Shannon Brown On Being Benched For 2 Months & Being Lied To

Shannon Brown On Being Benched For 2 Months & Being Lied To

Postby Kobe8Fan on Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:34 am

By Paul Coro azcentral sports Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:08 PM

Shannon Brown sits aside the practice court. He is done with his work but unable to let go of a basketball or his intensity as he discusses becoming the Suns’ odd man out.

For a season and a half, Brown’s eyes widened when his play intensified for Phoenix. The topic of going from starter to bench fixture for two months also widens his eyes.

“I did what I needed to do as a starter and handled my business,” Brown said. “For some reason, they want to cut my legs from under me. I know I’m built for it. I did a great job of holding my composure and not letting it get to me to where I did something detrimental to my career. I showed a lot of character by sitting back while I was taken advantage of in a lot of ways. I’ve done everything asked of me in practice and made sure to show these people what time it is. It definitely hurts to sit on the bench, watching us lose night in and night out knowing I can help and being lied to. It’s been a crazy year. I’m just glad I made it through.”

Shortly after Lindsey Hunter became interim head coach, Brown moved to the end of the bench to create playing time for Wes Johnson, who is averaging 13.5 points as a starter. Brown made spot appearances in five of the past 27 games when Hunter was displeased with the team’s effort. Out of respect, Hunter said he would not use Brown in mop-up duty but also did not play him Saturday night when only nine other players were available at Minnesota.

“I was told that it would change,” Brown said. “It’s one thing hoping. It’s another thing being told that and it doesn’t happen. I could see if we were winning, but we just won our first game in 11 games.

“The part that hurts most is, whenever I step on the court, I give whatever I got even though it might not be the best situation. I give it all until it hurts. It hurts even more when you’re always fighting an uphill mountain-climb battle with no gear, butt-naked out there, clawing and scratching. People come to me and apologize for what’s going on.”

Asked who pledged a change or lied, Brown only said, “The people in charge.”

Brown said he was given lip service rather than a reason. The Suns have gone 7-20 since the change, falling to last place in the Western Conference. Brown only shot 41.6 percent this season but had a career-best scoring average until his time became minimal.

“Based on the landscape, every guy had to assume anything from one to 14 depending on the night, situation, who’s healthy, if we’re winning — who’s coaching, for that matter,” Suns General Manager Lance Blanks said. “We don’t control minutes. We’ve got a lot of competitive guys. We’ve got guys who can play two and three (swingmen positions). Goran (Dragic) has played the two with Kendall (Marshall). I don’t know how many times I would have done that if I were coaching. Our job is to fill the team, give the coach what we think are the best options and then let the chips fall based on what they see. I don’t think it impacts the type of player he is or the level of contribution. It’s just situational. Everyone, at some level, has had to deal with the frustrations.”

Brown spins an upside that he is saving his body for next season. The Suns have Brown under contract for next season at $3.5 million, but only $1.75 million is guaranteed. That makes trading him easier or waiving him more palatable, but Blanks notes that he was in the Cleveland front office that drafted Brown in 2006.

“I don’t think you could predict that this impacts anything next year,” Blanks said.

Brown has been in the D-League and won a championship. He was waived and traded. Last summer, he worked out in Phoenix to convince the Suns to re-sign him. Now, he is benched.

“I’m glad I didn’t let my emotions get the best of me and lash out like I normally do,” Brown said. “Younger Shannon Brown would’ve been out of the NBA for doing something he couldn’t handle. I’ve been through enough.”

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/ar ... -suns.html
Kobe8Fan

Re: Shannon Brown On Being Benched For 2 Months & Being Lied To

Postby khmrP on Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:03 am

I'd welcome him back for the vet min. Peace out to Meeks, its not like he's that much better 3pt shooter than Brown anyways, mechanics/form whatevers I'm sure Meeks is better but % wise, they'd be bout the same eventually and whatever is lacking with Browns 3pt shooting he makes up for it with his athleticism and finishing ability.
khmrP

Postby Finwë on Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:51 am

^^ agreed, he'd be good for us
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby therealdeal on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:05 am

Well I'd like him back, but I don't think he's any better than Meeks at all. Maybe a tad, but not much.

His athleticism is what I'd love back on the bench.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:17 am

Would LOVE Shannon Brown back on this team simply for his athleticism and really his shot isn't so bad.
FabFourLakers

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:19 am

He was a solid role player until he thought he was Kobe, then he turned into a headache. Dribble, dribble, dribble, step back 3 pointer.....fail.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:40 am

Doc Brown wrote:He was a solid role player until he thought he was Kobe, then he turned into a headache. Dribble, dribble, dribble, step back 3 pointer.....fail.

This.

Also once he started doing this his defense went down the drain.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:42 am

Phil kept giving him the greenlight to chuck in the 2nd part of the 2010-2011 season was one of the most unexplainable thing I witnessed in Lakers history
wcsoldier81

Postby XXIV on Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:16 pm

I'd definitely welcome him back as we desperately need some speed and athleticism. If he's smart with his shots and plays solid defense he can be a real asset to this team.

Is he a FA next season?
XXIV

Postby Weezy on Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:23 pm

Man you guys have a short memory. :man10: When he left everyone here was happy to show him the door, while he was playing his last games people were screaming at him for chucking and playing stupid basketball. I guess looking back on winning brings up fond memories, because he was a big part of our championship run, hit big 3's, brought major energy off the bench. I would bring him back cheap though, he's a better player overall now from what I've seen and he still brings energy and athleticism we lack.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:28 pm

i do remember everyone here being happy that he left but not me

yes he turned into a chucker over the course of his last season but i'd love to see shannon back. his speed and athleticism is something this team needs badly and i'd say he would be an upgrade over meeks because of that. let's not forget the big part he played off the bench on those championship teams and the fact that he can take it to the hoop. do it mitch
432J

Postby gcclaker on Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:42 pm

Brown would be a good fit in D'Antoni's system. He's a better defender than Meeks given his size, speed and athleticism we are all familiar with. My biggest gripe with Brown when he was here was his habit of losing his defensive assignment who usually was the best perimeter shooter on the floor.
Nor can the Lakers get blamed for always making the right decisions over decades. At some point its not just luck or "gamble", its superior management and superior ownership.
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:37 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:He was a solid role player until he thought he was Kobe, then he turned into a headache. Dribble, dribble, dribble, step back 3 pointer.....fail.

This.

Also once he started doing this his defense went down the drain.

Both of these ^
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:33 am

dude got a little pub for playing well off of Kobe and his head got too big. Now just like Ego Ears he is realing from thinking them draws was big enough to be the man
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby karacha on Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:15 pm

He does have the talent though, and can contribute. Just have to keep him under control.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Return to NBA Discussion