Suns trying to get Kobe?

Suns trying to get Kobe?

Postby JSM on Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:12 pm

Some rumors are that this trade (Knicks and Suns), will benefit the Suns because of all the cap room they will have next year, Kobe Bryant may be their main interest.

Not that they will get him, because we can offer him the most money, just thought it was an interesting article and someone had requested this article, so here it is:

ESPN Insider: A supernova just hit Phoenix. The Suns are blowing up again. Suns GM Bryan Colangelo read the writing on the wall. His team, once considered the best young squad in the NBA, was floundering. Attendance was dwindling. The luxury tax was looming. The chances of making the playoffs dimmed by the day.

What to do? Trade away problem child Stephon Marbury, get Penny Hardaway's millstone off your neck and try again next year. The prize? Enough cap room to make a run at the Lakers' Kobe Bryant, the rights to the best young point guard in Europe, Milos Vujanic, and a chance to to go from a being a good team to a great one next year.

If the cap comes in at around $45 million next year, and the Suns are $10 million under, the Suns are suddenly right in the middle of the hunt to land Kobe.

And at first glance, they'd have to be the odds-on favorites. Kobe has been hinting that he wants out of L.A., but before today's trade, his best option appeared to be the Clippers. While the Clippers aren't a bad option for him if Donald Sterling is willing to pay, the Suns would be better. Combined with Amare Stoudemire and Shawn Marion, along with young players like Joe Johnson, Zarko Carbarkapa, Lampe and Milos Vujanic, the Suns would have as formidable of a team as any in the league. Phoenix has always been a premier free-agent destination because of the weather and the way the Colangelos run a first-class organization. Having Italian coach Mike D'Antoni couldn't hurt things either.

Yes, Kobe would have to take a decent pay cut to play in Phoenix. He's due $14.6 million next year in Los Angeles, and the Suns would probably be able to offer him only around $10 million. But for Kobe, the change of scenery, and the chance to win a championship without Shaq, may be worth the salary hit.

Even if the Suns can't land Kobe, the serious cap room will help them land a top-flight player. The acquisition of the two young European prospects -- Lampe and Vujanic -- also bodes well for the Suns' future.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:38 pm

Yeah, that's interesting though... I don't see Kobe Bryant signing with another team first of all, but I don't see him signing with another Western team if he does leave. I see him heading to the East if he does opt out.
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby shaqpak34 on Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:28 pm

the thing that makes kobe not go to the suns is they already ahve marion and stoudemire....who are franchise players for them

the reason kobe might leave LA is cus he dont wana share his glory wit shaq, and unless he goes to like the bobcats or something, he would have to share it wit at least one other guy
shaqpak34

Postby Kobe834 on Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:33 pm

aint gonna happen. U know they are lookin for Kobe when they involved cash in this trade, but no.
Kobe834

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:51 pm

shaqpak34 wrote:the thing that makes kobe not go to the suns is they already ahve marion and stoudemire....who are franchise players for them

the reason kobe might leave LA is cus he dont wana share his glory wit shaq, and unless he goes to like the bobcats or something, he would have to share it wit at least one other guy

u see marion and amare are NOT as big as shaq malone and payton

they are tha perfect squard to SURROUND kobe with...kobe needs a supporting cast like that around him for tha future...
FabFourLakers

Postby JSM on Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:58 pm

I know they are going to try and get Kobe, but I don't think they will or should.

Amare is playing great, and when he gets back from his injury he will continue with that success. They need to build around him, he is their future superstar. Remember this is only his second year, he will be the KG type of player. They don't need (as much as they want) Kobe, it would hurt Amare in the long run. What they need to do with all that extra money, is get some good solid role players to go with Amare and that compliment him. They need a better center (unless Lampe develops rather quickly), a good point guard (Parker type, to get Amare the ball), and some more depth at the shooting guard position.

By the way who is this guy they got the rights to from NY, he's a pg. Is he supposed to be any good
JSM

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:04 pm

jsm0331 wrote:I know they are going to try and get Kobe, but I don't think they will or should.

