Rockets rookie Royce White wants to travel by bus

Rockets rookie Royce White wants to travel by bus

Postby The Rock on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:09 pm

Good player, top 3 pick potential but he has mental and anxiety issues so his stock fell. He has a fear of flying so he hopes to drive by bus to some games

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/20452937/royce-white-hopes-to-travel-by-bus-to-some-games
Royce White 's road to the NBA has been an interesting one. And it's a road that White wants to stay on -- literally and figuratively.

The first-round pick has a well-documented case of anxiety disorder that has contributed to him missing the beginning of Houston's preseason camp. His anxiety includes a serious fear of flying, which will be extremely difficult to deal with seeing as the life of an NBA player features almost nonstop travel.

As a result, White is hoping to travel by bus to some road games. Via ESPN.com:

White's fear of flying, he said, magnifies his anxiety disorder. So he's asked the Rockets to let him use a bus for some of the team's extensive road trips. White said he's willing to purchase the bus and assume liability.

Busing to games, he said, is a vital component in the treatment of his anxiety.

White, who missed the team's media day on Monday and the start of training camp in McAllen, Texas, on Tuesday, said he hopes to reach an agreement with the team soon. He said he expects to join his teammates within "a week," if talks with the Rockets continue to progress.

"What it's going to look like is every game that's drivable, I'm going to get a bus for myself," White said. "And I'm going to make that bus feel like home so that there's a level of consistency in a job where inconsistency is very apparent because of the schedule. I'm going to try and level that out and make sure that my stress levels stay low and that my rest is regular and that my meals are regular and that as much as I can, draw consistency from a very inconsistent schedule. ...

"People with mental illness, one of the most important things is that they have that consistency and routine. The girth of (my request) was, 'Can I travel by bus to close enough games?' "

The logistics of traveling by bus could be complicated. By "close" games, I assume White probably means games in Texas or maybe New Orleans or Oklahoma City (about eight-hour drives from Houston). But an NBA schedule isn't exactly flexible with lots of back-to-backs and a certain pace that players have to keep up with. Busing could mean White misses shootarounds, could mean he misses out on the bonding that happens with team travel and could mean complications of getting to the arena on time come into play.

White's request with the Rockets is one of the contributing factors to him not being in training camp, he said. He's working on a plan with the team to figure out a way to make the travel thing work.

A quick look at the Rockets' schedule shows they will play just six games within eight hours of driving. In November, their road games are at Detroit, Atlanta, Portland, at Los Angeles and Utah. Maybe part of White's plan though is to bus between road cities. For instance, the Rockets play back-to-back games against the Raptors and Knicks in December. That's a reasonable drive.

It's a matter of logistics, and the reality is busing to games just might not work. But White has come this far fighting his mental issues, and he's doing what he can to make it work best. Can't blame him for trying.

Grantland made a video of him during Draft day

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Re: Rockets rookie Royce White wants to travel by bus

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:15 pm

No offense, but maybe this isn't the position for you in life. Maybe you should look into a job that doesn't include flying at least 41 days a year?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:18 pm

I have anxiety too along with depression so I know what he's going through. I apologize for my ignorant comment earlier.
Last edited by Texas Lakers Fan on Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Frank Dux on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:51 pm

^Ehhhhh, anxiety doesn't really work that way. There's simply no "sucking it up". It's a disease that a lot of regular folks unfairly judge. Like all the other mental disorders such as bi-polar, schizophrenia, depression, etc. People just think, "since I can't see it, it must not be a big deal". When in contrast no one in their right mind would criticize somebody suffering from Aids, Cancer, or Lou Gehrig's. It's a complete double standard, and it's not right!

I don't really like sharing personal stuff like this, but what the hell. I suffer from crippling anxiety(amongst other things). Now, I look completely normal, I'm pretty confidant, good with people, and unless you really know me, you would never know the hell I go through in my head. I've almost lost my job, I've lost a lot of friends, and I let a lot of great opportunities pass me by because of my anxiety. One day i'm on top of the world, then next i'm blowing off plans with my friends because I can't leave my damn bedroom. I can't tell you how many times i've heard someone say "just suck it up man".

I know what this kid is going through, and it's heartbreaking. I know the ridicule he faces, and I know this disorder is putting his career in jeopardy, much like it did mine. The Rockets knew the deal before the drafted him, and it would be ridiculous to expect an immediate impact. He's a project, he needs a nurturing environment, and good veteran leadership who can mentor him. I wish Royce the best, and i'll be rooting for him to succeed.
Frank Dux
Clublakers Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:30 am

White has something in common with John Madden and Dick "Night Train" Lane...two sports icons that avoided flying.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby BadCoaching on Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:49 am

I can't stand the Celtics.
BadCoaching

Postby Tobias Funke on Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:19 pm

Maybe its a stupid idea, but what about them giving him something on the way to the airport so that he sleeps through the entire thing.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:20 pm

He won't last long in this league unless he figures out a way to cope with flying. There's no way around it.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Weezy on Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:42 pm

I feel for the guy, I have anxiety issues myself that hold me back from doing some of the things I love, and I absolutely cannot fly, just can't handle it. It sucks that he has issues with it, but yeah if they are that bad amd medication doesn't help him he's simply not going to make it in the NBA for very long, you have to be able to fly to games.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:44 pm

Frank Dux wrote:^Ehhhhh, anxiety doesn't really work that way. There's simply no "sucking it up". It's a disease that a lot of regular folks unfairly judge. Like all the other mental disorders such as bi-polar, schizophrenia, depression, etc. People just think, "since I can't see it, it must not be a big deal". When in contrast no one in their right mind would criticize somebody suffering from Aids, Cancer, or Lou Gehrig's. It's a complete double standard, and it's not right!

I don't really like sharing personal stuff like this, but what the hell. I suffer from crippling anxiety(amongst other things). Now, I look completely normal, I'm pretty confidant, good with people, and unless you really know me, you would never know the hell I go through in my head. I've almost lost my job, I've lost a lot of friends, and I let a lot of great opportunities pass me by because of my anxiety. One day i'm on top of the world, then next i'm blowing off plans with my friends because I can't leave my damn bedroom. I can't tell you how many times i've heard someone say "just suck it up man".

I know what this kid is going through, and it's heartbreaking. I know the ridicule he faces, and I know this disorder is putting his career in jeopardy, much like it did mine. The Rockets knew the deal before the drafted him, and it would be ridiculous to expect an immediate impact. He's a project, he needs a nurturing environment, and good veteran leadership who can mentor him. I wish Royce the best, and i'll be rooting for him to succeed.

Thanks for sharing that man. Thats crazy I didnt now it could be this detrimental to someone's life

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:56 pm

I couldn't imagine having extreme anxiety in an airplane. A car/bus you can always stop, get out, collect yourself and regroup, but in a plane there are no breaks, nowhere to go. That would be awful.

Hopefully he can figure something out, not just in the short term with getting to games, but getting control of the anxiety so it doesn't stop him from doing something he loves to do.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Kasumi on Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:05 pm

Frank Dux wrote:^Ehhhhh, anxiety doesn't really work that way. There's simply no "sucking it up". It's a disease that a lot of regular folks unfairly judge. Like all the other mental disorders such as bi-polar, schizophrenia, depression, etc. People just think, "since I can't see it, it must not be a big deal". When in contrast no one in their right mind would criticize somebody suffering from Aids, Cancer, or Lou Gehrig's. It's a complete double standard, and it's not right!

Well said and I completely agree. It's not a fear, like a fear of spiders, where you can get used to it with enough exposure. It's like telling a diabetic that if they eat enough ice cream their body will get used to it and they won't go into diabetic shock anymore. Or someone with a nut allergy to just keep eating nuts and they'll be fine. I have to applaud the guy for having the drive to work towards a solution and still live his dream of being an NBA player.
ImageImage

You can now find me over at www.LakersBall.com
Kasumi
ClubSpurs.com Administrator

Postby kenzo on Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:29 pm

gcclaker wrote:White has something in common with John Madden and Dick "Night Train" Lane...two sports icons that avoided flying.

Add Dennis Bergkamp to that list.
kenzo

Postby D.B. Cooper on Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:17 pm

I use to play with a guy in high school that got drafted by the Yankees but since he was scared to fly he turned them down.
D.B. Cooper

Postby strikemode14 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:23 pm

As crazy as this sound in terms of which one scares me the most...easily driving over flying no question.

Now granted I am not afraid of either but in flying as long as their are no crazy circumstances mechanical, pilot malfunction, turbulence in short basically some out of the ordinary circumstance flying is easy. Compared to having to deal with more people on the road, drinking, texting or just outright not that experience or skilled driver you are most likely to get in a wreck.

I hope this guy gets over his fear because hate to see a guy lose that much money over something as harmless as flying. Maybe he needs to medicate before he gets on or see a psychiatrists.
Strikemode14 is the greatest.

http://gprime.net/flash.php/postingandyou

]
strikemode14
Forum Manager

Postby Weezy on Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:32 pm

That's the thing though, it's not a fear, your body and mind don't let you get over it or do the thing you want or need to. It's not rational, it's not something that can be reasoned with to him by explaining how safe it is, anxiety doesn't work that way, read posts above to see why. If its bad enough, it's crippling, you can have panic attacks and feel like you can't breathe, get dizzy, even pass out. Even taking pills to go to sleep might not work because you know what's coming while you're out so your mind won't let you sleep, and if you were to wake up mid-flight you could freak out and that is a disaster. That's another thing that sucks about anxiety and panic, people that don't have it simply don't get it, can't understand it, and most in my experience are only sympathetic to a point, but they'll still be telling others you need to get over it and suck it up behind your back. It's with having something like this you find out who your true friend are. But I'm ranting now, I just wish the guy luck I really do, would suck to have that much talent and potential ruined by anxiety.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:41 pm

strikemode14 wrote:As crazy as this sound in terms of which one scares me the most...easily driving over flying no question.

Now granted I am not afraid of either but in flying as long as their are no crazy circumstances mechanical, pilot malfunction, turbulence in short basically some out of the ordinary circumstance flying is easy. Compared to having to deal with more people on the road, drinking, texting or just outright not that experience or skilled driver you are most likely to get in a wreck.

I hope this guy gets over his fear because hate to see a guy lose that much money over something as harmless as flying. Maybe he needs to medicate before he gets on or see a psychiatrists.

the funny thing is, your absolutely right about your comparison with driving to flying in terms of things that could go wrong, but most people including myself would much rather drive than fly

i wouldn't say that i have a fear of flying but i'll admit, the idea of getting on an airplane does make me a bit uncomfortable, whereas i never even think twice when driving. i think there are 2 reasons for this, it's a complete stranger piloting the plane and the fact that you're in the air, plain and simple. i can totally see why people are scared of flying
432J

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:41 am

Let him just play the home games to get it over with
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby ThizGuy83 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:34 pm

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:Let him just play the home games to get it over with

pay him half the salary and play only home games... problem solved
Dwight "tweedle Dee tweedle dum" Howard
ThizGuy83

Postby 432J on Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:35 pm

brandonr2001 wrote:
KareemTheGreat33 wrote:Let him just play the home games to get it over with

pay him half the salary and play only home games... problem solved

or even better, he can play games against the teams within driving distance

so let's say he'll play all home games and then games against dallas, san antonio, phoenix, new orleans, utah, and OKC
432J

Postby abeer3 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:36 am

i have two feelings about this.

first, as someone who struggled in the past with anxiety (panic attacks, the whole thing), i feel for the guy. i've managed to put all that behind me (literally knocking on wood right now), but i'm always concerned that it will come back and cause me problems again. he wants to do what he loves, and something out of his control is interfering with his ability to do so. that sucks.

what also sucks is my second feeling: as an nba gm, you can't be happy with this. if you had full knowledge of the extent of his problems, you shouldn't have used a first round pick on him, period. if you didn't, then you're either mad at a lying agent or you didn't do your homework. there's a ripple effect to the inability to travel with the team. despite everyone's best efforts and intentions, the guy getting special treatment is going to be viewed as separate from the rest, and any on-court problems he has will be magnified as a result.
abeer3

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:43 am

^ Yep. From not only a business standpoint, but a basketball standpoint, this is a bad decision for Rockets management.

I feel for the guy, really I do, but this is just not the right situation for him. If something is causing me what basically amounts to mental anguish, I'm not going to continue doing that thing. For him that's half of his job description.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Frank Dux on Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:50 pm

Right now Royce White's sole focus should be getting his head straight. Which means no flying, and possibly no basketball. I think he and the Rockets should work something out where he can practice with the team, go through therapy, and see where it goes from there. I'm sure they would love to have him on the court, but they aren't going anywhere this year anyways, so it would be best to set up Royce for the best future possible.
Frank Dux
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Lakeshow24 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:13 pm

The Rock wrote:

Thanks for sharing that man. Thats crazy I didnt now it could be this detrimental to someone's life

Yeah, it's easy for "regular" folks to judge, but mental issues such as anxiety, depression, etc are LEGIT medical issues much in line with having a disease. I realized that when somebody extremely close to me was dealing with what was diagnosed as being mild depression. Even mild depression was too much for me to handle sometimes, but I had to suck it up and not be so judgmental...
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby Thenextgreat on Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:49 am

man that's too bad..this kid can really play too..
Thenextgreat

Next

Return to NBA Discussion