Thaddeus Young has requested a trade

Thaddeus Young has requested a trade

Postby revgen on Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:54 pm

EXCLUSIVE: Thaddeus Young Asks Sixers to Trade Him

A source close to Thaddeus Young has told Liberty Ballers that even before hearing his name thrown around in Houston-related Omer Asik trade talk, Young submitted a formal trade request to the Sixers weeks ago.

With the Houston Rockets supposedly ending trade talks regarding disgruntled backup center Omer Asik, Liberty Ballers has learned that one of the rumored names the Sixers were dangling has asked for a trade. Thaddeus Young, having been with the Sixers his entire career, has asked Sam Hinkie for a trade.

Young and his agent, Jim Tanner, submitted a formal trade request to Hinkie and the Sixers weeks ago, according to a source close to Young.

"Thad is ready to leave Philly," the source said. "He isn't with the whole tanking thing." The Sixers are currently last in the Atlantic Division at 7-19.

Source: Weeks before his name came up in Omer Asik trade talk, Thaddeus Young submitted a formal trade request to the #Sixers weeks ago.
— Jake Fischer (@JakeLFischer) December 19, 2013

When Tanner informed Young that the Rockets had called about the tweener forward, Young grew excited about the opportunity to leave the Sixers, though he's loved his time here. The chance to play for a contender with legitimate championship aspirations is too enticing.

Must Read
Thad's Trade Value
Michael Levin

"Thad is kind of anxious," the source said Wednesday afternoon while Asik talks were still ongoing. "He just wants them to do the trade if they are. He hates waiting. [Playing for a contender] would be great because the Sixers definitely aren't making the playoffs this year."

The Sixers drafted Young out of Georgia Tech with the 12th overall selection in the 2007 NBA Draft. The Sixers then rewarded Young, viewed as a consummate pro, with a 5-year, $43 million contract in 2011 after averaging 12.7 points and 5.3 rebounds in just 26.0 minute per game in 2010-2011. Since, Young has turned into one of the most valuable "glue-guy" players in the league for his contract and level of steady production.

Brett Brown's system has helped Thad's counting stats this season, averaging 15.8 points and 6.6 rebounds in 32.7 minutes per game. Naturally his on-court production and reputation as a high-character individual has his trade value fairly high.

And while Young has appreciated his time with the team and the city, he and his family started the Young For Youth Foundation to aid and support "at-risk" children in the Philadelphia area, his time with the 76ers is certainly running out.

"Playing for the Sixers is wasting a year of Thad's career," the source said.

We'll see when the Sixers oblige him.

http://www.libertyballers.com/2013/12/19/5228322/thaddeus-young-trade-sixers-rumors-nba-omer-asik
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Re: Thaddeus Young has requested a trade

Postby abeer3 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:00 pm

screw that noise. get paid then demand out? seems weak to me. I'm sure contenders would love to have him, but they generally have nothing to offer his team.

side note: troubling to hear that the players are aware of the tanking on an explicit level. I always assumed tanking was a front office thing that occurred independent of goings on with the team on a day-to-day basis.
abeer3

Postby revgen on Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:59 pm

abeer3 wrote:screw that noise. get paid then demand out? seems weak to me.

Young's current contract was signed in 2011. He didn't sign up for the situation he's currently in. So I don't think it's "weak" for him to ask for a trade.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby LakerFan1235 on Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:59 am

revgen wrote:
abeer3 wrote:screw that noise. get paid then demand out? seems weak to me.

Young's current contract was signed in 2011. He didn't sign up for the situation he's currently in. So I don't think it's "weak" for him to ask for a trade.

this. I respect that he wants to leave, I'd be pissed too if I'm an up and coming player and my franchise is just trying to tank. THAT seems weak to me.
Every time I begin to ask, "Is he really as great as I think he is?" ...He proves that he is.
Every time I begin to wonder...He proves it...That is why I won't lose hope in him.
You know who I am talking about.
LakerFan1235

Postby abeer3 on Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:20 pm

he's more than fairly compensated, and it's not like they were on the road to titletown when he signed. if I were a sixers fan, I'd be annoyed. and if I were their gm, I'd say stfu and play, fella.

you don't want to tank? ok, go win some games if you're so awesome.
abeer3

Postby Iceberg Slim on Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:41 pm

There's many sides to a story. If Young is requesting a trade because of the Sixers attempts to tank (which is exactly what they're doing) I can respect that on every levels. He signed that contract in 2011 with the hopes of the team moving forward. Right now, they have a losing culture...on purpose. I wouldn't want to be a part of that either. This spells good news for the Sixers actually. They can further tank by getting future draft picks for a young athletic small forward in Thad.

