Spurs the favorite to land Al Jefferson

Spurs the favorite to land Al Jefferson

Postby Balance&Options24 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:22 pm

Here is the latest they are telling me: The San Antonio Spurs are the front-runners to land Al Jefferson in a trade with the Utah Jazz – and they are frontrunners like Secretariat was in the 1973 Belmont Stakes. Here’s why, followed by a how. “Those teams are practically incestuous, they are on such good terms internally,” one NBA source told me Wednesday. SheridanHoops
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
User avatar
Balance&Options24

 
Posts: 1066
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: Spurs the favorite to land Al Jefferson

Postby Weezy on Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:40 pm

Interesting, could make the fight to get out of the West much more interesting if they got Al. I don't trust SA as anything more than a great regular season team as is, but adding Jefferson might change that depending what they'd give up.
User avatar
Weezy
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 50881
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA

Re: Spurs the favorite to land Al Jefferson

Postby XXIV on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:01 pm

TD and AJ would be very interesting to see. I wonder who the Spurs will give up though.
XXIV

 
Posts: 6390
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:20 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Spurs the favorite to land Al Jefferson

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:34 pm

And we thought our front line would be slow. :man10:

That'd make them a very dangerous team. I think the problem I see though is who would they give up to get someone like Al? I have to believe Leonard, Parker, Green, Duncan, and Ginobili are all off limits. So who's left? Stephen Jackson? The ACL-less man? There's got to be someone somewhere who can make a better offer...
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40358
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Spurs the favorite to land Al Jefferson

Postby FabFourLakers on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:52 pm

therealdeal wrote:And we thought our front line would be slow. :man10:

That'd make them a very dangerous team. I think the problem I see though is who would they give up to get someone like Al? I have to believe Leonard, Parker, Green, Duncan, and Ginobili are all off limits. So who's left? Stephen Jackson? The ACL-less man? There's got to be someone somewhere who can make a better offer...



I'm thinking Kawhi Leonard would be the guy they would dangle along with Stephen Jackson's expiring K. Or, maybe they just do Stephen Jackson and Tiago Splitter for Al Jefferson....they have a few options that's for sure. It's either gonna be S-Jax, Kawhi and Tiago for Jefferson or S-Jax and Tiago for Jefferson. they may even throw in Dejuan Blair or Nando De Colo...they have some prospects that the jazz would love. I could see the Jazz going for Tiago Splitter because Utah fans will think he's white (even though he's Brazilian) and he is rising big in this league.

Tim Duncan and Al Jefferson on that front line though? That makes the Spurs championship favorites in my opinion....
User avatar
FabFourLakers

 
Posts: 11764
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:47 pm
Location: Irvine, CA

Re: Spurs the favorite to land Al Jefferson

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:04 pm

I don't think it'd make them any sort of Champion favorites.

And why does Utah take back MORE big men? Isn't the point of trading Jefferson to bring back perimeter players? They've got Millsap, Jefferson, Kanter, and Favors. They have no need for Splitter or Blair.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40358
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Spurs the favorite to land Al Jefferson

Postby FabFourLakers on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:14 pm

therealdeal wrote:I don't think it'd make them any sort of Champion favorites.

And why does Utah take back MORE big men? Isn't the point of trading Jefferson to bring back perimeter players? They've got Millsap, Jefferson, Kanter, and Favors. They have no need for Splitter or Blair.



That's true. Maybe they'll push hard for Kawhi Leonard then. That is the only way this deal makes any sense for the Jazz. If I were the Jazz, I'd push to get a PG though for Big Al. Maybe someone like Brandon Jennings...or even a Monta Ellis. Just get a guard...
User avatar
FabFourLakers

 
Posts: 11764
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:47 pm
Location: Irvine, CA

Re: Spurs the favorite to land Al Jefferson

Postby thkthebest on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:16 pm

I got to disagree here. I fail to see how Jefferson helps the Spurs or even see exactly how he fits the framework of the Spurs.

