It seems like the coach carousel may continue to spin

It seems like the coach carousel may continue to spin

Postby JSM on Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:22 pm

Ok, George Karl, Doug Collins, Pat Riley, Doc Rivers, and Lenny Wilkins are all without a coaching job. Look for some more coaches to be added and taken off that list soon. Many teams are unhappy with their current coach, and will probably end up getting one of the guys from that list. When can you expect to see more coaching changes?...Probably in the near future based on how some teams having been playing recently.

Now changing coaches and having to get used to a new style half way through the year might not necessarily be a smart move, but that won't stop teams from making the moves. This past summer was one of the busiest years for coaches. A lot of them moved on to a new team, or had to adapt to having several new players (many of them already being superstars). So let's give the coaches that still have their jobs and are doing good with all their new acquisitions, it ain't easy. And now, along with trying to take on all that some coaches have to also worry about their job security, not knowing where they will be in a few weeks.

So here are some coaches that are in jeopardy and a breakdown of the situation:

Byron Scott-rumors have been circulating about him getting the boot since, well, this summer. The Nets are doing worse that they have in a couple of years, and if they don't get back up to par, and playing how they did the past two years, then Scott will get blamed and get kicked out. Plus Scott, and the teams superstar, have been rumored to not get along all that well, and without Kidd they are nothing. So, if it gets down to Kidd or Scott...expect the Nets to show Scott the door. Should they get rid of him?...only if they struggle a lot this year, and could get George Karl or Lenny Wilkins.

Johnny Davis-When the Magic decided to have him as their coach, and not go after a big name coach, it surprised a lot of people, I think even T-Mac to some degree. They game Doc 10 losses before he was sent packing, how many are they going to give Davis? If they give him the same deal, then tomorrow's game will be his last. They are in desperate need of leadership, they aren't getting any from Davis or T-Mac...this is where they miss Armstrong, they are going to have to get it from somewhere...and it will probably mean hiring a big name coach. George Karl anyone? Well, whatever they do it is going to have to be soon. They are losing support each and every game they lose, and have become the laughingstock of the NBA; this is not the type of attention I think they want.

Jim O'Brien-rumors of him being let go have also been around for awhile now, but have been off and on. Their problem isn't a coach, it's they got rid of Pierce's only help and have to have Baker (even though he is playing quite well) as their second option. Rumors of him getting fired will probably start heating back up, after they blew their 29 point lead against the Suns. I really don't see why they want to get rid of him, either. Perhaps, Ainge wants to get one of his former coaches or teammates to coach for them. He hasn't made the best moves since he's been there, so him getting rid of O' Brien wouldn't surprise me.

Nate McMillan-this one is new. Ray Allen better return soon, if Nate want to salvage his career. Because Nate and management aren't getting along all that well. Maybe, they don't like how he running the show, maybe they think that Murray should start, but McMillan certainly hasn't helped his job security any. According to the The News Tribune he was very mad after they lost to the Jazz on 11/28. So mad, he said the following: "Forget the owner. Forget the CEO. Forget the general manager. From now on, we are doing things my way. I am not here to develop players who don't deserve playing time. I am here to win. I am going to give minutes to the players who earn their minutes. I am going to play the guys who played like I played: hard, scrappy, defense-first."

Terry Stotts-whenever your job title reads as follow: "head coach of the Atlanta Hawks" your job is in jeopardy. He did a decent job with them last season, but they didn't live up to their playoff promise. And as of now, they are 7th in their division. No, they won't make the playoffs this year either. How much longer will management just sit back and watch them fail year in and year out, not making the playoffs since they had Lenny. They have to add some big name player (what they are trying to do next season) and hire a big name coach to coach this new talented free agents. I don't think they will fire Stotts during this season, but he won't be welcomed back next year. Their have been rumors of the Hawks trying to go after Doc Rivers last year, and now that he's out of a job, and will have taken some time off from coaching. He will be ready to coach next year, (he will probably buy out the rest of his ABC deal) and expect the Hawks to make a call to him, will they get him?...hopefully, cause I am sick of seeing them suck.

