Steve Blake Discussion: Traded To Warriors

Re: Steve Blake Discussion: solid, efficient, productive

Postby khmrP on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:22 am

did not like those 3 TO at all, if an AVG guard like Collison can give him that much trouble I'd be worried against better PG in going foward. I know his handles weren't great to begin with but dam if you cant bring the ball up how exactly are you even a PG? But with that said solid overall effort, the corner 3 help a bit but kinda gave it right back with that TO following a dallas miss and leading to Collison open 3.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:37 am

Here's a compliment, no wait *slap*

Just messing with ya khmrp.

Look the guy isn't a starting PG for a reason. He's going to make mistakes, he's going to get overzealous. Collison is young, lengthy, and he's an athletic guy. Blake also played good defense and was knocking down open shots. I thought he played relatively well. Obviously those turnovers hurt, but overall he had a very solid performance.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:44 am

therealdeal wrote:Here's a compliment, no wait *slap*

Just messing with ya khmrp.

Look the guy isn't a starting PG for a reason. He's going to make mistakes, he's going to get overzealous. Collison is young, lengthy, and he's an athletic guy. Blake also played good defense and was knocking down open shots. I thought he played relatively well. Obviously those turnovers hurt, but overall he had a very solid performance.

Collison lost his job to old geezer Mike James, just saying man. Get some dam handles, I'm not expecting AI killer crossover here, just dont get your pockets picked before evening crossing half court, not that much to ask for right?
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:51 am

Collison isn't great, but that doesn't mean he's not an NBA player. Not too long ago some teams thought of him as a potential starting piece. He's a good PG defender and a good player in the right situation.

You're right, I'm just saying don't let that completely bias your vision of Blake's game. Blake was poking balls loose, hitting open shots, and generally playing feisty like always.

Heck the turnover I most hated was the attempted full court pass. That was just bad decision making. Getting ripped means the defender actively beat you. Throwing a full court pass into the defense means you made a bad decision.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:40 am

khmrP wrote:did not like those 3 TO at all, if an AVG guard like Collison can give him that much trouble I'd be worried against better PG in going foward. I know his handles weren't great to begin with but dam if you cant bring the ball up how exactly are you even a PG? But with that said solid overall effort, the corner 3 help a bit but kinda gave it right back with that TO following a dallas miss and leading to Collison open 3.

LOL.. I look forward to your post in this thread now. Most game Blake is 4/5 assist to 0/1 turnovers. Last night he had a bad stretch but to say "get some damn handles" :man3: If memory serves me right his 3 turnovers in the fourth were 1) he mishandled the ball changing direction. The defender never got a hand on it or pressed him so it was just a lapse in concentration. 2) He tried a full court pass to a streaking Meeks off a great steal he (Blake) made. He waited half a second to long to get rid of that for sure. 3) He got trapped on the wing and tried to force it to Pau (or Kobe) and it was stolen. All three of those were preventable and is something he does not do very often. This season he is roughly 1 TO : 4 Ast per game I don't know that seems pretty good for a guy who isn't exactly even a PG.While I gave Blake my zero nod for his lapse in the fourth quarter the truth is he outplayed both his Dallas counterparts. He shot 50% from the field, played good D and denied the entry passes when he was clearly mismatched on the block after defensive switches.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby khmrP on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:16 pm

^^^2 of those of those TO's were Collison poking it from behind, I dont know what you were seeing...the half court pick pocket wasn't a mishandle, the replay clearly showed Collison reaching around and poking it away, just like the other one where he almost got by Collison. That 4th qtr clearly shows he can be flustered if enough pressure is put on him and Collison is not exactly an elite defender. The reason he has low TO to assist is because he doesn't take chances with the ball and throwing silly passes, doesn't mean he has handles to avoid getting harassed like he did in that 4th. He didnt' outplay Collison either, they both had similar stats.
khmrP

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:47 pm

^actually only one was. The first one Blake put the ball behind his back and it hit is leg where he lost it as it came back in front of him. That was when Collison got his hand on it and Blake got the foul. That TO was cause specifically by Blakes lack of focus at that moment. The one where he got ripped trying to get the ball to Pau (I think) was from the defensive pressure. The last, as I stated, was from him trying to push the ball with the long pass. It is a great if it works play but a kill you if it doesn't play. That ONE 4th quarter showed that he could make mistakes like everyone else. After that little spurt he settled back down and went back to being solid. Again, when you talk Blake you nitpick and try to find something to dump on. The reason he has low TO's is because he makes the "right" pass instead of the fancy pass. I beg to differ his game was more effecient that Collison and he played better defense overall. His +/- is also 40 points different than Collison. Collison got those 3 late steals when we played failry dumb for a spell. Other than that Blake was better for our team than he was for his.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:08 pm

Can we please give him some credit, jeez.... the guy hit 3 three's if I remember correctly.

