Raptors and Grizzlies Moving Closer To Rudy Gay Deal

Re: Raptors and Grizzlies Moving Closer To Rudy Gay Deal

Postby FabFourLakers on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:12 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:IMHO, Memphis saves money while staying competitive. Detroit gets out of Prince's long term contract with an expiring Calderon. Toronto isn't done...I doubt this is their endgame.

With the super tax hitting next year, smaller market teams will be scrambling to shed potential tax money.

I disagree Vash, and i rarely disagree with you. Memphis made a terrible deal. They didnt save money, they didn't get any young, talented prospects (ed davis is not gonna get enough PT to have impact), and they got no first round picks. I just don't get this deal at all....they have only ONE guy that can create for them int he starting lineup and that is CONLEY. Who is gonna be their guy at the end of games? Maybe Z-Bo? I dunno, i just don't like this trade at all for them.
FabFourLakers

Postby Vasashi17 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:23 pm

When you are in a losing culture, it really takes a toll on your psyche. I think Prince is going to be part of a winning atmosphere now and you're going to see a different player. He's a great defender and has the talent to be a point-forward type.

Like OKC, they didn't want to sacrifice too much talent while still dumping salary. I like Gay, but Prince isn't some hack. He makes nearly half of what Gay makes and the talent level doesn't take a nose dive. With this deal, it highlights Z-Bo and Gasol more and I think that is the true strength of that Griz team.

Financially it makes alot of sense why the Griz did it and in the process they didn't sacrifice talent either. It may hurt initially in terms of team chemistry, but the Griz will look much better by playoff time. But then again, I'm a bit bias cause I always liked Prince since he's a LA native.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:03 pm

MEM did save a bunch of money, I don't know what some of you are talking about:

The first domino has fallen in the rapidly building trade frenzy leading up to the NBA's Feb. 21 deadline: Rudy Gay to the Raptors in return for, essentially, $26 million.

That's approximately what the Memphis Grizzlies save this season and the next two by parting ways with one of their three highest-paid players -- $26.4 million to be exact. The Grizzlies went from staring at a $7 million luxury tax bill a week ago -- and exponentially more punitive penalties the next two seasons if they kept Gay -- to shaving a total of $12.1 million off this season's payroll and a whopping $37.2 million total over three years.

By my count, Memphis has swung from $4 million over the luxury-tax line this year to about $8 million under, potentially leaving room to take on short-term salary in future deals. But on the heels of Oklahoma City trading James Harden to the Rockets, this was simply another example of the harsh realities of the new collective bargaining agreement coming home to root in a small market.

New owner Robert Pera didn't buy the Lakers, after all. He bought the Grizzlies, and anyone with the ability to read a spreadsheet could figure out that Memphis could not afford to have three players -- Gay, Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph -- making a combined $50 million in each of the next two seasons.

The question is, why do it now? Last week's trade with Cleveland in which the Grizzies sent Marreese Speights, Wayne Ellington, Josh Selby and a protected first-round pick to the Cavs for Jon Leuer got them comfortably under the tax line this season. With the fourth-best record in the West, in a rare season when both the Lakers and Mavs appear to be non-factors, why not keep the core together and take one more crack at it?

That is a question that only Pera, CEO Jason Levien and new vice president for basketball operations John Hollinger can answer. But understand that the tax burden Memphis was facing next season was real and unmanageable. The decision was made to move Gay now while tax relief also was going to come with three players and a draft pick.

The Grizzlies wound up getting Ed Davis and a second-round pick from Toronto, plus Tayshaun Prince and Austin Daye from the Pistons for Gay. Jose Calderon went from Toronto to Memphis, but was rerouted to Detroit in a separate deal. Prince can fill some of Gay's role on the wing at nearly a third of the cost, while not needing as many touches or shots on offense. With $8 million of room under the tax line, Memphis also has time and room to explore other deals that could replenish the depth they've sacrificed in their payroll purge -- an option they wouldn't have had if they'd waited until the summer to move Gay.

The Raptors got the closest thing to an All-Star that was currently available, and that's another reality that many teams with more cap space than the Raptors are beginning to recognize. Cap space and assets do you no good unless there's a player worth spending them on. As in the draft, sometimes you suck it up and take the best available athlete.

The Pistons get off of Prince's contract, which had two years and $15 million left, plus they get a short-term mentor in Calderon for Brandon Knight. Calderon's $10.6 million expires after the season, giving the Pistons $26.5 million in expiring contracts this summer. Again, with a lean free-agent class after Chris Paul and Dwight Howard (both presumed to be staying in L.A.), the Pistons might find it more advantageous to move those contracts between now and Feb. 21 rather than wait and overpay marginal free agents. (They've already tried that with Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva, and we all know how that went.)

Are the Grizzlies better on the court as a result of all this? No, they would've had a better shot if they'd stopped after the Cleveland trade and kept plodding along. But it's clear that the new tax penalties in the CBA have been heard loud and clear. Unlike in Los Angeles or Brooklyn, in Memphis you play chicken with the luxury tax at your own peril.

Do I like the trade for Memphis? It doesn't matter if I like it or not; I understand it. You can't have an L.A. appetite on a Memphis budget. In the new financial reality of the NBA, Big Threes costing $50 million-plus are reserved for places like L.A., Miami and New York -- and even in those glamour markets the tax man is going to have the final say eventually. Check back with me in two years and tell me if Brooklyn still has Deron Williams, Joe Johnson and Brook Lopez making a total of $59 million -- or if LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh all stay in South Beach with $20 million opt-outs at the same time.