Btw, it's hard to tank in the NBA. It's not the NFL, where the worst team is guaranteed the #1 pick. Ask the Charlotte Bobcats who have deserved it more than twice. These things are hand selected. Wiggins is going to Toronto (hometown kid i.e. Eddy Curry, Lebron James, Derrick Rose) and Jabari is going to Utah (he's a Mormon). Conspiracy theorist? Sure, it's the NBA. It happens.
www.thesportslyceum.com - personal blog

Iceberg Slim

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:28 pm

I wouldn't want to be a part of tanking because for the most part, tanking isn't a one year and bounce back situation. If they strikeout this offseason, they will tank again and again and again until they get it right.

He should stay and try to build something in Philly, but that's going to be hard to do with the FO trying to have a fire sale with all the good players on the team.

It's really bad for the NBA as well. Philly should be associated with the rising young core of MCW/Young/Turner/Noel, but instead all I think of is a team trying to swim down s*** creek while dumping all their players along the way.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Barnstable on Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:03 pm

abeer3 wrote:he's more than fairly compensated, and it's not like they were on the road to titletown when he signed. if I were a sixers fan, I'd be annoyed. and if I were their gm, I'd say stfu and play, fella.

you don't want to tank? ok, go win some games if you're so awesome.

I don't understand how you can blame him for wanting to be gone. Should players just accept that their team doesn't want to win? That kind of mentality and conduct should not be encouraged or accepted by anyone with pride.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:13 am

I have absolutely no problem with what Young is doing. He's a professional athlete trying to make something happen. Nothing wrong with that.

I also don't have a problem with Philly tanking. They're not going to find free agents who want to go there as they're built now. They don't have the funds that New York and LA. Tanking makes more sense for them. If they nab a franchise level talent they could try to turn themselves into a more desirable stop.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:34 am

I guarantee nobody has told him not to play to win. and I bet the coach and the guys he takes the floor with want to win.

I think I'd feel differently if young was a better player and it was later in his career. imo, philly has been pretty good to him. again, they paid him pretty well, given his production, and it's not like they've ever really been good in his tenure there. maybe he should take some ownership in it.

imagine, say, Jordan hill gets 5 years 40 million from the lakers next year, and then when they fail to rebuild quickly after kobe, he demands out of his losing situation. lame.

the irony is that if thad really wanted out, the last thing he should have done is let it leak. if I'm philly's gm, no way I'm trading him for nothing, and if I'm really tanking, what do I care if he pouts?

anyway, he's got an ETO after next year. let's see if he'll put his money where his mouth is (I'm guessing...no).
abeer3

Postby therealdeal on Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:12 pm

I wouldn't blame Jordan at all if he re-signed here and then asked to leave after realizing he was going to be on the worst team in the league or one of them. I wouldn't blame him at all.

Sometimes breakups just happen because the match doesn't work anymore. It doesn't make either side wrong.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:01 pm

yeah, I just disagree. I think there situations where I can understand wanting out, and there are situations where I can understand publicly asking out. the latter requires extreme circumstances. the former is only understandable in degrees. I just don't think young has much grounds to [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] here. lots of guys are stuck on bad teams. what if everyone demanded out? how much fun would the league be?

I think asik is a bit different, for example, because he's not asking to be sent to a winner. he just wants to play and realizes he's not a fit where he is. I still don't like how asik went about it (though I love it as an anti-rocket fan), but he has more of a right to complain, imo.

young is getting paid and playing in the city where he signed long term of his own volition. if he hates it so much, he can leave via FA after next summer, no problem. or he can quietly ask to be traded. but he shouldn't be able to force his way to a better situation, winning-wise, and I hope he doesn't get his wish (unless philly gets a great deal). it's a bad precedent.
abeer3

Postby Barnstable on Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:22 am

^If the Lakers with Hill signed to that contract, were just a bad team and couldn't figure out how to right the boat to win, that's a totally different situation for a team purposefully trying to have a horrible record just so they can have a chance at the top pick in the draft.

