Scary plane incident has the Bulls borrowing rides

Scary plane incident has the Bulls borrowing rides

Postby Basketball Fan on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:31 pm

Glad nothing happened... I get using a plane to go from Chicago to Indy its only 30 minutes as opposed to the 3 hour drive on I-65 otherwise..

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/ ... wing-rides

Mark Cuban lends plane to Bulls

A scary midair incident over the weekend had the Chicago Bulls borrowing airplanes to get around this week.

On Saturday night, the Bulls were flying to Indianapolis for Sunday's game against the Pacers.

More On The Bulls

Can't get enough NBA news and notes? ESPNChicago.com has all the latest on the Chicago Bulls. Blog

"Apparently a compressor in engine No. 3 had some trouble, and it sounded like it exploded, but I guess it's like a jet engine backfire, which is very loud," Bulls radio analyst Bill Wennington said Monday on ESPN 1000's "Waddle & Silvy Show." "Sparks fly out of it. It happened actually right after ... the captain thrusts the engines forward and it revs up and starts to go, about three seconds after that you hear a 'Boom!' 'Oh, what was that, are we stopping?' The plane keeps going down [the runway] and you're thinking, 'Oh no, why aren't we stopping?'

"It was funny, because we're in the back of the plane, and the engines are right by us, and we hear it. They can't hear it [in the front of the plane]. And apparently they couldn't feel anything. And so we take off fine, and about five minutes later, two more booms, 'Boom!, Boom!,' and a couple people saw flames and sparks and stuff flying out [while looking out of] the window. We're all thinking, 'Well, it's been nice.'"

The plane turned around and landed back at O'Hare. The players were sent home and returned the next morning to fly to Indy on the Chicago Blackhawks' charter plane, which they used to return to Chicago after the game.

"Honestly, it was really scary," Bulls television analyst Stacey King told "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on Tuesday. "We thought we were going to go down. And so they turned us back around and got us back to the airport. We made it back safely. ... So, thank God, we made it back and we were blessed to land safely.

"After getting on the ground that night, I was ready to get on a bicycle and ride to Indy. I was shook for a little bit."

King said the pilots did a good job of getting the plane back to the airport.

"I'm not going to sit up here and lie, if I had a teddy bear, I probably would have been grabbing it," he said. "It was a frightening situation. Our pilots did a good job of getting us back down. You can fly with one engine. We had an extra engine, so they had two engines left. So we weren't in any kind of danger as far as doing a nose dive. Whenever you see flames come out of an engine, that's a little bit scary."

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban lent the Bulls the Mavs' plane to fly to San Antonio on Monday night and to return after Wednesday's game. Bulls forward Lou Amundson tweeted his appreciation to Cuban for the lift.

"Our plane broke, @mcuban loaned us his, nice guy...," Amundson tweeted in the early hours of Thursday morning. Cuban later retweeted it.

Wennington said there was no panic on the plane Saturday.

"We turn around, everything was fine, other than that you wouldn't have known -- after the second boom the plane dropped and rattled a little bit -- but other than that you wouldn't have known anything was wrong, and we landed back safely," he said. "There's three engines on the plane, and everything was fine and it worked out, but while it's happening to you up there, and you're looking down and you're 10,000 feet in the air, you're thinking, 'Hmmmm.'

"It was amazing how quiet it was. Everyone was pretty serious about it. Everyone remained pretty calm, but you can see a lot of faces of concern and a couple of Hail Marys going up, but other than that, no [panic]."

The Bulls' plane is expected to be fixed and used for the rest of the season.
Basketball Fan

Re: Scary plane incident has the Bulls borrowing rides

Postby jimbo327 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:04 pm

I would have crapped a brick.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby 432J on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:08 am

pretty sure cuban wouldn't have let the lakers borrow the mavs plane
:man1:

so scary though nonetheless
432J

Postby shush on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:38 am

similar thing happened to me this past summer. shortly after takeoff, heard a boom and saw flames coming out of an engine. 'Well, it's been nice.'" was exactly how i felt lol
yes it's true. i don't like d-fish
shush

Postby Finwë on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:03 pm

shush wrote:similar thing happened to me this past summer. shortly after takeoff, heard a boom and saw flames coming out of an engine. 'Well, it's been nice.'" was exactly how i felt lol

lol
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:23 pm

ok Mark Cuban, +1
Chillbongo

Postby Weezy on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:57 pm

I sometimes wonder if someday a team plane will go down, NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL, some league, and how it can possibly be dealt with. It's a scary thought to me, an entire pro team just gone, if would rock the city, the league, could a season even go on from that point? I really hope it never happens.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby D.B. Cooper on Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:45 pm

Marshall lost a college football team back in the day in a plane crash, iirc.
D.B. Cooper

Postby 432J on Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:09 pm

Weezy wrote:I sometimes wonder if someday a team plane will go down, NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL, some league, and how it can possibly be dealt with. It's a scary thought to me, an entire pro team just gone, if would rock the city, the league, could a season even go on from that point? I really hope it never happens.

happened in the KHL a couple years ago (russian hockey league)

the entire Lokomotiv Yaroslavl team including the coaching staff died when the team's plane crashed

terrible tragedy
432J

Postby Snake Eyes on Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:14 pm

432J wrote:
Weezy wrote:I sometimes wonder if someday a team plane will go down, NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL, some league, and how it can possibly be dealt with. It's a scary thought to me, an entire pro team just gone, if would rock the city, the league, could a season even go on from that point? I really hope it never happens.

the entire Lokomotiv Yaroslavl team including the coaching staff died when the team's plane crashed

terrible tragedy

Yup, they were carrying a few guys who played in the NHL too. Ruslan Salei formerly of the Anaheim Ducks perished in that crash. He played his previous season with Detroit.
Snake Eyes

Postby thebluemamba14 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:45 pm

Pretty crazy stuff. I feel like this stuff happens all the time! I can't trust a plane. I don't feel safe.
thebluemamba14

Postby 432J on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:32 pm

Snake Eyes wrote:
432J wrote:

terrible tragedy

Yup, they were carrying a few guys who played in the NHL too. Ruslan Salei formerly of the Anaheim Ducks perished in that crash. He played his previous season with Detroit.

yeah there were a handful of ex-NHL'ers on that plane including salei and also pavol demitra who had a pretty successful NHL career with a few teams and made a few all-star teams
432J

Postby Weezy on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:30 am

I was aware of the Marshall incident because of the movie, though I wasn't aware of the KHL incident. Those are indeed tragedies, the lost lives mean just as much as any others, but I still can't imagine it happening in the big leagues like the NBA/MLB/NFL/NHL. Like I said entire cities of fans would be devastated, a team would have to be built up from scratch somehow, I don't see how the rest of the season could go on in the wake of something like that. Again, hope it never happens, but I feel like with how many planes these guys take it seems inevitable at some point.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Return to NBA Discussion