Sources: CP3's Rep's: Don't Bother Calling, He's Re-Signing

Sources: CP3's Rep's: Don't Bother Calling, He's Re-Signing

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:19 pm

Source: Chris Paul 99.5% Chance Of Staying With Clippers

By Marc Stein

The Los Angeles Clippers remain confident that they will re-sign Chris Paul this offseason, but they are also in win-now mode and might be a player or two short from truly contending for a title.

"I'm saying 99.5 percent." said one source close to the situation about the odds of Paul remaining with the Clippers beyond the current season.

The Clippers know trading away Eric Bledsoe before Paul signs a new deal is a major risk, but trading him away is also their best shot at significantly improving their roster. Sources say doing nothing before the deadline could be the bigger gamble in regards to Paul.

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page ... ekend-dime
Last edited by Kobe8Fan on Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:26 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Kobe8Fan

Re: Source: Chris Paul 99.5% Chance Of Staying With Clippers

Postby revgen on Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:10 pm

Only way I see him leaving the Clippers is if Atlanta goes after him and D12.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:02 pm

You'd have to be way under the cap to sign two marquis players. I doubt any team pulls that off anymore.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby khmrP on Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:22 pm

V.V.V.V.V. wrote:You'd have to be way under the cap to sign two marquis players. I doubt any team pulls that off anymore.

Atl has that option, only big time contract they got is Horford, easily movable........as for Cp3 95%, well I'll believe it when I see it, Brand was suppose to be a sure thing too and we all know what happened there, in fact he took less to got Philly I think.
khmrP

Postby LakerFanIam on Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:38 pm

LakerFanIam

Re: Chris Paul Denies Having Already Made Free Agency Decision

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:37 pm

Chris Paul Publicly Denies Having Already Made Free Agency Decision

By T.J. SIMERS
Los Angeles Times
Published: Friday, Feb. 22, 2013 - 12:00 am
Last Modified: Sunday, Feb. 24, 2013 - 11:24 am

LOS ANGELES-I'm thinking the best place for Dwight Howard's statue outside Staples is right beside Oscar De La Hoya's 7-foot likeness.

That way they can keep the guys together who have been beaten up the most in the building.

De La Hoya was 0-1 in Staples and so Mitch Kupchak probably has it right: Dwight really doesn't need to do all that much to get his own.

But now what do they do if Chris Paul completes one of the greatest turnarounds in sports history and leads the Clippers to an NBA championship?

"I'm just happy I made it through the trading deadline," cracked Paul, as humble as he has been huge in making the Clippers relevant.

OK, so maybe the Clippers weren't prime-time TNT fare the way they played against the Spurs Thursday night. Actually, they were more road kill than NBA feel-good story, down by 28 after three quarters.

Some of the blame for the post-All Star malaise has to go to Paul, who isn't always aggressive on offense early. He took four shots in the first half, too slow to notice that his teammates didn't have it.

But still bound for the playoffs - and don't the Lakers wish they could be so certain? - Paul and the Clippers have something special brewing.

Blake Griffin has become basketball's answer to football's Peyton Manning when it comes to commercials. And in addition to pushing insurance as his twin brother Cliff, Paul will soon start hawking Untouchable cologne for Avon.

Now why a man would want to wear a cologne that makes him untouchable with the ladies, I don't know.

Paul has already taped commercial spots with his son, little Chris, which will be shown beginning Father's Day - potentially the date of Game 6 of the NBA Finals.

"I remember I had Michael Jordan stuff when I was a kid," said Paul. "I thought if I smelled like him I might play like him."

He might not be Jordan, but he's such a force, if Commissioner David Stern hadn't stopped him from being traded to the Lakers, folks might be talking today about how smart Jim Buss was in acquiring him.

How many lives have been changed because he's not with the Lakers and instead playing like he loves the Clippers?

Like Howard, who will be free to play anywhere when the season ends, Paul will make more money if he stays with the team currently employing him.

Yahoo.com's Adrian Wojnarowski recently reported inaccurately that Paul is "planning to re-sign with the Los Angeles Clippers, punctuating his pick-and-roll partnership with Griffin with a maximum contract extension and final say about every move their franchise now makes."

It sounds good to the Clippers, and might happen. And DeAndre Jordan still might become a force at center for the Clippers.

