Raptors Sign Austin Daye

Re: Lakers Interested in Austin Daye

Postby trodgers on Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:02 pm

Dude should pick up a weight.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:03 pm

rydjorker121 wrote:Before I started to do more in-depth research into translatable skills, I'd applaud Mitch for making these moves...Wesley Johnson, Austin Daye. These are high lottery pick reclamation projects, and frankly, if you're never drafting in the first round (which we haven't, in ages), then this is probably the next best thing to get young talent. Not super young talent, but still quite young, at ages 24 and 25, and you hope that the players have matured enough to adapt to the NBA setting and hope that you can squeeze out any ounce of potential these players once (and still) possess.

That being said...Austin Daye possesses a disproportionate body frame. It's near Ndudi Ebi territory. 6'11" AND 200 lbs? He's already 25, so if he hasn't been able to put any weight since he was drafted, well...he'll likely never put on weight. We can easily blame it on the narrow shoulders. And this really hinders him--how often do you see a 6'11" guy camp out 16 feet and beyond? He's also a super paltry rebounder, but he gets a reasonable steal and block combination, and with some proper teaching (read: not us), he has some ability to contest shots with his length as well. He's really an oversized backup small forward at best in this league, and that could have its uses though. He needs to be keyed to his strengths though, because he has clearly defined weaknesses. Athletic three point gunners seem to be our thing here.

Going OT and speaking of narrow shoulders, I was watching Johnny Football or Johnny Manziel being interviewed in either a suit coat or sport coat with a tie. I was shocked that he appeared in that footage to have no shoulders as well.....very narrow up top.
LTLakerFan

Postby Bilbao-LakerMagic on Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:55 pm

I like this player, he is young, great size, long arms... (phisically similar to Tayshaun Prince).

I like the acquisitions of Wesley Johnson and Nick Young.

We had a lack of young players, a lack of athletic players, and a lack of Small Forwards. With Nick Young, Wesley Johnson and Austin Daye... I think that we improve a lot vs. previous years that position and lackness.

Go Lakers !!
Bilbao-LakerMagic

Postby therealdeal on Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:34 pm

^ We didn't actually sign him though bud.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:28 pm

@WojYahooNBA 7m

Austin Daye has reached agreement on two-year, $2 million deal with Toronto, league source tells Y! Sports.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Previous

Return to NBA Discussion