I have no respect for tanking. A team should be ashamed of their organization for doing such a thing and I'd have no problem with anyone wanting out from an organization that would do that. If the Lakers ever tried to tank, I'd be furious.
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:33 am

i think you could argue that the lakers FO is trying to tank, and that dantoni is short-circuiting it. half the rotation is re-tread minimums. seriously, put the lakers roster up against philly's, talent-wise, this year:

mcw > all laker pgs
hawes > gasol (sad, but true)
evan turner = injured kobe/henry
thad young > hill or Kaman
lavoy allen => sacre
wroten/Anderson < Johnson/young

i may be stretching to prove my point, but the lakers certainly didn't put together a competitive roster. they could have s&t'd Dwight for a second rounder, then used his TE to absorb players that might help them compete this year. they didn't. why? because they're thinking a couple years down the road....sound familiar?
abeer3

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:53 am

What? :man3:

We had to sign those guys at those deals because we have 60 million tied up in Gasol/Kobe/Nash.

Philly is on the brink of paying their players extra this season because they went with the least expensive team in the league.

You think if we had the room Philly had to add players we wouldn't have tried to sign other players? That's silly to think that we wouldn't. I'm sure if we had that 9 million to use on a player instead of Nash we would have used it, instead of pocketing the money like Philly would have.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Barnstable on Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:24 am

Umm, no it couldn't be argued that the Lakers are trying to tank. We just have a bunch of aging star eating up our cap, and two of which aren't performing to the expected level for their contract and a bunch of injuries to the team on top of that.

And this is the first and last time I hope to hear someone give Pringles the credit as being the savior of a team that they say is trying to tank :man10:
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:07 pm

the lakers are putting a pretty bad team on the floor, and they passed up a chance to get a TE for howard that might have helped them compete this year. why? because they kinda knew this year was a wash anyway. most of the fans knew this, too (except a few, I guess). I don't have a problem with it, as I think, long-term, they'll be better off than if they had gotten a TE and absorbed big salary to be 7th place instead of 10th. but anyway, it's the same logic on a smaller scale, imo.

watching philly (or any of the supposed tanking teams) play, I don't see efforts to lose. I see bad rosters losing to better ones. same thing I see with the lakers.

tanking is front office thing, not an on-court thing. thad's basically complaining about playing for a bad team. welcome to the life of about 150-175 nba players. you want to win? play better.

if the league wants front offices to stop tanking, they need to de-emphasize the draft's role in team building. until then, these guys are just being smart.
abeer3

Postby Barnstable on Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:46 pm

Tanking isn't putting a bad team on the floor. Tanking is making moves to make sure you're competing for the worst record in the league so you can get the #1 draft pick. Nothing the Lakers have done has even kind of suggested they are trying to have the worst record in the league, on the contrary, the Lakers would be elite if they were in the east.
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:16 am

well, they're 5-4 against the east, so probably not elite. but a playoff team, probably.

I guess my general point is that tanking is a matter of degrees, and the lakers are in that spectrum. maybe philly's further over, but neither one made their best effort to field a competitive team this year, imo. to me, egregious tanking is sitting better players when you don't need to (look for phantom injuries to vets late in the season) and things like that.

tbh, I thought the biggest tank move thus far was phx dumping gortat for an injured okafor...but clearly that wasn't tanking, either.

anyway, the larger point is that nobody really likes losing, so I don't see why thad thinks he's special enough to demand his way out of it. it would be different, again, if he were a) better b) older, c) had leverage or d) all three.
abeer3

Postby Iceberg Slim on Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:15 pm

^I don't think it's a matter of being "special" or elite, thus deserving the right to demand a trade. It's about being aligned with an organization that trying to improve day-to-day in a cutthroat league. I comprehend your point, but simply disagree with it. The Portland Trailblazers lost a lot of the games over the last 4 years. But every year, they fielded a team that looked to improve through drafts, trades, and player development. Now they're the best team in the league, record-wise. Considering what Philly is doing (trading away all-star Jrue Holiday for a rookie, writing off Noel for the entire year BEFORE the season started) I don't see how you think it's a rightful stance for Thaddeus Young to take. It's pretty clear to me, they're "Riggin for Wiggins.

BTW, I'm sure some of you guys watch college basketball. Jabari Parker is the elite prospect out of the 2014 class followed by Julius Randle. Wiggins truly might be only 3rd or 4th.
www.thesportslyceum.com - personal blog

Iceberg Slim

Postby abeer3 on Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:02 pm

eh, everyone ridiculed Memphis for the gasol trade (thinking they weren't trying to compete), and they were in the conference finals, what, three years later? point is that you can't judge a move right away. I found the holiday move puzzling, but maybe they view noel as a foundation piece (I don't, but I don't get paid for this).

it's good that young doesn't like losing. I don't like that he's kind of throwing everyone else under the bus--which is the clear implication of such a demand: I'm better than you/this. I'm not sure he is. we all fancy ourselves winners, and only a few actually are.
abeer3

Return to NBA Discussion