Spurs keep Manu Ginobili @ $14m/2 years

Spurs keep Manu Ginobili @ $14m/2 years

Postby Kobe8Fan on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:02 am

The Houston Rockets are holding nothing back in their attempt to sign superstar free agent Dwight Howard. Although the Los Angeles Lakers have been extremely aggressive in pursuit of Howard, the Rockets are the clear favorite at this point in time with the team pulling out all the stops to land the leag’es best center.

One move that may intrigue Howard to sign with the Rockets long-term is Houston potentially going after veteran Manu Ginobili in free agency according to Sam Amico of Fox Sports Ohio:

League sources speculate guard Manu Ginobili (San Antonio Spurs) could be an option for the Rockets later in free agency.

The San Antonio Spurs are coming off another brilliant season of exceeding expectations while reaching the NBA Finals. Even though the Miami Heat proved to be too much to handle during the series with the Spurs, San Antonio proved that Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Ginobili may have something left in the tank as a trio.

Although the Spurs may decide to keep the core intact for at least one more season, Ginobili might be the most expendable of the three in San Antonio. Ginobili is currently an unrestricted free agent and may draw interest around the league with the Rockets prepared to make a run at the three-time NBA champion.

During the Finals, Ginobili clearly wasn’t the same player and may have cost the storied franchise a fifth NBA title with some questionable plays in Game 6 and Game 7. Despite that being the case, the Argentine guard still has considerable value and may be a perfect fit in Houston along with James Harden and Howard.

http://www.sportscity.com/nba-rumors-ho ... 013/07/01/
Kobe8Fan

Re: Rockets Interested in Signing Manu Ginobili

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:03 am

That is going to entice Dwight? Playing with the person that literally COST the Spurs a Championship almost single-handedly?

Hm...
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:30 pm

and they're getting him how?
abeer3

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:35 pm

Ok . . .
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:39 pm

he's injury prone and did suck in the finals, but I'd so take him as a Laker. One of my favorite players
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:05 pm

I would pull my hair out watching him 3 games in.

He tries to do too much offensively and defensively he's good, but not great.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:32 pm

^ he's awesome lol
He's as fun to watch (to me) as almost any player in the league. And when he's on his game he's really a difference maker. Lately that's been a big if though. I don't know, I can't imagine playing anywhere that isn't SA, or under any coach that isn't Pop, but here we are.
He has to go somewhere, and as a competitive player, he's going to want to go somewhere he can compete for something. He's probably going to be cheap. I like him
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:35 pm

I think 6 years ago when his body could do the things his mind thinks it can now he was an exciting player.

Now he's just a headache. He's what Kobe was a couple of seasons ago in terms of shoddy decision making but with almost none of the payoff.

He makes for great drama, but that's not always a good thing.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:47 pm

therealdeal wrote:That is going to entice Dwight? Playing with the person that literally COST the Spurs a Championship almost single-handedly?

Hm...

Same logic that got Splitter PAID apparently.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:53 pm

Yeah maybe I've just lost my mind :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:50 pm

Houston just try to create the best offensive flopping duo ever
wcsoldier81

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:39 am

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 6m
RT @manuginobili: Thrilled to announce that, as I always hoped, I'm gonna stay with the @spurs for two more years. #gospursgo
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Sorry Rockets
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:17 am

Spurs decision making this off-season: F.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:24 am

he resigned with the Spurs...what a shocker
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:50 pm

Typical SAS offseason in terms of continuity but their generosity towards Tiago and Gino cost them a nice player in the 9-10 Millions range ... don't think they can offer more than full MLE now .
wcsoldier81

Postby JSM on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:23 pm

Contract details.
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 9h
Y! Sources: Manu Ginobili's two-year extension with San Antonio will be worth $14 million. http://tinyurl.com/k65pnmb

Choking pays apparently.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: Spurs keep Manu Ginobili @ $14m/2 years

Postby FabFourLakers on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:31 pm

Reallyyyy starting to question Spurs management....First giving Splitter that RIDICULOUS contract that will pay 4 yrs 36M....now giving Manu 2 yrs 14M? The money that they paid these guys coulda gone towards a way better player like Al Jefferson, Paul Millsap, or even BOTH of them....i dunno I'm shocked at the Spurs decision making this summer. They're making very bad decisions.
FabFourLakers

Postby escobar8 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:02 am

haha...still less than tiago... :man10:
escobar8

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:11 am

Do what the Lakers do with their FAs... tells player look around and bring us what other teams are offering and we will match it or let you walk. Feel the market. Don't reward mediocrity.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:13 am

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:Do what the Lakers do with their FAs... tells player look around and bring us what other teams are offering and we will match it or let you walk. Feel the market. Don't reward mediocrity.

This. The Lakers might have a lot of money and they might use that money, but they won't do it for no reason. There's no chance his market value was 7 million dollars. No chance. Ginobili isn't a seat filler anywhere but San Antonio and his play doesn't warrant that kind of money.

What a stupid contract.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby escobar8 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:50 am

therealdeal wrote:
KareemTheGreat33 wrote:Do what the Lakers do with their FAs... tells player look around and bring us what other teams are offering and we will match it or let you walk. Feel the market. Don't reward mediocrity.

This. The Lakers might have a lot of money and they might use that money, but they won't do it for no reason. There's no chance his market value was 7 million dollars. No chance. Ginobili isn't a seat filler anywhere but San Antonio and his play doesn't warrant that kind of money.

What a stupid contract.

its not that bad contract...its only for 2 years...
i know he played bad in finals but he is still very good player and no way he should get less than korver or some budinger...
real head scratcher is tiago...
escobar8

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:57 am

No it's a bad contract. I don't think he's worth 7 million dollars for 2 years total. The dude doesn't play very much every year, he makes continually bad decisions, and he nearly single handedly lost the Finals.

What other team would pay 7 million dollars per year?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby escobar8 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:05 am

believe me some teams would...when players like webster,budinger or tiago are geting same or similar amount of money i dont doubt somebody would pay 7mil...
plus who they could get for that kind money that wouldv be upgrade over manu...
its short contract and they can easily move him next year if they want...
escobar8

Postby Weezy on Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:54 am

7 million dollars per year for a guy that absolutely vanished in the Finals and is injured half the time? :man3: I think SA's lost if with this one and the Splitter move, it's sometimes smart to keep a core together, but they just kept theirs together two years too long. The Thunder will be better next season simply by having Wedtbrook back, Memphis and GS aren't going anywhere, and the Spurs just get older. Manu has been great for them, but wow, 2 years 14 mil after those playoffs?
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:00 pm

Yep. No way that works out well for them.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Next

Return to NBA Discussion