Dr. J: Sixers got damaged goods in Bynum.

Dr. J: Sixers got damaged goods in Bynum.

Postby Balance&Options24 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:40 pm

Dr. J: Hard to deal with Lakers, Celts

Updated: June 6, 2013, 2:41 PM ET

Dr. J Says Bynum Is Damaged Goods

Julius Erving discusses his statement that Andrew Bynum is damaged goods.Tags: Andrew Bynum, Julius Erving, Dr. J, SportsCenter, Sixers, Philadelphia 76ers

Julius Erving said Wednesday that the Philadelphia 76ers received "damaged goods" when they acquired center Andrew Bynum.

Erving, speaking in Philadelphia before the premiere of "The Doctor," a documentary on his life, said teams always have to be wary when dealing with teams such as the Los Angeles Lakers and Boston Celtics, who rarely get the short end of trades.

If you're going to deal with the Celtics who are our natural rivals, or the Lakers, the two teams that have won the most championships in the NBA, they're always going to make deals where they get the better end of the deal. That's been their history, that's how they presently are and that's how they're going to be in the future.
” -- Julius Erving

"When you talk to the Lakers, when you talk to the Celtics, when you talk to -- well, those two in particular -- the guy on the other end of the phone has his fingers crossed," Erving told The Philadelphia Inquirer. "So whatever he's telling you, he's not telling you the truth. He's working a deal for him. And what happened to us last year with getting damaged goods hopefully will only happen once. And that's the extent of that learning curve."

Erving, who serves as a special consultant to 76ers owner Joshua Harris, explained his comments Thursday in an interview with ESPN's "SportsCenter."

"I was talking about the Sixers and the management and the ownership and their commitment to excellence, to being a contender, to being a champion. And they set a timeline of five to seven years three seasons ago, so as they close in on that timeline, the comment was really about not making any mistakes. Not making decisions that don't turn out," he said.

"So that's how we got over to the Andrew Bynum decision, which on paper seemed like a good decision. But forewarned is foretold," he said. "If you're going to deal with the Celtics who are our natural rivals, or the Lakers, the two teams that have won the most championships in the NBA, they're always going to make deals where they get the better end of the deal. That's been their history, that's how they presently are and that's how they're going to be in the future.

"So for the Sixers, to get Andrew Bynum and think he was going to be an All-Star and an all-pro and think he was going to be a valuable part of the franchise, as was the thinking, it turned out to be a bad deal."

Bynum, who was traded to the 76ers in a four-team deal last August that also sent Andre Iguodala to the Denver Nuggets and Dwight Howard to the Lakers, never played for the Sixers because of bone bruises in both knees. He insisted from training camp he would play this season, only to shut it down for good on March 18. He then underwent season-ending arthroscopic surgery on both knees. Bynum earned $16.5 million this season and is set to become an unrestricted free agent.

Julius Erving talks about his life after basketball, his favorite memories and today's NBA in comparison with the league he played in.

Bynum is one of six free agents for the Sixers, who are devoid of any real assets outside of Jrue Holiday.

Without playing a game for the Sixers, Bynum said at his introductory news conference he wanted to make Philadelphia his home -- and the team was ready to commit.

"Where do I sign?" Harris said last August. "Show me the contract."

There were no enthusiastic endorsements of Bynum at the Sixers' facilities when Sam Hinkie was introduced as the 76ers' president of basketball operations and general manager in May.

"I think of Andrew like the thousands of other young men walking around the world that are unrestricted free agents that have potential to play NBA basketball," Hinkie said. "He is one of those. I'm duty bound to consider them and look at them. All of them."

Hinkie replaced president Rod Thorn, who moved into a consulting role, and GM Tony DiLeo, who was widely credited -- and now blamed -- for orchestrating the botched deal for the injury-prone Bynum.
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Re: Dr. J: Sixers got damaged goods in Bynum.

