teams that may make some moves

teams that may make some moves

Postby JSM on Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:20 am

ESPN Insider breaks down some teams and what they could do and how they could do it. So here's the list:

New Jersey Nets
Why? Because the defending Eastern Conference champs are just 7-11. Without Alonzo Mourning or Dikembe Mutombo, the team is very vulnerable in the middle. With a looming sale, at some point the team is going to have to think about cutting some costs.
How? The only obvious answer is to move Kenyon Martin. Martin becomes a restricted free agent next summer, and it has become pretty clear the Nets aren't interested in throwing huge amounts of cash his way. Their payroll is already out of control as it is. Maybe it's time to see if the Nets can reunite Martin with Eddie Jordan. A trade of Martin and Kerry Kittles to Washington for Jerry Stackhouse, Kwame Brown and Brevin Knight seems to make sense for everyone. The trade gives the Nets good players and cap relief. After that, the Nets may have to hunker down and wait for Serbian center Nenad Kristic to wash ashore this summer.

Toronto Raptors
Why? The trade for Jalen Rose and Donyell Marshall will address their scoring woes, but it left a gaping hole in the middle of their defense. For now, rookie Chris Bosh is manning the middle. But on most nights, that's not a favorable matchup for the Raptors.
How? The Raptors still have assets that could be moved. Several teams have shown interest in Morris Peterson and Michael Bradley, who both happen to be in the last year of their deals. A Peterson-for-Michael Doleac swap seems to make a lot of sense for both the Raptors and Knicks.

New York Knicks
Why? With the return of Antonio McDyess, the Knicks have some spare parts they could move. They have a shot at the playoffs right now, but with a little extra juice, they could be a contender.
How? The Knicks, for the first time in awhile, have some tradeable assets. Charlie Ward is playing well and is in the last year of his contract. Kurt Thomas is among the league leaders in rebounding, and plenty of teams have interest in Doleac, who just so happens to be in the last year of his deal, too. Could a combo of Ward and Doleac help the Knicks swing a deal for a younger player like Derek Anderson? With the Blazers looking for cap space, they'd seriously consider a deal like that.

Boston Celtics
Why? There's no one on the team right now supporting Paul Pierce on the offensive end. The loss of Antoine Walker has Pierce facing triple-teams on a nightly basis. New team president Danny Ainge knows his team lacks the talent to be competitive and is aggressively pursuing trades.
How? The Celtics were in the mix for both Donyell Marshall and Bonzi Wells but couldn't pull enough together to get a trade done. Their three most tradeable assets right now are Eric Williams, Chris Mills and Tony Battie. Williams and Mills are in the last year of their deals, making them attractive. Battie can play center and makes a reasonable amount of cash. Pool them together, and the Celtics have $16.4 million worth of tradeable salaries and around $11 million in cap relief for a team looking to save some money. If the Celtics were willing to throw in a No. 1 pick, wouldn't Zydrunas Ilgauskas and Ricky Davis for Williams, Mills and Battie make some sense? The Celtics would get some serious offensive firepower, and the Cavs could get $15 million under the cap next year and subtract two players who don't seem to fit in Paul Silas' system.

Orlando Magic
Why? They're in the midst of a 17-game losing streak. Need we say more?
How? That's a tough one. The Magic don't want to trade Tracy McGrady, and they can't trade Grant Hill. That accounts for more than half their payroll. Their best chance at making something happen would be to package Juwan Howard (eligible to be traded Dec. 15) and Gordan Giricek for either a center or a point guard. Could that combo get them either Brent Barry or Jerome James from Seattle?

Cleveland Cavaliers
Why? LeBron James is already the best player on the team. But where's his help? Right now, Carlos Boozer is the only other Cav who really looks like a keeper. The Cavs have the second-worst record in the East, and coach Paul Silas is starting to lose his patience.
How? The one thing the Cavs do have is assets. Ricky Davis, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Darius Miles and Chris Mihm are all attractive trade bait. I don't think they should trade all of them, but moving one or two for cap room isn't a bad idea.

Seattle SuperSonics

Why? Opportunity. The Sonics are playing well, but once Ray Allen comes back, they'll have a logjam in the backcourt. They need help at the four and five and seem to have the assets to make a trade work.
How? With Ronald Murray looking like the point guard of the future, the should Sonics package Brent Barry with one of their overpaid big men and bring in a legit power forward to help out Vladimir Radmanovic. Two trades that still make sense? Barry for the Pacers' Al Harrington or a combo of Barry, Jerome James and Radmanovic for the Hawks' Shareef Abdur-Rahim.

Indiana Pacers
Why? Despite its undeniable success, the team is going to need help in the backcourt if it plans to go deep in the playoffs. Once Jonathan Bender returns, the Pacers will have a serious frontcourt logjam.
How? In the past, Austin Croshere was the trade bait. However, Rick Carlisle likes him, and with Croshere's big contract, he's tough to trade, anyway. The Pacers love Al Harrington and claim they haven't given up on Jamaal Tinsley, but if they could package those guys and get a top-notch combo guard like Brent Barry or a point guard like Eric Snow, they'd have to consider it.

Atlanta Hawks

Why? Because they're going nowhere fast. With new ownership now in place, it's just a matter of time before Steve Belkin & Co. start cutting payroll and rebuilding the team.
How? There's a lot of interest in Abdur-Rahim and Theo Ratliff. If the Hawks can get cap room, draft picks and young prospects in return, will they bite?
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Vasashi17 on Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:30 am

What a surprise....all the teams listed are in the Eastern Conference and the only Western Conference team is Seattle possibly because of the injury to Ray Allen.

The East needs help..plain and simple.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Shaq Fan on Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:53 am

I heard this trade may happen:

76ers get:

Rasheed Wallace
McInnis

Blazers get:

Coleman
Buckner
Salmons

I think that trade works out for both teams. Sixers get another bad boy to go into trouble with Iverson, and Blazers get rid of a bad boy. I think it may happen.

Also I heard this one, but I do not think it will happen(I think the one above ^ may happen though).:

Spurs get:

Rasheed Wallace
Damon Stoudamire

Blazers get:

Nesterovic
Mercer
Bowen
2nd rd pick

Do you peeps think any of these trades may happen?

props to hoopskillz, OTK, Eyecue and DA.....
Shaq Fan

Postby Roscoe on Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:39 am

I don't think any of these will happen because they don't work out financially...

"Injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere." - Martin Luther King Jr.
Roscoe
ClubLakers O.G.

Postby BDG on Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:46 pm

They both would never happen not only because they don't work out financially, they would be incredibly dumb trades for the Blazers, especially the first one. They're getting mostly garbage players for a star and a key clutch role player? I wouldn't pull that if I was them.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby JSM on Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:51 pm

the teams that I think are the most likely to make a deal relatively soon...are:
    Raptors-the desperately need a big man
    Magic-they need help before T-Mac leaves
    Knicks-they don't need so many big men, and could get someone valuable in retirn for one of them
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Vasashi17 on Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:34 pm

I have to say that Dallas will make a move before its all said and done with.

Especially from this last game with the Lakers, they know, they are going to need a legitimate big man before its all said and done. The Spurs have Nestorivic and Duncan and the Kings have Vlade and Miller....Houston has Yao, Minnesota has KG and the Kandi-man.....so Dallas knows that if they want to contend with the rest of the Western Powers, they are going to absolutely need a big man. I really look for Dallas to get that done and they definitely have the names to appeal some type of trade.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby FabFourLakers on Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:28 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:I have to say that Dallas will make a move before its all said and done with.

Especially from this last game with the Lakers, they know, they are going to need a legitimate big man before its all said and done. The Spurs have Nestorivic and Duncan and the Kings have Vlade and Miller....Houston has Yao, Minnesota has KG and the Kandi-man.....so Dallas knows that if they want to contend with the rest of the Western Powers, they are going to absolutely need a big man. I really look for Dallas to get that done and they definitely have the names to appeal some type of trade.

Dallas should look to trade JAMISON! LIKE IVE SAID ALL ALONG...THEY ARE WASTING HIM! why are they bringing him off tha bench and starting a rookie? Jamison is bigger and more developed than Josh Howard, why not start Jamison? Mavs are stupid...they should trade Jamison to New York for Kurt Thomas and Charlie Ward......

and those trades between blazers and sixers or blazers and spurs would NEVER happen...NEVER...as much as i'd liek to see Wallace and Mcinnis come to Philly...it would never happen, unless the sixers traded Glenn Robinson...then maybe it would, but if they are trading COLEMAN Salmons and Buckner? NO WAY! and tha blazers are nto that stupid to get Nesterovic Bowen Mercer and a 2nd round pick for stoudemire(who has played good this season) and wallace(who can STILL play up to his potentiaL)...WONT HAPPEN!
FabFourLakers

Return to NBA Discussion