Too Obsessed with Title Chasing?

Too Obsessed with Title Chasing?

Postby Mr. Fundamentals on Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:13 pm

Difference between Kobe and others ...

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/230485/Durant-Believes-He-Was-Too-Obsessed-With-Title-Chase-Last-Season
Mr. Fundamentals

Re: Too Obsessed with Title Chasing?

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:21 pm

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/230485/Durant-Believes-He-Was-Too-Obsessed-With-Title-Chase-Last-Season

Durant Believes He Was Too Obsessed With Title Chase Last Season
Oct 29, 2013 1:28 PM EDT

Kevin Durant believes he was too obsessed with winning an NBA championship last season and that he often took it out on others.

"Last year, I was obsessed with it," Durant told The Oklahoman of winning a title. "Like, I wasn't going to sleep because I wanted to win so bad. I was screaming at my teammates, at the refs, at the coaches. I got mad because I thought 'if we have a bad game here, we're not going to win a championship.'"

Durant was called for 12 technical fouls last season as the obsession manifested in that way as well.

"So I'm not going to let that overtake my mind," Durant said. "I mean, of course I want to win it, but I'm not obsessed with it. I'm going to put in the work to help my team, but I'm not going to be obsessed with it because that's when I compromise myself, and most of the time it doesn't work out."
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby BDG on Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:36 pm

Haha I think the reason it didn't work was more likely because Westbrook blew out his knee...
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:15 pm

No now he's going to relax and not play for a title?
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:20 pm

I think that he's probably sick of having to shoulder the load. I'm betting he's still pissed at the Harden trade.

See you in 2016, Kev!
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Showtime.Revival.05 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:46 pm

i dont see why this is a problem, he should be obsessed with winning
Showtime.Revival.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:51 am

Showtime.Revival.05 wrote:i dont see why this is a problem, he should be obsessed with winning

Because he's saying he's not going to be this season.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:38 pm

I think the more sensible way to put it is "too focused on outcomes instead of process". the westbrook injury probably taught him that he can't control everything; the best he can do is work his hardest and hope for the best.
abeer3

Postby therealdeal on Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:48 am

abeer3 wrote:I think the more sensible way to put it is "too focused on outcomes instead of process". the westbrook injury probably taught him that he can't control everything; the best he can do is work his hardest and hope for the best.

It also taught him that for all of OKC's great drafting, they're not willing to shell the money out needed to win. If they'd kept Harden, Durant wouldn't have this type of pressure on him all the time. I wouldn't have thought this a couple years ago but... This dynasty could end before it ever began. I wouldn't be surprised if Durant and/or Westbrook leaves for greener pastures when the time comes.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:01 am

i think westbrook leaves; i'm not so sure about durant. he seems loyal to a fault. westbrook has to get super tired of getting none of the credit and all of the blame there.
abeer3

Postby therealdeal on Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:29 am

They're both signed on until after the 2016 season (Westbrook has one more year after that).

If in that time, the Thunder fail to win a title or even get back to the Finals I think there's a good chance Durant leaves. Especially since right around that time, the Lakers should be having an opening on their roster when Kobe retires. There'll be other teams looking great at that time too. Maybe Houston, Maybe go to Miami with LeBron? I don't know. Same with Westbrook. Like you said, he's a great player in his own right. He deserves as much credit as anyone on that team but he's universally hated. Maybe it's because he's playing with one of the best players in the game, but has the nerve to not give him the ball on every possession. Whatever it is, he's going to get sick of it if they're not successful.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby GinoDB on Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:01 pm

I actually noticed this with the entire OKC team last season, obsessed is the wrong word tho. They were anxious , looking too far ahead right from the first tip off. They were thinking of the playoffs and finals the whole time and I think it drained them mentally and physically
GinoDB

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:10 am

I'm saying for quite a time KD is gone if he hasn't won a title when his contract is up ... 3 shots left.

Domino effect with Westbrook the season after if KD leaves

OKC has roster related issues but they really should get another coach too . Brooks is clueless out there
wcsoldier81

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:15 am

abeer3 wrote:i think westbrook leaves; i'm not so sure about durant. he seems loyal to a fault. westbrook has to get super tired of getting none of the credit and all of the blame there.

This is a medias driven narrative though ... Anybody who watch a decent amount of OKC games knew KD wasn't going to be better without Westbrook while the medias were about this " Westbrook is slowing KD down" BS.

We all saw what happened in the playoffs ...
wcsoldier81

Postby gcclaker on Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:58 am

All the GREAT ones played with an edge... Bryant, Jordan, Bird to name a few. Durant "tried" but it just isn't his nature. Barkley on the TNT show spoke of how the best players on the court are ***holes and I would agree with him.
Nor can the Lakers get blamed for always making the right decisions over decades. At some point its not just luck or "gamble", its superior management and superior ownership.
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Sirron on Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:41 pm

Losing Harden hurt, but they couldn't afford all of the huge payouts with Durant, Westbrook, Perkins, Ibaka, and then Harden. Harden got the short end of the stick, but I think we are seeing why they made that choice. Maybe they saw the lack of defense, and had to choose Ibaka's upside as a big man over Mr Beard.
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Postby therealdeal on Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:54 am

Sirron wrote:Losing Harden hurt, but they couldn't afford all of the huge payouts with Durant, Westbrook, Perkins, Ibaka, and then Harden. Harden got the short end of the stick, but I think we are seeing why they made that choice. Maybe they saw the lack of defense, and had to choose Ibaka's upside as a big man over Mr Beard.

From a pure talent perspective Harden blows away Ibaka...

But the real choice was between PERKINS and Harden... if they amnesty Perkins they would have a good shot at keeping Harden. They didn't. It really will go down as one of the biggest mistakes in the NBA.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:22 pm

wcsoldier81 wrote:
abeer3 wrote:i think westbrook leaves; i'm not so sure about durant. he seems loyal to a fault. westbrook has to get super tired of getting none of the credit and all of the blame there.

This is a medias driven narrative though ... Anybody who watch a decent amount of OKC games knew KD wasn't going to be better without Westbrook while the medias were about this " Westbrook is slowing KD down" BS.

We all saw what happened in the playoffs ...

I obviously don't think KD's game would be better if you just took Westbrook away from the lineup and leave OKC with just Reggie Jackson at PG... BUT, if instead of Westbrook KD had a different sidekick, someone who was aslo considered an elite player like Westbrook, but was more into playmaking and didn't shoot so much or ignore him for stretches.. yeah, his game would be better off.
With Durant's body and range, he should be getting easier buckets, a much higher % of assisted FGs IMO.. Part of it is Brooks' terrible offensive structure, but Westbrook is definitely underachieving in the playmaking category. and routinely consumes more possessions than Durant even though Durant is the better player and way more efficient.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:12 am

^^^^ I agree .... someone who is still agressive and can put points on the board ( as OKC needs Westbrook scoring) ... I'd say a Tony Parker more than a Rajon Rondo .
wcsoldier81

Postby Finwë on Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:02 am

^ definitely Parker would be great for OKC. I said Rondo because I was looking for someone that was around Westbrook's age, and someone that could actually leave his team (I don't think Parker will ever leave SAS).
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Iceberg Slim on Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:00 pm

abeer3 wrote:I think the more sensible way to put it is "too focused on outcomes instead of process". the westbrook injury probably taught him that he can't control everything; the best he can do is work his hardest and hope for the best.

QFT...
www.thesportslyceum.com - personal blog

Iceberg Slim

Return to NBA Discussion