But Paul said, "No, I haven't decided what I am going to do next season, and no, I haven't told anyone what I'm going to do."

It's a good guess Paul will return. And too often that's journalism today. You know that if you were following all the reports from sources that had players being traded by the NBA deadline.

Now maybe the day is coming when Paul will have the final say in every move the Clippers make, possibly beginning with Coach Vinny Del Negro's future with the team.

But Paul passed on the opportunity to vote thumbs up or down on talking with Boston about Kevin Garnett, preferring to remain the team's starting point guard rather than its personnel director.

"I like what we have going on here," he said. "And the most exciting thing, the thing that makes me the happiest is Chauncey (Billups) is back and going through this with us."

The Clippers didn't have Billups a year ago when they were swept out of the playoffs by the Spurs, but San Antonio didn't seem unnerved by his return.

The Spurs have the best record in the West, and it's easy to understand why after they reminded everyone what it was like to go to a Clippers game before Paul arrived.

Five of the Clippers next seven games come against teams with winning records, one blowout no big deal as long as there is no carryover.

As it is, folks now expect more out of the Clippers, a statue of one of their players outside Staples no longer such a farfetched idea.

But it's going to take more than a 1-for-6 shooting performance from Paul over three quarters.

I would have told him so, too, knowing how much he likes to be challenged. But that would have meant staying to the very end of Thursday's debacle, and I can take only so much after watching as many Lakers games as I have this season.

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/02/22/520871 ... =Kings/NBA
Kobe8Fan

Postby ramsay13 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:06 pm

Thats nothing but a pebble. ^^^
ramsay13

Postby Weezy on Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:42 pm

If he's smart he'll get out while he can. The Clippers always go back to being the Clippers, the curse always returns, he'll blow out his knee, and the Clippers may be good, but they'll never win it all.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:38 am

Sign for 2 years, options on the 3rd and 4th years.

Keep them working hard to build him a team. That's what I would do. Their history shows that they're unwilling to do what is needed to win when it matters. As built they're pretenders. They need to prove that they're willing to give him what he wants. If he signs long term he seals his fate. if he leaves himself options to leave, it forces them to make moves and to remain competitive.

That being said, I don't think they'll ever win it all as constructed.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:06 pm

therealdeal wrote:Sign for 2 years, options on the 3rd and 4th years.

Keep them working hard to build him a team. That's what I would do. Their history shows that they're unwilling to do what is needed to win when it matters. As built they're pretenders. They need to prove that they're willing to give him what he wants. If he signs long term he seals his fate. if he leaves himself options to leave, it forces them to make moves and to remain competitive.

That being said, I don't think they'll ever win it all as constructed.

Hmm...I don't think they'll win it all this year, but certainly, if BG continues to get better, they definitely have a chance. They are 2 deep at every position, almost 3 deep in some positions...I think they will make some noise and if last year was any indication that they are willing to make moves, i think they'll continue to add solid players...i mean they got Jamal Crawford somehow...and they still have Eric Bledsoe and DJ as trade pieces....they have all their first round picks....I don't see them getting worse?
FabFourLakers

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:13 pm

^ I hate the Clippers more than Boston and Miami right now.

But I will agree...with CP3 running the show and their team chemistry the way it is...they're honestly the BEST they've ever been. And CP3 has a lot to do with it.

If they secure CP3...unfortuantely I don't see them going anywhere. :bang: :mad1:
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:Hmm...I don't think they'll win it all this year, but certainly, if BG continues to get better, they definitely have a chance. They are 2 deep at every position, almost 3 deep in some positions...I think they will make some noise and if last year was any indication that they are willing to make moves, i think they'll continue to add solid players...i mean they got Jamal Crawford somehow...and they still have Eric Bledsoe and DJ as trade pieces....they have all their first round picks....I don't see them getting worse?

The Clippers don't know what spending is yet. Paul back for a max contract is around 20 million on average. Blake's new contract kicks in next season for 13.6 million. Jordan is paid 10.5, Butler is paid 8, and Crawford is paid 5.

Bledsoe is expiring next season as well, so he'll be looking to make bank soon.

If they want to keep this team together, their payroll is going to come close to our soon. Is Sterling willing to do that? All previous evidence points to the latter.

