Dallas Trades: Raef LaFrentz
Danny Fortson
Dallas Recieves: Theo Ratliff
Chris Crawford

Atlanta Trades: Theo Ratliff
Chris Crawford
Atlanta Recieves: Raef LaFrentz
Danny Fortson

Does this work financially? If it does I think its a good move for both teams. Atlanta gets a promising young center and a rugged power forward. And Dallas gets the center they've been looking for in Theo Ratliff. Chris Crawford is a throw in to make sure the salaries work out...

"Injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere." - Martin Luther King Jr.
Roscoe
ClubLakers O.G.

Postby 4Rings on Sat Aug 16, 2003 1:55 pm

Theo Ratliff is a good center but he is also injury prone and while his talents could strike fear in the East, it won't do so in the West with a slimmed down Shaquille and Karl Malone on one team, you have Duncan and Nesterovic on the Spurs, you have Garnett and Olowokandi on another and then you have Webber, Divac, and Miller on the Sactown. I would imagine guarding folks in the East would seem easier. Yes, Jamison is great at that small forward position but can he be the big time player that Nick the Quick is? Nick is not afraid to take the big shot, can Jamsion handle that? I don't think this trade strikes fear into the Lakers, Spurs, or Kings.

Apparently everybody is just doing what the Lakers did.
If we are all thinking alike, then nobody is thinking!
4Rings

Postby Roscoe on Sat Aug 16, 2003 1:58 pm

But a guy like Theo would do pretty well in Dallas, all they need is Defense to be real contenders and Theo brings that. He's a shotblocking presence that can grab rebounds. He could do a far better job then LaFrentz or Bradley...

"Injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere." - Martin Luther King Jr.
Roscoe
ClubLakers O.G.

Postby JSM on Sat Aug 16, 2003 3:42 pm

I think Dallas will try and get a center with some defensive capabilities. They have shown interest in Theo and Kurt Thomas, so I don't think they are done yet. They will sure be an exciting team to watch next year...but nowhere near as exciting as we will be
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby zetaw00d on Sat Aug 16, 2003 4:59 pm

PG - Nash
SG - Finley
SF - Jamison
PF - Dirk
C - LaFrentz

Hahah,... they might have the same problems that portland had.... Too many stars and not enough balls to go around!!! They are all scorers and no D!!!! Jamsion can drop 50 but some one else will drop 50 on him!!! Still it will be fun to watch dallas!!
zetaw00d

Postby echo nation on Sun Aug 17, 2003 2:34 am

anyone else remember Jamison hating playing the 3?
Just A Saturday Away
echo nation

Postby SWOL on Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:04 pm

still soft...sill no D... still no ring

bummer
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Aug 18, 2003 1:55 pm

Dude are you all serious or jus stupid?

GS GOT SCREWED ON THIS TRADE! They are trading Jamison Fortson and Welsch AND Mills for Nick Van Exel! The other 3 players from dallas are eschmyer, a johnson(thot he'd become an assistant coach?), and the ugliest player in the NBA!(P Jones!)

WHY would GS trade their best player for an 11 year veteran who might retire in 3 or 4 years? Ok so here is what GS's startin lineup MIGHT look like:

Dampier/Foyle
Murphy
Dunleavy
J-Rich
Van Exel

Ok so they are givin Dunleavy a chance but dont tell me they are makin this trade JUST for dunleavy? I think Jamison had all the potential to lead this team to the playoffs this year, cuz now that we know the JAZZ arent makin it this year, we know that #8 spot is open, and i thot it would be either Houston or Golden State that would capture that spot, unless the clippers suddenly make a run.

And dallas gets EVERYTHING they want in this trade. Fortson may be undersized, but he can REBOUND like no other...and he actually guards shaq pretty good FOR HIS SIZE. He reminds me of malik rose except slower, and more power. I remember when the lakers played GS in golden state, he played against shaq and held his ground pretty good! But of course nobody can gaurd shaq. And if Jamison can drop 50 on the LAKERS, u know hes got it in him. And they also get Jiri Welsch, who could be that back up point guard position even tho he plays the SG, but ive heard hes a great shooter ane he will fit in wiell with the Mavs system.

Oh and TRUST ME i can see Dirk and Antawn as the Mavs future, and sooner or later Jamison will become the #2 option on the team, cuz there is no way they can have Nash as the higher option than Jamison.

I cant believe GS is makin this trade, and YES it seems like the NBA is teaming up on the lakers! WTF is this?! First it was Minnesota trading for Cassell, then signing Olowokandi OUT OF NOWHERE, and then trading for sprewell.

Then it was SA nabbing Rasho, tradin ferry for Mercer and Turkoglu, and then ROBBING Robert Horry from us.

And THEN it was Sacramento THINKIN they are matching the lakers by getting Brad Miller and trading 3 quality players and a couple of picks. And oh yea they also lost Jim Jackson.

NOW it is DALLAS who has been screwed over the summer by many players including Alonzo, but they HAD to sacrifice one of their players, and everyone knew Van Exel would end up bein traded to get somethin good in return, and boy did they get sumthin good. They get a YOUNG and TALENTED player in Jamsion who CAN hit the big shot, and who CAN be that #1 option or #2 option, and he can get a good 20ppg and 7rpg. The mavs are the true winners of this trade, mad props to Cuban and Nelson, AND SHAME ON GS FOR AGREEING TO ATTACK THA LAKERS!

THEY ARE ALL AFTER US! ITS THE LAKERS VS THE NBA!!!!!
FabFourLakers

Postby LaKeRsDyNaStY on Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:30 pm

its official...
Mon., Aug. 18 Dallas acquires Danny Fortson, Antawn Jamison, Chris Mills and Jiri Welsch from Golden State for Evan Eschmeyer, Nick Van Exel, Avery Johnson, Popeye Jones and Antoine Rigaudeau.

ooo. nick might go back to his old number 9 possibly.. cuz foyle already has 31 on the warriors
LaKeRsDyNaStY

Postby SWOL on Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:04 pm

yes...jamison is good...but they are still the ALLAS Mavericks thats right the Allas mavericks....NO D

and NO Forston does not reb like no other

Danny Fortson
2002-03
Statistics
PPG 3.5
RPG 4.30
APG .7
EFF + 5.53
SWOL

Postby LaKeRsDyNaStY on Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:11 pm

regarding that long post preaching about jamison, too bad he aint gonna be the #1 option huh, hes gonna be 2nd at most behind nowitzki, along with finley and nash as well. he wont do that well
LaKeRsDyNaStY

Postby SWOL on Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:31 pm

and Danny Fortson is a PUNK and will be outta the league in 2 years
SWOL

Postby BDG on Mon Aug 18, 2003 7:24 pm

Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Aug 18, 2003 7:25 pm

swolswol wrote:yes...jamison is good...but they are still the ALLAS Mavericks thats right the Allas mavericks....NO D

and NO Forston does not reb like no other

Danny Fortson
2002-03
Statistics
PPG 3.5
RPG 4.30
APG .7
EFF + 5.53

umm he was injured all of last year

he avg like 11 rpg in 2001=02
FabFourLakers

Postby BoogieKnight on Mon Aug 18, 2003 11:09 pm

The reason why the Warriors made this trade was simple. Why did they trade all the youngins with some potential for a bunch of over the hill old farts? Cause Donald Sterling's brother is the owner of the Warriors. Yes, it has to do with the mighty dollar.

They wanted to dump the salaries of Fortson and Jamison. The Warriors have been trying to trade Fortson the past couple of years because of his bad attitude and since they have a surplus of PFs. The Warriors wanted to get rid of Jamison because like Eddie Jones, he's a good role player with a max contract.
Injury ridden Chris Mills is a role player who has hardly played for the past couple of seasons and his contract of 6 mill for the upcoming season doesn't bold well for the Warriors.
As for Welsch, the Warriors probably added him in the trade to sweeten the deal so the Mavs would eat up Fortson and Jamisons' contracts.

I believe all the players salary the Warriors acquired from Dallas will expire after next season except Van Exel. After two years, when Van Exel contract expires, the Warriors will be about 20 million under the salary cap.
BoogieKnight

Postby FabFourLakers on Tue Aug 19, 2003 12:56 am

BoogieKnight wrote:The reason why the Warriors made this trade was simple. Why did they trade all the youngins with some potential for a bunch of over the hill old farts? Cause Donald Sterling's brother is the owner of the Warriors. Yes, it has to do with the mighty dollar.

They wanted to dump the salaries of Fortson and Jamison. The Warriors have been trying to trade Fortson the past couple of years because of his bad attitude and since they have a surplus of PFs. The Warriors wanted to get rid of Jamison because like Eddie Jones, he's a good role player with a max contract.
Injury ridden Chris Mills is a role player who has hardly played for the past couple of seasons and his contract of 6 mill for the upcoming season doesn't bold well for the Warriors.
As for Welsch, the Warriors probably added him in the trade to sweeten the deal so the Mavs would eat up Fortson and Jamisons' contracts.

I believe all the players salary the Warriors acquired from Dallas will expire after next season except Van Exel. After two years, when Van Exel contract expires, the Warriors will be about 20 million under the salary cap.

yea i guess ur right....

but for NOW, Dallas got all of the good bait in this trade...

Yes now i see WHY the warriors made this trade, but did they hafta trade Jamison? they shoulda thot about it when they made him the 6 year 80 million dollar contract. But seriously they better hope they do good this year and next year to attract big name free agents when they are under that salary cap.

The Mavs have definetly IMPROVED their roster. Although they didnt get the big man they were lookin for, they got a solid SF that can score 20ppg and grab about 6-8rpg. Ok so they got some washed up players in Mills and Fortson, but i dunno if the Mavs will keep Mills, they might waive his contract. Fortson wont make an impact but he does bring the rebounding they needed.

I look for the mavs to be in the top 4 once again this season.
FabFourLakers

Previous

Return to NBA Discussion