Rank the Off-Seasons Winners and Losers

Re: Rank the Off-Seasons Winners and Losers

Postby therealdeal on Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:59 pm

Shadow wrote:Im surprised no one is mentioning Miami as a winner. Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis were good signings in my opinion.

They didn't make my top 10. For me, Allen is their key addition and considering his health problems, we'll see exactly how much that'll mean. Rashard hasn't been effective in years and I doubt he does much to help them.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:26 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Shadow wrote:Im surprised no one is mentioning Miami as a winner. Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis were good signings in my opinion.

They didn't make my top 10. For me, Allen is their key addition and considering his health problems, we'll see exactly how much that'll mean. Rashard hasn't been effective in years and I doubt he does much to help them.

The Heat better pray Lewis bounces back from possibly his worst season of his career.

In 26 mpg he averaged less than 8 pts on 38% FG and 24% from downtown.
XXIV

Postby therealdeal on Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:39 pm

Pardon me I meant top 5. I haven't done ten yet.

And yes I definitely agree. Lewis could be a total flop.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dj vitus on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:30 pm

Winner: Lakers
Loser: David Stern
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby KB24 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:46 pm

I'm not sure about the impact. They got 2 old guys that play the same positions as their stars. So you either play people out of position or you don't play them at all.

Shard has heavily declined, I don't think he will be great for 15 mpg. He is a rhythm player. Allen has health issues and looked washed up too last season.

They are both good signings but question marks and Miami was probably the team which needed them the least with Jones, miller, battier, etc. It seems to me they want to have their big 3 and 12 shooters.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:46 am

I don't know why Miami continues to ignore their huge hole in the middle. Howard will destroy them. Gonna be fun watching Joel Anthony try to guard Dwight. :man10:
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby abeer3 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:35 am

dallas got better. kidd was terrible last year, so that's not a loss. and terry has been in slow decline for a while. they upgraded at both guard spots and at both backup pf and c.

put it this way, of the two texas teams that struck out on superstars, only one of them salvaged themselves.
abeer3

Postby 432J on Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:48 am

houston's gotta be the biggest loser

not only did they strikeout on howard, they overstacked their team with PF's and got rid of scola for no reason. not to mention they lost dragic. i'd say dallas too but they really saved themselves after losing out on howard and williams
432J

Postby gill on Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:35 am

Hang on, I just gotta bring up one thing from the list of losers:

Raptors/Pistons/Kings. These teams did almost nothing this off-season to improve and they're teams that needed it most... the Raptors lost out on Nash and since then haven't done much to make up for it.

Raptors did lose on Nash but did everyone forget they picked up Kyle Lowry? Lowry was putting up solid numbers in Houston before he got injured and McHale never gave him another chance and rolled with Dragic.
gill

Postby therealdeal on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:16 am

You're right actually I had totally forgotten about Lowry. I might have to re-evaluate my list a little bit. Nice catch. :bow:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby v1n5anity on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:57 am

TIME wrote:
John3:16 wrote:No one thinks Miami had a good off-season?

It all depends on which Ray Allen they get. If it's a 45% from 3 Ray Ray then the whole league is in trouble. If it's last year's Ray then not so much.

Last year's Ray WAS 45% from 3. He shot poorly in the playoffs because of injury.

Also, Ray shot 48% from corner 3s. That equates to 72% on 2 pointers. Ridiculous efficiency. And you know that playing with LeBron and Wade is only gonna get him more open shots. I think Miami has to be top 5 off-season winners. They just won the 'ship and they got the best 3 point shooter of all time. Yeah, that's big.
v1n5anity

Postby Delicious on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:22 pm

Hang on, I just gotta bring up one thing from the list of losers:

Raptors/Pistons/Kings. These teams did almost nothing this off-season to improve and they're teams that needed it most... the Raptors lost out on Nash and since then haven't done much to make up for it.

Raptors did lose on Nash but did everyone forget they picked up Kyle Lowry? Lowry was putting up solid numbers in Houston before he got injured and McHale never gave him another chance and rolled with Dragic.

You're an optimistic Raptors fan like I am that gets the same of failure at the same time every year once we realize this team is still horrible. Aaron Gray, John Lucas, and the other role player signings were atrocious when you look at all the guards and bigs were available in free agency. Management has shown time and time again they don't give a crap about winning, its not rocket science! Sign talent and you'll win some games. :mad1:
Set up your Wet up
Delicious

Postby gill on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:28 pm

therealdeal wrote:You're right actually I had totally forgotten about Lowry. I might have to re-evaluate my list a little bit. Nice catch. :bow:

Haha, not a problem. It's the Raptors after all, they're pretty much irrelevant outside our country :man10:
gill

Postby gill on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:36 pm

Delicious wrote:You're an optimistic Raptors fan like I am that gets the same of failure at the same time every year once we realize this team is still horrible. Aaron Gray, John Lucas, and the other role player signings were atrocious when you look at all the guards and bigs were available in free agency. Management has shown time and time again they don't give a crap about winning, its not rocket science! Sign talent and you'll win some games. :mad1:

Well, it's not like management hasn't acquired talent over the years though. Since they came to the league they've had: Damon Stoudamire, Marcus Camby, Vince Carter, Tracy McGrady, Antonio Davis, Charles Oakley, Bargnani, Calderon, and now Lowry. Keeping them and coaching them is a a different issue.

Since Lenny Wilkens, they've had Krusty the Klown's twin Kevin O'Neill, Sam Mitchell (who got canned after winning coach of the year), Jay Triano, and Dwyane Casey). They just can't find the right coach.

On the GM side of things... Rob Babcock gave Vince Carter away for a bag of peanuts and the corpse of Alonzo Mourning from New Jersey. I thought Colangelo would turn things around but he's done nothing but drafting soft players like Bargnani and Calderon. This has been a problem since after the Vince Carter + T-Mac days... but what can you expect from the same ownership group that owns the Maple Leafs? :man10:
gill

Postby KB24 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:09 pm

It really has to be sad to be a Raptors fan or Hawks fan or Bobcats fan or Wizzards fan etc....

sometimes we don't realize how lucky we are...the Lakers always have exciting players, exciting seasons. If I was a Raptors fan, I would be deeply depressed now.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby dj vitus on Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:17 pm

Rockets still got Jeremy Lin.

I know it doesn't sound like much after dumping practically their entire starting lineup and then losing out on Howard and Bynum... but he did put up MVP numbers in February as the main guy in NY. Could he do it again in Houston?
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby therealdeal on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:28 pm

dj vitus wrote:Rockets still got Jeremy Lin.

I know it doesn't sound like much after dumping practically their entire starting lineup and then losing out on Howard and Bynum... but he did put up MVP numbers in February as the main guy in NY. Could he do it again in Houston?

Maybe. Or he could continue averaging something like 8 turnovers on a team much, much weaker offensively than the one he was on.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby MadMax on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:04 pm

I really just don't see Lin making as big of a splash in HOU as he did in NY. I think it was just one of those right place, time, team type of things that made it all come together. Now, after coming back from knee surgery, I am doubting he is going to be able to be able to produce like he did during that short span before he was injured.
MadMax
Clublakers Moderator

Postby dj vitus on Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:06 pm

V1n5anity wrote:
TIME wrote:
John3:16 wrote:No one thinks Miami had a good off-season?

It all depends on which Ray Allen they get. If it's a 45% from 3 Ray Ray then the whole league is in trouble. If it's last year's Ray then not so much.

Last year's Ray WAS 45% from 3. He shot poorly in the playoffs because of injury.

Also, Ray shot 48% from corner 3s. That equates to 72% on 2 pointers. Ridiculous efficiency. And you know that playing with LeBron and Wade is only gonna get him more open shots. I think Miami has to be top 5 off-season winners. They just won the 'ship and they got the best 3 point shooter of all time. Yeah, that's big.

Yeah, RA is gonna do some damage for the Heat if he can get healthy. All he has to do is flip around two screens and catch-and-shoot a 3.

And yes, Miami already has shooters, but RA is really one-of-a-kind (hell, I wish we had a "too many shooters" problem). His bball IQ is through the roof, and he can make excellent decisions on the fly. He knows when to take the highest percentage shots. Rarely does he ever hesitate or just chuck up a bad shot. Rarely. Miami scored BIG with him.
dj vitus

Previous

Return to NBA Discussion