Shareef wants out

Shareef wants out

Postby JSM on Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:05 pm

I don't blame him, but this could be a big trade between the Hawks and someone, if he is traded. I wonder if Thomas would want him, if he couldn't get Sheed. Well he could certainly help out a lot of teams. Here is some dirt on the situation

The Akron Beacon Journal: A source close to Shareef Abdur-Rahim reports last week's 46-point thrashing by the Lakers was just about ``the last straw'' and he wants out of Atlanta.

A few days ago, the Hawks were unwilling to swap Shareef Abdur-Rahim ($13.5M/$14.6M) and throw-in Chris Crawford ($3M/$3.2M) for Rashweed. That's hardly true any longer. The Blazers would be able to justify picking up an extra year on both of those contracts, I submit, because they can sell Shareef's statistics (20.7 points/ 8.5 rebounds over seven seasons before this one) and his police record is spotless.

Sund's theory on an elite basketball team is to have three players who are among the top 10 at their positions.

They have that in Ray Allen, and though it is arguable, some would suggest that Rashard Lewis is among the top 10 small forwards in the league.

With averages of almost 20 points and 10 rebounds a game, it could be argued that Abdur-Rahim is among the top 10 players at power forward. Having all three players together, feeding off one another, likely would increase their value.

To get Abdur-Rahim, the Sonics likely would have to give up a package that includes Jerome James (could be in the final year of his contract because he has an option), Brent Barry (in the final year of his contract) and Vladimir Radmanovic (a talented young player with a small salary).

There are other combinations, like Ronald Murray and Reggie Evans instead of Radmanovic, or Potapenko instead of James.

Still, unless the Hawks come calling and want to offer some of their talent - Theo Ratliff and Franklin High graduate Jason Terry also are likely to be shopped - the Sonics are unlikely to do much.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Guest on Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:07 pm

Send him to LA.

Postby shaqpak34 on Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:15 pm

no man not to LA, we need to build chemistry now that we got superstars, so unless u gona give up one of the fab four, i dont think its worth it

we gotta learn to play together and not just get more ppl and destroy our team like the mavs

i think the most effective way to build a team is, unless of course u are in a dire need of superstars, get like 2 superstars and build a team round em wit role playas, and keep the same group of playas for a LONG time

MJ and his bulls just changed role playas, not big name playas, and they won six, so i think the lakes should stay the way they are

i have a feeling the mavs will try nd go after shareef

i like the idea of him goin to the sonics, but they gotta release or trade lotta their playas like murray nd rashard lewis or theyll end up like the mavs

the knicks might want him too, thatd be cool cus shareef would be the big man that marbury needs, a person kinda lik marion
shaqpak34

Postby SWOL on Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:34 pm

WHO IN THIER RIGHT MIND WOULD ACTUALLY WANT TO BE IN ATLANTA
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby JSM on Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:44 pm

Stephen Jackson for some reason, he took less money to come here. The Spurs were offering him a multi-year/multi-million doll deal, and he turned all that down, to play for the Hawks...let's hope he was intoxicated, because someone would have to be half dumb to want to be in ATL
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby FabFourLakers on Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:52 pm

jsm0331 wrote:Stephen Jackson for some reason, he took less money to come here. The Spurs were offering him a multi-year/multi-million doll deal, and he turned all that down, to play for the Hawks...let's hope he was intoxicated, because someone would have to be half dumb to want to be in ATL

naw jackson turned down tha offer cuz he thot he could get a better offer from another team...boy was he wrong about that...and plus i think he was lookin for a long term deal with tha spurs and they only gave him 3 yrs....haha now hes in Atlanta and is suffering...

yea i think shareef MIGHT go tot ha sonics...but u'd be surprised what tha hawks would get in return...they wouldnt get a rashard lewis or a ray allen in return...they would prolly get a Vitaly Potapenko, Brent Barry and Jerome James in return...i can see tha hawks makin a stupid trade like that...
FabFourLakers

Postby Kobe834 on Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:26 pm

Atlanta should swap their whole roster for Sacramento's bench. It would actually be worth something.
Kobe834

Postby lakerfanimal on Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:30 pm

this is kina mean, but no matta wer shareef goes, hes never gona win, thats the way God made it for him, hes never had a winning season in his career, hes gona be one of those really good players on horribly sucky teams
ImageImage
lakerfanimal

Postby rydjorker121 on Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:34 pm

Actually Stephen Jackson is aware that he made the wrong choice by going to Atlanta:...After he said, "Losing ain't for me!" the Hawks dropped their next three games. I'll put the blame on Stephen, too; he's shooting like 39% from the field and 28% on threes, I don't know whether it's because Atlanta has lousy point guards who can't pass or something, but if anything Billy McKnight better get the hitch riled up for new ownership 'cause he's angering some of his own players. I feel for Shareef Abdur-Rahim and Theo Ratliff and Jason Terry; they're like the only contributors to their lousy team. Usually three stars are enough but in the Hawks case they've just gone from very bad and very very very bad and that's not cutting it, sides having a lousy coach in Terry Stotts. No bench too unless you count Chris Crawford, Jacque Vaughn and Henderson. And Boris Diaw is a rookie.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby FabFourLakers on Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:05 pm

rydjorker121 wrote:Actually Stephen Jackson is aware that he made the wrong choice by going to Atlanta:...After he said, "Losing ain't for me!" the Hawks dropped their next three games. I'll put the blame on Stephen, too; he's shooting like 39% from the field and 28% on threes, I don't know whether it's because Atlanta has lousy point guards who can't pass or something, but if anything Billy McKnight better get the hitch riled up for new ownership 'cause he's angering some of his own players. I feel for Shareef Abdur-Rahim and Theo Ratliff and Jason Terry; they're like the only contributors to their lousy team. Usually three stars are enough but in the Hawks case they've just gone from very bad and very very very bad and that's not cutting it, sides having a lousy coach in Terry Stotts. No bench too unless you count Chris Crawford, Jacque Vaughn and Henderson. And Boris Diaw is a rookie.

I think atlanta has tha TALENT to make tha playoffs IN THE EAST...but damn why dont they fire their coach first? they needa new image....no body wants to go to Atlanta...shareef is stuck there and terry tried to get away but atlanta kept him....they should jus trade their whole team away and jus get tha #1 pick this season and then rebuild much like tha nuggs did...i believe they are gonna be under tha cap this summer with terrell brandon's contract comin off tha books...i think they can make a run at a couple of FAs who are lookin for some big bucks...maybe quentin richardson?
FabFourLakers

Postby wongy on Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:49 am

Responding to Lakerfanimal's post, The reason Sharif and a lot of top stars won't win a ring is that THEY JUST ASK FOR TOOOOO MUCH MONEY!! If they want a ring take the minimum for a year, go to a contender, win your ring, then go back on the market and get your bucks... :man7:
"Stu" should be the man...
wongy

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:44 am

wongy wrote:Responding to Lakerfanimal's post, The reason Sharif and a lot of top stars won't win a ring is that THEY JUST ASK FOR TOOOOO MUCH MONEY!! If they want a ring take the minimum for a year, go to a contender, win your ring, then go back on the market and get your bucks... :man7:

wongy...thats not tha way things work...not every player wants to win a championship...some players jus want to be good and get tha bucks to have a good living for their family and themselves...others have tha heart to get tha big bucks AND win tha whole thing...that jus seperates tha good and great players in this league...
FabFourLakers

Return to NBA Discussion