Warriors fire Mark Jackson

Re: Warriors fire Mark Jackson

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri May 09, 2014 4:21 pm

I think its a little sad that we're looking back at past quotes from the man in what he said about Jason Collins, hell we all have said stuff in the past that if someone brought up today we would look a bad, even maybe a little hippacritical. We're all told to move forward in life and we learn from past mistakes.

In all honesty I didn't care for what Mark said in the past but I don't worry about that now. People change and I've been on the record of saying this last year in the Playoffs. I would love to play for a guy like Mark Jackson.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby MadMax on Fri May 09, 2014 4:26 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:I think its a little sad that we're looking back at past quotes from the man, hell we all have said stuff in the past that if someone brought up we would look a bad, hippacritical. We're all told to move forward in life and we learn from past mistake.

It's not like he said this quote years ago. It was fairly recent, and the topic is still totally relevant.

I do agree that we've all said bad stuff in the past, and I wouldn't hold someone accountable for something they said years ago that they've since changed their stance on. Or something that was taken out of context, and then spun the media. You have to be careful to watch out for that.

This isn't the case, and I don't think it's "sad" to bring it up. Completely relevant, especially considering the circumstances.

bah, enough of this! :man11:
MadMax

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri May 09, 2014 6:18 pm

^Fair enough.

(shrugs shoulders)
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri May 09, 2014 10:47 pm

"Weren't any teams, for most of the year, that wanted to add Collins to their roster. Maybe didn't want all the distractions and repetitive questions asked of his teammates, by the press wanting to dig up a quote to run with." My quote from above. Hit edit instead of quote.

OH! OH! OH! Speaking of possible distraction with outwardly gay players now in the testosterone fueled locker rooms of pro basketball, and more so, pro football…..Looks like Michael Sam could care less. Some, or maybe a lot of angst with the on camera kiss of boyfriend on draft night, but that pales with what's coming next. Unless they really lay the law down to him and make locker room and practice field (?) off limits? The distraction of Tebow was weak sauce and I don't think he really sought the attention.

But Sam has kinda thrown them under the buss already with inking a reality show (think Lamar and Khloe cameras in Lakers locker room) with Oprah. Heard yesterday on Cowheard players already not down with this.

Michael Sam gets a reality show on Oprah’s network

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 14, 2014, 7:14 PM EDT

Rams defensive end Michael Sam is getting a reality show.

The Oprah Winfrey Network announced today that it is working with Sam on a reality TV project that will show his life as the first openly gay player in the NFL.

“We are honored that Michael is trusting us with his private journey in this moment that has not only made history but will shape it forever,” Oprah Winfrey said in a statement. “I am proud of the focus on authentic storytelling in our new documentary series format.”

There’s been no word on how much access the Rams will give the reality TV cameras, but it wouldn’t be surprising if the team has some qualms about it. NFL teams generally prefer for their rookies to put all their energy into football, not outside projects. That’s why A.J. McCarron quickly distanced himself from it when his fiancee, Katherine Webb, was reportedly in talks for a reality show. And that may be why Sam, in a statement, made clear that his focus is on making the team.

“Like every player out there working to make a team right now, my focus is on playing football to the very best of my ability,” said Sam. “I am determined. And if seeing my story helps somebody else accept who they are and to go for their dreams too, that’s great. I am thankful to Oprah for her support and excited to work together.”

Working with Oprah will be nice, but working for Jeff Fisher is what Sam really needs to do in the next three months, if he still wants to be a Ram in four months.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... s-network/
Last edited by LTLakerFan on Fri May 16, 2014 12:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Fri May 16, 2014 10:09 am

Numerous reports suggest Albert was the guy who talked Kerr out of taking the Knicks job. “That’s not true,” Albert said. “I didn’t know and I didn’t want to know what was going on. Everybody was calling me, texting me looking for information. Steve, on purpose, didn’t give us (the TNT crew) any details.” Albert also said Kerr “talked to a lot of people about what went on in the Garden.” And while the Dolan Affect was part of his decision, it was just one of a few factors we already outlined. “He was enamored by New York and Phil. It was more Phil than anything else,” Albert said. “I know Steve felt bad when he said goodbye to Phil after making his decision. Steve really did check it out very carefully. To me it (his decision) was a no-brainer.” New York Daily News - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.LWwsd4ul.dpuf

Numerous reports suggest Albert was the guy who talked Kerr out of taking the Knicks job. “That’s not true,” Albert said. “I didn’t know and I didn’t want to know what was going on. Everybody was calling me, texting me looking for information. Steve, on purpose, didn’t give us (the TNT crew) any details.” Albert also said Kerr “talked to a lot of people about what went on in the Garden.” And while the Dolan Affect was part of his decision, it was just one of a few factors we already outlined. “He was enamored by New York and Phil. It was more Phil than anything else,” Albert said. “I know Steve felt bad when he said goodbye to Phil after making his decision. Steve really did check it out very carefully. To me it (his decision) was a no-brainer.” New York Daily News - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.LWwsd4ul.dpuf

And, yes, it's about Jackson and the vast majority of the roster being black and Lacob, president Rick Welts, general manager Bob Myers, assistant GM Kirk Lacob and Kerr being white. "Guys are going to look at it from a race standpoint," the player said. "It shows what this was all about when they cut him as quick as they did. Guys question, 'Is this really about winning or is it about the way you want the place to look like?' " Bleacher Report
Rumors tagsGolden State Warriors, Steve Kerr, Coaching, Mark Jackson Share on FacebookShare on TwitterSubscribe to HoopsHype rumors
"There aren't any idiots in that locker room," the player said. "We have solid guys, great guys. I'm not saying he won't be able to win the team over. But that will be his biggest challenge. Can he take us to a place Coach Jackson couldn't? We were one basket away from going back to the semifinals a second year in a row. That means Steve has to get us to the conference finals or the finals. Guys are going to be very conscious of that. If you've known him for 20 years, why wasn't he on your list before this? Did he not want the job then? Coach Jackson changed the culture and this is how you do him? If this is your loyalty to Coach, what's your loyalty to me? I know it raised questions with all of us." Bleacher Report
- See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.LWwsd4ul.dpuf
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby MadMax on Fri May 16, 2014 11:57 am

And, yes, it's about Jackson and the vast majority of the roster being black and Lacob, president Rick Welts, general manager Bob Myers, assistant GM Kirk Lacob and Kerr being white. "Guys are going to look at it from a race standpoint," the player said. "It shows what this was all about when they cut him as quick as they did. Guys question, 'Is this really about winning or is it about the way you want the place to look like?' " Bleacher Report

Wait...what?
MadMax

Postby therealdeal on Fri May 16, 2014 12:52 pm

An undertone of the off-season has been that white coaches get better opportunities and better pay than black coaches. Apparently it was the case with Jackson who said he wanted a head coaching gig before an assistant gig because Danny Ainge (I think?) got the job with Phoenix without any prior experience.

I personally don't think the Warriors cared about his skin color, but certainly his Christian views clashed with their progressive views.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Previous

Return to NBA Discussion