Sheed 2 ATL, Shareef & Ratliff 2 POR (Official)

Sheed 2 ATL, Shareef & Ratliff 2 POR (Official)

Postby ATM The Minck on Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:34 pm

rasheed wallace and person will be sent to atlanta

abdur-rahim, ratliff, and dan dickau. Poor zach randolph. now he'll do worse with those two.
ATM The Minck

Postby JSM on Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:36 pm

where did you hear this rumor?
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby SWOL on Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:43 pm

WHY IS THIS LAKERS DISCUSSION
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby rydjorker121 on Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:53 pm

ATM, you're absolutely correct...its all over the Portland message boards right now...and add Damon Stoudamire to the mix...this is cleaning house for Portland, there's going to be a press conference meeting in 9:30 PT....these are just rumors as of now but it looks like its gonna be confirmed anytime soon...

Portland is generally lookin to be straight trading two weed players and a useless player in Wesley Person and they get a better frontcourt in Abdur-Rahim and Ratliff, and of course, a player to replace Stoudamire in Dan Dickau..

but for some reason it doesn't work in RealGM :man3:
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby rydjorker121 on Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:55 pm

never mind about Damon Stoudamire...it works financially for both teams...it looks all but done

Atlanta trades: PF Shareef Abdur-Rahim (20.0 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 2.4 apg in 36.8 minutes)
C Theo Ratliff (8.3 ppg, 7.1 rpg, 0.9 apg in 31.1 minutes)
PG Dan Dickau (2.1 ppg, 0.7 rpg, 0.8 apg in 6.2 minutes)
Atlanta receives: SF Rasheed Wallace (17.0 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 2.5 apg in 37.2 minutes)
SG Wesley Person (6.1 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 1.2 apg in 18.5 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -7.3 ppg, -8.6 rpg, and -0.4 apg.

Portland trades: SF Rasheed Wallace (17.0 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 2.5 apg in 37.2 minutes)
SG Wesley Person (6.1 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 1.2 apg in 18.5 minutes)
Portland receives: PF Shareef Abdur-Rahim (20.0 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 2.4 apg in 52 games)
C Theo Ratliff (8.3 ppg, 7.1 rpg, 0.9 apg in 52 games)
PG Dan Dickau (2.1 ppg, 0.7 rpg, 0.8 apg in 22 games)
Change in team outlook: +7.3 ppg, +8.6 rpg, and +0.4 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Atlanta and Portland being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Atlanta and Portland had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

k

Postby ATM The Minck on Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:57 pm

just heard it...........b/c now portland grows stronger. that's why. and Lakers always lose in Portland, but now we might beat them with sheed gone. Lakers losing in Port. happens as often as Portland at Staples vs clippers goes to OT. Both scenarios happen each time.

LAL @ POR = Loss
POR @ LAC = OT/Buzzer Shot.

LAL @ CHI = Loss 4 lakers
LAL @ GSW = Loss etc..
LAL @ BOS = Loss
LAL @ SEA = Loss
LAL @ HOU = Loss
LAL @ MIN = Loss
LAL @ TOR = Lakers win by 3pts or less.
LAL @ MIA = Loss every other time.

Lakers are cursed in some arenas, it's been like this forever.
ATM The Minck

Postby JSM on Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:01 pm

JSM

Postby wongy on Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:21 pm

:man4: WoW!!! Portland really made out .. now they got Ratliff and Randolph under the boards plus a 20 point scorer in AbRahim.. watch out, the Blazers will be there in the playoffs.. How did Rasheed stand for it?? Didn't he want to go to a contender?? I see his career totally sliding being with a team like Atlanta.. :man7:
"Stu" should be the man...
wongy

Postby JSM on Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:23 pm

wow, this is very surprising. I live in ATL and didn't know anything about it till ATM posted this. I think it help the Blazers and the Hawks.

The Blazers get rid of Wallace, finally, and get Shareef and Theo. That gives them a great starting 5
Theo
Zach
Shareef
Miles
Damon

And the Hawks get Sheed, and Person, both guys that know how to win. But they lose some depth. I think the main reason they did this is-Sheed is a free agent after this season, which means more cap room. Here is their starting 5:
Nazr
Sheed
Jackson
Person
JT
JSM

Postby Mookie on Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:24 pm

WOW, I think Blazers get the best of it!
Mookie

Postby JSM on Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:27 pm

the Blazers now have one of the best frontcourts in the league, and they are still young, too
JSM

Postby wongy on Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:30 pm

I can't see Sheed accepting this trade.. I don't think this is settled.. not in his mind..
wongy

Postby JSM on Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:32 pm

wongy wrote:I can't see Sheed accepting this trade.. I don't think this is settled.. not in his mind..

He don't care, he will only be in ATL for 2 months. The Hawks aren't going to the playoffs, so after 2 months...he can go wherever he wants
JSM

Postby wongy on Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:43 pm

:man3: Atlanta knows this.. why did they do it?? they know he won't stay.. couldn't be to clear cap space, considering Raheem and Ratliff were like their franchise players..
wongy

Postby JSM on Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:45 pm

wongy wrote::man3: Atlanta knows this.. why did they do it?? they know he won't stay.. couldn't be to clear cap space, considering Raheem and Ratliff were like their franchise players..

yeah it could. The people that are in the process of buying the Hawks told management to clear out as much cap space as possible, and clean house. Well, that's what they did. They traded 2 guys that had a contract, for a guy that will only suit up for them for 2 months, that's if he isn't suspended from the league for 1/2 that time.
JSM

Postby Guest on Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:51 pm

Blazers and Hawks both trade $24 million a yearf in contracts. Only difference is Both Person and Wallace are unrestricted free-agents this summer while Ratliff and Rahim have another year on their contract.

