Wall nearing $80 million deal with Wizards

Re: John Wall Believes He 'Definitely' Deserves Max Contract

Postby dj vitus on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:24 am

karacha wrote:He's a good player, but raw. Fast, tall, athletic, can penetrate, but can't shoot. He has to work on his game. In any case, I think he is worth around 8M per year... how much is the max for someone after their rookie contract? I will say that he is one of the best young PGs, but he's not as good as, say, Irving.

Max starts at about $14.5M after rookie deals. Might be a little high, but if he continues to improve his game, I don't think he'll get anything less than $11-12M.

I think most people are still underestimating him. This isn't Steve Francis we're talking about. Wall has been playing smarter ball lately, learning when to use his speed to his advantage, and knowing when to find the open teammate. He's shooting better this year and can still rack up a lot of assists on a lousy Washington team.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby pound4pound1 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:05 pm

we sure made him look like a franchise player on Friday
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Finwë on Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:50 pm

Well he dropped 47 against one of the best defenses in the league tonight.. If I hadn't seen the Laker game I'd feel better about our D
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby LAKEROC on Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:47 pm

I have long been the driver of the John Wall Bandwagon here at Clublakers. So nice to see him have a phenomenal game. 47 points, 8 assists, 7 rebounds, 1 steal, 1 MONSTER block, and only 2 Turnovers in 44 minutes.

LOL at the person on this board, that thought Brandon Jennings was better than John Wall. :man10:
LAKEROC

Postby abeer3 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:13 am

i've been a huge fan since he was drafted, and i have to admit i was feeling foolish until recently. he's finally getting past that injury and doing what i thought he could. he's been my laker target for the post-kobe era, but i'm guessing he won't forego the big payday from washington until the second contract.
abeer3

Postby Congo Cash on Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:43 pm

At this rate, he will earn that contract... :man4: Maybe he deserves it after all, if he somehow stay healthy...
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby JSM on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:18 pm

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo wrote:The Washington Wizards have made significant progress toward completing a five-year, $80 million maximum contract extension for guard John Wall, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Wizards will make Wall their designated franchise player, allowing him to get the fifth year on the extension, sources said.

The Wizards and Wall's agent, Dan Fegan, have until Oct. 31 to complete an agreement on the rookie extension for Wall to avoid restricted free agency next summer, but are moving swiftly to reach a deal.

There's strong belief on both sides that an agreement will be reached soon, but there are still contractual details and terms that need to be agreed upon before it can be formalized, league sources said.

Wall, the No. 1 overall selection in the 2010 NBA draft, missed last season's first 33 games with a knee injury, but finished the season strong. In his shortened season, Wall averaged 18.5 points and 7.6 assists and led the Wizards to nearly a .500 record in his return.

In three seasons with Washington, where he has yet to reach the playoffs, Wall has averaged 16.9 points and eight assists.

Wall, 22, is participating in the Team USA minicamp in Las Vegas this week.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: Wall nearing $80 million deal with Wizards

Postby revgen on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:42 pm

A little overpaid IMO.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby abeer3 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:10 am

he's a max guy, imo. my only concern would be health. when he's on the floor, I think he's every bit the game changer that people thought he would be coming out of college.
abeer3

Postby FabFourLakers on Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:11 am

Welp, there goes that hope of pairing Wall with another star in LA....

Wall and George are virtually unattainable...Melo and LeBron? Slim to None. Andrew Wiggins anybody?
FabFourLakers

Postby kenzo on Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:57 am

Any semi good RFA is unattainable :bang:
kenzo

Postby revgen on Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:55 am

abeer3 wrote:he's a max guy, imo. my only concern would be health. when he's on the floor, I think he's every bit the game changer that people thought he would be coming out of college.

I don't see it. Wall seems closer to Jrue Holiday than a max PG like Kyrie Irving. Worst of all, Wall is an even worse shooter than Holiday.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby thkthebest on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:56 am

I think Wall can be a great player. He still needs to develop even an average jumper, but he's a little underrated imo. Nobody really talks about him even though he took that hopelessly crappy Wizards to play .500 ball when he returned. Kyrie is a better scorer than Wall and probably a better leader. He's also unusually clutch, but Wall is more athletic, a better finisher, and a better defender. I'd still take Kyrie, but Wall's not THAT far off. Lol.
My signature
thkthebest

Postby KB24 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:24 pm

Max guy? lol.

I think Wall is worth about 10 mio. per season...thats optimistic BTW.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby revgen on Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:13 pm

10 mil/yr is what Philly extended Jrue Holiday for, so I think that's a fair price for Wall.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:34 pm

Wall is better than Holiday. When Wall is healthy he's very productive. If I were him I wouldn't sign an extension there. I'd wait it out and go to free agency. Washington is/was just a terrible place for him. He needs a place where he can be taught and mentored. He needs to bulk up a little.

Overall though, he's a very good player. Better than most give him credit for. He's just really never healthy.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:42 pm

therealdeal wrote:Wall is better than Holiday. When Wall is healthy he's very productive. If I were him I wouldn't sign an extension there. I'd wait it out and go to free agency. Washington is/was just a terrible place for him. He needs a place where he can be taught and mentored. He needs to bulk up a little.

Overall though, he's a very good player. Better than most give him credit for. He's just really never healthy.

^^ Agreed realdeal. I was actually holding out some hope that we could pair him up with Kobe and Howard but alas - not to be the case.
Lakerjones

Postby abeer3 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:50 pm

KB24 wrote:Max guy? lol.

I think Wall is worth about 10 mio. per season...thats optimistic BTW.

if healthy, absolutely. the question is whether he can stay on the floor.

of course, that's an issue for irving, too, but nobody would balk at calling him max-worthy.
abeer3

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:31 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Wall is better than Holiday. When Wall is healthy he's very productive. If I were him I wouldn't sign an extension there. I'd wait it out and go to free agency. Washington is/was just a terrible place for him. He needs a place where he can be taught and mentored. He needs to bulk up a little.

^^ Agreed realdeal. I was actually holding out some hope that we could pair him up with Kobe and Howard but alas - not to be the case.

Yeah he was in my future hopes for the Lakers too, but alas that Restricted Free Agency really kills player movement. The Lakers will have to either hope for a better option, or position themselves for him in 5 years.

I think they position themselves to try to get to Rondo before they try to get to Wall though.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:57 pm

yeah, I wanted wall, too, but I always figured he'd do like everyone else and sign the big extension with the team that drafted him before either demanding a trade or bolting at the end of that deal.

and I also hope that rondo wants out of boston in 2015. it's a long way off, and a lot can happen, but love/rondo seems much more possible than luring a LeBron type or hitting big in the lotto.
abeer3

Previous

Return to NBA Discussion