Amare is playing great, and when he gets back from his injury he will continue with that success. They need to build around him, he is their future superstar. Remember this is only his second year, he will be the KG type of player. They don't need (as much as they want) Kobe, it would hurt Amare in the long run. What they need to do with all that extra money, is get some good solid role players to go with Amare and that compliment him. They need a better center (unless Lampe develops rather quickly), a good point guard (Parker type, to get Amare the ball), and some more depth at the shooting guard position.

By the way who is this guy they got the rights to from NY, he's a pg. Is he supposed to be any good

look at what barbosa did in marbury's absence tnight: 27 pts 4 assists 11-18 shooting

this guy is a ROOKIE by tha way...

and mulos vujanic is like tha best point guard in europe right now...hes like marko jaric only better...
FabFourLakers

Postby JSM on Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:10 pm

looks like a bright very young future for the Suns
JSM

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:15 pm

u still think when amare comes back tha suns can crack into tha playoffs?

ppl are sayin its over for tha suns...but i dont wanna count them out yet...i think tha turning point of tah season was when amare and cabarkapa both went down...even Frank Johnson said "those injuries could cost us a playoff berth"...unfortunately he jinxed himself there
FabFourLakers

Postby JSM on Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:23 pm

I don't know...Zarko and Amare are both expected to be back this month, but when your management doesn't even have faith in you it kind of lowers your moral. It's a lot tougher to climb the ranks in the west because even the 9th, 10th, & 11th placed team (Utah, Memphis, and Portland) are very good teams. And the Suns are dead last. Plus they have to fit all these new guys in and get everyone used to playing with one another. It doesn't look good for them. I just don't think they have enough to make it this year, next year probably, but I think this season they are a little too late.
JSM

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:45 pm

jsm0331 wrote:I don't know...Zarko and Amare are both expected to be back this month, but when your management doesn't even have faith in you it kind of lowers your moral. It's a lot tougher to climb the ranks in the west because even the 9th, 10th, & 11th placed team (Utah, Memphis, and Portland) are very good teams. And the Suns are dead last. Plus they have to fit all these new guys in and get everyone used to playing with one another. It doesn't look good for them. I just don't think they have enough to make it this year, next year probably, but I think this season they are a little too late.

if they could gel in time...i think they have a chance at it....only if they were in tha east!

theres no chance in tha west...i mean tha frickin utah jazz are doin so good this year...
FabFourLakers

Postby wongy on Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:23 am

:man3: If it ever comes to the point of Kobe considering the Suns, why not just swap? Kobe to the Suns, Amare to the Lakers?? We could probably get something extra in that deal.. Shaq,Amare and Karl in the paint?? :wow: :wow: :wow:
"Stu" should be the man...
wongy

Postby ShaqAttaq on Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:15 am

I think they do trying... But they might not sign Kobe, they can sign somebody else... Work out some sign-and trade deals!!!
Shaquille O'Neal: "Me shooting 40 percent at the foul line is just God's way of
saying nobody's perfect."
ShaqAttaq

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:08 am

Its all wishful thinking for the SUNS... KOBE WOULD NEVER GO THERE!!!
Why would he leave Los Angeles and go to a team in the same conference where we would have to play him 4 times!!! KOBE is from the east coast it would be naturally for him to return to his roots.... maybe not Philly but maybe New York..... well maybe not :freak2:
Like from a POST I READ not too long ago..... KOBE WILL BE A FREE AGENT FOR ABOUT 5 minutes then he will re-sign with the LAKERS!! :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby iWuVkObE8BrYaNT on Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:45 am

i still think he'll sign with either the Clippz or Memphis

`Behind every great man is a great woman`

`It is not necessary to hope in order to undertake, or to succeed in order to perservere`
iWuVkObE8BrYaNT

Jamaican Lakerfan

Postby Jamaican Lakerfan on Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:05 pm

Both NY and Phoenix might make more moves to free up more cap room. Congrats to Isiah for some brave moves; hopefully they will work out. I feel a little sorry for starbury; he and KG could have been special.

Marbury's been bounced from NJ to Phoenix to NY now, and he will have to be what Isiah hopes he can be, or the trade will backfire on him.

As for Kobe, I believe he will re-sign with the Lakers and endure Shaq for 3 more years. By then, Shaq (if he doesn't get serious) will have declined to the point where the offence will have to go through Bryant.

The Suns would love Kobe; for all Marion's athleticism, he doesn't like to get hit and go to the free throw line. Amare is full of potential but has a very limited offensive game right now, and will take time to get up to the level of Garnett or Duncan (if he ever does). They would want Kobe mainly for his clutch play, leadership, toughness, and determination - qualities the Suns desperately need to do well.
Jamaican Lakerfan

Postby crucifido on Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:50 pm

No mater hyow much cap room they clear they stil lcan't pay him as much as the Lakers can pay him under the current salary cap rules.

Kobe, Shaq, Karl and Gary all stay and Rasheed will come on board. The Lakers will do whatever they can do bring Wallace here. They'll do it not only to make the team even stronger, but also to show Kobe that the organization is looking beyond Shaq's career and at him being the cornerstone of the franchise.
crucifido
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Guest on Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:45 pm

Don't worry about Phoenix making ANY offers for Kobe. The Phoenix fans are very conservative, and the owners have made it a point to avoid players with legal problems. That was the main reason for dumping Kidd and Robinson. Until and unless Kobe’s legal problems are resolved the one team you can be sure that will NOT want him is Phoenix. My guess is that they are looking for either Garnett or T Mack. One thing is for sure they are in a position to do next season what Denver did this season.

Postby lakerfanimal on Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:22 pm

kobes staying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: :mad1:
ImageImage
lakerfanimal

Postby FabFourLakers on Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:49 pm

Anonymous wrote:Don't worry about Phoenix making ANY offers for Kobe. The Phoenix fans are very conservative, and the owners have made it a point to avoid players with legal problems. That was the main reason for dumping Kidd and Robinson. Until and unless Kobe’s legal problems are resolved the one team you can be sure that will NOT want him is Phoenix. My guess is that they are looking for either Garnett or T Mack. One thing is for sure they are in a position to do next season what Denver did this season.

they cant get KG or T-Mac...they will not be FA's this season...T-Mac can opt out but i doubt Phoenix really wants him...i think tha only chance Phoenix has at KG is a sign and trade...Marion, SToudemire and Mcdyess for Garnett possibly...

but tha Suns are OBVIOUSLY goin for Kobe...no team in tha league wouldnt turn down kobbe DESPITE his legal troubles
FabFourLakers

Postby shaqpak34 on Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:54 pm

they are wasting their time by goin for number 8
shaqpak34

Postby lakerfanimal on Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:13 pm

firstly, this optin out is a business decision, secondly ther is some thinkn that he cud go to phoenix, cus he loves ther coach, but then the suns dont really like D'antoni so if he leaves, theres almost no chance kobe will go there. When kobe was a kid his fav player was D'antoni in the italian league, but believe me kobe wants to stay firstly
ImageImage
lakerfanimal

Postby shaqpak34 on Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:15 pm

lakerfanimal wrote:firstly, this optin out is a business decision, secondly ther is some thinkn that he cud go to phoenix, cus he loves ther coach, but then the suns dont really like D'antoni so if he leaves, theres almost no chance kobe will go there. When kobe was a kid his fav player was D'antoni in the italian league, but believe me kobe wants to stay firstly

exactly, the suns just traded their best player in hopes of gettin something intangible like kobe

maybe KG but still theyd have to give up a LOT for him
shaqpak34

Postby BDG on Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:59 pm

They probably won't get KG unless they play him at SF.

The Suns are going to build that team around Amare and having two PFs won't let them do that.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby wongy on Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:15 am

:man3: Hey Crucifido, that thing about Wallace.. is that true? Or just a wish?? That would be awesome, but with the kind of money Wallace gets, how do we pull that trade?? :man3:
"Stu" should be the man...
wongy

Next

Return to NBA Discussion