Is the NBA officially a faster paced league now?

Is the NBA officially a faster paced league now?

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:17 pm

I have 't been as sharp on the NBA season like I need to be this season , but I've noticed how well matched teams like Sacramento, Toronto, Charlotte, Orlando, etc to teams like MIamj, OKC, the Spurs etc. I mean know they won't win most of the games against these teams, but watching them play them so close, is interesting considering there's no mega stars to contribute to depth. Smaller role like type players seem to be the formula? Maybe?

Then you have the elite teams like the Warriors, OKC, Clippers, and Portland, adjusting to a more quick tempo offense. I mean we used to get on Orlando about living by the 3point shot, but then again the Blazers just set a record for 3 pointers.

There is really no dominant lock down team right now, basically anybody can lose to anybody and I don't know if that's a good or bad thing?
Jazzygirl205

Re: Is the NBA officially a faster paced league now?

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:30 pm

I think it's officially the worst season the League has had in a long time.

It's been a perfect storm of negativity for them. The only thing left would be if it were exposed how many guys are currently on HGH/performance enhancers.

Not only are there more than 2-3 teams intentionally playing poorly (Philadelphia, Sacramento, Milwaukee, and Utah all come to mind quickly), but one of their best money makers is in the lottery as well. When that many teams are purposely doing badly it leaves a really sour taste in the mouth of any real basketball fan. Games are less fun to watch when you know certain teams aren't trying.

Add to that the incredible injury plague. Kobe, Rose, Westbrook, Rondo... Even guys like Lopez, Horford, Marc Gasol, and Iguodala who are fringe stars have spent time on the sidelines. It's been a terrible year for injuries not just for the Lakers, but across the League.

It's been a disaster for the NBA. Selling a faster pace and parity are the only things this League can do to try to maintain relevance.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby thkthebest on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:47 pm

If this keeps up, the league would be playing at its fastest pace since 1994 (20 years ago).
thkthebest

Postby Johnnyboy on Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:14 pm

one lottery ball for each team. problem solved.
Johnnyboy

Postby LooN3y on Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:15 pm

When Or If It will ever happen, Once we get a influx of legit centers that can master the post, i think the game will slow down.

im not sold on the whole "run and gun/small ball" is the future, there just isnt enough fundamental talent right now.
LooN3y

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:41 pm

More PEDs. More cheap and younger talent getting playing time. Less defense. No centers.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby LakerFan1235 on Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:00 am

therealdeal wrote:I think it's officially the worst season the League has had in a long time.

It's been a perfect storm of negativity for them. The only thing left would be if it were exposed how many guys are currently on HGH/performance enhancers.

Not only are there more than 2-3 teams intentionally playing poorly (Philadelphia, Sacramento, Milwaukee, and Utah all come to mind quickly), but one of their best money makers is in the lottery as well. When that many teams are purposely doing badly it leaves a really sour taste in the mouth of any real basketball fan. Games are less fun to watch when you know certain teams aren't trying.

Add to that the incredible injury plague. Kobe, Rose, Westbrook, Rondo... Even guys like Lopez, Horford, Marc Gasol, and Iguodala who are fringe stars have spent time on the sidelines. It's been a terrible year for injuries not just for the Lakers, but across the League.

It's been a disaster for the NBA. Selling a faster pace and parity are the only things this League can do to try to maintain relevance.

Can you please elaborate? I'm interested in theories on this.
Every time I begin to ask, "Is he really as great as I think he is?" ...He proves that he is.
Every time I begin to wonder...He proves it...That is why I won't lose hope in him.
You know who I am talking about.
LakerFan1235

Postby therealdeal on Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:34 am

I'll preface this with the fact I have absolutely no inside knowledge of this happening, but here's my take on PEDs in the NBA:

The Olympics are rife with PED use. Professional sports around the world are rife with PED use. Even collegiate level sports are rife with it. The MLB has been caught with it and tried to fight it. The NFL has basically given up trying to fight it and has embraced it.

Am I to believe that the only other extremely popular American sport is free of it? I'd guess that most people in the NBA use some form of PED use. I'd guess that most of the top names use them like Kobe, LeBron, Chris Paul, and Dwayne Wade.

Dwayne Wade's transformation is obvious. Dwight Howard's has been obvious too. The only reason this hasn't been a story in my opinion is because the MLB fought them so hard and public opinion on PED use so far has been vastly negative. In my opinion, it doesn't really matter. If you want to keep the history books honest, you can draw a line between when we start openly using and when we weren't. But that's beside the point.

The bottom line is that PED use in the NBA is probably every bit the "problem" that it is in every other sport, but because the NBA hasn't addressed it yet and has taken a "no drugs allowed" policy they can't come clean. Everything is swept under the rug. They don't use PEDs.

If someone came forth with the truth, then I think you'd see easily the worst season in the history of the league for the NBA.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakefansac on Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:50 pm

Sports leagues will always protect its product when it comes to banned substance use whether it be PED's or marijuana. The NFL and MLB have done this to make sure a lot of players are not testing positive for it.

Yes, it is a faster paced league due to lack of true back to the basket centers and the referees calling letting a lot more physical play inside for defenses playing back to the basket centers and more offensive fouls for back to basket centers, especially when it comes to fighting for positioning.

When I watch the NBA now it Euro League or Euro Ball with lot of running and gunning and jump shooting.

Euro Ball is what Stern dreamt off (to make basketball more marketable) with all the rules changes especially allowing zone and it has come to that.
lakefansac

Postby Juronimo on Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:30 pm

Didn't Derrick Rose say that half of the NBA was on PED's? I don't recall what he said exactly.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Return to NBA Discussion