Rodman's goal is to be on a NBA roster this season

Will Rodman play in the NBA this season?

Poll ended at Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:57 pm

yes
29%
no
70%

Total votes : 17

Rodman's goal is to be on a NBA roster this season

Postby JSM on Sun Dec 28, 2003 4:57 pm

At the age of 42, he still thinks he has something to contribute to a team. Do you think he will make it on a roster this season? If so, how you you think he will do? Can he really provide anything positive to a team?
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby JSM on Sun Dec 28, 2003 5:00 pm

here is what Rodman and his agent think
Press Telegram: If all goes according to plan, one of greatest rebounders and defenders in basketball history will be doing a lot of rebounding and defending in the Pyramid on the evening of Jan. 16.

That's when the Jam will play host to Fresno in its 17th game of the American Basketball Association season.

And that's also when 42-year- old Dennis Rodman is due to make his ABA debut in a Jam uniform.

The 6-foot-8 Rodman signed a contract with the Jam on Friday that, in theory, could extend for the length of the franchise's 36- game season that concludes in March.

But everyone, Rodman, his agent (Darren Prince), the Jam's president (Steve Chase) and the team's coach (Earl Cureton) enters this partnership knowing it might be a relatively brief one.

Rodman's goal is to land on an NBA roster sometime this season and he and his agent figured the Jam organization and team offered him the best opportunity of turning that goal into reality.

"He feels this is the perfect place to show the (NBA) general managers and the press who will attend the games (that he is still capable of playing on the highest level of basketball),' the West Orange, N.J.-based Prince said by telephone from his office Monday.

A hefty NBA salary isn't Rodman's motivation for a return to the NBA, Prince insisted.

"He's making commercials and has endorsement deals with adidas (athletic clothing) and Upper Deck (trading cards),' Prince said. "He's a guy who has probably made $30 to $40 million in his career ... this is absolutely not a situation where he is doing this because he needs the money.'

Prince, who said that he expects Rodman will meet with the media sometime after he begins workouts with the Jam "sometime after New Year's', said Rodman began plotting a return to the NBA "last May, when he was in Mexico taping 'Celebrity Mole' and was visiting with Ahmad Rashad (the broadcaster) and reminisced about the "old days.'

He said that Rodman also wants to demonstrate to the basketball- watching world that a "New Dennis' now resides in Newport Beach.

Rodman, he said, "knows he's not 30 anymore and he understands that he's not bigger than the NBA and that he needs to respect the league that 'made him.' He wants his children to see their daddy go out 'his way', not as a clown but as someone who people respect. He thinks that if he can help some team win a title or help a team get into the playoffs, then he's done his job.'

Rodman has played little, if any, "pickup' basketball over the past few years, said Prince, and is working out with a couple of personal trainers and a physical therapist and will then attempt to get into "basketball shape' during practices with the Jam.

Management of three NBA teams (which Prince wouldn't identify) are "very interested in Dennis,' Prince said. "There are teams that would have signed him right now but I didn't feel the time was right. He's not close to being at 100 percent (playing shape) yet.'

Some within NBA front offices greeted news of Rodman signing with the Jam with a tad bit of skepticism.

"I wouldn't take him seriously as a basketball player anymore,' said a scouting director for an Eastern Conference franchise. "I'd be surprised if anyone signs him but I'm sure a lot of people will take a look.'

Said another personnel director within the league, who also didn't want to be identified by name or by the name of the franchise he works for: "He was a great player but he might be a little old. It's going to be tough to try to come back after four years.'

Come Jan. 16, Rodman will get a chance to prove to them and, no doubt, a large posse of cynics, that there is still room for a guy who no matter the hoopla that surrounded him, always rebounded and defended like scant few had before or after him.
JSM

Postby Guest on Sun Dec 28, 2003 5:10 pm

Some team will give Rodman a chance. At age 42, if his knees work, can still get 10 rebounds a game.

Doesn't Master P play on that exact team?

Postby JSM on Sun Dec 28, 2003 5:17 pm

no Master P plays for Joe Bryant's team (Vegas)
Rodman plays with DerMarr Johnson (Long Beach)
JSM

Postby FabFourLakers on Sun Dec 28, 2003 6:08 pm

Rodman definetly has a chance...if he really works at it...i know tha MAVS could definetly use him...but we all know how that turned out when he DID play for them...
FabFourLakers

Postby FabFourLakers on Sun Dec 28, 2003 6:09 pm

actually i can see Rodman goin to either tha sixers(they have major injury problems), MAGIC, or tha SUNS
FabFourLakers

Postby JSM on Sun Dec 28, 2003 6:51 pm

I think if he comes in and plays hard, he could help out a team, teach younger pf's a thing or 2 and still get a good bit of rebounds

I don't think Dallas would go for him again.
Sixers and especially the Suns I think could be a possibility.
I don't think he would mesh well with Howard in Orlando.
I think Detroit and Denver will make a run for him.

Imagine Wallace and Rodman, they would get so many rebounds it wouldn't even be funny. And Denver initially expressed interest in him, so I bet they would be willing to give him a shot if this whole ABA thing works out
JSM

Postby rydjorker121 on Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:43 pm

I see that DerMarr Johnson is trying to hone his skills in Long Beach....quota English Taxi Driver: "Where is Long Beach anyway?"

Anyway I can't imagine Rodman joining a team this year...sigh..just no way
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:30 am

i cant believe tha 6th pick in tha draft a couple yrs back, dermarr johnson...has to prove himself again that he can play in tha NBA...thats how sad tha NBA is sometimes...
FabFourLakers

Postby shaqpak34 on Mon Dec 29, 2003 8:13 am

rodman is a freak of nature so dont underestimate his ability

id o nt think his age as of now makes a difference and i think he can still hustle ont eh floor like he did

if he goes to denver, that would be one deadly team
shaqpak34

Postby NBN on Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:36 am

hm.. i think "yes"
bball
NBN

Postby JSM on Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:45 pm

Phil talked to him a week or so ago
LA Times: Dennis Rodman, preparing to prepare himself for a return to the NBA by playing a few minutes with the ABA's Long Beach Jam, apparently will not be an option, should Malone's injury linger. Jackson said he spoke to Rodman "a couple weeks ago."

"It was about his own career, where he was going, what he wanted to do with it," Jackson said.

Jackson implied that Rodman called to inquire about a place with the Lakers, and Jackson told him the roster size (15) and makeup (many forwards, some of them young) made that impossible.

"So, it wouldn't be fair to us, it wouldn't be fair to him," he said.

As for Rodman's chances at a return to the NBA at 42, Jackson said, "You know, I would hate to bet against it. He's just really a terrific athlete."

I think if Phil thinks he can do it, that's a good sign. He knows him as well as anyone and thinks he's capable of making a come back to the NBA.

I predict he will be on a team by March
JSM

Postby Realm of Shadows on Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:04 pm

With his b.s attitude and antics he belongs with the Jailblazers.
What do you get when you fall in love? You only get lies and pain and sorrow.
I feel so much like giving up
Realm of Shadows
Proud Mestizo

Postby SnakeDoctor on Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:59 pm

rodman is done

did anyone catch 'season: dennis rodman' on espn? i think that pretty much scared off any possible suitors.
SnakeDoctor

Return to NBA Discussion