The Magic are frustrated about this season

The Magic are frustrated about this season

Postby JSM on Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:51 pm

T-Mac has shown frustration about his team this season, I wouldn't blame him. I mean it is pretty embarrassing to lose 18 straight games. And how could this continual losing hurt T-Mac...well..here is the article about the Magic as well as T-Mac from the Orlando Sentinel.

Orlando Sentinel: If the losing continues -- and there is no reason to suggest otherwise -- it will become an anchor this season to Tracy McGrady, whose status as an NBA superstar already is sinking.

Even when this streak eventually ends, McGrady can say goodbye to his perch as one of the top five players in the league unless he leads a miraculous turnaround.

"After three great years for me personally, this fourth year has been freaking miserable, for me and the team," he said this week. "When you don't win games, everything crumbles around you."

"We live in a society where it all comes down to winning and losing," said Magic teammate Grant Hill.

"To be honest, I really don't care about first team, second team, third team, whatever. I've been there," McGrady said. "I just want to start getting wins. And when you win, everything else takes care of itself. That's the way it should be."

It was a lack of winning last season that prevented McGrady from seriously challenging Duncan in the MVP balloting. Even though he led the league in scoring (32.1 points, 6.5 rebounds, 5.5 assists per game), he finished fourth in the MVP balloting, saddled with a mediocre team that lost in the first round of the playoffs for the third consecutive season.

He overcame mediocrity to retain his first-team status last season. Overcoming a brutally bad team would be unprecedented. The MVP Award is chosen by the media. The All-NBA teams are picked by the league coaches, which is why making that first team carries such weight.

The first sign of slippage in his status began last month just before the firing of Coach Doc Rivers, who still is regarded highly by teams who will be looking for coaches in the future. National analysts began to question McGrady's leadership abilities because he couldn't end the Magic's losing streak.

The losing will be felt off the court by McGrady in endorsement opportunities, but that reaction will be more in the future. McGrady's jerseys are hot sellers, trailing those of rookie sensations LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony. McGrady is ahead of Bryant, O'Neal, Duncan and Allen Iverson, according to an NBA report.

"At the end of the day, advertisers want winners," said Bob Williams, president of Burns Sports and Celebrities in Chicago, which helps match endorsers with products. "This kind of thing is a drag on Tracy right now. You can safely say that if he's on a losing team for a number of seasons, the impact could be millions of dollars in endorsement opportunities."

"I don't think he'll lose his popularity, his celebrity status," Hill said. "On one hand, you could say, it's just a bad situation, an unfortunate situation, bad luck, whatever, but winning still is the bottom line, and some great players over the years have missed out because of that."
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby rydjorker121 on Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:57 pm

I like the way that Grant Hill put it at the end...it doesn't affect his popularity, but people would definitely be frustrated if they can't win...the blame is like made put onto you..I feel for the T-Man...he's the only warrior on the team who wants to win, win, and win..by the way, the Magic lost to San Antonio tonight on their home court and that breaks their franchise record of 18 consecutive LOSSES...pathetic...but really, I don't understand why Drew Gooden's coming off the bench...bench spark? Anyhow, McGrady's been complaining for a while now, It'll be the needs to take action rather than saying just words. Trade Juwan Howard, he doesn't make an impact even though he puts up numbers. Tyronn Lue is showing his skills but needs to know how to pass. Now if the Magic were granted that luxury tax exemption they could have gotten Michael Olowokandi, but his 6 points and couple of rebounds per game shows that' he's a draft bust here and there. Grant Hill has bad luck with injuries and doesn't show any signs of returning to help his team anytime soon. The Magic, 1-18, just plain suck...they have a mediocre team but even a mediocre team at that seems to be at a loss for concentration and communication...sites reported that the Magic should sign Charles Oakley even though he's a cancer to losing teams, expecially the Magic. The fans are hollering and booing...McGrady has pondered retiring and his screaming for a win...all just looks lost in Orlando's team--the Magic.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby FabFourLakers on Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:29 pm

Tha magic are a disgrace to tha NBA...they have good players, but what are they doin with them? NOTHING...and they failed to get a good coach to replace doc rivers...wtf is management doing? Why havent they hired Isiah Thomas or George Karl yet? WTF are they waiting for? until tha team is 1-50? This is only gonna get worse...they dont face easy teams...their only easy teams in tha next 5 games r tha hawks and wizards...hell they might even lose to tha hawks!
FabFourLakers

Postby BDG on Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:53 pm

I hope they lose all of them because it would be funny for a playoff team to lose 23 straight without changing it's main personnel and adding Juwan Howard (who by the way is incredibly overrated). :man10:
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby LakerFanFor16Years on Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:30 pm

I feel bad for Tyronn Lue.
LakerFanFor16Years

Postby JSM on Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:34 pm

i feel bad for the Magic fans
JSM

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:05 pm

I bet Magic fans are really doubting how loyal they are to the franchise too. I hope they stay fans through thick and thin. It's like they can't even pull it together to win ONE freakin single game, not including their 1st game of the season.
LakersGyrl2003

Postby FabFourLakers on Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:32 pm

they could be 0-19 right now...they were down 10 with ilke 2 minutes left in tha 4th against NY, they were lucky that NY collapsed in tha waning moments...its pitiful and disgusting watchin tha magic play
FabFourLakers

Postby Bulls Fan on Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:24 pm

whats the record for most consecutive losses? and whats the worst record anyone has ever gotten? just curious
The ONLY Bulls Fan
Bulls Fan
Clublakers Rep: Bulls

Postby JSM on Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:34 pm

most consecutive losses in an NBA season is 23
JSM

Postby BDG on Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:44 pm

right now they got 19... they're very close.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby FabFourLakers on Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:58 pm

tha road to 24:

next 5 games are phoenix, @washington, new jersey, @atlanta, and @chicago

I think outta those 5 games...they can win one...and thats against washington...who are playin without Arenas and Stackhouse...but hey u never know...larry hughes can light it up, and Kwame Brown can show that hes capable of bein a star in this league ON occassion...i think tha magic have their best chance against washington...but it'll be a while til they win their first HOME game
FabFourLakers

Postby Bulls Fan on Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:11 pm

I REALLY hope Chicago isnt the team that loses to the magic....lol knowing my team though...they probably will lose. They have strange luck like that. They will do well against a team like the lakers but theyll get molliwhopped by the magic.
The ONLY Bulls Fan
Bulls Fan

Postby xxx on Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:52 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:Why havent they hired Isiah Thomas or George Karl yet? WTF are they waiting for? until tha team is 1-50? This is only gonna get worse...they dont face easy teams...their only easy teams in tha next 5 games r tha hawks and wizards...hell they might even lose to tha hawks!
I agree that they need to bring in a quality coach who will shake things up ALA Hubie Brown last year with Memphis. Memphis was probably the worst team in the league until Hubie took over. Since then, they've been about a .500 team. The problem is who in their right mind would want the Orlando job. Sure, they've got McGrady, but they've also got salary cap problems so bringing in other players would be nearly impossible with their current structure. Paying McGrady and Hill max contracts as well as paying Juwan Howard a lot of money doesn't leave much room to go out and make moves. Grant Hill needs to do the honorable thing and retire so he stops killing the Magic organization. It's pretty obvious that his chances of ever coming back on a full-time basis is slim and none. Of course, not every athlete is willing to sacrifice $$$ like Malone and Payton did so it's not likely that he'll do that.
xxx

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Sun Dec 07, 2003 10:04 am

I feel bad for T-Mac.

I mean, maybe he should stop wearing a "C" on his jersey, stop telling people he's going to take kids to school every night, and start winning a game or two.

19 Straight losses as of now... Wow..
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby rydjorker121 on Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:01 am

Yup..they lost to San Antonio....they need a bench, order and a coach...if thats three things that they need
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby FabFourLakers on Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:28 pm

u know what i find funny? why are they still showin that T-Mac commercial? where he says "dont worry about all these kids comin into tha NBA without an education...they'll be fine...i'll be takin em to school every NIGHT"

thats funny cuz all ive seen is these "kids" taking YOU to school every night!
FabFourLakers

Postby Bulls Fan on Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:33 pm

have the cavs played the magic yet? i wanna see LeBron tear T mac a new one.
The ONLY Bulls Fan
Bulls Fan

Postby FabFourLakers on Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:47 pm

Bulls Fan wrote:have the cavs played the magic yet? i wanna see LeBron tear T mac a new one.

No and not for a while, i think they play @cleveland on january 28th...maybe tha magic will still be on their losing streak by then...
FabFourLakers

Return to NBA Discussion