Image Rady Ayers- The team is struggling, and they will blame the rookie coach Ayers. They won't do as well as they did last season, because Brown is a much better coach with more experience. Ayers is a coach who is learning how to be AI's head coach (not exactly the easiest task in the world). This season he has had to deal with a team that has had to battle it's fair share of injuries, but the management will magically forget that players were injured and part of the reason for their losses, and will blame Ayers for the losses. Also, the recent defiance by Coleman and comments by the Answer won't help his campaign to stay in the city of brotherly love. Reports have it that Iverson wasn't too happy about the decision to have Ayers as his head coach, he wanted Woodson or Cheeks. ESPN says: Ayers sent Samuel Dalembert to the scorer's table to replace Derrick Coleman, who saw Dalembert coming and bellowed, "Hell no." Coach Coleman, according to witnesses, loudly, uh, suggested that Dalembert return to the bench. Ayers, witnesses say, relented and told Dalembert to go in for Thomas instead. So it doesn't seem like Ayers is the most popular person in the Sixers' organization, and if more reports start coming out about players wither not liking him or not listening to him...then expect him to be out the door as soon as they finish their season.

Image Don Chaney- Since Thomas has taken over the team the have started doing better, but he is in there to make changes...and one of those changes will be firing Chaney. Everyone knows it is coming, the question is when. The bigger mystery is who will be his replacement. Thomas has said he is interested in coaching again, so he could be a manager/coach or he could hire someone he is close to or someone he knows. So while Thomas continues to shake things up in the Big Apple we can only be left to wonder when he makes the decision to give Chaney the ax.

Here are two other coaches, who may need to look for another job, but it will be determined on how they do this year:

Terry Porter-he seems to be liked by the players and the Buck community, so his job will probably be safe. They only way it wouldn't be, is if they end up one of the last couple teams in their conference and they feel it's his fault. He may get blamed, because he is the coach and he's new; perfect way to escape the fact that it was management's fault they lost Payton, Cassell, Allen, and Murray.

Stan Van Gundy-Heat have only won 5 games this year, they will miss Riley, and this Van Gundy isn't quite as good as his brother at being a head coach. Whether he stays or not is determined by how bad management wants to make them a playoff contender again. If they are satisfied being a lottery team for a couple more years, get a few FA's, and a couple good draft picks...then make a run for the playoffs in 2 or so years; then Van Gundy has nothing to worry about, but if they are adamant about making a push soon, then I think they will look elsewhere for a coach. I don't see Van Gundy being a coach that could lead them to the playoffs.

Fired-Frank Johnson- that's right, the coach for the Suns, his job maybe in jeopardy. In fact, Detroit News reports he could be out of a job by Wednesday, right after they finish their 4 game Eastern trip. Even though they are 2nd to last in their division, I don't think that's any reason to fire Johnson. They are just looking for a new style and change in how things are done. Rumor is, that the Suns are considering hiring Doug Collins, I really don't think he would do much better than Johnson, but it would certainly be interesting to see if he could do better with them than he did with the Wizards. Hopefully, if Collins gets the job, he gain gain the respect of his players, something he was unable to do in Washington. Granted these guys are old, more matured players, and that don't go crying to management when they don't get playing time (like Kwame Brown did), they still might not listen to him, because it seems like most of the players there like Johnson.

Well that's all the coaching rumors, updates, and news.
Last edited by JSM on Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby lakerchris2004 on Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:55 pm

All this makes me happy that we have the best coach ever. I don't care what anybody says about Phil already having stars on his team. You have to find a way to get those stars to work together and produce. After this year:

Move over Red. Phil is getting number 10, 1 more than you have!!!!
"Throw it down son!!!"- Bill Walton
lakerchris2004

Postby lakerchris2004 on Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:57 pm

Regarding the coaches on that list I think the only one who is safe is Terry Porter. No one expected the Bucks to be playing as well as they are. If Terry Porter is fired it will be an injustice.
"Throw it down son!!!"- Bill Walton
lakerchris2004

Postby Danny Ainge on Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:33 pm

Oh don't worry, Porter is not going anywhere, he'll be given at least two years to deal with these young guns. Playoffs this year are a definite possibility considering the ever intriguing east.
Big props to UGOTOWN3D for the avy.
DA fan club:UGOTOWN3D, Realm Of Shadows, DarthRekal, SOAD, hZm
http://www.clubkingshoops.com/forums//
Danny Ainge

Postby FabFourLakers on Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:36 pm

I think stan van gundy is in jeopardy...he is not playin caron butler AT ALL, who was tha Heat's best player last year and looked like he was about to break out and be a star in this league...but what does he do? he benches him and plays Odom over him...they either need to trade Butler to get a big man in return, or fire Van Gundy and start playing Butler more! That is ridiculous this guy avg like 15 ppg last year and hes barely avg 5 ppg this year!

Nate Mcmillan needs to be fired, he benched murray, who i thot was their best player and they were WINNING when he was starting, and now theyre losing when hes comin off tha bench!
FabFourLakers

Postby FabFourLakers on Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:39 pm

With Murray in tha starting lineup, they went 7-6

with him off tha bench, they're 2-2...

i'll be watchin their record VERY closely as they continue to bring him off tha bench...
FabFourLakers

Postby JSM on Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:32 pm

Well it looks like Frank Johnson is the first coach to get fired that was on my list.

For details, go here: http://www.clublakers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5696
JSM

Postby FabFourLakers on Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:20 pm

wtf are tha suns doin hiring d'ntoni or whatever...they will lose even more with him...why arent these teams hiring big name coaches to get tha team's attention? suns better get thomas before chicago or orlando does...
FabFourLakers

Postby Gold Brick on Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:46 pm

I think George Karl is the best coach avail. Any Team that doesnt pick him up isnt thinking right imho. Heck I would Take George Karl as the Lakers next Head Coach after Phil. Yeah I like him that much.
Gold Brick

Postby JSM on Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:58 pm

I have updated the list of coaches and added a couple of names, so be sure to check it out. :jam2:
JSM

Postby rydjorker121 on Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:09 pm

There are some points in which I disagree with you:

Byron Scott won't get fired right now. His team is in the midst of probably one of the best times of the season after that 47-point blowout loss to Memphis. At 17-14, they've won seven out of their last 10 games and with Eddie Griffin coming, its highly unlikely that Scott will get the sack, since Griffin should be a positive spark backing up Kenyon Martin.

Johnny Davis is susceptible but once again, I think John Gabriel wants to experiment with Davis first before doing anything to him. After all, he already gave Doc Rivers the sack and he probably won't fire twice; that'll cause turmoil and havoc not only to the players, but also organization. Johnny's gonna be given a chance to let this Magic team try to redeem its 8-24 record, and Gabriel will probably give him the green light.

Jim O'Brien and Nate MacMillan are not really on the news anymore in terms of getting the sack; I mean, there's really no better coach out there other than them and when you get a new coach there's new chemistry. It's a very mild form of a sign of rebuilding, and Boston and Seattle have got able teams and able coaches, at least in my opinion. These guys would also be given the green light.

Terry Stotts is also given the green light too, I'll assure you.

Randy Ayers and Don Chaney are now the new guys on the news so you can expect things to happen to them in the near future.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby ZenMaster4President on Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:58 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:I think stan van gundy is in jeopardy...he is not playin caron butler AT ALL, who was tha Heat's best player last year and looked like he was about to break out and be a star in this league...but what does he do? he benches him and plays Odom over him...they either need to trade Butler to get a big man in return, or fire Van Gundy and start playing Butler more! That is ridiculous this guy avg like 15 ppg last year and hes barely avg 5 ppg this year!

Nate Mcmillan needs to be fired, he benched murray, who i thot was their best player and they were WINNING when he was starting, and now theyre losing when hes comin off tha bench!

I thought, you are smarter than that!
Murray did not play any defense whatsoever and Buttler is a handfull - so for the last its probably a lesson given, as for the first - je is gonna be traded!
Pau Gasol yesterday morning when asked about Dwight Howard: "I haven't called. Calls are expensive."
ZenMaster4President

Postby FabFourLakers on Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:04 pm

yea i guess i was wrong about van gundy and mcmillan's coaching...both teams are doin good now..especially tha heat...but they should still do somethin with caron butler...he has a whole lot of potential...trade him to get a BIG MAN...maybe trade Caron Butler for Kurt Thomas?

and Randy Ayers is not a bad coach...its jus too many injuries...but i agree, me bein a sixer fan, i was upset when they hired AYERS as head coach...i mean even with AI injured...he can still win some games using GLENN ROBINSON...i mean hes struggling but then again hes not used enuff in tha offense to be effective

TERRY STOTTS needs to be fired...he hasnt done anythin and icant believe they re-signed him...
FabFourLakers

Postby Kobe834 on Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:44 pm

Someones gotta sign Lenny Wilkens. Knicks maybe?
Kobe834

Return to NBA Discussion