This is a good move points and defense wise for the Blazers, but they lose the lockerroom leadership in Wallace. Wallace wouldn't let the team lose, Rahim and Ratliff could care less.

Still a great trade for Portland.

Postby rydjorker121 on Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:53 pm

jsm0331 wrote:
wongy wrote::man3: Atlanta knows this.. why did they do it?? they know he won't stay.. couldn't be to clear cap space, considering Raheem and Ratliff were like their franchise players..

yeah it could. The people that are in the process of buying the Hawks told management to clear out as much cap space as possible, and clean house. Well, that's what they did. They traded 2 guys that had a contract, for a guy that will only suit up for them for 2 months, that's if he isn't suspended from the league for 1/2 that time.

sorry to hear that about your hometown Hawks, man...but I guess that ws the right move for them, to help some other team because the organization was going through some change in ownership...but trading for Rasheed might have been a problem; even if he his stay won't be that long, he may be a hassle for the team to handle, considering that he didn't even want to be traded in the first place, especially to the lowly Hawks...but then again, Rasheed's a FA this summer so the Hawks are gonna clear tons of cap space out of it, to pursue other interests perhaps...but they now have a legit shooter, something they dreadfully needed, in Wesley Person, whos been traded twice this season, so Hawks fans, if there are any, have some optimism left in them...whereas Portland dreadfully increased their skills--especially in the frontcourt, with Zach, Shareef, and Theo--thats gotta be one of the scariest frontcourts ever and even if they got an even heavier payroll to handle, Portland actually did a nice move--although chemistry might be a concern, and Darius Miles playing SG--I can't see it...start Derek Anderson, and put Miles off the bench...Portland is really making a push for the playoffs after seemingly acting dormant...they've really got it going now....
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby JSM on Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:03 pm

and plus Portland has Davis coming off the bench at the center position.

I think the Hawks are going to make some very strong runs at free agents this off season and that's why they did this, to rebuild. Yes, we all know they will go for Kobe, but he's staying in LA, although if he were to go anywhere, I personally would love for it to be the Hawks...season tickets to see Kobe :jam2: ...no but this gives the Hawks a lot of options. They can make another big trade this off season or sign anyone that they can get to come there.

This trade frees up $40+ million for them this off season, and if Sheed isn't a Hawk next year, then they will have $58 million this off season. Look for the Hawks to be good next year, even though the players will all be fresh faces.
JSM

Postby Kobe834 on Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:07 pm

yo, i just heard and i was strait out shocked man. I just saw Rasheed on Monday night raw and didnt even know he would get traded. he looked so happy. on a basketball standpoint, i think it would be good for both teams. Atlanta's gonna bring some excitement and talent, but I also think Portland should have waited. But lets all wait and see.
Kobe834

Postby Guest on Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:08 pm

Another example of why the Hawks need to move out of Atlanta. This team is nothing more than the Montreal Expos of the NBA. They are an organization that draws 0 fans, loses money, and therefore has a "fire sale" almost every year and trades away every good player they have. Move this team back to St. Louis where it will draw a sellout crowd every night so that the organization can make money and in turn spend some money on players so that they can compete in this league. Great deal for the Blazers.

Postby crucifido on Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:08 pm

This all but solidifies the possibility of Rasheed being a Laker next year.

There is no way he will sign as an unrestricted agent in Atlanta. Sheed is a winner despite his past attitude problems. He's another guy that is lined up to take less to play somewhere with a future and a possibility at a run for a ring.

Come to us Sheed - come to us.
crucifido
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Guest on Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:10 pm

For $10 million a season we can get Rasheed, and that's only if Malone decides to retire.

I don't think it's a possibility though, he hates the Lakers.

Maybe the Clippers.

Postby crucifido on Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:17 pm

His hatred can quickly be subsided by the possibility of a winning season.

He is close firends with Shaq AND Kobe and a futuere of Kobe and Rasheed would be a quality lineup for years to come.

Either way - I'd rather get through this year with the ring then we can see what the outlook is.
crucifido
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Kobe834 on Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:29 pm

xxx wrote:Another example of why the Hawks need to move out of Atlanta. This team is nothing more than the Montreal Expos of the NBA. They are an organization that draws 0 fans, loses money, and therefore has a "fire sale" almost every year and trades away every good player they have. Move this team back to St. Louis where it will draw a sellout crowd every night so that the organization can make money and in turn spend some money on players so that they can compete in this league. Great deal for the Blazers.

St. Louis anyone? Although Atlanta is tight
Kobe834

Postby wongy on Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:30 pm

If any top free agents would be attracted by just money, and not to get a championship, I can see it happening, but what top free agent would want to go there, not knowing how long they're gonna be with a cellar dweller? I see all the top free agents going to contenders.. as I said before, Portland made out BIG TIME.. :wow:
wongy

Next

Return to NBA Discussion