The Rise of Paul George

The Rise of Paul George

Postby Iceberg Slim on Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:40 pm

23.7 points, 6.3 rebounds, and 3.3 assists in just 36 minutes per. 15 games in, 1 loss. Outside of L. James, if you're picking an MVP today, you're probably choosing him. Here's a nice write-up about the evolution of the new star of the league...

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/10038731/paul-george-commitment-improvement-pacers-thinking-nba-title
www.thesportslyceum.com - personal blog

Iceberg Slim

Re: The Rise of Paul George

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:37 pm

I think we are seeing PG scratch the surface of what he is fully capable of. A big hurdle in his brief, but impressive career, is LBJ and the Heat. This season, if all goes as expected, there will be a 3rd matchup between the Heat and Pacers. If PG can lead his team to the Finals, the sky is the limit for his career.

They should just save the regular season MVP for the ECF and let whoever comes out of that matchup (LBJ vs. PG) get the honor.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Iceberg Slim on Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:49 pm

Doc, that last line isn't a bad idea. If the MVP race is that close, it just might come down to that in the voters mind.

George is probably 80-85% of the player he'll be in 3 years. Like you alluded to, I almost pity the fact that his reign is within that of Lebron. I don't want to make this about LBJ but, this era in the league is becoming eerily similar to that of Jordan's time from 1984-1998. No matter who you are, you'll always come in second (see Durant, Melo, Rose, Wade). But at 23 years of age, the future is quite bright.
Last edited by Iceberg Slim on Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Iceberg Slim

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:40 am

George has a case to be named MIP for the second straight season ... He obviously has a great work ethic as his current offensive jump from last season is impressive. His midrange game improvment is nice , next step for him would be to develop a post game within the next few seasons ( something KD has yet to develop by the way)

His impact on the defensive end is huge too , I would say he's already the second best two way player in the league behind Bron and if he keeps it up offensively , he's going to cement his place as the third best player in the league.

As for Indiana , they match up well against Miami , I think they can beat them this season but I still have doubts :

- Will Indiana be able to manufacturate enough good looks/take care of the ball when the Heat turn its defensive intensity up ?

- Even if it's mostly a young group , I fear the Pacers are going to spend too much energy chasing the number 1 seed while the Heat can keep up with its superior depth ( 10-12 players)
wcsoldier81

Postby noobiew on Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:41 am

Paul George is the one that I really like and would love to see the Lakers build a team around him as a centerpiece, but sadly to say that we have no chance to get him.

In this new CBA, Lakers need to draft their own Paul George, Kryie Irving, Anthony Davis or John Wall etc via the draft ... cannot get marquee young superstars in the free agent market anymore.

:man6:
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby Iceberg Slim on Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:22 am

I feel you Noob. Bill Simmons also had an opinion on fixing the Lake Show too... http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9466869/lakers I can't say I agree with all of it. But I agree with most of it. The facts are, Jerry Buss ain't walking through that door again. And his lame duck son couldn't get his head out of his arse to hire Phil or get a coach we could actually win with. For a bright future, I wouldn't mind sucking for a year and trading away all of the talent sans Kobe. Boston is set-up for the future with their endless stream of first round picks in 14', 15', and 16' thanks to Brooklyn. It's a new day in the NBA, semi-fresh from a lockout. Melo will be a nice consolation. But didn't we see D'Antoni and Melo together in the Apple already? That worked out pretty well.

Iceberg Slim

Postby Finwë on Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:44 pm

I'm digging Paul George's game more and more but I still have some reservations about it.. the biggest one being this:
I feel that a big % of his current success has to do with the great groove he's in, the confidence he's playing with, the success of the team and the support of the media. That's all great, but it's a concern in the sense that it's not a true base for consistency.
The greatest base for consistency is a player's fundamentals. He's good and has a nice understanding of the basics, but he's not really that polished in the most technical sense. I feel that when pressure ramps up, when Indy drops a couple of games/hits a bad stretch (every team goes through a couple) and all of the sudden they (and PG) loose their great groove and confidence, we may see some sub-par performances from George. I feel that will be the case because of what I just said -> his success seems to come more from a great confidence and mental state than from polished and consistent fundamentals.

