USA has clinched Olympic berth, after beating Puerto Rico

USA has clinched Olympic berth, after beating Puerto Rico

Postby JSM on Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:51 am

The USA is now guaranteed a spot in the Olympic in Athens. They defeated Puert Rico 87-71. Iverson didn't play because of an injured thumb, he will also miss the final game today, which is against Argentina. Allen who led the team with 15 points, started in Iverson's place. This seemed to be a very physical game, with a near fight between T-Mac and Casiano.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: USA has clinched Olympic berth, after beating Puerto Ric

Postby FabFourLakers on Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:33 pm

jsm0331 wrote:The USA is now guaranteed a spot in the Olympic in Athens. They defeated Puert Rico 87-71. Iverson didn't play because of an injured thumb, he will also miss the final game today, which is against Argentina. Allen who led the team with 15 points, started in Iverson's place. This seemed to be a very physical game, with a near fight between T-Mac and Casiano.

yea mcgrady stole the ball from the guy and then when he was right in front of tha basket, he held the ball out to the player running after him and then he jus dunked it and the crowd started to boo. T Mac claimed that he thot he heard a whistle but we ALL KNOW he was taunting the poor guy!!! haha it was quite funny when he almost got in a fight!! iw anted to see that!

Yea im surprised they started ray allen(who did really good) and not vince carter(who shoulda started but still got 10 points). But i dont want them to lose to argentina...they dont have allen iverson...will that be a factor? i dont think so, they have VC and Allen to fill his spot...and hopefully everyone will step up their games! I want them to make an imposing statement tonight...beat argentina by double digits! meaning by like 20 points or more!
FabFourLakers

Postby Vasashi17 on Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:37 pm

Yeah, for all those that didn't see it....this is what happened. T-Mac was guarding Casiano pretty roughly. He took alot of swipes at the ball and bumped him from going to the hole. If I were the ref, I really would have called a foul, but that's besides the point. There was a ref right there seeing all of this and still no call. Well the play went like this....T-Mac literally pulled Casiano down by the shoulders with one arm, which made the ball go free and roll towards the US basket. T-Mac casually jogged to the rolling ball and picked it up in the paint of the US basket. He looked back at the rest of the players that were still behind half court....Casiano in particular...and after what seemed to be like 5 seconds, turned around and dunked the ball. He then strolled down back to the opposite end of the court where he met up with a pissed off Casiano and they then chest bumped each other. The rest of the team pulled them off each other, but in all the melee, a fan threw a cup of beer onto the court trying to hit a US player, but it ended up hitting a Puerto Rican player in the head. While the beer ran down the face of this player, you can see Richard Jefferson with a clear smirk on his face turning around to go back into the locker rooms at half time. K-mart had his arm around T-Mac as they walked back into the tunnels and you can pretty much tell that team USA was very much amused by what had just happened. Nothing happened when both teams met after halftime.

T-Mac in his defense, later said that he was not trying to taunt Casiano when he turned back to look at him. He thought he heard a whistle and that is why he stopped to look back. When he realized there wasn't a whistle, he turned towards the basket and dunked. Guys, I saw what happened and it was clearly a foul by T-Mac. But there was no call, it was pretty G of Tracy to let the ball roll to his basket and then turn around and pretty much taunt the Puerto Ricans before dunking it home. It made the US look like thugs, but it still was pretty satisfying to watch. It really makes you appreciate the original Dream Team that much more, cause they had a certain class and professionalism to themselves while they demolished a team.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby FabFourLakers on Sun Aug 31, 2003 1:13 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:Yeah, for all those that didn't see it....this is what happened. T-Mac was guarding Casiano pretty roughly. He took alot of swipes at the ball and bumped him from going to the hole. If I were the ref, I really would have called a foul, but that's besides the point. There was a ref right there seeing all of this and still no call. Well the play went like this....T-Mac literally pulled Casiano down by the shoulders with one arm, which made the ball go free and roll towards the US basket. T-Mac casually jogged to the rolling ball and picked it up in the paint of the US basket. He looked back at the rest of the players that were still behind half court....Casiano in particular...and after what seemed to be like 5 seconds, turned around and dunked the ball. He then strolled down back to the opposite end of the court where he met up with a pissed off Casiano and they then chest bumped each other. The rest of the team pulled them off each other, but in all the melee, a fan threw a cup of beer onto the court trying to hit a US player, but it ended up hitting a Puerto Rican player in the head. While the beer ran down the face of this player, you can see Richard Jefferson with a clear smirk on his face turning around to go back into the locker rooms at half time. K-mart had his arm around T-Mac as they walked back into the tunnels and you can pretty much tell that team USA was very much amused by what had just happened. Nothing happened when both teams met after halftime.

T-Mac in his defense, later said that he was not trying to taunt Casiano when he turned back to look at him. He thought he heard a whistle and that is why he stopped to look back. When he realized there wasn't a whistle, he turned towards the basket and dunked. Guys, I saw what happened and it was clearly a foul by T-Mac. But there was no call, it was pretty G of Tracy to let the ball roll to his basket and then turn around and pretty much taunt the Puerto Ricans before dunking it home. It made the US look like thugs, but it still was pretty satisfying to watch. It really makes you appreciate the original Dream Team that much more, cause they had a certain class and professionalism to themselves while they demolished a team.

oh yea i saw the beer part!!! i forgot to add that! yea thats quite funny that jeffferson had a smirk on his face!

I belive Mcgrady thot there was a whistle...thas why he slowly raced to the ball and waited to see if there was a whistle and once he knew there wasnt he jus put tha ball in the basket!!! haha but it sure SEEMED as if he WAS taunting them!

I cant wait til we have an actual dream team tho...Shaq, Duncan, KG, Kobe, Kidd, Iverson, Mcgrady, and maybe Carter and J O'neal...and NO [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] BIBBY!!! cuz he doestn BELONG on the dream team!
FabFourLakers

Postby rydjorker121 on Sun Aug 31, 2003 1:38 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:
Vasashi17 wrote:Yeah, for all those that didn't see it....this is what happened. T-Mac was guarding Casiano pretty roughly. He took alot of swipes at the ball and bumped him from going to the hole. If I were the ref, I really would have called a foul, but that's besides the point. There was a ref right there seeing all of this and still no call. Well the play went like this....T-Mac literally pulled Casiano down by the shoulders with one arm, which made the ball go free and roll towards the US basket. T-Mac casually jogged to the rolling ball and picked it up in the paint of the US basket. He looked back at the rest of the players that were still behind half court....Casiano in particular...and after what seemed to be like 5 seconds, turned around and dunked the ball. He then strolled down back to the opposite end of the court where he met up with a pissed off Casiano and they then chest bumped each other. The rest of the team pulled them off each other, but in all the melee, a fan threw a cup of beer onto the court trying to hit a US player, but it ended up hitting a Puerto Rican player in the head. While the beer ran down the face of this player, you can see Richard Jefferson with a clear smirk on his face turning around to go back into the locker rooms at half time. K-mart had his arm around T-Mac as they walked back into the tunnels and you can pretty much tell that team USA was very much amused by what had just happened. Nothing happened when both teams met after halftime.

oh yea i saw the beer part!!! i forgot to add that! yea thats quite funny that jeffferson had a smirk on his face!

I belive Mcgrady thot there was a whistle...thas why he slowly raced to the ball and waited to see if there was a whistle and once he knew there wasnt he jus put tha ball in the basket!!! haha but it sure SEEMED as if he WAS taunting them!

I cant wait til we have an actual dream team tho...Shaq, Duncan, KG, Kobe, Kidd, Iverson, Mcgrady, and maybe Carter and J O'neal...and NO [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] BIBBY!!! cuz he doestn BELONG on the dream team!

Haha the beer..those fans have no aim at all...

but seriously I saw the fight and it looks like the US try and seem to be superior to the Puertos...I don't how Casiano got pissed off, their team was gonna lose anyways to the ever-superior US and it was just because of a violent McGrady. It was just a steal after all. Dude, no need to get frustrated punching and throwing beers and throwing smirks and laughing at others and all. :man9:
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Re: USA has clinched Olympic berth, after beating Puerto Ric

Postby Vasashi17 on Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:12 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:
jsm0331 wrote:The USA is now guaranteed a spot in the Olympic in Athens. They defeated Puert Rico 87-71. Iverson didn't play because of an injured thumb, he will also miss the final game today, which is against Argentina. Allen who led the team with 15 points, started in Iverson's place. This seemed to be a very physical game, with a near fight between T-Mac and Casiano.

yea mcgrady stole the ball from the guy and then when he was right in front of tha basket, he held the ball out to the player running after him and then he jus dunked it and the crowd started to boo. T Mac claimed that he thot he heard a whistle but we ALL KNOW he was taunting the poor guy!!! haha it was quite funny when he almost got in a fight!! iw anted to see that!