"They showed their hand completely," one rival executive said of the Grizzlies. "You can't fool players. They will have a hard time thinking winning is the priority. That erodes consumer confidence in the Association."

Winning is important, but tax bills are real. And in my opinion, we've only seen the beginning.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ken-berger/21624504/small-market-grizzlies-take-a-necessary-step-back-by-trading-rudy-gay
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:26 pm

That's what I don't understand about the new CBA. It was supposed to break up super teams with expensive stars, like the Lakers, and what it really does is keep small-market teams from ever venturing over the luxury cap. True, it taxes the hell out of the Lakers, which raises league revenue. But it also keeps small-market teams from keeping their championship aspirations. Okc went down a notch, Dallas gutted their team, and now the Grizz went backwards a bit. The only cities that will be able to afford a championship team are L.A., New York, and Chicago.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby noobiew on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:37 pm

C - Marc Gasol
PF -Zach Randolph
SF - Tayshaun Prince
SG - Tony Allen
PG - Mike Conley

So Defensive Jugger Nut ? :man10:
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:01 am

noobiew wrote:So Defensive Jugger Nut ? :man10:

It's juggler knot :mad1:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Showtime.Revival.05 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:14 am

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:
noobiew wrote:So Defensive Jugger Nut ? :man10:

It's juggler knot :mad1:

lol juggler knot

juggernaut actually but who cares

prince, davis, and daye for gay is a pretty damn good return considering they kind of had to get rid of it and didn't have much leverage

raptors get the borderline star they wanted and didnt give up a ton, i read yesterday colangelo had wet dreams about putting rudy and bargnani on the court together so im sure they're happy

i dont know what the hell the pistons are doing though
Showtime.Revival.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:41 am

:disagree: this is clublakers, it's juggler knot
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:27 am

At least the smaller teams "reputation wise" at least are changing the NBA. Clippers got CP3 and now they're a playoff team,started with getting Blake Griffin. The OKC Thunder which was first in Seattle, made moves was a finals team last season. The Warriors and their young crew, The Houston Rockets etc... I expect teams like the Bucks and Wizards over the years to become playoff teams soon.
Jazzygirl205

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:28 am

Financially, it makes sense for Memphis. On the basketball side, I don't understand the deal. I don't think they get better at all; maybe defensively. We'll just have to wait & see...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby khmrP on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:05 am

FabFourLakers wrote:
Vasashi17 wrote:IMHO, Memphis saves money while staying competitive. Detroit gets out of Prince's long term contract with an expiring Calderon. Toronto isn't done...I doubt this is their endgame.

With the super tax hitting next year, smaller market teams will be scrambling to shed potential tax money.

I disagree Vash, and i rarely disagree with you. Memphis made a terrible deal. They didnt save money, they didn't get any young, talented prospects (ed davis is not gonna get enough PT to have impact), and they got no first round picks. I just don't get this deal at all....they have only ONE guy that can create for them int he starting lineup and that is CONLEY. Who is gonna be their guy at the end of games? Maybe Z-Bo? I dunno, i just don't like this trade at all for them.

Gay makes $17mill+ 2 more season after this, Prince makes $7mill, ummm why aren't they saving money? :man3:
khmrP

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:21 pm

^^^ They still have to pay Ed Davis that year. Can't really say how much they save, until we see what they give Davis.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby khmrP on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:55 pm

Doc Brown wrote:^^^ They still have to pay Ed Davis that year. Can't really say how much they save, until we see what they give Davis.

Based on Davis #'s I'd say not much especially now that he's gona be coming off the bench.
khmrP

Postby LooN3y on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:52 pm

they should of atleast rode the season out, memphis is dumb as [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.].

even if it winning a ship doesnt make up for the money they might end up losing to the luxury tax, itll be better for the franchise and the city in the long run.

sad to see teams with talent break up, the no superstar pistons team era, the melo nugets era, and now the memphis grizzlies.

i mean my god they dont know how good they have it, look at portland, they had a potential super team and they lost it all. and now they're just breaking down teams?

i know the nba is a business first and foremost but wow, but isnt because of basketball and the chance of owning a team thats going to win is the reason why these multi billionaires buy these teams?

they could of been a real threat, especially with the lakers virtually gone this year. the griz would of had a high chance to take it all this year. only real threats are the thunders and spurs ( a low chance, another year older, and like last time, theyll have to play very excellent and near perfect basketball to beat that team)

call it what you want, but i still dont see the clippers as a team to take it all.

the grizzlies front court dominates the thunders front court. and if they stil had mayo, their bench and as well as their starting line up could be of been deadly

their chemistry was fine till OJ pouted about going to the bench. moving gay before they see waht they can do is beyond me.

i bet memphis fans are going crazy right now, because i would be. i dont see them getting anywhere.

imo WCF = either Spurs, Thunders, or Clippers (i know i said they wont take it all, but them going to the WCF isnt far fetched at all, and im not saying that they cant or its impossible for them to win the ship but i jsut personally dont see them doing i have hard time picturing) lol or...... the lakers if they go on a out of this world run and make the playoffs, but we all know that isnt going to happen.
LooN3y

Postby juninho on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:20 am

Seems like Hollins is not happy with those cost saving moves. Hope he quits and we get him in summer. He is top5 coach at NBA right now imo.
juninho

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:39 pm

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:Image

:disagree: this is clublakers, it's juggler knot

:man10: :man10: :man10:

Good times. LOL. A CL classic for sure.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Previous

Return to NBA Discussion