Low post scoring. That's all he provides. Popovich might be able to work some magic, but I don't see this move making the Spurs any better than they are right now.
Last edited by thkthebest on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thkthebest

 
Posts: 3954
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:59 pm

Re: Spurs the favorite to land Al Jefferson

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:17 pm

If it makes Utah worse...by all means.
#OURHOUSE
User avatar
lakerfan2

 
Posts: 9919
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm

Re: Spurs the favorite to land Al Jefferson

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:17 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:
therealdeal wrote:I don't think it'd make them any sort of Champion favorites.

And why does Utah take back MORE big men? Isn't the point of trading Jefferson to bring back perimeter players? They've got Millsap, Jefferson, Kanter, and Favors. They have no need for Splitter or Blair.



That's true. Maybe they'll push hard for Kawhi Leonard then. That is the only way this deal makes any sense for the Jazz. If I were the Jazz, I'd push to get a PG though for Big Al. Maybe someone like Brandon Jennings...or even a Monta Ellis. Just get a guard...

Exactly. I'd definitely go after the PGs in Milwaukee or Charlotte. There's some really solid guards out there that they can get to balance out their roster.

If not, I can see them targeting Leonard. The thing is, didn't San Antonio basically put the franchise tag on this kid? Pop said he could be a superstar in the NBA and the cornerstone of a franchise. I don't agree, but if he's held in that high of regard then I'd be surprised to see them part with him.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40358
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Spurs the favorite to land Al Jefferson

Postby FabFourLakers on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:47 pm

therealdeal wrote:
FabFourLakers wrote:
therealdeal wrote:I don't think it'd make them any sort of Champion favorites.

And why does Utah take back MORE big men? Isn't the point of trading Jefferson to bring back perimeter players? They've got Millsap, Jefferson, Kanter, and Favors. They have no need for Splitter or Blair.



That's true. Maybe they'll push hard for Kawhi Leonard then. That is the only way this deal makes any sense for the Jazz. If I were the Jazz, I'd push to get a PG though for Big Al. Maybe someone like Brandon Jennings...or even a Monta Ellis. Just get a guard...

Exactly. I'd definitely go after the PGs in Milwaukee or Charlotte. There's some really solid guards out there that they can get to balance out their roster.

If not, I can see them targeting Leonard. The thing is, didn't San Antonio basically put the franchise tag on this kid? Pop said he could be a superstar in the NBA and the cornerstone of a franchise. I don't agree, but if he's held in that high of regard then I'd be surprised to see them part with him.


Lol. Why do you think Pop did that? So that the Spurs could make a move like this to get an all star big man in Al Jefferson.....Pop is smart, he knows how to work opposing team's GM's...

Ok but conspiracies aside, yes, Charlotte and Milwaukee have some nice young guards....get Kemba or Jennings...heck I'd even try to get John Wall maybe from the Wizards....I could even see them going for RONDO even though he's injured....Boston would love to bring back Al Jefferson...
User avatar
FabFourLakers

 
Posts: 11764
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:47 pm
Location: Irvine, CA

Re: Spurs the favorite to land Al Jefferson

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:50 pm

No I know that's why he wanted to do that, but the Spurs usually do things like that with players they draft: make them huge. Guys like Ginobili and like TP... I feel like in other situations they'd have been Joe Johnsons or Steve Francises. REALLY good players for a short amount of time, but not Championship guys. The Spurs take guys and make them champs.

I think Leonard can be the next one... Definitely not a cornerstone, but a solid, solid, solid guy. Is he worth Jefferson? No. I think the Spurs would have to include a pick. But they are actually pretty dependent on that kid to provide some outside ability and perimeter defense... Trading for Jefferson might not make them a whole ton better from a team persepective.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40358
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Spurs the favorite to land Al Jefferson

Postby abeer3 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:53 pm

yeah, don't see how it drastically changes SA's chances, and i don't know what SA could offer that utah would care for. add in that these teams could face off in round 1, and i doubt it happens.
abeer3

 
Posts: 10407
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:15 pm


Return to NBA Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.