Keep up the great work Blake :jam2:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby kenshi1023 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:39 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:Keep up the great work Blake :jam2:

you want him to "keep up the great" turn overs? wth is wrong with you :man10:
lakers turned mr.potatohead into pringles!
kenshi1023

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:44 pm

yea i had a couple of 'CMON BLAKE' moments when Collison picked him
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:15 pm

kenshi1023 wrote:
Battle Tested20 wrote:Keep up the great work Blake :jam2:

you want him to "keep up the great" turn overs? wth is wrong with you :man10:

He had 4 turnovers. This would be his first game in a LONG time where he actually had more turnovers than he had assist. So I'd go with Battle Tested and say Keep up the Great Work.
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby hollywood swinger on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:19 pm

blake & nash can't handle ball pressure. pretty pathetic imo poor 24 has to do everything.
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:17 am

it's because both lack the speed and size to fend off these quicker guards.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:36 pm

lol forgive me I only remembered the 3 threes he gave us but yes I was with the majority in the Gameday Thread in yelling at Blake for turning the damn ball over.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby JSM on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:21 pm

He had a few big plays -- couple 3s and securing the ball towards the end. However I don't excuse his play for the other 37 minutes he logged. His decision making was extremely poor. He forced passes at the wrong time, wrong place, and into traffic. Hell, he passed a couple balls directly to the Grizzles. His J in general was off tonight too. He did a poor job on Conley on the defensive end. A very ugly game for Blake. He would've been a lock for ZERO tonight if Meeks didn't decide to play for the Grizz this evening.

Hopefully Nash will be back Sunday and Blake can return to a reserve role.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby The Rock on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:22 pm

Good luck vs CP3 and Bledsoe Lol

Hit a couple of big 3s tonight, just convert those open opportunities you get. The worst thing that can happen is if he falls into foul trouble then we're screwed

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:23 pm

worst game in a long time. hope this was just an aberration.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby XXIV on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:25 pm

Not a good game by Blake although he had his moments. Hopefully he bounces back.
XXIV

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:28 pm

9 TO's in the last two games. Unacceptable.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby KB24 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:40 pm

stinker. Hopefully he goes back to being useful rather than his usual self.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby therealdeal on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:58 am

The five turnovers are a killer. He takes too many chances with the ball right now. I'm not sure why he's doing that. When he played within himself is when he was at his most effective for us.

6/4/4 on 2/6 shooting would be okay but with 5 turnovers, that's not good enough.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:43 am

^Odd about the turnovers from the normally passive super careful Blake. It could be D'Antoni's system making him a little too loose or trying to do too much in Nash's absence. I am heartened though by Blake not being gun-shy about taking open shots.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:55 am

As I said after the Dallas game, Blake's having a slight regression since he's been the starting PG. Sucks because he was REALLY hitting his stride since his return from injury in that backup PG role. He was killing it and showing confidence that we haven't seen since he got here. But there's nothing to be done. He's not really starting PG material as we saw last year. Somehow the added pressure and minutes seems to expose him. What I'm concerned about is it carrying over to his game when he goes to the backup role. But there isn't an alternative at the moment.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:56 am

therealdeal wrote:The five turnovers are a killer. He takes too many chances with the ball right now. I'm not sure why he's doing that. When he played within himself is when he was at his most effective for us.

6/4/4 on 2/6 shooting would be okay but with 5 turnovers, that's not good enough.

I just watched the game from last night and I think Blake is pressing a little hard to do the right thing. Half of his turnovers (like Kobe's) have been from making a pass that has been "just" off. I think he is pressing a bit and overthinking the game at times over the last couple. Hopefully, he can get back to just "playing"
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:03 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:The five turnovers are a killer. He takes too many chances with the ball right now. I'm not sure why he's doing that. When he played within himself is when he was at his most effective for us.

I just watched the game from last night and I think Blake is pressing a little hard to do the right thing. Half of his turnovers (like Kobe's) have been from making a pass that has been "just" off. I think he is pressing a bit and overthinking the game at times over the last couple. Hopefully, he can get back to just "playing"

^^ Good point. I think part of that is the glare of the starting lineup that I'm talking about. He really found his niche playing behind Nash, and in some games was straight up, better than Nash when he came in. But now he's coming back down to earth with the added minutes and pressure. He's not really a starting caliber PG any more and it's pretty clear when he is forced to be one.

Again, there's nothing to be done about it right now. I only hope that if/when Nash returns, Blake's confidence won't be hurt by this stretch and he can get his mojo back.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion