This season's sleepers

This season's sleepers

Postby JSM on Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:18 pm

what teams do you think will be this year's sleeper teams.

Sportsline think it will be Sonics and Cavs(http://sportsline.com/nba/story/6663036)

I think they are giving the Cavs too much credit, and that they won't make it to the playoffs, for at least a few more years.

My sleeper teams are-Wizards and the Rockets.
User avatar
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator
 
Posts: 93538
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:40 pm
Location: Atlanta

Postby Guest on Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:26 pm

The Cavs got Lebron, Ira Newble, Kevin Ollie, Jason Kapono.

To compliment Ricky Davis, Darius Miles, Dejuan Wagner.

They got a new design, New jersey, new experienced coach. I can see them winning 35-40 games maybe.
Guest

 

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:35 pm

my sleepers are the knicks and sonics
User avatar
FabFourLakers

 
Posts: 11715
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:47 pm
Location: Irvine, CA

Postby TheZen on Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:38 pm

I'm saying this before season starts, Jason Kapono will be a great steal from the draft. Since most of the light in the Cavaliers' team would be shone on Lebron, Kapono will have a great chance to play without risk and without pressure. Besides that, i'm a UCLA guy, and I know what this guy can do. It was just last year, Lavin held him back, but seeing him at the midsummer night's magic, i know he'll do great in the NBA.
User avatar
TheZen

 
Posts: 3126
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:15 pm
Location: 90024

Postby rydjorker121 on Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:45 pm

Nah, if you look up the definition sleeper, it means that it's a team that's really done something over the last couple of years (or this year rather) but has never really gained recognition for it. And then that year they end up skyrocketing into the standings.

If that's the case, Cleveland's out of the running because they may be a tweener between the playoffs and not (with those additions mentioned above), but they're not sleepers 'cause leBron gets all the hype. Don't forget their additions of of Kapono and Newble and Ollie and Miles, Boozer, and Davis and Ilgauskas are all intriguing prospects. They have a great team, they ain't sleepers.

But if you look at other teams, I really think that Washington and Golden State are the sleeper teams. Washington is not getting much hype and Gilbert Arenas and Jarvis Hayes will boost this team and that's enough if Kwame Brown and Etan Thomas could emerge out of their nutshells. They've got a young team and can really push the game to their limits. They've really come this far to make the playoffs, because the East is so awful nonetheless. Golden State, although many guys have criticized their offseason moves, they are sleepers because Cliff Robinson and Calbert Cheaney are not bad moves, and Nick Van Exel, along with Jason Richardson, Troy Murphy and Dampier, make up a foundation. They've also got a bench with Speedy Claxton, Mickael Pietrus and Adonal Foyle, so who's complaining here? They're a true sleeper.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff
 
Posts: 7020
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:10 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby Shaq Fan on Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:41 pm

Nuggets from da west


Chicago from the east
Image


props to hoopskillz, OTK, Eyecue and DA.....
User avatar
Shaq Fan

 
Posts: 5949
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2003 8:09 am
Location: PA

Postby FabFourLakers on Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:41 pm

actually i change my mind...

MEMPHIS IS THA BIGGEST SLEEPER BY FAR...

watch out for swift!
User avatar
FabFourLakers

 
Posts: 11715
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:47 pm
Location: Irvine, CA

Postby Roscoe on Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:46 pm

The Knicks will surprise some people this year, so will the Warriors...
Image

"Injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere." - Martin Luther King Jr.
User avatar
Roscoe
ClubLakers O.G.
 
Posts: 3146
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:22 pm
Location: LA

Postby SWOL on Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:33 pm

The Wiz

with the addition of GA, to go with Stackhouse, Kwame Brown (he'll improve without MJ in town) Larry Huges (back to his natural 2 spot) Brendan Haywood, Juan Dixon, Jared Jeffries, Tyron Lue, and Christain (pot head) Lattner......the Wiz are alot better than most people think,and even thou he meant well MJ was a cancer on that team for the better part of a season and a half, and his departure will amount to addtion by subtraction. You will see an improvment in alot of those players, namely Stackhouse and Kwame Brown, and getting one of the best PG in the league will make those players even better
Image
User avatar
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest
 
Posts: 13197
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:13 am
Location: Where Brooklyn at?

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:54 pm

Come on people...how are you guys gonna forget the Bulls. Forget Miami and Cleveland...the Bulls are gonna make the playoffs this year barring major injury(ies).

They possibly could have a BIG starting 5:

PG Scottie Pippen 6'8"
SG Jalen Rose 6'8"
SF Tyson Chandler 7'1
PF Corie Blount 6'10"
C Eddy Curry 6'11"

Now that BIG lineup will cause matchup problems like no other. The only problem I really see is a very small mobile PG giving an aging Scottie some issues. But Scottie plays great D with that wingspan of his...its his equalizer for those small quick guards.

Da Bulls....my sleeper and I guarantee they slipping into the Eastern Conference playoffs this year.
Image
User avatar
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 12947
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:38 am
Location: Anywhere Purple & Gold

Postby rydjorker121 on Sat Sep 27, 2003 6:35 pm

the BULLS are huge sleepers...they didn't have it in them last year but with veterans SCOTTIE PIPPEN and long-haired Gill they'll be teaching shaq packs to Eddy Curry and KGs to Tyson Chandler. They've got a hell of a frontcourt. Jamal Crawford is excellent too. Is Pippen to come off the bench?

WARRIORS are huge sleepers...

why do people think NYC is a sleepa? It's not like Keith Van Horn would make a drastic difference...
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff
 
Posts: 7020
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:10 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby rydjorker121 on Sat Sep 27, 2003 6:35 pm

and V, does the Bulls have enough sense not to start a guy like Corie Blount, who can't score for beans? Pippen's better off the bench cause JAmal Crawford needs growing.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff
 
Posts: 7020
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:10 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby Vasashi17 on Sat Sep 27, 2003 6:44 pm

I think Corie will start but in limited situations just cause he could be part of that intimidating lengthy starting line. Crawford is no doubt off the chains, but I feel that he will be such an explosive 6th man behind Scottie. And like I said previously...if Scottie struggles with a shorter quicker guard...enter Crawford.
Image
User avatar
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 12947
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:38 am
Location: Anywhere Purple & Gold

Postby FabFourLakers on Sat Sep 27, 2003 7:12 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:I think Corie will start but in limited situations just cause he could be part of that intimidating lengthy starting line. Crawford is no doubt off the chains, but I feel that he will be such an explosive 6th man behind Scottie. And like I said previously...if Scottie struggles with a shorter quicker guard...enter Crawford.


sorry V, but there is NO WAY IN HELL the bulls are gonna start corie blount! here is the probable starting lineup:

PG Jamal Crawford(his chance to show the bulls hes worth a contract extension
SG Jalen Rose(should be go to guy down the stretch unless crawford, chandler or curry emerge as the top scorers)
SF Scottie Pippen(will bring leadership to the team and get them ready for tha playoffs)
PF Tyson Chandler(LOOK OUT, this guy is gonna be great this year!)
C Eddy Curry(can you say Shaq #2? naw nobody can be shaq, but he definetly showed it towards tha end of tha season last year, i look for him to be an all star this year)

and not to mention a strong bench:
Marshall(solid veteran off the bench, might even start if Pip or Jamal struggle)
Fizer(has potential and could start if Pip or Crawford struggle)
Blount(brings veteran mind to tha game)
Hinrich(SOLID pick, but shoulda taken TJ when they had tha chance)
Baxter(will have break out year!)
Austin(played superb in tha summer league)
E Robinson(maybe he'll get a chance?)
IR Jay Williams(dont count him out yet, i know he'll be back!)
User avatar
FabFourLakers

 
Posts: 11715
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:47 pm
Location: Irvine, CA

Postby Vasashi17 on Sat Sep 27, 2003 7:59 pm

Dogg...thats the likely lineup...you gotta get creative playa...all the good coaches do.

The lineup you have is great...no doubt about it....and sure is the lineup they can depend on...but the line up I have displays height and that can certainly create matchup problems....

Just think about it....before Scottie went down...he was technically a point forward and they were one of the hottest teams in the NBA...then he got injured and down went the Blazers again. Scottie's numbers were hella impressive too....so if he was at point...he would cause alot of matchup problems in the east. Sure Corie now is not starting material...but neither was Madsen when he was with us. The Bulls really don't have much height on their bench and that is why i feel Blount could make the starting lineup....with Marshall, Fizer and Crawford coming off the bench. That will get it done.
Image
User avatar
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 12947
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:38 am
Location: Anywhere Purple & Gold

Postby FabFourLakers on Sat Sep 27, 2003 8:09 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:Dogg...thats the likely lineup...you gotta get creative playa...all the good coaches do.

The lineup you have is great...no doubt about it....and sure is the lineup they can depend on...but the line up I have displays height and that can certainly create matchup problems....

Just think about it....before Scottie went down...he was technically a point forward and they were one of the hottest teams in the NBA...then he got injured and down went the Blazers again. Scottie's numbers were hella impressive too....so if he was at point...he would cause alot of matchup problems in the east. Sure Corie now is not starting material...but neither was Madsen when he was with us. The Bulls really don't have much height on their bench and that is why i feel Blount could make the starting lineup....with Marshall, Fizer and Crawford coming off the bench. That will get it done.


Naw dawg the Bulls will have a big lineup even with crawford in there...i mean it goes 6'5(Crawford), 6'8(Rose), 6'8(Pip) 7'1(Ty) and 6'11(eddy)

that is still pretty intimidating, and if the bulls were to put pippen at the point, they wouldnt start Blount, hes a washed up vet, and they would prolly start either Fizer, Marshall, or possibly even Baxter, and E Robinson is a possibility too...why would u put Blount in tha starting lineup when u can put either of those guys in and still have an IMPOSING starting lineup?
User avatar
FabFourLakers

 
Posts: 11715
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:47 pm
Location: Irvine, CA

Postby Vasashi17 on Sat Sep 27, 2003 9:08 pm

So you can get some dependable scoring off the bench....every coach wants a sixth man....I know you paid attention to when the Lakers' starters were diggin a hole against San Antonio in Game 5...but our bench is what made them come back in the 4th quarter....its really not the best example....but my mentality is that your best 5 don't necessarily have to be in the starting lineup....look at Bobby Jax in Sac...he belonged in the starting lineup if you base it off talent, but instead he backed up bibby....so they don't lose a heartbeat when bibby goes to the bench. Thats what would happen once Crawford comes in for Pip...it doesn't mean that just cause Pip is a starter he will have all the minutes and Crawford will have peanuts....look at the Fox and Devean case...Fox started and played the majority of the 1 and 3 quarters....Devean came off the bench and played most of the 2 and 4th (decisive) quarters. So just cause Blount is a washed up vet. doesn't mean that he doesn't deserve to crack the starting 5....strategically it would be a good move.....I'll just say it like this....If I were Bill Cartwright, I would do it....but that necessarily doesn't mean it will happen....your lineup is good too, but the way i'm thinking....my lineup would be more effective if you take the starting 5 and the bench as a whole...remember...thats how I think.
Image
User avatar
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 12947
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:38 am
Location: Anywhere Purple & Gold

Postby FabFourLakers on Sat Sep 27, 2003 9:52 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:So you can get some dependable scoring off the bench....every coach wants a sixth man....I know you paid attention to when the Lakers' starters were diggin a hole against San Antonio in Game 5...but our bench is what made them come back in the 4th quarter....its really not the best example....but my mentality is that your best 5 don't necessarily have to be in the starting lineup....look at Bobby Jax in Sac...he belonged in the starting lineup if you base it off talent, but instead he backed up bibby....so they don't lose a heartbeat when bibby goes to the bench. Thats what would happen once Crawford comes in for Pip...it doesn't mean that just cause Pip is a starter he will have all the minutes and Crawford will have peanuts....look at the Fox and Devean case...Fox started and played the majority of the 1 and 3 quarters....Devean came off the bench and played most of the 2 and 4th (decisive) quarters. So just cause Blount is a washed up vet. doesn't mean that he doesn't deserve to crack the starting 5....strategically it would be a good move.....I'll just say it like this....If I were Bill Cartwright, I would do it....but that necessarily doesn't mean it will happen....your lineup is good too, but the way i'm thinking....my lineup would be more effective if you take the starting 5 and the bench as a whole...remember...thats how I think.


I see your point, but playa even with someone like marshall or fizer in tha lineup, u'll still have a strong bench. Think of it this way, lets say the bulls start pippen rose marshall tyson and eddy...they will have crawford, fizer, baxter, hinrich, eddie robinson, corie blount and mario austin comin off the bench! That is a strong bench...u dont wanna be too loaded off the bench either, u would like to have a good mix of guys in tha starting lineup and a good mix of guys comin off tha bench, and in reality, Crawford is gonna start this year no matter what...so either they bench pippen to put that big lineup in or i must be a fool if crawford isnt startin this year...
User avatar
FabFourLakers

 
Posts: 11715
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:47 pm
Location: Irvine, CA

Postby rydjorker121 on Sat Sep 27, 2003 10:02 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:
Vasashi17 wrote:I think Corie will start but in limited situations just cause he could be part of that intimidating lengthy starting line. Crawford is no doubt off the chains, but I feel that he will be such an explosive 6th man behind Scottie. And like I said previously...if Scottie struggles with a shorter quicker guard...enter Crawford.


sorry V, but there is NO WAY IN HELL the bulls are gonna start corie blount! here is the probable starting lineup:

