Steve Blake Discussion: Traded To Warriors

Re: Steve Blake Discussion

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:11 pm

Meeks has a reputation as a pure shooter, but the Lakers may ask for him to do more than just hit the open looks that will naturally come his way.

“I’m going to be asked to guard the point guards a lot,” Meeks said. “I’m still young and I’m still quick and youthful. If they need me to do that a lot, I’ll do that

http://www.hoopsworld.com/the-la-lakers-cant-win-on-paper

So Blake still may guard the opponent SG ... I hope not
wcsoldier81

Postby XXIV on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:24 pm

^ Mike Brown is suppose to be a defensive genius but having Blake guard the SG spot last season was really painful to watch. Let's hope he learned his lesson and will never/rarely use a two point guard lineup again.
XXIV

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:46 pm

On second thoughts, Meeks may see time with the 1st unit , defend the PG so we can hide Nash defensively when the opponent SG isn't a big offensive threat and Ko is at the 3 ... that's a possibility too since this lineup makes sense offensively ... I hope that's what the coaching staff envisions here
wcsoldier81

Postby KB24 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:33 am

How long before we can take a deep breath after getting rid of Luke's successor.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:31 am

i dunno, but when that happens i'll need a new name again
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby davriver290 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:07 pm

Lol Steve really gets a lot of crap on this forum. Despite frustrating moments from Blake, he has done exceptionally well. He plays decent defense. He can stroke it. He is overpayed. But he comes and does what he was brought to do. He also looked worse before because of our god awful bench. Even Matt Barnes (who is not bad) looked awful.
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:36 pm

davriver290 wrote:Lol Steve really gets a lot of crap on this forum. Despite frustrating moments from Blake, he has done exceptionally well. He plays decent defense. He can stroke it. He is overpayed. But he comes and does what he was brought to do. He also looked worse before because of our god awful bench. Even Matt Barnes (who is not bad) looked awful.

Exceptionally well is pushing it dav. :man10:

He's been adequate and that's what worries people about him. He hasn't shown the promise or ability to be more than that. I think this season if he can stop stepping on sharp objects he can be alright. Most people aren't happy with alright, but I know we can't expect good-great from EVERY position and some of them are just going to be alright. :man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby davriver290 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:00 pm

I think exceptional is a good word for him. He hasn't been awful but by no means amazing. He's average, and I think that's what we should expect from him. In his Blazers day he was what he is today. Spot up shooter, dribble up the court and make nice crisp passes.
davriver290

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:31 pm

davriver290 wrote:I think exceptional is a good word for him. He hasn't been awful but by no means amazing. He's average, and I think that's what we should expect from him. In his Blazers day he was what he is today. Spot up shooter, dribble up the court and make nice crisp passes.

The word exceptional means unusually great or outstanding. :man3:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:50 pm

KB24 wrote:How long before we can take a deep breath after getting rid of Luke's successor.

George > Cook > Radman > Luke > Blake
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:54 pm

therealdeal wrote:
davriver290 wrote:I think exceptional is a good word for him. He hasn't been awful but by no means amazing. He's average, and I think that's what we should expect from him. In his Blazers day he was what he is today. Spot up shooter, dribble up the court and make nice crisp passes.

The word exceptional means unusually great or outstanding. :man3:

Yep, I was confused by your use of the term as well. Exceptional means exceeding expectations. To me he still hasn't lived up to fairly modest expectations. That's not exceptional. That's below acceptable. Basically Exceptional = A grade. I think you were looking for "acceptable." Acceptable = C grade.

But to me he's lower than that so far as a Laker. I'd give him a C minus. Not failing, not horrible, but wildly inconsistent in his play and being a solid backup point guard should have been a NO-BRAINER for Steve Blake. He hasn't come close to giving us the stable play that has been his calling card for his career in the league.

I do truly hope he'll turn it around this year. We shall see. I have l defended his performance and ability before but I won't do it any longer.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby davriver290 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:04 pm

Forgive my vocabulary guys lol. That's what I mean, he's been alright. What else do you expect from Steve Blake?
davriver290

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:06 pm

davriver290 wrote:Forgive my vocabulary guys lol. That's what I mean, he's been alright. What else do you expect from Steve Blake?

I expect him to to step up and over a spike strip, but I was sadly disappointed.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:07 pm

davriver290 wrote:Forgive my vocabulary guys lol. That's what I mean, he's been alright. What else do you expect from Steve Blake?

^^ Cool. :man10: Yeah, he's been decent, but to me he's been too inconsistent. I want him to step it up a little and really hold it down with the second unit. On the plus side at least he'll have a talented backup shooting guard to work with this year in Meeks. He should also be able to set things up for Jamison. This is the season he really needs to show what he's capable of. If so the past is water under the bridge. But if not, he should be gone next year.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:29 pm

Lakerjones wrote:

^^ Cool. :man10: Yeah, he's been decent, but to me he's been too inconsistent. I want him to step it up a little and really hold it down with the second unit. On the plus side at least he'll have a talented backup shooting guard to work with this year in Meeks. He should also be able to set things up for Jamison. This is the season he really needs to show what he's capable of. If so the past is water under the bridge. But if not, he should be gone next year.

Yeah, I'm just hoping for 2 threes a night and 3 assists and that'd be the best I could expect from him. Some solid defense maybe. He won't be asked to do too much in the Princeton, so that's nice. Hopefully he can lead a fast break or two.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby BigDan24 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:31 am

Doc Brown wrote:

I expect him to to step up and over a spike strip, but I was sadly disappointed.

:man10:
BigDan24

Postby 24K GOLD on Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:42 am

Check Steve Blake's twitter...he's been allowed to have full-contact practices. He's already fine.
I'm joining the communist now.. I don't like World peace...

24K GOLD

Postby KB24 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:51 am

24K GOLD wrote:Check Steve Blake's twitter...he's been allowed to have full-contact practices. He's already fine.

Steve Blake perfectly fine and in great shape means 4 points and 2 assists a night or something along those lines. In other words, it doesn't mean anything.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby davriver290 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:09 am

Here's to hope. Hope for a good season for Steve Blake :beer:
davriver290

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:12 am

KB24 wrote:
24K GOLD wrote:Check Steve Blake's twitter...he's been allowed to have full-contact practices. He's already fine.

Steve Blake perfectly fine and in great shape means 4 points and 2 assists a night or something along those lines. In other words, it doesn't mean anything.

:man10:
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby 24K GOLD on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:15 am

KB24 wrote:

You're on a roll. :bow:
I'm joining the communist now.. I don't like World peace...

24K GOLD

Postby therealdeal on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:40 am

When he's healthy he's good for 3 assists and about 5 points. Hopefully he can give at least that.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby nthydro on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:30 pm

I'm not being racist but are we the only team in the league with a two white PG rotation?
nthydro

Postby bystander on Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:10 pm

nthydro wrote:I'm not being racist but are we the only team in the league with a two white PG rotation?

pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:19 pm

nthydro wrote:I'm not being racist but are we the only team in the league with a two white PG rotation?

Yeah that's not racist at all.
Texas Lakers Fan

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion