Smith, Peeler to Bucks for Cassell, Johnson

Smith, Peeler to Bucks for Cassell, Johnson

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:11 pm

MINNEAPOLIS -- The Minnesota Timberwolves traded forward Joe Smith and guard Anthony Peeler to the Milwaukee Bucks on Friday for guard Sam Cassell and center Ervin Johnson.

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0627/1573764.html

I guess..we can scratch PAYTON off our LIST!!!!!
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby FirstLady on Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:13 pm

Now I wonder if this means Kevin Garnett will stay now that he has some help in the paint?
FirstLady
Clublakers Queen (1st Female)

Postby Guest on Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:38 pm

Let's not give up on GP just yet. After all, the Lakers did not pick any guards during the draft (and there plenty to chose form) so hopefully that sends a message to GP that we still want HIM.

Postby Dragan on Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:42 pm

FirstLady wrote:Now I wonder if this means Kevin Garnett will stay now that he has some help in the paint?

What help in the paint ?
Dragan

Postby FirstLady on Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:45 pm

My bad, Dragan. :freak2: I was referring to E. Johnson, but come to think of it, he's been a disappointment.

carry on................
FirstLady
Clublakers Queen (1st Female)

Postby Dragan on Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:03 pm

You got it.

Its a shame. Sutch a famous name. Next we will have some guy name Michael Jordan with the game of Felton Spencer.
Dragan

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:38 pm

Yea GP can still be in the runnin...
LakersGyrl2003

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:33 pm

Michael Jordan will keep PAYTON because he's a pro vet and can groom TJ FORD as their future point guard. Jordan will compensate PAYTON with the dollar amount he is asking for. Why the heck would they want to TRADE PAYTON FOR FISHER? THE BUCKS ARE NOT THAT DUMB

We can also SCRATCH JASON TERRY off our LIST becuase ATLANTA just extended his contract.

Our other only choice for a Quality PG is ARENAS... but he will probably be temped to go to the NUGGETS to play with MELO and get his asking price
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:39 am

So the Bucks already signed GP? I dont remember hearin anything about that. GP wants a ring, and he already said that if Sam leaves then, he knows he'll leave too. He wants a championship while he still has his game. He can't get that with the Bucks.
LakersGyrl2003

Postby crucifido on Sat Jun 28, 2003 1:11 am

Why Arenas? Haven't you read of the things he has done to either get minutes or avoid playing in certain situations in Golden State? The faking of illness and injury so he can get his way. That is NOT a Laker player. He is a good (maybe someday great) player, but not of the ilk I've come to expect from the Laker organization over the last 20 years.

I read all you guys saying "Forget Gary Payton, he's all about the money" and "He won't come because he won't take such a huge pay cut to come here". Well, what have you read from Arenas' camp? The guy has said he will listen to no offer that is below 7 mil a year and even at that Golden State can match any offer tendered to him. Where in the Laker salary situation is that money coming from? The amount of trades and deals you'd have to pull would dismnatle this team all for one guy. He's not THAT incredible. Arenas is NOT coming here. He's too young to care about winning right now - he's looking for the cash first. He would be great to see in a Laker uniform once he matures and stops pulling childish antics to get his way. He is unprofessional and unbecoming to the Laker tradition.

Payton will be here, he will come for MLE and he will sign for 3 years using the percentage rate of increase that is allowed by the league for free agent contracts. Each year he will recieve a bump in pay and it will end in 3 years with a balloon payment.

Michael Jordan (if he gets the team, which I'm sure he will) will want to clean house and rid the team of it's horrible legacy as of late to start fresh. He will let Payton walk as I will guarantee he starts a big youth movement in Milwaukee. There is nothing for Payton in Milwaukee - no family, no friends, no history, no chance for a ring. Give Gary and the Lakers some credit before you judge Payton. The lure of a close to home situation, the chance to play with 2 of the greatest players (and friends of his) in the league and a shot at winning his first championship will be too much for Gary to resist.