PG Jamal Crawford(his chance to show the bulls hes worth a contract extension
SG Jalen Rose(should be go to guy down the stretch unless crawford, chandler or curry emerge as the top scorers)
SF Scottie Pippen(will bring leadership to the team and get them ready for tha playoffs)
PF Tyson Chandler(LOOK OUT, this guy is gonna be great this year!)
C Eddy Curry(can you say Shaq #2? naw nobody can be shaq, but he definetly showed it towards tha end of tha season last year, i look for him to be an all star this year)

and not to mention a strong bench:
Marshall(solid veteran off the bench, might even start if Pip or Jamal struggle)
Fizer(has potential and could start if Pip or Crawford struggle)
Blount(brings veteran mind to tha game)
Hinrich(SOLID pick, but shoulda taken TJ when they had tha chance)
Baxter(will have break out year!)
Austin(played superb in tha summer league)
E Robinson(maybe he'll get a chance?)
IR Jay Williams(dont count him out yet, i know he'll be back!)


DAMM....that lineup looks POWERFUL! If Jay Williams is healthy, man are they gonna have him and Donyell Marshall off the bench which is just totally off the hook! Bulls are making the playoffs for sure. Look Hinrich, Williams and Marshall off the bench (Jay can't make the starting five 'cause he's injured and something tells me that Crawford's gonna blossom--if only Jay could hit those rotten free throws would he make the starting rotation)...and Marcus Fizer's a scoring machine, and there's talented Eddie Robinson. Don't forget Kendall Gill...man, they are just so underrated and SO DEEP. They look ultimate on paper and with the chemistry intact with the shadow of mere vets like Scottie and Corie and Jalen and Kendall, they're set to train their youn'guns. Now theire only problem is their coach, Bill Cartwright. Is he the man for the job--doesn't seem like it. The GM should get Isiah Thomas over Cartwright. Otherwise, teh Bulls look dominant and no doubt should they be a huge sleeper. They may have a sixth man in Donyell Marshall, and a good team regardless if J-Will and Fizer are injured--Baxter and Hinrich can step it up. That's talent right there. They would even do something if they were in the WEST, even.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff
 
Posts: 7020
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:10 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby Vasashi17 on Sat Sep 27, 2003 10:09 pm

Well at least we pretty much agree that the Bulls are the favored sleeper this season....There's no doubt that Crawford can start, but I would run the point through Pippen even if he is placed at SF. So thinking that way, Crawford on the court at the same time would be a waste of ballhandling talent....I would bring him in as my sixth man, when Scottie gets winded...and that will be quite often due to his age. Once again...I just see the lineup you gave as the obvious starting 5 for this coming season...but I would like to see my lineup strictly to see if it causes mismatches and I have always been one for the creative lineups just to see how they do.
Image
User avatar
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 12947
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:38 am
Location: Anywhere Purple & Gold

Postby FabFourLakers on Sat Sep 27, 2003 10:38 pm

rydjorker u jus reminded me the bulls have KENDALL GILL! I totally forgot about him! that jus makes them deeper at 2 positions(sg/sf)

well V, me and you AGREE the bulls are big time sleepers, and they are poised for a great year, even if they dont make the playoffs, they really have no expectations from anyone...and usually those teams come out and surprise everybody...much like what tha warriors did last year...

The Bulls future lies in these 3 guys IN MY OPINION: Crawford, Chandler, and Curry, you might as well call them C cubed! or Triple C...or ballers times 3, or i dunno?! haha we gotta think of a name for that trio
User avatar
FabFourLakers

 
Posts: 11715
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:47 pm
Location: Irvine, CA

Postby BoogieKnight on Sun Sep 28, 2003 11:26 pm

This season's sleeper has to be the Jazz.

Anytime you watch them, you're gonna fall asleep cause they're gonna suck so bad. :man11:
Image

"You know what we are in Sacramento when it comes to Los Angeles? Whiners.
We excel at "The Crying Game."
And once again, our motto remains: We played, we lost, we b*tched about it."

By Marcos Bretón - Bee Columnist
User avatar
BoogieKnight

 
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:02 pm

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Sep 29, 2003 6:02 pm

BoogieKnight wrote:This season's sleeper has to be the Jazz.

Anytime you watch them, you're gonna fall asleep cause they're gonna suck so bad. :man11:


wow like we didnt see THAT one coming..haha good one boogie!!!
User avatar
FabFourLakers

 
Posts: 11715
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:47 pm
Location: Irvine, CA

Postby smilez on Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:29 pm

MY SLEEPER IN THE WEST WOULD PROBALY BE PHOENIX or the Sonics. In the East i would go for the Magic or Miami
User avatar
smilez

 
Posts: 842
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:45 pm
Location: SUNNY CALI


Return to NBA Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], therealdeal and 5 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.