Stephen Curry's coming out party

Stephen Curry's coming out party

Postby Iceberg Slim on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:48 am

I watched this game from tip off. He had 4 points at the end of the 1st quarter. 23 in the second. Me and my girlfriend looked at each other at one point and said, "He's going for 50."

Those around Charlotte, NC know him well. He grew up here. The Bay Area obviously knows him. He's the reason the Warriors felt confident in dealing Monta Ellis off. But for the rest of America, I wonder how much they talk about him? I'm certain of one thing...they are talking about him now. This game is going down in the history of the league as one of the greatest shooting performances ever. I felt compelled to make a blog entry about him this morning.

www.icebergslimspeaks.wordpress.com

Hopefully Curry can stay healthy and battle the best guards in the game for years to come. If so, the league is in trouble.
Last edited by Iceberg Slim on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.thesportslyceum.com - personal blog

Iceberg Slim

Re: Stephen Curry's coming out party

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:41 am

11-13 from 3? Added to what, 7 assists and 6 rebounds? Impressive.

Don't watch him too much, but from what I've seen it looks like his shooting touch is on par with Steve Nash. Or better? :man4: He might be able to hit that 50/40/90 clip if he improves his efficiency.

I don't think this was a fluke performance...he has solid game. But Brandon Jennings dropped 55 that one game and he's hardly a superstar.

Who was guarding Curry? Kidd? Felton?

One thing to note is that Jennings' performance came at home, while this one was on the road @ Madison Square Garden. A basketball court is a basketball court, but not just anyone drops 54 there.

Statement game.
Chillbongo

Postby Iceberg Slim on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:42 am

Typo from ESPN?

They are saying Curry's 54 is the 3rd most since Kobe and Mike's 61 and 55. They also showed all the other 50+ point games in recent times, notably Lebron's . But thanks to Lakerswiz, this is the real...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/lists/step ... o=31610434

Iceberg Slim

Postby Iceberg Slim on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:50 am

He abused Raymond Felton for much of the game. But it wasn't like these 3's came in the half court set. They would come in transition. It'd be a 3 on 2 and he'd just pull up. Or he'd get double teamed, throw the cross on someone, spin the opposite way, fadeaway, splash. He even hit a couple over the out-stretched arms of Tyson Chandler (who had 28 rebounds). Sometimes, he'd be walking the ball up and just jack it from the hash mark. During the post-game with Doris Burke, Melo chuckled and said (paraphrased):

There's nothing you can do when he's shooting like that. He was pulling up from the hash mark. He's got the purest J in the league.

To hear another jack artist like Melo say that is real.

Iceberg Slim

Postby Juronimo on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:21 pm

I wish I would have watched the game. I'm a fan of Steph Curry's game, have been since he was a rookie. I felt like he could be the next Steve Nash if he could stay healthy, due to that jumper of his. 11 3's? 54 points? Nice.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby thisbjgz on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:17 pm

Not surprised..he's been hot all season from the 3..i snagged him up FOURTH round FOURTH!!!! on my fantasy team and he's been singlehandlely carried my team all season long,

Exciting great great game.
thisbjgz

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:47 pm

Like I've said elsewhere, it's not the kid's game that people question. It's his health.

Those ankles make me almost as nervous as Bynum's knees at this point. We all know Curry's a baller and score with the best of them. But can he stay healthy? And on top of that, can he learn to play a little defense while staying healthy?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:08 pm

Curry is shifty and is not a high fly act so I don't quite get the ankle injuries he's sustained. Great shooter. I find it amazing that he gets his shot off anywhere, anytime over defenders bigger, faster and longer than he is. Smooth player overall. If he can be more durable, Curry would have a very good NBA career.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:16 pm

Iceberg Slim wrote:Typo from ESPN?

They are saying Curry's 54 is the 3rd most since Kobe and Mike's 61 and 55. They also showed all the other 50+ point games in recent times, notably Lebron's . But thanks to Lakerswiz, this is the real...

I thought Kobe's 61 was the MSG record, wasn't it?
On that site you linked it says it's Wilt with a 73 pt outing, and Elgin Baylor once put up 71 in there too

But I do remember watching the game and they kept saying "highest point total ever by any player in MSG" or "55 is the most an opponent has ever scored in this arena (MJ)" or "60 points by Bernard King is the most any player has ever scored here"..
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Finwë on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:22 pm

Like realdeal said, it's always been about health with Curry. If he can manage to stay healthy, he can be an all-star pretty much year in, year out.