Keep the faith.
crucifido
Clublakers Analyst

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:35 am

crucifido wrote
Michael Jordan (if he gets the team, which I'm sure he will) will want to clean house and rid the team of it's horrible legacy as of late to start fresh. He will let Payton walk as I will guarantee he starts a big youth movement in Milwaukee

LOL.... guarantee huh,... care to place a wager?...
Why on earth do you think JORDAN will let HIS ONLY STAR PLAYER LEAVE THE TEAM?..... :man7: Robinson is gone, Allen is gone, now Cassell.
Doesn't that tell you something?... he already cleaned house by getting rid of the remaining bad seeds in the BUCKS. Payton will lead this new team. He will be offered the MAX and be the focal point ... which is what he is use to. Now matter how tempting the chance is to play for L.A. he will not resist the tempting of MONEY. If he wanted to get a ring a long time ago he wouldn't have opted to play for SEATTLE when his contract expired 5 years ago... right after KEMP departed. He is just blowing a lot of smoke.
crucifido wrote
The lure of a close to home situation

Payton lives around the BAY AREA.. not SOCAL....
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:45 am

Source - http://www.msnbc.com/news/891477.asp?0dm=C1AUS

In one breath, he says: "I need a championship." Then in another: "If a team fits me, that I'm going to have a championship, then I'm going to work with it. But other than that, Milwaukee's still the first option." Later, he added: "I'm at my peak. I'm 34 years old, still playing, still putting up numbers. I don't think I can settle for less."
Allow me to translate: Gary wants everyone to believe he has the heart of a champion and wants a ring desperately, but what he really wants is to be paid top dollar, and that means staying in Milwaukee, which probably won't win a title in Gary's lifetime. Gary, even at his relatively advanced NBA age, is still like a lot of the younger guys who come into the NBA in that he equates money with respect. Gary wants a championship, as long as there's no sacrifice involved.
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:55 am

Source - http://www.msnbc.com/news/891477.asp?0dm=C1AUS

where do you get your sources?.... read that paragraph... just in case you missed it ...here it is again

In one breath, he says: "I need a championship." Then in another: "If a team fits me, that I'm going to have a championship, then I'm going to work with it. But other than that, Milwaukee's still the first option." Later, he added: "I'm at my peak. I'm 34 years old, still playing, still putting up numbers. I don't think I can settle for less."

NOW, which part of that don't you understand? He is using that as a threat just to get a leverage with the BUCKs.

THE ONLY WAY PAYTON WE WILL GET PAID is a SIGN AND TRADE!!!!.... BUT WE DO NOT HAVE ANYONE THAT JORDAN WANTS...ESPECIALLY SINCE HIS EXPERIMENT WITH LUE FAILED!!!
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:15 pm

The Bucks aren't gonna sign GP... They already stated this is another thread.
LakersGyrl2003

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:21 pm

well I guess If the SPURM DONT GET KIDD they will try to get PAYTON.
THE SPURMS HAVE $20 MILLION UNDER THE SALARY CAP... MLE and LLE
THEY CAN SIGN JUST ABOUT ANYBODY and CAN OFFER A CHANCE AT THE TITLE AGAIN NEXT YEAR!!!
IF THE SPURMS DON"T GET KIDD THEY CAN SIGN..... JERMAINE ONEAL FOR 13 MILLION a YEAR, GIVE PAYTON 7 MILLION a YEAR and SIGN PJ BROWN for the MLE.... ALL THIS PLUS THEIR LLE

ALL WE HAVE IS A MLE (4.5 mill) AND LLE (1 mill).... THATS IT UNLESS WE ACQUIRE PLAYERS VIA TRADES... but WHO WANTS OUR PLAYERS?
BESIDES KOBE AND SHAQ you will not get any trade values for any of our other players .... especially if you want a young talented star.
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby OG on Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:30 pm

