Vlade to move back to LA after retirement--MUST READ

Vlade to move back to LA after retirement--MUST READ

Postby rydjorker121 on Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:09 pm

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sport...p-9268940c.html

At the center of a love-hate flip-flop
Vlade Divac says L.A. still enthralls him, but its fans aren't returning such sentiment

By Scott Howard-Cooper -- Bee Staff Writer

LOS ANGELES - Vlade Divac is forever in hostile waters, stuck in the middle of a state's basketball family fight and trying to remain loyal to two loves.
He lives in Sacramento, a city that considers Los Angeles evil incarnate.

And he loves Los Angeles, a city that regards playing for the Kings, especially the way Divac does, as cause for mockery.

"I'm in between," he says. "I've got to move to Fresno."

Even when playing the Clippers, there is no refuge. This is Los Angeles, after all, and Divac plays for the Kings. Of course he is booed.

Beloved after nearly six seasons in Sacramento, and rarely appreciated more than during the current run without Brad Miller and Chris Webber, Divac is the No. 1 target of venom anytime the Kings enter Staples Center, as they will tonight for the first road game this season against the Lakers.
Loyal to his Los Angeles roots to the end, Divac makes his current home in the city that hates L.A. more than any other.

The irony is as thick as the contradiction. The Lakers and Kings wouldn't be so good without Divac's role, after all, even if in L.A.'s case that meant being the guy who was shipped out of town, kicking and screaming, in the summer of 1996. That trade sent Divac to Charlotte for 17-year-old Kobe Bryant and cleared a large portion of salary-cap space to sign free agent Shaquille O'Neal.

Divac, deeply wounded, threatened to retire and nearly had the Hornets deal scuttled. But the Lakers wanted to carve out money for O'Neal, so Divac was on an outbound flight somewhere no matter what, even if it was for almost nothing to some team that would be willing to risk him reporting.

In the end, he accepted the deal to Charlotte, Bryant became a Laker, O'Neal became a Laker, and Divac for a while actually relished his role as sacrificial lamb, glad to help the organization any way he could.

Not to be overlooked was that he also had been a player in Los Angeles. He made the All-Rookie team after arriving from his native Yugoslavia in 1989 in what then was a near-historical jump that predated the current international flood into the NBA. He also had a big role on the Lakers team that reached the 1991 Finals.

The two years in Charlotte were all that separated the battle of North and South. He signed with the Kings as a free agent from there, for the lockout-shortened 1998-99 season, and has been a constant ever since, reaching the All-Star Game in 2001 and remaining an elite passer and integral piece of the league's best offense. And he would have continued as a Los Angeles favorite - lovable Vlade, as nice a guy as you could hope to meet - if not for what came next.

The Kings became good.

Little brother grew up, and what had previously been a one-sided series grew combative. Emotions punched through the roof. O'Neal turned Divac's flopping into an issue, Divac ripped back after the Lakers claimed the historic 2002 Western Conference finals that the best team doesn't always win, and it was on.

"I remember against the Lakers with Charlotte, that was a standing ovation at the Forum," Divac said. "The first couple years with Sacramento, too. But when we started building that rivalry, it turned against me."

In a big way. If the Kings were perceived as whiners, and Divac was seen as carrying the flag. The booing became routine - so routine it would also come against the Clippers.

It hurt Divac at first, because his love for Los Angeles was unwavering, but that passed, and he turned the emotions positive, just as when he was traded to Charlotte. The reactions, he reasoned, meant people inside Staples Center must be concerned about him. It had to be respect.

"I think he almost enjoys it," Kings coach Rick Adelman said. "I don't think he takes it as seriously as some of the people there wished he did."

The real problem becomes that some of the people who take it seriously are family and close friends.

"They can't enjoy the games," Divac said. "They don't go to games down there when we play. They just stay home."

Because?

"Because people give them a hard time. They just don't want to be a part of that. ... They just stay away. Until the wave goes away."

Until he retires, in other words. When that happens, Divac and his family might move to Europe for a year or two, but he plans to return to California and live here full time. More specifically, he says without hesitation, in Los Angeles.

The Divacs had a beautiful, warm home in the Pacific Palisades hills for 12 years, before selling not long before the season began. He had bought another piece of land in the same area, quiet and a short drive to the ocean, and intended to build, but the headaches of planning and construction convinced him otherwise. They will buy an existing home, probably also in the Palisades.

Their place in Carmichael is a rental. Divac likes it there, too, and his time in Sacramento as a whole has been nothing short of a joy. But it's not the same.

"I don't see myself living at home," Divac said, meaning his native land, which has become Serbia and Montenegro. "And the only place I feel like home is Los Angeles. I love this area here (Sacramento), the community. But that's what I feel right now."

That he belongs in Los Angeles, even with the basketball border skirmishes. He knows he can always go back there. Or to Fresno.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby Kasumi on Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:26 pm

Wanna know why I don't like Divac? Here it is:
"I had Shaq on my back and I had no time to think, so I knocked the ball out," Divac said. "He tried to beat the clock. It's a lucky shot." This is Vlade on Horry's miracle against the Kings. He then goes on to say that it takes no skill set, you just shoot and hope it goes in. No way! At least C-Webb got it right:
"That was a lucky play, a fumble out of the inside to the outside. Now Horry shooting it wasn't lucky. That's a big shot. I have to give him credit. That's a big-time player, but that was a lucky play."
ImageImage

You can now find me over at www.LakersBall.com
Kasumi
ClubSpurs.com Administrator

Postby Guest on Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:34 pm

Most new Laker fans think of this and immediately start thrashing Divac because all they know him for is being Floppy Divac from the Kings. Most of them don't know he was a Laker, and a pretty damn good one too. 7 seasons with the Lakers. If for some reason, he went into the hall of fame, he would no doubt be a Laker. He has done nothing but good for our franchise.

1. The Kings have never beat us in the playoffs.
2. He had 7 great seasons as a Laker.
3. He got us Kobe Bryant.

I would take him in a second, but for nothing more then Slava's 1.5 exception. 11.1 a game, 7 assists a game and still good rebounding skills. Your telling me you wouldn't take him over Grant or Slava?

Postby Kasumi on Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:45 pm

I didn't say that he's not a great player ... he is! And I know that he played for the Lakers but I don't like his attitude. Just my personal opinion ... feel free to disagree.
ImageImage

You can now find me over at www.LakersBall.com
Kasumi
ClubSpurs.com Administrator

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:54 pm

Posto wrote:Most new Laker fans think of this and immediately start thrashing Divac because all they know him for is being Floppy Divac from the Kings. Most of them don't know he was a Laker, and a pretty damn good one too. 7 seasons with the Lakers. If for some reason, he went into the hall of fame, he would no doubt be a Laker. He has done nothing but good for our franchise.

I agree... May I add he also "flopped" when he was with us here in L.A. :man1:
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby rydjorker121 on Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:09 pm

I'm sorry guys, but this article was so deep and heartwarming that it has really changed me...for one thing I didn't know that Vlade had it in his heart tha he wanted to retire in La...for another it seems that he's still got that faith and love of LA instilled in him, and hes kept it ever since. I mean, isn't it hard when you're on a team that is now a rival against the former team that you were in ? Especially since Vlade spent six in LA, blossoming and helping us reach the Finals in '91, then he spent five years in Sacramento helping them become a good team and becoming an elite passer himself. I appreciate Divac's assists...he gets as much as Payton this year surprisingly, and hes really helping Sactown's pick and roll game, as much as you all hate to admit it...he is also a just leader, even though sometimes he gets out of hand, and thats what makes him hated as a person. In all due seriousness, though, Divac hasn't relinquished his trust for playing with us, if you read in that article that he was heartbroken when he was traded and threatened to retire, its almost like he wanted to end his career in LA. Now hes definitely changed with the ugly Sacramento attitude, rooting for their team and helping the players out both offensively and defensively. Hes also built some corrupt sleazy tricks up his sleeve with his flops and underhand scoop layups, whether or not they look smooth and savvy. It's funny that he was once a liked player and hes turned hated, and it was not like he wanted to join our archrivals. The Kings were lousy, or at least just a little above par back then, and he just helped them. That's an NBA player's job, whether or not they get an Oscar for that job it doesn't matter. His game needs to be respected, seriously, and I'm sure he'll put up a good showing against us tonight.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby BDG on Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:55 pm

I don't blame him. I know he has kids and a family here in LA and he was living in Pacific Palisades before he got traded to Charlotte for Kobe.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby lakerfanimal on Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:38 pm

lets have a clublaker filed trip or somn. Lets all go egg his house :man13: :man13: :man13: :man13:

jk ion evn kno wer he liv
ImageImage
lakerfanimal

Postby SweetLaker on Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:12 pm

Nice article.
Poor Divac. I'm sure he's a great person off the court, but as long as he is wearing a Kings jersey he will be booed. I don't think the fans should give his family a hard time. It's not like they did anything. I think he should live in L.A when he retires, since he still thinks it's home. When he retires I don't think Laker fans will give him a hard time. Right?
LAker Fan Always & Forever!
SweetLaker

Postby Roscoe on Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:34 pm

Unfortunately most sports fans are ignorant and they will give him a hard time...

"Injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere." - Martin Luther King Jr.
Roscoe
ClubLakers O.G.

Postby Kobe834 on Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:11 pm

L.A.- The greatest city
Kobe834

Postby BDG on Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:10 am

SweetLaker wrote:Nice article.
Poor Divac. I'm sure he's a great person off the court, but as long as he is wearing a Kings jersey he will be booed.
That's very true. I've actually met Vlade before and spent about 30 minutes with the guy and he's one of the nicest athletes I've met.

If "Floppy" wasn't playing for the Kings, I'd cheer for him. :man10:
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Kb8theGreat on Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:16 pm

BryantDunkGiant wrote:
Poor Divac. I'm sure he's a great person off the court, but as long as he is wearing a Kings jersey he will be booed.
That's very true. I've actually met Vlade before and spent about 30 minutes with the guy and he's one of the nicest athletes I've met.

You got to talk to him?
Kobe is the Future of our franchise no matter if you like it or not.
Kb8theGreat

Postby GWHiZiTSPHiL on Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:41 pm

Floppy isn't that bad. After all, he was great friends with Magic when they played together. He was at his event during All-Star weekend in fact. I remember this one game when he hit a game winner and immediately looked at Magic with a facial expression that said, "Did I do good?" Like he needs approval of Magic. Great moment.
GWHiZiTSPHiL
Clublakers Rep: Clippers

Postby lakerfanimal on Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:43 pm

ion kno ne nba players of the court, so i cud giv a dam wat they do off the court, n ive heard two sides of the story in the papers n all that ish. every nba person says vlade is one of the nicest people, n andre miller hates him cus he went to him for an autograph wen he was little n vlade tol him to leave n he started cryin or somn. so i don care wat vlade does, as long as lakers win n the players r good on the court i cud care less what happens off the court cus i don giv a dam
ImageImage
lakerfanimal

Postby BDG on Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:35 am

Kb8theGreat wrote:
BryantDunkGiant wrote:

You got to talk to him?
Yes

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby purple_and_gold_fever on Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:13 am

vlade can come and work for the lakers. as a mopper or a water boy. or he can replace madsen's spot, as a cheer leader. lol. j/k.
my first laker game was the finals of '91 against the bulls. i liked the lakers because they lost that game. and vlade was there.
purple_and_gold_fever

Postby nosebleedbum on Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:49 pm

I also heard an interview that he wants to stay in SAC. But if someone else gives him 4 mil he's out. SAC is offering 2 mil. Money first. LA won't offer him anywhere near that with Kobe, Malone, Payton opting out and wanting/getting more money....to go with shaq's 26 mil.

Who would offer him 4 mil?

I don't think he'll go for the veteran's exception even with the Lakes.
nosebleedbum

Postby futurefelonKobe on Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:59 am

Vlade is the man :jam2:
futurefelonKobe

Postby crucifido on Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:58 pm

Vlade was AWFUL as a Laker (and yes, I didn't like him when he was a Laker and especially not now that he is a Queen) and to say he was anything more is nothing but revisionist history. We held season tickets for almost 10 years while they were at the Forum and in all that time, Vlade did nothing to further the Lakers effort when it mattered most. He is soft and has no idea or motivation to win without someone dragging him along into success.

I equate the fans of Vlade as a Laker to those fans of Eddie Jones. For some reason or another people attached themsleves to them (sure they may have been nice guys off the court but that has little bearing to their skill level when the season is on the line) without ever really looking at the fact that they accomplished nothing but making the Lakers far too fragile and pourous when it mattered most.

I'm one for positive thinking and trying to keep things moving in a positive direction, but Vlade's tenure as a Laker was nothing short of frustrating and extremely lackluster. If it weren't for Magic, Byron, Worthy and the like pulling his (mediocre at best) talent up every five seconds, Vlade wouldn't be playing basketball today. He has done nothing and will continue to do nothing.

And by they way, is it a shock that he would move back down to So Cal? Have any of you been up in the Excramento area? There is jack and squat to do and see in that entire area.
crucifido
Clublakers Analyst

Postby queen_hater on Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:26 am

futurefelonKobe wrote:Vlade is the man :jam2:

vlade is a floppin little bi'atch. he cant play for [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.]. i hated him when he was a laker. this big joke was an embarassment to the franchise. keep this numnut in hictown with the inbreeding rednecks.
queen_hater

Postby luis2k10 on Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:16 pm

http://www.petehandelman.com/lakers3.jpgYeah I still remember playing as him on NBA Jam :) I loved watching him play. I would LOVE for him to once again wear the gold and purple. I think that if does go into the hall of fame one day he will go in as a Laker. He was my favorite Laker before Shaq got here.
Image Image
luis2k10

Postby Dragan on Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:07 pm

Vlade came here right after Jabbar retired. In his first season Thompson ( remember him ? ) was starting at C and Vlade was coming in off the bench but as season moved along he ended up playing more tham Thompson did and he ended up playing late in games witch was uncaracterictic for a rookie. Next season he was starter and was key preformer for the Lakers in 91 conference finals when we beat the Blazers who were considerd the best team in the league at that time. He outplayed Duckworth so badly at C Duck thretened to retire from basketball and that gave us the edge to win the series. And than in the NBA Finals he was the best Laker. 1 st in scoring and rebounding hiting some key shots along the way. He was very involved in two consecutive playes in game 3 that actualy decided the series. With series tied at 1, Bulls had one point lead with some 20 seconds left. Magic lost the ball, it got to Vlade who scored and was fouled. After he did that he ren to Magic with his hand on his back looking for his phrase. Magic obviously huged him. Vlade made the bonus free throw for 2 point lead. Jordan got the ball on next posetion and Vlade almost blocked his shot at the buzzer that tied the game and send it into OT. That shot decided the entire series. Lakers were no match in OT. Both Scott and Worthy got injured and it was over.

As you know, Magic retired after that season. Worthy, Scott, Green and Perkins were over the hill and West decided to rebuild the team around Vlade. First he dtafted Van Exel. Than he drafted Jones and sighned free agent Ceballos and apointed Harris coach and all of a sudden we had a team again. Team that made it to the 2 nd round right away. That was his finest season. He avraged 16 pts 10 rbs and 4 ast. So Vlade was holding things together while we were rebuilding and was here threw most dificult times.

He came here ( LA ) as a kid who didnt know mutch about the world. He spent his best years here and he gave his best playing preformences here. He is still best of freinds with Magic and Jack Nicholson. He gave his son two names ( Luca Andrija ) witch is very uncomen in Serbia, so that his initials would be L.A. Thats how mutch he loves the city.

When we tarded him to Charlotte he tretened to retire cose he couldnt emagine him self playing for another team. We boo that guy and chear for Kobe who is going to opt out from the Lakers to test free agency.

He missed almost the entire 91/92 season cose of injury. With Lakers being 9 th in the west and both Worthy and Perkins out for the season Lakers staff sugested he should sit out the entire season so that Lakers could get into the lottery. But he decided to play anyway. We made the playoffs on the last day of the season by beating Clippers away and gave eventual western champs run for thear money in the first round. You boo that guy and chear Shaq who decided not to have his surgery during the summer but right before the season witch forced him to miss 30 games and came back unfitt ? Just think about it.

You know, you dont have to be born in L.A. to have tru L.A. personality. Vlade does. And thats why he belongs here.
Dragan

Postby WalterJ456 on Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:21 pm

lakerfanimal wrote:ion kno ne nba players of the court, so i cud giv a dam wat they do off the court, n ive heard two sides of the story in the papers n all that ish. every nba person says vlade is one of the nicest people, n andre miller hates him cus he went to him for an autograph wen he was little n vlade tol him to leave n he started cryin or somn. so i don care wat vlade does, as long as lakers win n the players r good on the court i cud care less what happens off the court cus i don giv a dam

Holy crap, is that english? Mavis Beacon > you.

Anyway, Vlade is definitely one of the better big men in the league. The only reason why anyone boos any player is because they are good. Fans don't boo opposing players if they are good, they cheer them because they keep messing up!

And yes, he's been a flopper forever! I remember when Magic used to tell him to stand tough in the paint & stop flopping all the time!
WalterJ456

Return to NBA Discussion