His game is VERY good. Everyone knows about his shooting touch, but his also a very skilled playmaker and a creative finisher. He's no defensive stopper but his D isn't bad.
The only criticism I'd make on his game is his shot selection. He can be quite the chucker sometimes. He's a PG, and I've seen him go 4 of 15 or 3 of 12 in ONE half. If his shot isn't falling, things aren't gonna go very well.
But that's fixable. And to be fair, it probably has to do with M. Jackson's coaching style. Haven't heard him on ONE huddle where he isn't telling his guys to shoot the ball, to take every good look.. He's got some amazing shooters on that squad, and he's encouraging them to take any type of shot as long as they feel they can make them.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Frank Dux on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:23 pm

I've been a big fan of Curry since his sophomore year of college(when he lit the world on fire during march madness). He's a player who I would love to see playing for the Lakers. His jump shot is a thing of beauty, he's on pace to become the best 3 point shooter of all time if his body holds up.

His efficiency is just absurd for a high volume guy, he attempts over 7 3's a game, and converts at 46%. That is just unreal to me. He's no spot up go either, his pull up jumper is money, and he shoots in his defenders grill.

Right now Steph is the number one option, but I think he's would make an excellent second banana to a Lebron, Durant, or Kobe.
Frank Dux

Postby c.Lin on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:46 pm

I only saw highlights, but man, he was letting it fly from everywhere. Awesome display.
c.Lin

Postby Magic Skywalker on Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:50 pm

Finwë wrote:
Iceberg Slim wrote:Typo from ESPN?

I thought Kobe's 61 was the MSG record, wasn't it?
On that site you linked it says it's Wilt with a 73 pt outing, and Elgin Baylor once put up 71 in there too

But I do remember watching the game and they kept saying "highest point total ever by any player in MSG" or "55 is the most an opponent has ever scored in this arena (MJ)" or "60 points by Bernard King is the most any player has ever scored here"..

Wilt and Baylor did it in the old Madison Square Garden. The current one is from 1968.
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:04 pm

^ Yeah. Kobe's is the most anyone has scored in THIS Garden.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Maluco Beleza on Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:07 pm

anyone who knows bball knew he'd drop 50 one day.

the dude can shoot and score.. is this this surprising?

i just didnt want him breaking kobe's record
Maluco Beleza

Postby keyindabox on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:48 am

It was a marvel watching him perform. He literally made EVERYTHING from EVERYWHERE. Dude was just pullin Kobe stuff left and right, making shots that were almost always contested. Best performance in the Garden since Kobe's record-breaking game IMHO.
"Like I say to people all the time, I don’t care what Brooklyn do, I don’t care if they have a better record than we do this year, we still got “New York” on our chest. We’re still New York’s team, regardless of what Brooklyn do." - Ray Felton
BLACK MAMBA
keyindabox
Clublakers Rep: Knicks

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:36 pm

I thought MJ did 63 in the Garden in the playoffs, or was that in Boston?
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:56 am

Frank Dux wrote:I've been a big fan of Curry since his sophomore year of college(when he lit the world on fire during march madness). He's a player who I would love to see playing for the Lakers. His jump shot is a thing of beauty, he's on pace to become the best 3 point shooter of all time if his body holds up.

His efficiency is just absurd for a high volume guy, he attempts over 7 3's a game, and converts at 46%. That is just unreal to me. He's no spot up go either, his pull up jumper is money, and he shoots in his defenders grill.

Right now Steph is the number one option, but I think he's would make an excellent second banana to a Lebron, Durant, or Kobe.

He has the 2nd best 3pts career % of all time ...

It's absurd as you said with the type and numbers of shots he's taking ...
wcsoldier81

Postby KB24 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:09 am

V.V.V.V.V. wrote:I thought MJ did 63 in the Garden in the playoffs, or was that in Boston?

in Boston. I think Bernard King had 60 before Kobe broke the record with 61

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby D.B. Cooper on Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:37 am

Ok, came back to earth with better D.
D.B. Cooper

Return to NBA Discussion