That being said, a team built around Paul is always a contender until the playoffs and until Paul's annual injury. They'll never win it all as constructed. They'll be very good, but not good enough.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:36 pm

what happens with bledsoe will determine whether they're for real or not. if they move him for a veteran who's a legit third star, they're a real contender. if not, meh.
abeer3

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:49 pm

Forgot about Sterling's penny pinching.

Oh how I pray he f**** up yet again.
Chillbongo

Postby Finwë on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:08 pm

Weezy wrote:If he's smart he'll get out while he can. The Clippers always go back to being the Clippers, the curse always returns, he'll blow out his knee, and the Clippers may be good, but they'll never win it all.

Do you really believe in curses?

I don't think he should leave honestly. They may not win it this year but their team is very good and has a lot of assets they can trade in order to polish it and make it even better, or more fitted for a title run (instead of a highlight show).
What team that would have cap space enough to sign him would be a better situation for him? He's in a "hot" team in a big market city, and they are actually winning a buckload of games.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Weezy on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:22 pm

No, I don't genuinely believe in curses, the "Clipper curse" is real though, it's based on a terrible owner, extremely poor drafting with high picks, and just genuine bad luck. I'm serious when I say he should leave if he wants to win though, the Clippers will not win a they are now, they are like the Suns of the mid-2000's, good, but not good enough.

As for the curse, of course I don't believe an actual dark force keeps the clippers down, but when you read about it it's very interesting stuff. Bill Simmons wrote an open letter to Blake Griffin a few years back, all about the Clipper curse, it was a great read. It seems to have vanished now, page at ESPN is gone, no links to it work, but if you can find it it's great, I suggest looking, this thing goes back decades.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby kalee8 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:54 am

Weezy wrote:No, I don't genuinely believe in curses, the "Clipper curse" is real though, it's based on a terrible owner, extremely poor drafting with high picks, and just genuine bad luck. I'm serious when I say he should leave if he wants to win though, the Clippers will not win a they are now, they are like the Suns of the mid-2000's, good, but not good enough.

As for the curse, of course I don't believe an actual dark force keeps the clippers down, but when you read about it it's very interesting stuff. Bill Simmons wrote an open letter to Blake Griffin a few years back, all about the Clipper curse, it was a great read. It seems to have vanished now, page at ESPN is gone, no links to it work, but if you can find it it's great, I suggest looking, this thing goes back decades.

thought the comment Weezy made was interesting so I tried googling it...is this the article you meant Weezy?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090624&sportCat=nba
kalee8

Postby Weezy on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:28 am

Yes, that was the article, but the link leads nowhere, it's dead. It's like since Simmons left ESPN they deleted his stuff or something, I can't find the article/letter anywhere.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby kenzo on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:31 am

^ Uhm... it's there :man3:
kenzo

Postby kalee8 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:25 am

Weezy wrote:Yes, that was the article, but the link leads nowhere, it's dead. It's like since Simmons left ESPN they deleted his stuff or something, I can't find the article/letter anywhere.

that's weird, it works fine for me :man3:

Regardless, that was one of the funniest things I read in my life :man10:
kalee8

Postby Weezy on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:13 am

Strange, it must not work on my phone, every time I click the link I get "404 page not found". Glad it works for you guys though, because yeah it's a great read.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:55 am

^I remember reading that article, great article.

Funny part is he wrote that a couple of days before Blake had that season ending knee injury.

Irony much? :man3:
Chillbongo

Postby Weezy on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:03 am

Nope, just the Clipper Curse at work. :mhihi: CP3 has bad knees too, which is why I say he should get out while he can.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby TIME on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:09 pm

There is a reason other than luck why Jerry Buss won 10 trophies and Donald Sterling has not.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Chris Paul Undecided On Future

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sun May 05, 2013 8:06 pm

Chris Paul Undecided On Future

By Arash Markazi | ESPNLosAngeles.com

PLAYA VISTA, Calif. -- Chris Paul left the Los Angeles Clippers' training facility Saturday afternoon for the last time this season, giving no indication of whether he would return.

"I don't know how this whole thing is going to play out," Paul said. "I'm going to pray about it. We'll see."

Paul passed on a chance to sign a three-year, $60 million extension with the Clippers last year, but can sign a five-year, $108 million deal this summer. He said he will take his time before deciding what he will do as an unrestricted free agent.