He's always going to be very good -> he's very athletic, very long, has a nice touch and is playing in a good team with a good coach. But for him to be ELITE, IMO he needs to truly develop his game from a technical standpoint (i.e. work on fundamentals) to gain real consistency that will not falter against pressure and that won't depend on swag/groove and confidence.
He's already improved a lot, but I still see some areas that need a lot of development and work (footwork, positioning, balance, triple threat game, etc) for him to truly become a consistent, elite player.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby The Rock on Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:44 pm

Would he make the All star team if he were out West?

The jury is still out on him IMO, Im still not convinced hes a franchise player/cornerstone/perenial all star

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:56 pm

I agree Finwe ... He's just in his 4th season though ... I didn't follow the Pacers closely these latest few years ( it starts to get better but their offensive game was just too painful for me to watch even if I like watching great D) so when I watched them in the 11-12 playoffs I wasn't very impressed by George ... the potential and NBA body were there but I wasn't buying the "hype" ... two years later he's already a complete different player.

The biggest challenge for him will be to become a consistent superior offensive force , especially in the playoffs ... I think you can really limit him if your team defensive schemes are focused to stop him ...
wcsoldier81

Postby abeer3 on Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:57 am

love his game/attitude. give me paul George over a clown like harden any day of the week.
abeer3

Postby Iceberg Slim on Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:47 am

Finwe, this is essentially the reason I posted the article...about how he's improving ALL his qualities. His mindset, confidence, and especially his fundamentals. I am not sure if you had an opportunity to read the article. But his off-season regimen was dedicated to improve his most basic fundamentals (particularly ball handling and pick and roll reading comprehension). Zach Lowe provided video and Synergy related metrics showing his usage/improvement in the piece.

Personally, I think George is the truth and becoming more elite by the season. There's no fluff to his game. I absolutely think his confidence is growing, but that growth is directly linked to his efficiency and structural skills, translating into leadership.

Iceberg Slim

Postby havoc33 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:44 am

I've been watching George closely ever since he caught my attention midseason last year. He is now probably my favourite player to watch in the league. Although he has improved offensively (got a very nice midrange game going for him now), I'd still like to see him focus on getting to the basket more. Sometimes he does not seem confident enough in his slashing game, and is somewhat weak on a few of his drives. He needs to go up with determination and not settle for a half layup/teardrop given his length and athleticism. That part of his game is missing at this point, rarely do you see him go for the swooping layups, and he has not mastered reverse layups, using the backboard for protection really well either.

You could see it last night vs the Clippers; he played with swagger all night until it got close, and he started getting a bit tentative on his drives. That last bank shot he should have taken hard to the basket and either got the layup, or force someone to foul him.

And so much for him saying that he'd cut back on his threes. He's averaging 6 per game, and last night he shot 10! Indy nearly lost the game with their three point jacking at the end there.
havoc33

Postby Finwë on Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:23 pm

Iceberg, I did read it. I'm sorta leaning towards the same conclusion you are, but I think I still need to see more.
The Pacers are 16-1, but have played only two above .500 team so far if I'm not mistaken. They are playing with great confidence, and George is definitely in a groove. Like I said though, I want to see how he plays when things don't go his and the team's way, when they drop a couple of games or when they face a team that, like wcsoldier said, really focuses it's defensive schemes and adjustments on him (like the Clips did in the 2nd half yesterday.. they managed to really slow him down).
If he can play at this level when it's playoff time and against smarter, better prepared defenses.. then yes, he'll be elite.
He's at "very good" right now, but for me to call him "elite", he needs to show that he can be the type of player that will perform at a very high level against any kind of set, in any type of context. That's not just a mental (confidence) issue, it's, like I said, a skills/fundamentals issue. I believe in his offseason work, in his improvement, but I just don't know if he's improved enough to hang with the truly elite just yet.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Frank Dux on Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:27 pm

abeer3 wrote:love his game/attitude. give me paul George over a clown like harden any day of the week.

Oh any day. George is elite on both sides of the ball. Harden lives off free throws and flopping on one side of the ball, and plays the worst defense i've ever seen on the other.

I'd take George over almost any young star like Kyrie Irving, John Wall, Blake Griffin, Harden, Westbrook, Rose. I don't want to overrate the guy, but he's having a great year, he's only 23, and you rarely see the total package that Paul George brings with his athleticism, size, lock down defense, and offensive efficiency.
Frank Dux

Postby Iceberg Slim on Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:25 pm

Paul George against Portland tonight: 43 points, 3, rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals 16-30 from the field, 7-15 from the three.

