — the acrimony preceding his trade to the Denver Nuggets during the 2006-07 season and his brief, less-than-smooth-and-successful 2010 return to the franchise — the Philly faithful showered Iverson with affection during that appearance, lauding him for a 76er career that included 19,931 points (second only to Hal Greer in franchise history), the 2000-01 NBA Most Valuable Player award and a trip to that year's NBA Finals that served as the peak of his Sixers tenure.
Iverson hasn't played professional ball since a 2010 stint with the Turkish club Besiktas; he declined an invitation to join the Texas Legends, the D-League affiliate of the Dallas Mavericks, earlier this season. Off the court, he's had a very rough start to 2013, losing his Atlanta mansion to foreclosure, going through a bitter divorce from his ex-wife Tawanna and losing custody of his children.
[Also: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar lobbies for the vacant UCLA coaching job]
All told, things aren't especially sunny for Iverson or the Sixers these days; the former star has fallen on difficult times and (D-League invite aside) seems to have made no headway in his hoped-for return to the NBA, while his former employer struggles toward the lottery on the court and toward laughing-stock status in the stands, where average attendance has fallen sharply from last year's numbers, leading to tickets going for mere pennies on the secondary market. Maybe bringing Iverson back to the site of his greatest achievements for one night, and giving fans an opportunity to reconnect with the franchise's last real stretch of glory for one night, will be a nice boost for all involved. And hey, even if it isn't, at least everyone will get a neat collectible out of it.
Basketball Fan

Postby JSM on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:34 pm

:man10:

JSM

Postby Finwë on Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:24 pm

Just came across this. What do you guys think?
Finwë

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:19 pm

Finwë wrote:
Just came across this. What do you guys think?

I don't even want to watch this and won't. It will just make me even more frustrated
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Finwë on Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:35 pm

While we're all marveled with Kobe's individual #s this season, check out Tim Duncan's longevity too:
Bruce Arthur ‏@bruce_arthur 42min
Tim Duncan per 36 minutes, 01-02: .508/.799, 22.6 ppg, 11.3 rpg, 3.3 apg, 0.7 spg, 2.2 bpg. This year: .503/.812, 21.2, 11.8, 3.2, 0.9, 3.2.

Pretty impressive.
Finwë

Postby JSM on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:08 pm

Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA 3h
The Heat have more wins this season (65) than the Cavaliers have in the three seasons since LeBron James left (64).

OUCH
JSM

Postby JSM on Wed May 08, 2013 8:15 pm

Stumbled across this oldie...

JSM

Postby JSM on Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:57 pm

:man10:
JSM

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:10 pm

Do it Mitch? :man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:53 am

Brett Poirier NBA ‏@BrettNBA 30m
Orlando will be paying $34.6M to Gilbert Arenas, Hedo Turkoglu, Al Harrington and Quentin Richardson to not play this season, via mBo.

OUCH!
JSM

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion