Rockets want Lionel Hollins as assistant coach

Postby Basketball Fan on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:43 am

I can't believe he's not been offered a HC gig he's a good one

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... ant-coach/

Kevin McHale is entering the final year of his contract with the Rockets, and general manager Daryl Morey has said he doesn’t believe lame-duck status matters.

Morey is really testing that theory.

Marc Stein of ESPN

McHale has improved in Houston, and I’d say he’s a pretty good coach.

But I believe Hollins is a better coach, and this would absolutely threaten McHale’s job – even if nobody enters the arrangement with that intention.

Hollins has previously rejected opportunities to be an assistant coach, and he interviewed this offseason with the Cavaliers and Lakers – the last two teams with openings – to become a head coach. Even though the Cavaliers appear headed in a different direction, the Lakers might still make sense if for no other reason than their search is extremely confusing.

So, there’s reason for Hollins to wait.

However, if the Lakers choose someone else, Houston could intrigue Hollins.

I can’t imagine a better place for Hollins to repair his images after disputes with the Grizzlies’ analytically inclined front office led to his ouster in Memphis. Hollins is an excellent coach who relates well to his players and has a proven record of success on defense. it’s a shame one flaw – Hollins should become more accepting of statistics, because they really don’t interfere with his coaching principles – has kept him out of the game for a year and counting.

Morey’s Rockets also heavily rely on analytics to inform their decisions, so if Hollins succeeds with them, that would say a lot about his ability to adapt. Every front-office in the NBA uses analytics to some degree, and it would be difficult to employee a coach who can’t at least work within an organization that values statistics.

If you’re wondering why Morey would want Hollins, the Houston general manager is more open-minded than he gets credit for. McHale is definitely not predisposed to using analytics, but he and Morey have complemented each other relative well.

Hollins could help upgrade Houston’s 12th-ranked defense, which allows the most points per possession in the playoffs. If he does, he’d definitely be in line to become a head coach next offseason.

In many ways, this is just Morey taking the analytical approach in building a coaching staff. The market is flooded with good coaching candidates – there’s no excuse for hiring a lackluster, either in potential or current ability, head coach this offseason – and that leaves a surplus, which includes Hollins. Most years, Hollins would have already been hired as a head coach elsewhere.

Hollins and Houston would be an interesting pairing, no doubt. If it works, the Rockets could improve enough defensively to win their first playoff series and six years and Hollins could position himself to become a head coach somewhere the following season.

Maybe even in Houston.
Basketball Fan

Re: Rockets want Lionel Hollins as assistant coach

Postby Balance&Options24 on Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:34 pm

Should take it, could eventually become their coach once Lurch is canned.
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Postby CGrand81 on Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:09 pm

That would be a fantastic hire for Houston. Their offense wasn't the issue last year, one of the best in the league. Defensive coach like that can make them a little better in that area.
CGrand81

Postby 432J on Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:37 pm

he'd be a much better fit for that team than frankenstein
432J

Postby JSM on Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:32 pm

Intervene Mitch, INTERVENE!
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Weezy on Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:16 pm

I can't believe this guy can't get a head coaching job after the job he did in Memphis and got fired for no good reason. You have teams fighting over Kerr and Fisher yet Hollins can't get a job. :man3:
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:08 pm

Weezy wrote:I can't believe this guy can't get a head coaching job after the job he did in Memphis and got fired for no good reason. You have teams fighting over Kerr and Fisher yet Hollins can't get a job. :man3:

I agree, but it makes one wonder whether there are things we as fans don't know. for example, I wasn't impressed with joerger, but then minny tried like hell to get him out of Memphis, right? you'd hope these folks know more than us.

on the other hand, I'm pretty freaking positive that I know more about basketball than john Hollinger, and he's running things in Memphis.

I think this is a weird move for Houston; not because McHale's a good coach--he's not very good. but adding to his lame duck status by bringing in a high profile assistant is kind of risky from a chemistry standpoint, imo. if you're going to bring in hollins, just fire McHale.

of course, I'm very curious to see what kind of wizardry a defensive coach has to resort to while trying to turn a wing rotation of parsons, harden, and Garcia into a good team defense, even with Dwight behind them.
abeer3

Postby CGrand81 on Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:22 pm

^^^

Garcia is a FA I believe. Think he opted out.
CGrand81

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:25 pm

Hollins got fired cause Memphis is cheap and didn't want to pay him. Also, like the article said, he isn't all into the analytics like Memphis. They got rid of Gay for this reason and was even contemplating getting rid of Zo, despite the fact that they had made the wcf, just to save money.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby LakeShow85 on Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:40 pm

Assistant? Really, why not just fire McHale,the Rockets would be better off anyway. :bang: :disagree:
If it doesn't matter who wins then why do they keep score?
Is it possible to have 2 G.O.A.T.'s
LakeShow85

Return to NBA Discussion