Postby John3:16 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:57 pm

Celtics haven't made a great trade in decades, other than the gift that McHale gave his BFF Ainge.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:33 pm

Well of course he was damaged goods, the 76ers doctors should have found that out before the team pulled the trigger on the trade, that's on them.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby JGC on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:18 pm

He should have checked out Bynum's knees himself. He's a doctor.

Kidding aside, sounds like sour grapes to me. They knew exactly what they were potentially geting in to. And if they didn't, then they didn't do their homework. You win and you lose some. There's risk in trading, but they mitigated their risk by only doing it because Drew had a year left on his contract. I'm sure they would not have done it had Drew had like 3-4 years left on his deal.

I think, they're just whining. They knew there was a risk, it didn't pan out, but they were smart about it and the impact was not so bad. In a way, it makes the decision for them easy, doesn't it? What if Drew had a good year, they extend him over multiple years and then he is in and out with knee problems? That would be, IMO, have been worse.
JGC

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:24 pm

They must have not had a vcr or cable or something considering they didn't know this little Lakers secret.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby JGC on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:27 pm

^ watch them trade for greg oden and whine again!
JGC

Postby 432J on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:00 pm

it's the sixers own fault

not only did they have their doctors evaluate him before the trade but did they not know of his past injury history? give me a break
432J

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:28 am

Weezy wrote:Well of course he was damaged goods, the 76ers doctors should have found that out before the team pulled the trigger on the trade, that's on them.

This.

The Sixers took the chance on him and it didn't pan out. I think it was a decent gamble for a franchise that just isn't making any noise and doesn't have a lot of chance for improvement.

Now they just move forward. No big deal.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:47 am

Unless you lived under a rock, you should have known he was "damaged goods." But 7 footers with his skill set don't grow on trees. They rolled the dice and lost. You win some, you lose some. Whether Bynum was 100% or not, it's not like they were a team on the cusp of greatness.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby jlkr on Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:55 am

JSM wrote:Unless you lived under a rock, you should have known he was "damaged goods." But 7 footers with his skill set don't grow on trees. They rolled the dice and lost. You win some, you lose some. Whether Bynum was 100% or not, it's not like they were a team on the cusp of greatness.

This. Especially the bolded.

The good news is they're only out one year of big money. As another poster said, what if he had shown up and done well enough to get a max contract but then got injured again ... oooh, they'd have been out up to 4 additional years of guaranteed money. Not sure if Bynum's knees would have allowed the Sixers to insure his contract. Seem to remember the Knicks couldn't insure Stoudemire's contract due to his knee issues.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby Chopper on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:02 am

like others have said, they took the risk and lost. Lakers took a risk on Howard too and no one knows yet if that will pan out this summer.

Dont blame it on the trading partner, blame it on your own FO. Everyone knew about Bynum's knee issues, it was discussed endlessly. It's not like PHI got hoodwinked and their own doctors missed it.
Chopper

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:14 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Weezy wrote:Well of course he was damaged goods, the 76ers doctors should have found that out before the team pulled the trigger on the trade, that's on them.

This.

The Sixers took the chance on him and it didn't pan out. I think it was a decent gamble for a franchise that just isn't making any noise and doesn't have a lot of chance for improvement.

Now they just move forward. No big deal.

+1
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:37 am

Judging by the quotes from Dr J and the new Philly GM, they are playing mind games through the media. If they really aren't interested in bringing Bynum back, why even talk about him?

Mitch had no problem telling reporters if he believed a certain player wouldn't be returning the next season during exit interviews.

My guess is that they won't mind bringing him back if he's healthy and the contract is reasonable. Like say a 1 year deal. They'll have capspace in 2014 to decide either to bring Bynum back or possibly go after Melo, Lebron, Gay, Wade, Bosh, or somebody else. The 2013 FA class isn't all that attractive besides Dwight, who I doubt is interested in Philly. Bynum, if he stays healthy and has another all-star caliber season will also be in a better negotiation position in 2014 then he currently is in and with more teams to choose from if he brings his value back up. So don't be surprised if they both agree to it.

OT

Now that I think about it, I won't be surprised if D12 signs a 1 year deal with us for similar reasons.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Return to NBA Discussion