The Chris "Travel Dance" Duhon Thread

The Chris "Travel Dance" Duhon Thread

Postby JSM on Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:28 am

(Does he have an official thread? Couldn't find it if he did)

Mark Medina of the LA Times wrote:Laker fans may have forgotten about it, but the Dwight Howard deal involved more than just acquiring the NBA's best center.

The Lakers also picked up Chris Duhon's two-year, $7.5-million contract, making their backcourt more bloated than your stomach feels after an afternoon at the buffet.

Steve Nash will headline the group, giving the Lakers hope that the elite 38-year-old point guard will find easier looks for Kobe Bryant, run pick-and-rolls and offer glimpses of the former "Showtime" teams. After that, the Lakers have Steve Blake as their backup along with seldom-used Darius Morris. But it's clear Duhon has no interest in just sitting on the sideline.

"I want to play," Duhon said in a phone interview with The Times. "My approach is to go in there and show I can play and produce. However it works out, come start of the season, I want to be in the rotation."

It remains unclear if that unfolds once training camp begins Oct. 2.

Blake averaged only 5.2 points on 37.7% shooting last season, and the coaching staff has implored him to play more aggressively and not pick up his dribble so early. But they like Blake's playmaking ability and relative improvement in hitting outside shots, where he hit critical three-pointers in Games 1, 4 and 7 of the Lakers' first-round series last season against Denver.

Meanwhile, Duhon averaged 3.8 points and 2.4 assists in 19.5 minutes a game in his ninth year last season with the Magic. Even though Duhon shot 42% last season from three-point range, he lacked consistency with shots from 3 to 9 feet (23%) and 16 to 23 feet (38%). With a high turnover rate (27.6%) and low assist ratio (19%), Duhon also struggled last season in running the Magic offense.

"Sometimes you overthink and you doubt yourself a little bit," Duhon said regarding last season. "I think you could call it a lack of confidence. It's something I've been working on all summer. I put in the work and I'm here for a reason. I'm reminding myself that I've done what it takes. I just have to show and prove it."

This offseason, Duhon said he spent most of his time in Santa Barbara going "back to the basics" to ensure the same issues don't persist. Duhon said he primarily focused on his shooting and ball-handling, though he shed little on what that entailed. He also said he slimmed down from 200 pounds to 190 by going to the weight room in hopes of improving his quickness. And based on his stronger track record than Nash and Blake as a backcourt defender, Duhon believes that could earn him a ticket in the lineup.

"I'm putting in the work and obviously with the talent we're going to have, there's going to be a lot of open opportunities," Duhon said. "A lot of guys on the team will demand a certain amount of attention. I have to be able to be a guy that when left open can knock down those shots."

He sounded aware that his dream may not become a reality, but Duhon said that won't alter his approach with the Lakers.

"I can't have mood swings because things don't go my way or anything like that. My job is to go out every day, practice hard and compete hard," Duhon said. "If that results in me playing, obviously that's what I want. But if it doesn't, my job is just to continue to get those guys better. Obviously our goal is to win a championship."

Mark Medina of the LA Times wrote:

The moment the whistle blew, Chris Duhon jumped out of his chair.

The referees had just called Indiana Pacers forward Danny Granger for traveling as his team trailed by three points with 7.5 seconds remaining in a Game 1 first-round playoff matchup last season against the Orlando Magic. So once Duhon stood up, he instantly signaled the traveling call while performing a little dance.

Once the incident went viral, Magic fans snarkily suggested that marked the lone highlight of Duhon's otherwise struggling season, in which he averaged 3.8 points on 41.9% shooting in 19.5 minutes per game. Aside from laughing over the incident, Duhon believes that reflected his interest in the team's play even if he had a limited role.

"It was just a heat-of-the-moment type of thing," Duhon said, laughing, in a phone interview with The Times. "It was a really good game. I was into the game and it was obviously a key possession for us. It wasn't something that was premeditated or anything like that. It was one of those things that just happened. There was a travel and I was really excited."

It's possible Duhon, who came to the Lakers as part of the Dwight Howard trade, will provide more than just travel dances from the bench this season for the Lakers. The team announced Monday backup point guard Steve Blake will stay sidelined for at least three weeks because of a punctured wound in his left foot. This happened Blake stepped on a spike strip over the weekend at a beach parking lot. That leaves Duhon and second-year point guard Darius Morris competing for minutes as Steve Nash's backup.