Tough loss in the Rose Garden tonight. But this jury y'all say is still out on PG, I'd like to have a conversation with. I think we all watched the Pacers force the two-time champion Heat to a game 7 on the shoulders of George, who went for 28 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists, and 3 steals in game 6. The kid played on such a level that even Bron had to show him respect after this unforgettable play in the ECF...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tI1F2LBif2Y

Only a few have called him "elite" in this thread. Neither of them were I or the author of the provided link. Defensively, there isn't a question. I can't name 3 superior on-the-ball defenders in this approx. 400 man league. Offensively, he's already dynamic enough to be considered upper-echelon - at 23. It won't be a stretch to say that he'll be top 3 in MVP voting while waltzing into another all-star game selection. With a deserved max-contract under his belt, doesn't the word "elite" sound fitting? It certainly doesn't sound out of place.

Iceberg Slim

Postby Frank Dux on Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:34 am

People have no problem saying one dimensional scorers such as Carmelo Anthony, and James Harden are "elite". But Paul George, possibly the best perimeter defender in the league can't be?

There hasn't been a player like Paul George is awhile. Most perimeter superstars have been hyped up since they're in the 7th grade, but Paul George is an unlikely late bloomer who is improving right before our eyes. You just don't see that transformation. He's proved so many doubters wrong. It seems like every 6 months or so an aspect of his game gets nit picked, and Paul George continues to prove everyone wrong. "he's not a #1 option", "he doesn't have a midrange game", "he's not a good enough scorer", "he's not a good enough ball handler", "he's not a max player". If you hang around realgm that's pretty much what's been said about him, and what's so impressive is how much he's improved on everyone of those aspects.

I don't know how long he can sustain it, but right now he's in the elite 3.
Frank Dux

Postby Iceberg Slim on Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:47 am

Elite 3? Explain that Frank...

Iceberg Slim

Postby juninho on Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:37 am

he means top3 player with durant and lebron. i agree.
juninho

Postby purp n gold on Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:47 pm

His offensive game is coming along nicely. It doesn't look like he's overexerting himself (even though he's freakishly athletic). I like how controlled he is jumping and squaring up for a jumper - he uses his wingspan & upper body to hoist up shots and his form is nice.

So this thread begs the question: Durant or George? :man9:
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby Iceberg Slim on Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:55 pm

Haha, come on purp! You already know. But in 3 years, because of his ability to defend the ball, George will become the best two-way player in the league. And 3 years might even be an overestimation. It could be 2015 when he hits that corner. He reminds of what Scottie Pippen may have looked like if Jordan never existed. True to form, they have the same demeanor as well.

Iceberg Slim

Postby lakersyunowin on Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:06 pm

paul george is the real deal. i don't know where his potential will plateau, but all i know is at the moment he's very, very good. i remember hearing/reading that he took a lot of inspiration from kobe and his workout/work ethic, kinda cool.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby denimPortugal on Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:39 pm

This guy in unbeliveable! Defense, offense, athleticism...wow!
denimPortugal

Postby purp n gold on Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:11 pm

Iceberg Slim wrote:Haha, come on purp! You already know. But in 3 years, because of his ability to defend the ball, George will become the best two-way player in the league. And 3 years might even be an overestimation. It could be 2015 when he hits that corner. He reminds of what Scottie Pippen may have looked like if Jordan never existed. True to form, they have the same demeanor as well.

Haha, I really value the the fact that he's a two way player. I think even today there is a case for Paul George over Durant... it's probably a small case, but the point is that the gap between the two players is closer than most would suggest.
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby lakerzkb8 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:28 pm

The Rock wrote:Would he make the All star team if he were out West?

The jury is still out on him IMO, Im still not convinced hes a franchise player/cornerstone/perenial all star

Not sure if serious...

The guy is a stud and an MVP canditate at 23 and you're debating as to whether or not he would be an all star in the west? I love his game, he modeled his game and idolized Kobe growing up. His game is smooth, effortless, and he has a perimeter game. Reminds me a lot of T-mac.

I'm a believer. Andrew Wiggins game is similar by the way. Those two will be the faces of the NBA in 5-6 years.
This game's in the refrigerator: the door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the Jello's jigglin'! - Chick Hearn RIP
lakerzkb8

Postby Azndude2190 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:44 pm

I would probably put him at #2 behind Lebron right now, with Durant at #3. His length and athleticism has helped make him into a really good defender and his offense is much more polished than LBJ was when he was 23.
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Next

Return to NBA Discussion