Rick Carlisle Will Suspend His Players If They Suck

Rick Carlisle Will Suspend His Players If They Suck

Postby Kobe8Fan on Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:38 pm

DALLAS – Patience in Big D is running as thin as Mark Cuban‘s wallet back when he could barely afford to holler at the refs from the nosebleed section.

After another blowout loss Sunday night, a 111-86 pasting by the San Antonio Spurs, desperate Dallas Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle, one week after ripping his club’s effort in a 38-point trouncing at San Antonio, spoke of implementing radical steps, specifically suspending under-performing players, as a means to jolt his reeling team.

“I’ve got to be inventive and find ways. I don’t have a better answer than that,” Carlisle said. “In the last week, I’ve literally had to scream in the face of two guys in practices and shootarounds to get the point across. And I will do that and I will continue to do that.

“If I have to start suspending guys for not doing things they’re supposed to be doing on the court, I’ll do it and you know, Mark and I will get into it about that, but somehow things have got to change, and it just can’t be about it’s a tough schedule. It just can’t.”

Actual suspensions might not fly, but the notion itself lends to a level of desperation that proves how quickly the season is slipping away. Carlisle can certainly choose to sit underachievers on the bench, not that he has many options in which to turn.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/12/3 ... ring-team/

Rick Carlisle is ruthless.
Kobe8Fan

Re: Rick Carlisle Will Suspend His Players If They Suck

Postby ramsay13 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:01 am

Well they are getting paid good they should be good.
ramsay13

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:03 am

Rick Carlisle will suck his players if what?
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby pound4pound1 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:05 pm

he might not have enough players then
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby King of Clutch on Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:35 pm

they're like 6-7 games under .500. I would hate to be them right now. They aren't making the playoffs I don't think.
King of Clutch

Postby King of Clutch on Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:19 pm

they're 12-19. wow.
King of Clutch

Postby Finwë on Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:35 pm

Rick Carlisle is a very good coach IMO. Would like to have him here
Tough position that Mavs team is in. I don't think they are making the playoffs
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby abeer3 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:32 pm

carlisle is one of the best in the business. i'd take pop over him. after that, i have a hard time making an argument for anyone else.

i do think he's overselling what the mavs have to work with right now, though. they've missed dirk for the entire season, and when he came back, they played the top six teams in the league, basically in a row. they've been playing terribly, but i'm not sure you can make the claim they're underperforming given the circumstances.
abeer3

Postby noobiew on Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:10 pm

I consider Carlisle one of the top 5 coaches in the NBA, much better than DAntoni

- Popovich
- Thibs
- Aldeman
- Carlisle
- George Karl
- Doc Rivers
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby 432J on Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:25 pm

noobiew wrote:I consider Carlisle one of the top 5 coaches in the NBA, much better than DAntoni

- Popovich
- Thibs
- Aldeman
- Carlisle
- George Karl
- Doc Rivers

most coaches are alot better than dan tony, including all those guys ^
432J

Postby FabFourLakers on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:06 am

Let me say this: Carlisle has been a total IDIOT this year. It started with him benching Darren Collison for NO EFFING REASON, in favor of DOMINIQUE JONES and then, DEREK FISHER!!!!!! You cannot start 40 yr old fisher over a young and promising PG like Collison. I don't think Carlisle is the right coach for this young team. Suspending players if they don't play well? What kind of stupid thing is that? Now every player on that team is going to be playing scared. I'm glad Dirk kinda called him out on it and said he thinks what carlisle is saying is kind of riduclous. I have to agree. WAY ridiculous. Carlisle is part of the reason they suck this year.

That brings me to this: What the heck is in the NBA coaches coffees this year? I've NEVER seen so many rotation changes in one year by all the teams. I've seen guys go in and out of lineups and then benched for 5 games and then back in the starting lineup....it's pretty ridiculous.
FabFourLakers

Postby abeer3 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:54 pm

collison seems to have responded positively to the benching. if there's one thing that carlisle does, it's play the long game. he stuck with jjb through terrible times in 2010-11 (jjb was awful to start that year, a train wreck), and it paid off at big moments in the playoffs. he deserves some rope from fans in terms of his choices about who plays.

he does favor veterans, but i'm not sure what good coach doesn't. it doesn't appease us fans, but i'm guessing they know something we don't most of the time.

unless it's mike brown or avery johnson.
abeer3

Return to NBA Discussion