It wouldn't be surprising, though, for Lakers fans to see Duhon perform the travel dance again. After all, 2012 postseason incident stems from when he would oversee games at his basketball camp in his home state, Louisiana.

"For years, I always would blow the whistle and do the travel dance when one of the kids travels," Duhon said. "It was something I've always done. It wasn't really something that just came out of nowhere."

So once the video went viral, plenty of hometown friends immediately recognized the dance.

"Guys at home were kidding around with me when they saw me," Duhon recalled. "They said, 'You do that all the time!'"
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: Chris Duhon on his role and the travel dance

Postby JGC on Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:35 am

LOL. That travel dance is AWESOME. I hope he does it on every call here.
JGC

Postby Ariza3 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:55 am

fans will be doing it...especially now that hes the backup PG during pre season
Ariza3

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:14 am

Lakers should show his dance on Staples big screen each time an opponent player is called for a travel
wcsoldier81

Postby 432J on Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:49 am

i have a feeling travel dances will make up most of his 2012-2013 highlight tape
432J

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:52 am

I was a huge proponent of getting this guy a few years ago. Sadly, he really sucked on the Magic. I hope he has something left in the tank - he's not old. I'd like to see him do something for us, but the staff will favor Blake as Brown seems to love him. Maybe he'll show some spark in the pre-season.
Lakerjones

Postby nameant on Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:54 am

Oh man...forgot he was on our team.
nameant

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:59 am

Lakerjones wrote:I was a huge proponent of getting this guy a few years ago. Sadly, he really sucked on the Magic. I hope he has something left in the tank - he's not old. I'd like to see him do something for us, but the staff will favor Blake as Brown seems to love him. Maybe he'll show some spark in the pre-season.

Well, he did shoot 40% from downtown last year, a career 36% shooter.

Never know with the Lakers though, Blake was a good shooter too. But I'll take anything over Blake at this point.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:18 am

If Duhon comes in and knocks down 40% from 3, forget Steve Blake, put Duhon in when Kobe/D12 in the game, as a sub for Nash, and let him spot up and knock down the J.

No dribbling for him though, just shoot and play defense.

I didn't have much confidence in Blake before his injury, now after the injury and him missing most of training camp, I don't have any.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby JSM on Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:23 am

Lakerjones wrote: the staff will favor Blake as Brown seems to love him. Maybe he'll show some spark in the pre-season.

True, but with Brown there's no telling how long that will last. Duhon's best shot at getting into the rotation is the fact that he's our best point guard defensively...as horrifying as that is that your 3rd string PG has that label. He has no issue throwing players in his dog house off a whim -- see Glock, Murphy, McBob.
JSM

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:28 am

Doc Brown wrote:If Duhon comes in and knocks down 40% from 3, forget Steve Blake, put Duhon in when Kobe/D12 in the game, as a sub for Nash, and let him spot up and knock down the J.

No dribbling for him though, just shoot and play defense.

I didn't have much confidence in Blake before his injury, now after the injury and him missing most of training camp, I don't have any.

Agreed, I don't have much confidence in Hard Luck Steve any more, but I don't think I want Duhon taking a ton of threes. Bottom line is we still need a PG to dribble the ball and set up Meeks who is a bona fide shooting guard.

Nonetheless I have no problem with Duhon getting the jump on Blake in Pre-season and seeing how he does. If he does well, cool. I think he could possibly play well for us. At least I hope so.
Lakerjones

Postby therealdeal on Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:41 am

I like Steve as a person, but if Duhon can be effective (I'm literally shuddering writing this), then he needs to play. I like Blake's passing ability more than Duhon's and I like Blake more as a person, but if Duhon can defend and hit 3s... well that was what Blake was advertised as.

All Duhon needs to do is defend, shoot well (not even great), and move the ball well and he's got the backup job... scary...
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:46 am

He shot 46% from 3s last year in 2nd half of season but only averaged 3.8 points a game in 18mins/gm. Steve Blake-ish, high 3% but doesnt take enough of them.

EDIT: Just checked his playoff numbers, obviously Dwight was out but wow, he played 61 minutes in the 5 game series and scored 3 total points. That is worse than Blake lol he took 5 shots the entire series.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:41 am

Duhon could be an improvement over Blake if he mainly plays in units with Kobe. We don't want him handling the ball, but he's been a good off the ball shooter for his entire career. & has shown the ability to step up on defense at times. I hope he's hungry to win a role in this rotation.
lakersin4

Re: The Chris "Travel Dance" Duhon Thread

Postby JSM on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:49 pm

Janis Carr of the Orange County Register wrote:Second-year player Darius Morris and veteran Chris Duhon will be pushing Blake for the spot as training camp continues. Brown said Morris and Duhon will get an opportunity to better their chances in Saturday’s exhibition against Utah at Staples Center.

Duhon averaged 3.8 points and 2.4 assists in 19.5 minutes a game last season with Orlando, but he is considered a better defender than Blake and Nash.

“Duhon needs to make sure he plays under control,” Brown said. “He’s extremely fast, quick to the basket. Sometimes he gets out of sorts a little bit, so hopefully he plays within himself a little bit more, recognizes the team a little bit better and continues to try and make sure he is doing the right thing offensively in terms of shot selection and all that other stuff without turning it over.”

“Defensively, he’s fighting for the back-up spot, not the starting spot, so he has to pick up full court, not look to steal the ball, and be solid on the other end of the floor without making mistakes.”
JSM

Postby trodgers on Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:11 am

Is Duhon really "extremely fast, quick to the basket"? If so, that's great news.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby karacha on Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:54 am

JSM wrote:
Janis Carr of the Orange County Register wrote:“Duhon needs to make sure he plays under control,” Brown said. “He’s extremely fast, quick to the basket. Sometimes he gets out of sorts a little bit, so hopefully he plays within himself a little bit more, recognizes the team a little bit better and continues to try and make sure he is doing the right thing offensively in terms of shot selection and all that other stuff without turning it over.”

Translation: Duhon is quick and can penetrate, but we don't really want to utilize this. He has to play like Blake: get rid of the ball as soon as he receives it and do absolutely nothing on offense if at all possible.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:48 pm

Apparently hes not that bad of a defender.

http://www.bdasports.com/how-chris-duhon-will-benefit-the-lakers/

Though not a lockdown defender, Chris Duhon will give the Lakers a better defensive option than Steve Blake.

At 6’1″ and 185 pounds, Chris Duhon can be a more physical defender than the 6’3″, 172-pound Steve Blake. Duhon is also two-plus years younger than Steve Blake and is more athletic.

Advanced statistics illustrate the impact Chris Duhon can have on his team.

With data taken from 82Games.com, here is how point guards Jameer Nelson and Chris Duhon performed with a “Core Four” of Jason Richardson, Hedo Turkoglu, Ryan Anderson, and Dwight Howard:

Points Per Possession Allowed – Magic Point Guards + Core Four

Chris Duhon – 0.89

Jameer Nelson – 1.04

Chris Duhon’s defensive impact in 2012 with the Orlando Magic was significant as opponents scored .15 fewer points per possession when he was on the floor.

Steve Blake’s Defensive Liabilities

The reverse is true with Steve Blake – the more Blake played with the Lakers’ Core Four, the worse the defense performed.

In 2012 the Lakers had a Core Four of Kobe Bryant, Metta World Peace, Pau Gasol, and Andrew Bynum. Here is how the Lakers’ point guards performed defensively with the Core Four:

Points Per Possession Allowed – Lakers Point Guards + Core Four

Derek Fisher – 0.98

Ramon Sessions – 1.05

Steve Blake – 1.10

The Lakers starting four performed much worse with Steve Blake than with Fisher or Sessions.

This is particularly bad news considering Derek Fisher was past his prime and Ramon Sessions is not considered as a defensive stopper.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:05 pm

Conclusion - Steve Blake is a turd and Duhon is a defensive turd.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Kou on Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:19 pm

Duhon looks like he's 50 years old.
NBA 2k9 team:

Fisher/Rose/Watson
Bryant/Wells
Lee/Ariza/Walton
Gasol/Yi
Bynum/Zo
Kou

Postby KB24 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:25 am

Duhon and Blake are both garbage. I just hope we can lighten the logjam by getting rid of Morris and Blake and add Barbosa.

Blake has next season guaranteed too...he sucks.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby The Rock on Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:54 pm

Duhon only had 3 points, 0 assists in 12 minutes but man he got players the ball in the right position, that whole 4th quarter we looked really organized. Good to know he can still play

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby karacha on Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:57 pm

He still has something left in the tank, and I actually think Phil would play him.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby JLaker17 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:58 pm

He deserves a legit shot.
JLaker17

Postby lakersyunowin on Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:01 pm

so far, i like his game. i really think i'd take him over blake. not everyone might feel this way, but it's a lot closer than expected. he just looks more comfortable and decisive (but granted, we haven't seen a whole lot of him)
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Next

Return to NBA Discussion