Should the NBA institute a replay rule?

Should the NBA institute a replay rule?

Postby crucifido on Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:40 pm

Out of curiosity why does the NBA not have a replay rule as in the NFL.

At any time in the game I believe a team should be able to challenge any questionable call twice - with each challenge costing them a full timeout.

There's just far too many close plays in physical fast paced game like this for the refs to get right. It's obvious right now that the refs are ahving real trouble keeping up with any game (Lakers or not) and making the right call.

They have to institute this rule next year - it could really help the quality of the games and the reffing both immediately and in the future.
crucifido
Clublakers Analyst

Postby JSM on Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:50 pm

if they did this we wouldn't have to listen to Mark Cuban complain as much...not a bad idea
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby KingsFan on Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:38 pm

the only reason that that wouldnt work is because lets say Shaq goes up for a defensive rebound at the end of the game, and the refs dont call goaltend, even though he did on replay.
The opposing team would have to wait for the lakers to shoot or score to call a timeout to oppose this, which would really screw up the stats, especially if the call was overturned.
KingsFan

Postby BDG on Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:11 pm

The game would be too choppy and boring.

Basketball is a game of runs-- it would disrupt that too.

It's fine the way it is, refs just need to make better calls.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby JSM on Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:16 pm

BryantDunkGiant wrote: It's fine the way it is, refs just need to make better calls.

And the league needs to get rid of Javie, he would solve half of the problem, almost every team has a problem with him, and he, well...has a problem with everybody
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby lakerzrule on Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:26 pm

Yeah, I agree, I think instant replay isn't necessary, but it would be interesting to see Mark Cuban challenge whenever Shaq is at the free-throw line! And Javie should be the guy who mops the sweat off the floor. :man10:

Also, remember that if instant replay were put into the game, plays like Samaki Walker's 3 at the end of the first half of game 4 of the WCF between LA and SAC wouldn't have counted. Just a thought. :man7:
lakerzrule

Postby crucifido on Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:21 pm

It would be nice to keep the flow of the game and just have the refs make better calls, but we all knoiw that recently the officiating has been going downhill. UInfortunately the flow of the game has already bee ndisrupted immeasurably because of the pelhtorsa fo phantom and/or excessive calls. I doubt there is one team that would argue either of these points.

If the refs cannot clean up their act, I do believe there has to be some kind discipline for them and/or a replay rule installed.
crucifido
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Guest on Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:25 pm

jsm0331 wrote:
BryantDunkGiant wrote: It's fine the way it is, refs just need to make better calls.

And the league needs to get rid of Javie, he would solve half of the problem, almost every team has a problem with him, and he, well...has a problem with everybody

LOL............ and then see what needs to be fixed....... Replay is not the way......... Sitting 5 mins with no action............. NFL

Postby BDG on Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:03 pm

It's fine in the NFL because you got about a 30 second break in between plays for playcalls when you're not in a hurry-up offense.

Basketball is fine. We just need the refs to shape up a bit.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:36 pm

BryantDunkGiant wrote:The game would be too choppy and boring.

Basketball is a game of runs-- it would disrupt that too.

It's fine the way it is, refs just need to make better calls.

I agree, sure we have gotten screwed on calls ALOT in the past. But you have to look at it from two sides and realize all the calls we have gotten sometimes as well.

Also, don't forget about this -- Walker's three in game 4 of the '02 W.C.F.'s, right before halftime. His shot would have NOT counted under the replay rules...
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:03 am

I was all for this idea, but this will ruin the momentum of the game. I think that teams should only be allocated a certain amount of replay's if this is established. Basketball is fast paced, so havin this would ruin a game...
LakersGyrl2003

Return to NBA Discussion