The Hawks Situation

The Hawks Situation

Postby JSM on Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:37 pm

As a resident of Atl, I just thought I would let yall know that a change will probably happen with this team before too long. Rumors of JT (to NY), Theo (to Raptors or Mavs), and even Shareef (to Mavs) being traded have been circulating a lot recently. Record wise, they are 2nd to last in the east (7-22), just above the Magic. They have lost 7 straight games, which is the longest current losing streak. And it doesn't look like they will get a win any time soon. The next 5 games are:
    Tue, Dec 23 Boston
    Fri, Dec 26 @ New Orleans
    Sat, Dec 27 Detroit
    Tue, Dec 30 @ Washington
    Fri, Jan 2 @ Minnesota

If they keep with the current tradition in the NBA, then Stotts will be on his way out, and they will hire a new coach. Even though the most of the team and the city of Atlanta seem to like Stotts, 2 of the stars with the Hawks don't care for him all that much. Stotts did not start Ratliff or Terry against the Warriors because they were late for 2 practices. Terry expressed some of his frustration. Here are a few articles about it.

The Oregonian: Atlanta Hawks coach Terry Stotts finds himself firmly planted on the hot seat after benching guard Jason Terry and center Theo Ratliff for a portion of the first quarter against Golden State on Wednesday. Stotts punished the players after they were late for two pregame meetings.

Ratliff responded with 15 points and 11 rebounds against the Warriors. Terry went scoreless, drawing Stotts' ire.

"I was disappointed in the way Jason approached it," Stotts told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "I thought he could have played harder and approached it the same way Theo did."

The fifth-year point guard, who usually has an upbeat personality, quickly fired back.

"I wasn't impressed with his coaching, either," he said.

The Terry-Ratliff incident illuminates the problems for the Hawks. The team is playing listless and not meeting even the low expectations associated with this group. That's not a good sign for Stotts, a first-year coach.

Terry, who signed a free agent deal with Utah before the Hawks retained him by matching the offer, and Ratliff are expected to be traded.
-------------------------------------------------
Atlanta Journal Constitution: Hawks coach Terry Stotts pulled Jason Terry after he committed two errors in the third quarter. As Terry headed to the bench, he lowered his head and tossed his white wristband in the air. Given the way the Hawks played Wednesday night, the wristband could've been substituted for a white towel.

Before the game, Stotts sat starters Ratliff and Terry for being late for two team walk-throughs. Stotts put both players in with 6:46 left in the first quarter, but he got totally different results from Ratliff and Terry.

Ratliff responded to his benching with his first double-double of the season, notching 15 points with 11 rebounds. Terry went scoreless for the first time this season, taking only one shot and committing two turnovers in just 16 minutes.

"I was happy with the way Theo responded and I thought he came out and gave all he had off the bench," Stotts said. "I was disappointed in the way Jason approached it."

Terry said, "I wasn't impressed with his coaching tonight, either."

Terry played just two minutes in the second half and was asked if he felt like one of the centerpieces of the team. Terry replied, "Am I? It don't seem like that to me."

"As a player you know when your coach isn't too happy with you," Terry said. "At the same time, I thought he was searching a little bit. What he was searching for? I don't know. I wasn't the answer. I'm not going to be the problem, either. Pointing fingers -- that's not how were going to get it done."

The season isn't over after 27 games. But the rest of it doesn't look promising for the Hawks (7-20), who have lost 11 of their past 13 games. The Sacramento Kings come to town Friday.

"We've got to make some changes," Terry said. "That's obvious. What it is, I don't know. I'm not management. Something's got to change."
--------------------------------------------------------
Atlanta Journal Constitution: In a season that continues to go awry, Hawks coach Terry Stotts benched starters Theo Ratliff and Jason Terry before Wednesday's loss to the Golden State Warriors. Stotts said he punished Ratliff and Terry because the players were late for pregame walk-throughs the past two games.

"I think they're all good people," Stotts said. "It's just a question of being on time. It was the second time for both of them."

Upon hearing this, Terry rolled his eyes and said, "I was late once, to correct the record, and that was today."

The move came a day after Ratliff blasted the Hawks for their "terrible" defensive effort in a loss against the Miami Heat. He said that the Hawks "lose the exact same way, every time on the floor" and suggested that Stotts should "change the starting five," among other gripes.

Stotts met with Ratliff -- one of the Hawks' three team captains -- for about five minutes before the game to air their differences. The meeting concluded with Stotts and Ratliff shaking hands before Ratliff left his office.

"It was pretty amicable," Ratliff said. "He expressed what he felt. I expressed what I felt."

"The team isn't playing well and it's a frustrating situation," he said. "It's OK to put [a loss] aside and get ready for the next game but we can't make those same mistakes. That was my whole point. If I didn't think I was right, I wouldn't have said it."
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby FabFourLakers on Sun Dec 21, 2003 3:01 pm

well atlanta is tha hell hole of tha NBA, terry wanted out of ATL by signing that offer with tha jazz, but tha hawks matched it...unfortunately for terry that is...

Tha hawks need a new look, shareef has done nothing for them, terry isnt a good fit, and ratliff will fit in somewhere else...i jus feel bad for whoever gets traded TO atlanta...but if Jamison, Nash, Finley, or Walker go to tha Hawks, then they should be happy, Jamison needs his own team, dallas is wasting him by starting a damn rookie over him....
FabFourLakers

Jamaican Lakerfan

Postby Jamaican Lakerfan on Sun Dec 21, 2003 3:34 pm

Y'know I thought the idea of getting Jamison to come off the bench was a bad idea by Dallas...but now I'm not so sure. Jamison never struck me as a franchise player in Golden State, and maybe the Dallas bench is a true reflection of what he has done in the league so far.

If the Mavs trade him, they should do it for Terry and not Shareef; they have enough small forwards. By getting Terry they would be getting another good guard to help out Nash, (or to help fill the gap if Nash leaves).
Jamaican Lakerfan

Postby rydjorker121 on Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:26 pm

I also heard that the Sonics according to the Tacoma News Tribune's Rick Bucher, that Ronald Murray has become more expendable and has more value as trade bait now that he's producing, plus his lucrative contract makes good bait for teams to catch.

Ronald Murray, Jerome James ($5 million combined) and Vitaly Potapenko ($5.7 million) may be traded for Theo Ratliff's $10 million contract.

And Richie Frahm and Ansu Sesay could also be thrown in to get Shareef Abdur-Rahim.

So Murray, James, Potapenko, Frahm and Sesay for Ratliff and Abdur-Rahim....WOW....
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby xxx on Sun Dec 21, 2003 5:35 pm

The first thing the Hawks need to do is move out of Atlanta and back to St. Louis or another city where they'd draw well. If you watch a Hawks game on TV, all you see are empty seats. They only draw well when the Lakers are in town or when Jordan was playing with the Bulls a few years back. Other than that, NOBODY goes to their games and it's been that way for years. I know for a fact that St. Louis, where the Hawks were originally, would love to have an NBA franchise. I used to live in St. Louis and the fans there are great, no matter how [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] the teams are from time to time and I guarantee you that they'd sell out every game. When you only have 5,000 people coming to your games, first of all your franchise is probably losing a lot of money and 2nd, the morale of the players doesn't exist because if the fans don't care and they're not that good to begin with, what do they have to play for? If they were in St. Louis, they'd be a cash-cow. The franchise would make a lot of money and they could in turn spend some of that money on improving the team. I know this will probably never happen, but as long as they're stuck in Atlanta, they'll be a low-class organization and won't ever have to worry about winning anything.
xxx

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:01 am

xxx wrote:The first thing the Hawks need to do is move out of Atlanta and back to St. Louis or another city where they'd draw well. If you watch a Hawks game on TV, all you see are empty seats. They only draw well when the Lakers are in town or when Jordan was playing with the Bulls a few years back. Other than that, NOBODY goes to their games and it's been that way for years. I know for a fact that St. Louis, where the Hawks were originally, would love to have an NBA franchise. I used to live in St. Louis and the fans there are great, no matter how [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] the teams are from time to time and I guarantee you that they'd sell out every game. When you only have 5,000 people coming to your games, first of all your franchise is probably losing a lot of money and 2nd, the morale of the players doesn't exist because if the fans don't care and they're not that good to begin with, what do they have to play for? If they were in St. Louis, they'd be a cash-cow. The franchise would make a lot of money and they could in turn spend some of that money on improving the team. I know this will probably never happen, but as long as they're stuck in Atlanta, they'll be a low-class organization and won't ever have to worry about winning anything.

yea seriously they need to move out of atlanta...that place is sad for any player to go to...either they move to st louis or tampa bay
FabFourLakers

Return to NBA Discussion