"All season long, it's something that I said I would address after the season and I really didn't think about it all during the season," Paul said. "The season's not even 24 hours from being over, so I really haven't thought about it. The craziest thing is that this season is over. I still haven't got that wrapped around my brain."

The best season in Clippers franchise history ended Friday night with a 118-105 loss to the Memphis Grizzlies in Game 6 of their first-round series.

Despite leading the Clippers to their first division title and a record 56-win season, Paul was still hurting from being eliminated in the playoffs. He never has advanced past the second round and has missed the playoffs or has been eliminated in the first round six times.

As he looks at where he wants to spend the next five years of his career, Paul said the opportunity to win a championship and play well into June will be a big factor.

"When I woke up this morning, little Chris had gotten in my bed and the first thing he said was, 'Daddy, why you lose again?' " Paul said. "I told my wife last night on the bus riding to the airport, that's the toughest thing now. He's old enough to understand what's going on and that we don't have any more games to go. I think about that type of stuff because that's my guy and we don't have any more games. He's going to be a little confused."

Blake Griffin signed a five-year, $95 million extension with the Clippers last summer and said he and his teammates would talk to Paul about re-signing in the offseason.

"He's a huge piece to our team moving forward," Griffin said. "He's going to know that we want him back and we would love for him to re-sign and keep moving forward with this franchise, but ultimately this is his decision. He has to do what's right for him and his family and we're going to be behind him."

Paul was influential in recruiting several players to sign with the Clippers in the offseason, including Matt Barnes and Grant Hill, and was a big reason why Chauncey Billups was comfortable converting to shooting guard in order to start alongside Paul.

Billups said he would like to return to the Clippers. He was only able to play 22 games during the regular season after coming back from a ruptured Achilles and dealing with several other injuries, but said he feels as good as he has in two years.

"I would love to be back here and continue to help in this process," Billups said. "I feel like we are getting closer. I definitely want to be a part of it and I'll be able to show everybody who I've always been with a summer of getting myself together, so hopefully it works out like that."

Billups, who will be 37 at the start of next season, said he hopes to play two more seasons and has no aspirations to be a head coach when his career is done.

"I'm focused on playing a couple more years," he said. "Two more years is my goal and after that my desire is more to be in the front office, not coaching. You never say never but my desire has never been to coach. It looks like I'm doing that now but I can't help myself. I would feel better about being in management and putting a team together."

Billups also said he would talk to Paul about returning.

Hill, who will be 41 at the start of next season, had hinted several times that this would be his last season after battling various injuries and only playing in 29 games. Hill, under contract for next season, didn't rule out the possibility he could come back for one more season after feeling healthy again.

"I feel as good as I've felt in the last two years," Hill said. "That may mean you should continue to play or get out while you're healthy, but I do feel great. It certainly may factor into what I may do going forward."

Barnes was able to have a career season after he signed with the Clippers for the veteran's minimum before training camp began at the urging of Paul. Barnes had 30 points and 10 rebounds Friday against the Grizzlies. He said he will explore his options but hinted that Paul already had begun recruiting him to re-sign with the team.

"Chris and I have already been talking about it," Barnes said. "We talked about it on the plan last night. He's obviously the franchise player but we also talked about what I was thinking about doing. Without giving anything away, he was doing his job (in recruiting me)."

Paul said he wouldn't necessarily have to be recruiting to stay with the Clippers, but also wasn't patting himself on the back for turning around the franchise from where it was before he arrived.

"I don't know. This right here was unacceptable," Paul said. "We lost in the first round to a good Memphis team but a team we were capable of beating. There are no moral victories ... I have nothing to do. This is unreal. We only played two weeks long than everyone else that didn't make the playoffs. That sucks. That stings."

Whether Paul believes the Clippers are capable of playing more than two weeks into the postseason likely will go a long way in deciding whether or not he will re-sign this summer, but he's in no rush to make that decision.

"I'm going to take my time," Paul said. "I haven't even thought about it. I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do the rest of the day. I might go home and swim with my son or something. This is nuts. I don't know what to do. I purposely didn't put anything on my calendar because we're supposed to still be playing."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/stor ... eliminated
Kobe8Fan

Next

Return to NBA Discussion