I think everyone is misrepresenting the Payton-Bucks situation. remember, Payton will become a free agent on july 1st and doesnt have to be traded, he can just leave. MJ and the Bucks were anticipating that move so thats why they drafted tj ford. besides, TJ is an excellent point guard and would go along way in helping MJ, rebuild. Payton leaving would free up a hell of a lot of cash for other good players for the "rebuilding" prossess. MJ understands this process and has been anticipating it for a while now.
Quoting Shaq on one of his spontainious freestyles durring practices:

"I stay paid niggaaa, I live laid niggaaa, I've been rappen ever since the third grade niggaaa".
OG

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Sat Jun 28, 2003 4:48 pm

ok... Cassell is gone, one of their premiere PG's .....
They drafted a yet to be proven NBA talent in TJ FORD (under size by the way with a suspect shot.)
Now... your going to tell me they will just let PAYTON walk away and hand the starting role to a rookie?.... when MJ prefers to have VETS on the floor?.... hmmmm... doesn't not make sense. No matter what the Bucks officials says... they are going to retain PAYTON. If PAYTON goes who is left there for the FANS to cheer for?...... WHO?....
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby crucifido on Sat Jun 28, 2003 6:47 pm

Sure I'll place a wager on that - how much you wanna bet?

Gary is as good as gone fro Milwaukee.

When Jordan took over Washington did he hold onto any of their premiere players at all? No. Did he gut the team to start it over fresh in his image of what that team needed? Yes. This is how he acts a GM, in fact it's how most new Gm's trying to prove themselves act around the league.

Sure rumors are rumors but there was a prominent sports columnist on the radio toady that was talking about how Gary will definitely not sign in Milwaukee. I take that with a grain opf salt, but from most experience when rumors of player not signing or signing with a teasm begin to circulate nationally, they tend to turn out true.

My question was still not answered, whydo you rip on Gary about being all about the money, yet there is no criticism of Arenas being much about the same, if not worse?

I can see being defensive, to tell yourself he won't come so you don't get your hopes up. But sometimes you have to go with the logical situation for a player. And in this case it is perfectly logical for Gary to sign in L.A.

And I did say CLOSE to home situation. I'm aware he's from the bay area, but isn't So Cal a whole lot freakin closer than Milwaukee or San Antonio.
crucifido
Clublakers Analyst

Postby crucifido on Sat Jun 28, 2003 6:48 pm

M.J. prefers to have vets on the floor?

Which veteran players did he have on the floor in Washignton? Every veteran he had he dealt away for younger (not necessarily bewtter) players.
crucifido
Clublakers Analyst

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:07 am

hmmm he did get LUE from us.. didn't he?
hmmm he also got LARRY HUGHES ... didn't he?

Your right,.. I just don't want to get our hopes high because WE HAVE BEEN SCREWED BY SO MANY LESSER TALENTED PLAYERS IN THE PAST ( remember GILL, heck even OAKLY) I am not going to give in to the rumors until those rumors are FACTS and we hear he signed the papers or until it is announced. You can preach all you want about WHY PAYTON would want to come to L.A. In fact I agree with your arguements.. but HE is not a RICK FOX. If PAYTON was really interested in winning a title he would have signed with a contending team before he signed the extension with SEATTLE. Anyways,... I am not going to cry over spilled milk if PAYTON does not sign with us because I doubt that he would of in the first place.
Whats this wager your talking about?..... lol
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby crucifido on Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:23 am

You asked if I wanted to bet on the fact that Milwaukke would let him go on some other post. Just kidding, but due to the comment s of the Bucks GM tonight, I would've won some cash from ya! :)

Hey man, I'm not mad at you or anything, I was just saying it's alright to get your hopes up for Payton coming. If he doesn't, then yeah screw him we can do just fine. But he'll realize that a championship is much more important than money at this stage. The money can come later in a 3 year contract with the Lakers. If you have to protect yoursel;f with doubting it that's toally cool, I can understand that. But when rumors persist as long as they have in this situation they tend to bo true.

Either way, the Lakers will be back on top next year with Juwan Howard, some other free agents and their rookies
crucifido
Clublakers Analyst

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:37 am

I totally agree... lates bro
#1_Kobe_fan

Return to NBA Discussion