STICK A FORK IN DOC RIVERS

STICK A FORK IN DOC RIVERS

Postby mv_ix on Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:28 am

i post a poll on how long doc rivers would last on sunday, 16th of nov... he is fired :mad1: on the 18th of nov :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: :mad1:
mv_ix

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:57 am

He got fired today!!!??
LakersGyrl2003

Postby JSM on Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:08 pm

yeah, he got the boot.

Sportsline: Doc Rivers was fired as coach of the Orlando Magic, off to its worst start in its 15-year history.

Rivers said general manager John Gabriel informed him of the decision Monday night in a meeting at the team hotel after Orlando lost to Utah 90-88.

The Magic won its season opener but then lost 10 straight games, the NBA's worst record this season.

"It is part of sports," Rivers told the Associated Press early Tuesday. "I thought I had a good run here. Things just didn't work out in the end. Maybe the players need to hear another a voice."

The Magic reached the playoffs in the last three of Rivers' four seasons in Orlando, but each ended in a first-round exit. Combined with this season's dismal start, Rivers knew a change was likely.

"I have no ax to grind," Rivers said. "I thought the management and team were both great. I couldn't ask for anything more."

Assistant coach Dave Wohl was also let go. Assistant coach Johnny Davis will take over for Rivers.

"We work in a bottom-line business," Magic chief operating officer John Weisbrod said in a statement. "After a 1-10 start, it is our responsibility to do everything possible to create the best opportunity for success."

Davis, in his fifth season with the Magic, was previously an assistant with New Jersey from 1997-99. He has also been an assistant with Atlanta, the Los Angeles Clippers and Portland.

Davis went 22-60 and missed the playoffs as head coach of the Philadelphia 76ers in the 1996-97 season.

"Johnny is an experienced leader," Weisbrod said. "He is a solid teacher and prides himself on developing talent. We want to give him the opportunity to provide the new voice and direction that our team needs."

Rivers had been the longest-tenured coach working in the Eastern Conference, entering his fifth season with the Magic. At 42, Rivers plans to coach again.

"I'll go home, walk in the house and reintroduce myself to my family," Rivers said. "I'll see what I want to do. There'll be some options."

"I love coaching. I enjoy coaching," Rivers said. "I consider it in my blood, but I think it might be time for a break."
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:15 pm

It's about time something's been done.
LakersGyrl2003

Postby ZenMaster on Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:23 pm

Their GM, John Gabriel, should've been canned too
ZenMaster

Postby FabFourLakers on Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:21 pm

OK i dont see WHY johnny davis was named head coach when he was tha coach of tha 96-97 sixers(who had stack and AI at tha time) that went 22-60?!?!

The magic are headed for a lottery season...i feel so bad for T-Mac, and he was sayin how he wants to bring a title to this team...GOOD LUCK T-MAC UR COACH IS NOW A NO NAMER JOHNNY DAVIS!!!
FabFourLakers

Postby JSM on Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:26 pm

they will have him coach them until they can decide on a replacement...because there are a lot of people to chose from.

Wilkins, Fratello, Karl, Thomas, Tomjanovich and, Skiles
JSM

Postby FabFourLakers on Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:29 pm

jsm0331 wrote:they will have him coach them until they can decide on a replacement...because there are a lot of people to chose from.

Wilkins, Fratello, Karl, Thomas, Tomjanovich and, Skiles

OO i c cuz they are in tha middle of a road trip right? So FOR NOW hes tha INTERIM head coach...not tha PERMANENT head coach...man tha magic better look long and hard at what other coaches are out there...

I thinkn they might hire Skiles....he used to play for tha magic so it would make sense if he was named head coach...did he resign as suns head coach or did he get fired?
FabFourLakers

Postby JSM on Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:40 pm

well they say they are in no dire rush to hire another coach...but if T-Mac wasn't happy with Doc, then there's no way Davis can keep him content.

T-Mac wants a good coach and wants to go further in the playoffs, something they won't be able to accomplish with Davis.

I think T-mac will have the biggest say so in who they get, because they have to keep him happy, because without him...they are a guaranteed 1st pick in the draft for a good 10 years

I think once they see this guy can't do much better, they will try and get a better coach asap, because the main reason they did this was so they could have someone coach them that could help them win..and not to continue to lose games.

I expect to see one of those coaches I mentioned with them by Christmas (at the very latest)
JSM

Postby FabFourLakers on Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:45 pm

Man how much longer til tha magic win a game?
FabFourLakers

Postby shaqpak34 on Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:23 pm

duuude it wasnt docs fault...they had noooo personnel.....THEIR GM SHOULDA BEEN BOOTED NOT DOC

THEIR FRIGGIN TEAM IS TMAC

HED DO BETTER WITHOUT THE TEAM!!
shaqpak34

Postby BDG on Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:25 pm

Like firing him is really gonna turn that team around...
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Kobe834 on Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:28 pm

more details......http://www.hoopshype.com/
Kobe834

Postby JSM on Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:00 pm

Doc Rivers might join the cast at ABC.

Sportsline: Fired Orlando Magic coach Doc Rivers spoke with ABC Sports about working as an analyst on its top NBA announcing team.

"We're not at liberty to discuss what we've discussed with him," ABC spokesman Mark Mandel said Thursday.

Rivers was a TV analyst for Turner Sports before joining Orlando.

A message left with Rivers' assistant was not immediately returned Thursday.

Al Michaels is ABC's lead play-by-play announcer.
JSM

Postby JSM on Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:15 pm

UPDATE

Doc has joined the ABC staff, I guess he's had enough of coaching for one year

Sportsline: Fired Orlando Magic coach Doc Rivers has joined ABC Sports as an analyst on its top NBA announcing team.

"Doc is absolutely the right fit for our NBA broadcasts," said Michael Pearl, senior VP and executive producer of ABC Sports.

"He brings the experience of being a game analyst and former player and coach, and his style is fresh and opinionated. We are thrilled that this worked out for us to be able to bring him onto our team," he said.

Rivers will work with Al Michaels on a select number of regular-season and playoff games, as well as the NBA Finals. He will also work games with play-by-play announcer Brad Nessler. Rivers' and Michaels' first game will be Houston at the Los Angeles Lakers on Christmas Day.
JSM

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:39 pm

Doc can't get it done when he doesn't have any firepower on the team.
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby FabFourLakers on Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:00 pm

the sixers should fire randy ayers and hire doc rivers damnit! they're 6-6 for god sakes!! well they have been injured so thats an excuse...but i jus dont like randy ayers coaching that team!!! how about isiah or george karl!!

funny how tha sixers are 6-6 and #1 in tha atlantic? shows how poor tha atlantic is doin this year....
FabFourLakers

Return to NBA Discussion