The Rise of Paul George

Re: The Rise of Paul George

Postby Johnnyboy on Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:04 pm

I don't see how Lebron is the MVP over PG so far. If he keeps this up, its his to lose.
Johnnyboy

Postby Pig Miller on Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:55 pm

Ice, you convinced me. i'm okay with trading Pau, Henry, and Blake for Paul George. I know he just signed a big contract, but i guess i can live with it
Pig Miller

Postby Forward Three on Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:40 am

I haven't seen all their games, but the games I have seen his decision making on defense is probably his most glaring hole right now, he is an excellent defender overall, just that he does seem to have a tendency to make bad decisions defensively that spoil otherwise solid D. But there is a lot to like about him otherwise, he plays with that type of confidence that tend to feel like the game is in good hands when he has the ball.

It's interesting how much of a second half player he is though, it's pretty stark, I guess that's just his youth showing, he might not always be wholly sharp and together out the gate but by the break he's a quick study and figures out what he needs to do.
Forward Three

Postby LakerFan1235 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:49 pm

You mean the type of decisions that lead to Lebron getting a lay up for the win in the play offs?
Every time I begin to ask, "Is he really as great as I think he is?" ...He proves that he is.
Every time I begin to wonder...He proves it...That is why I won't lose hope in him.
You know who I am talking about.
LakerFan1235

Postby havoc33 on Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:06 am

Will be interesting to see how George performs against the Heat and their defense. George has been in a mini-slump lately, or as his detractors like to say, he's just coming down back to earth.
havoc33

Postby lakersyunowin on Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:12 pm

the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby S.R.05 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:22 pm

plus he may be dating jessica burciaga, just as impressive as anything he's doing on the court
Hindsight is 20/20
S.R.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Weezy on Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:29 pm

Oh is Paul George playing this season? If I were going off ESPN and SportsCenter before today I wouldn't have known he or the Pacers existed. I guess if he's not in a game against Blake Griffin or LeBron we won't see him.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby halekulani on Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:33 pm

paul george just broke the internet
halekulani

Postby Ras Algethi on Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:03 pm

lakersyunowin wrote:

Damn he did the Vince Carter in game.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby Forward Three on Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:35 pm

It's criminal how George is being overlooked this season. The Pacers overall. He's doing amazing things and they've held a convincing and comfortable #1 record in the league, and it feels like Kevin Love, Lebron, KD, Blake Griffin, Chris Paul...etc are just getting way more attention all the time.

That dunk was a thing of beauty.
Forward Three

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:39 am

I thought this thread was about how Paul George grew 3 inches his rookie season.

Financially induced growth spurt?? :man12:
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:24 pm

that dunk was sick. Just like VC's.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:01 pm

4 point play to send the game into OT - Check

Clutch baskets in OT - Check

Game clinching steal - Check

Game sealing FT's - Check

Love watching this dude play.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Basketball Fan on Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:32 am

My cable went out before that happened :bang:

Anyways PG 24 will appear on Kimmel 1/27
Basketball Fan

Postby Iceberg Slim on Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:29 am

As much as we have bragged about Paul George since I created this thread, the "jury" is out on his game and ascent to stardom considering the 2014 season. It shouldn't come as a suprise either. He's not Lebron, Chris Paul or Kevin Durant...yet. There's a possibility he never will be. He's not the stat stuffer that superstars typically are. Then again, neither is Kobe Bryant. But it's blasphemy to even compare him to Kob'. But I am comparing their approach/mindset, which doesn't correlate to the monster numbers we've come to drool over the elite perimeter players of the league.

Here's how I dictate how dominant a player is: How good are your bad games? In the case of Lebron, he virtually doesn't have a bad game. It doesn't exist for him unless he's shooting a very low field goal percentage and/or not taking shots, like last years Finals. Bron on a bad night looks like 23 points, 8 rebounds, 7 assists, and 3 steals on 5-17 shooting.

Paul George on the other hand:

January 1, 5, and 7 against Toronto, Cavaliers, and Toronto respectively: 12, 8 and 3. 16, 5, 6, and 1. 11, 2, and 2. Underwhelming, to say the minimal. Kobe, Durant, Bron, Paul, and Lillard don't have games like this virtually ever. And yes, there's many factors for that reason. However you want to slice it, they impact the games in more stratified ways...offensively. Paul's gift is that he can be the most explosive offensive weapon in the Eastern Conference (aside from Bron) but also be it's best defender, also like Bron.

As I said before, he's what Scottie Pippen may have looked like had Jordan never existed and was given the reigns of a team. Of course, we'll keep tracking him. The kids a star. And right now, he's second to Kevin Durant if the MVP was given today. With Miami playing for 2nd and Russell Westbrook coming back soon, the narrative of the 2014 season might direct its attention back to George and Indiana, quite soon.
Last edited by Iceberg Slim on Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.thesportslyceum.com - personal blog

Iceberg Slim

Postby havoc33 on Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:51 am

Having watched every Pacers game this season, I'm surprised to see how shaky his handle still is. A lot of times when he is dribbling he almost ends up losing the ball instead of losing his defender. And he can throw some absolutely horrible passes. The Pacers colour commentator actually straight out calls George a bad passer, and I have to agree with that. That's a main difference between him and Pippen right there. Pip was a natural playmaker and a very good passer.
havoc33

Postby Iceberg Slim on Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:11 pm

Tip off is right now.

Portland vs. Indiana. Best offense vs. best defense. Let's see what PG has in him.

Iceberg Slim

Postby Iceberg Slim on Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:14 pm

Not a good showing by Boy George. 2-15 right now...

Iceberg Slim

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:02 pm

huge bucket to seal the game pretty much tho
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Finwë on Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:19 pm

IMO it was always clear that his offensive game is not ELITE yet. He lacks consistency, because IMO his fundamentals still need some polishing. His offensive greatness (when it comes) has more to do with a great groove and confidence (both individual and in terms of the whole Indy team), and not so much with bullet-proof fundamentals and offensive IQ -the type of level ELITE offensive players reach-.
Maybe he'll get there.
He's still an amazing player, especially when you consider that he makes stuff happen of both ends. Top 10 player right now
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby therealdeal on Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:39 am

Reminds me more and more of what a young Pippen might have looked like without Jordan.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:17 am

He's playing his fourth season , it will take time to be more consistent ...

I agree his offensive game isn't elite and needs to be polished ... his main value is he's a 2 way player ... I'll take him over Melo or Harden without a doubt ...

As for his handles , I don't know many 6'9 and over players whose handles are not shaky .

He's forcing too many shots right now , Indiana can go to others players if needed ...
wcsoldier81

Postby John3:16 on Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:58 pm

I came in this thread expecting pics of strippers.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:23 pm

Welcome back to earth, Paul George

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion