Stephen Jackson Finally Signed By Hawks

Stephen Jackson Finally Signed By Hawks

Postby BDG on Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:29 pm

Hawks Sign Free Agent Stephen Jackson

ATLANTA, GA (October 3, 2003) ----- Atlanta Hawks General Manager Billy Knight today announced the signing of free agent guard/forward Stephen Jackson to a contract. Per team policy, terms were not announced.

“Obviously we are pleased to add Stephen to our team,� said Knight. “He’s a proven winner who was a major contributor on San Antonio’s championship team last season and he has the versatility to play both wing positions for us. He has tremendous growth potential and we are ecstatic to add a player of his caliber to our team.�

Jackson is coming off personal highs in virtually every statistical category in 80 games for the NBA Championship Spurs, with averages of 11.8 points, 3.6 rebounds, 2.3 assists and 1.6 steals in 28.2 minutes of action. He hit 43.5 of his FG attempts and 32 percent of his shots from the three-point area. San Antonio’s third-leading scorer a year ago, Jackson tallied a career-high of 28 points against the Los Angeles Lakers on November 20, 2002.

“This is where I wanted to be from the beginning,� said Jackson. “Hopefully this is the start of great things for me and the Hawks organization. I want to contribute right away and help this team win. Shareef (Abdur-Rahim) and I go back to our days in Vancouver (training camp 1999) and I’ve known JT (Jason Terry) since his days in Arizona. We all have the same goal and that’s to make the playoffs and win a championship, and I’m happy to do whatever I can to help us achieve that goal. It's been a long summer, but this is where I wanted to be from the beginning and I’m happy we were able to accomplish that today.

“I appreciate the time I spent with the Spurs, where I learned a great deal from playing with guys like Tim (Duncan) and David (Robinson) and I hope to bring those same experiences to Atlanta.�

In the 2003 Playoffs, Jackson was third in scoring behind Duncan and Tony Parker, with 12.8 ppg. During the Finals against New Jersey, he started every game and recorded 10.3 points, 4.2 rebounds and 2.7 assists, as the Spurs beat his former team in the series, four games to two.

Read More: http://www.nba.com/hawks/news/Hawks_Sign_Free_Agent_Stephen_-85618-33.html
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Guest on Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:55 pm

He passed up $2.5 million/4 years with the Clippers for $1.2 million/1 year with the Hawks.

He has a dumbass agent, aswell as himself..

Postby SWOL on Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:58 pm

the hawks are paying 2x as much....well the duck landed somewhere
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby Guest on Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:02 pm

Hoopshype/insidehoops last week said the Hawks were offering like 1.2 million..

Postby SWOL on Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:10 pm

yeah but 4 years 2.5 is like 500k a year
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby rydjorker121 on Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:40 pm

the Hawks are actually getting the remnants this offseason...first Nailon, the re-signing of Terry and now this: Stephen Jackson. Don't forget Dion Glover either. Now that both Jacksons have been signed, that's great news. It's not like we were going to get any of them anyways. But Stephen is a particularly immature one..didn't want to go to the Clippers? Was it hate? LOL. I don't like his attitude, whether he's played in Dominican Republic or in minor leagues or whatever, that guy won't succeed if he keeps that up.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby smilez on Fri Oct 03, 2003 8:23 pm

Who cares what the Hawks do they are still going to suck.
smilez

Postby LakerFanFor16Years on Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:50 pm

Do DUCKS and Hawks get along?
LakerFanFor16Years

Postby FabFourLakers on Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:59 am

The hawks will actually have a DECENT starting lineup:

Ratliff(if healthy)
Abdur-Rahim
Nailon
Jackson
Terry

OR

Ratliff
Abdur-Rahim
Jackson
Glover
Terry

ORRR

Ratliff
Abdur-Rahim
Nailon
Glover
Terry

i like their starting lineup...they definetly filled their voids at SF and SG....they are the late winners of this year's offseason....
FabFourLakers

Postby rydjorker121 on Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:44 am

FabFourLakers wrote:The hawks will actually have a DECENT starting lineup:

Ratliff(if healthy)
Abdur-Rahim
Nailon
Jackson
Terry

OR

Ratliff
Abdur-Rahim
Jackson
Glover
Terry

ORRR

Ratliff
Abdur-Rahim
Nailon
Glover
Terry

i like their starting lineup...they definetly filled their voids at SF and SG....they are the late winners of this year's offseason....

yeah dude they finally reinvigorated their starting lineup..Nailon is better to come off the bench in my opinion but he's aight as a starter...cant play D tho...their bench is still horrid, only Dion Glover now...and Nazr Mohammed, only if he's healthy, but now he's the subject of trade bait...they have a lot of youn'guns there, and the rest of guys can't do much, not even Alan Henderson. But they have really improved this offseason by a wide margin, although they still won't be able to make the playoffs.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby JSM on Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:47 pm

I think the most probable starting line-up is-
Theo
Shareef
Nailon
Jackson
JT
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Return to NBA Discussion