Yea im surprised they started ray allen(who did really good) and not vince carter(who shoulda started but still got 10 points). But i dont want them to lose to argentina...they dont have allen iverson...will that be a factor? i dont think so, they have VC and Allen to fill his spot...and hopefully everyone will step up their games! I want them to make an imposing statement tonight...beat argentina by double digits! meaning by like 20 points or more!

My bad Fab4...I didn't know you posted a summary of what happened too. We must have posted it at the same time. Oh well, the whole thing was just funny and to add something interesting.....right after they bumped chests....the very first person to break them up and get in between them was T-Mac's cousin....VC! If you guys can remember back to the Olympic team in Sydney...it was VC that got into an uncharacteristic fight....and now he was the first one to try and diffuse it. Great maturity and growth on the part of Vince Carter. He's been a great sub for Kobe so far. Next year, I will be happy that Bibby won't be there anymore...what a waste of space....I hope either K-Mart or Vince is added to that team.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby shaqpak34 on Sun Aug 31, 2003 4:15 pm

i want VC on the team, i feell kinda sorry for him, all those injuries and [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.], and just cus of that everyone talks about him being overrated. he put up some pretty big numbers when he was healthy, heres his career stat sheet:

REBOUNDS PER GAME
YEAR TEAM G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG

98-99 TOR 50 49 35.2 .450 .288 .761 1.90 3.80 5.70 3.0 1.10 1.54 2.20 2.80 18.3

99-00 TOR 82 82 38.1 .465 .403 .791 1.80 4.00 5.80 3.9 1.34 1.12 2.17 3.20 25.7

00-01 TOR 75 75 39.7 .460 .408 .765 2.30 3.20 5.50 3.9 1.52 1.09 2.23 2.70 27.6

01-02 TOR 60 60 39.8 .428 .387 .798 2.30 2.90 5.20 4.0 1.57 .72 2.57 3.20 24.7

02-03 TOR 43 42 34.2 .467 .344 .806 1.40 3.00 4.40 3.3 1.12 .95 1.72 2.80 20.6

Career 310 308 37.8 .454 .387 .782 2.00 3.40 5.40 3.7 1.36 1.08 2.20 3.00 24.1

i think those are good numbers, anyway FAR better than bibby's will ever be.
shaqpak34

Postby Jamaal Magloire the Laker on Sun Aug 31, 2003 6:26 pm

Is it just me, but it seems like Vince's jumpshot has been skyrocketing as of late...he's not a man of dunks anymore :man10:
Jamaal Magloire the Laker

Postby Kobe's Therapist on Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:01 am

It's interesting that most of you don't remember that Barkley played the "thug" on the original Dream Team ... and rightly so ...

I'm not a huge Barkley fan ... but sometimes you need that guy who'll step up and show the other team that the US still DOMINATES this game.

It's way past time for us to do so in international competition ... we need to get Rodman to play for us next summer and teach these internation players a thing or two about how it's really done. lol
Kobe's Therapist

Postby rydjorker121 on Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:30 am

hey KTR...is that why you signed up as guest? Were you really banned man?
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:50 pm

i guess he was banned but hes back from the dead!

i wish we could do that at kingsfans.com!!!

i'd be like "guess what [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] im baaaaaaaack!!!"

haha not really but u kno what i mean!

As for team USA needing that one dirty player, i think USA has made an IMPOSING (ive used that word alot lately) statement to the rest of the world that they are BACK!!! And they didnt even have 3 of the top 5 players in the NBA (Shaq, Kobe, KG) on the team and they STILL won!

by the way i think the top 5 has to be shaq, kobe, kg, duncan, and t-mac is tied with iverson
FabFourLakers

Postby BDG on Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:47 am

FabFourLakers wrote:i guess he was banned but hes back from the dead!

i wish we could do that at kingsfans.com!!!

i'd be like "guess what [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] im baaaaaaaack!!!"

haha not really but u kno what i mean!

haha damn, sounds like you wanna go gangsta on they [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.]!
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Return to NBA Discussion