Shaq's not the only one getting fined for dissing a ref

Shaq's not the only one getting fined for dissing a ref

Postby JSM on Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:16 pm

What do-Shaq, Payton, and Scott Skiles have in common...they all have gotten in trouble recently for commenting on how bad the refereeing has been. Shaq got suspended, Skiles got fined, and Payton got an ejection.

ESPN: Scott Skiles was fined $7,500 by the NBA on Wednesday for criticizing referee Jess Kersey.

Kersey was a referee for the Bulls' 106-97 loss in Seattle on Monday and Skiles complained afterward that he was being ignored throughout the game.

"Jess turned his back on me from the beginning of the game," Skiles said. "I'm not sure why. He was a big baby. It's a shame for a guy of his experience to be that way."

During Monday's game, Kersey called Tyson Chandler for a second technical foul, which results in an automatic ejection.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby JSM on Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:18 pm

anyone think if there continues to be a lot of complains about the refs within the next few weeks, Stern might have to look into the situation and possible get rid of/get some new refs?

Because it seems like there has been more compains about the refs than there usually is
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Guest on Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:29 pm

jess kersey isn't a new ref. Just someone who has had too many years under his belt and is senile and thinks his whistle gives him ultimate power. What preluded to this incident was Scott skile calling the league office to reprimand kerse for an incident earlier in the season. The league came down on him and he became bitter about. Thus holding a grudge.

And that's what is see with the lakers game. Refs hold grudges and can't call it consistently to punish a team or players. Not very professional if you ask me.

Return to NBA Discussion