Warriors fire Mark Jackson

Warriors fire Mark Jackson

Postby Basketball Fan on Tue May 06, 2014 4:50 pm

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2014/st ... e-warriors

Mark Jackson fired by Warriors

Warriors Fire Mark Jackson

Chris Broussard reacts to the news that Golden State has fired coach Mark Jackson. Broussard also discusses potential landing spots for Jackson.
Tags: Mark Jackson, Golden State Warriors, Fired, Chris Broussard, SportsCenter, New York Knicks, Steve Kerr
NEXT VIDEO video
Good Move To Fire Mark Jackson?
OAKLAND, Calif. -- The Golden State Warriors have fired Mark Jackson, ending the franchise's most successful coaching tenure in the past two decades but also one filled with drama and distractions.

General manager Bob Myers thanked Jackson in a statement Tuesday for "his role in helping elevate this team into a better position than it was when he arrived nearly 36 months ago." Myers said it was a difficult decision but that the Warriors "simply feel it's best to move in a different direction at this time."

The Warriors fired Mark Jackson despite the fact he was the first coach since Don Nelson in 1992 to lead the team to consecutive postseason appearances.

"Thanks to the Warriors organization for the opportunity you gave me," Jackson told ESPN. "Thanks to the great fans for all of your support!! Thank you to my players!! Who I love!! We accomplished a lot together!! I wish you all nothing but the best! God bless."

ESPN.com's Marc Stein reported Sunday that Steve Kerr and Stan Van Gundy would be at the top of Golden State's search list if Jackson were fired. The New York Daily News, citing a league source, reported the Warriors have already contacted Kerr. The Warriors are also expected to speak with former Memphis Grizzlies coach Lionel Hollins, league sources told ESPN.

Sources close to the situation say the New York Knicks remain the favorite to land Kerr, thanks to the TNT broadcaster's close ties to new team president Phil Jackson. But Kerr also has strong relationships with Warriors owner Joe Lacob and team president Rick Welts, with whom he worked in Phoenix.

The San Jose Mercury News reported over the weekend that the Warriors have strong interest in Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg, but sources say the Warriors -- like the Minnesota Timberwolves -- are pessimistic about being able to lure him away from his alma mater.

Jackson's three seasons with the Warriors will be remembered for the way he helped turn a perennially losing franchise into a consistent winner and the bold, bombastic way in which he did it.

He guaranteed Golden State would make the playoffs in his first season, but the Warriors finished 23-43 after the NBA labor lockout. They went 47-35 last season and had a memorable run to the second round of the playoffs, and they were 51-31 this season before losing to the Los Angeles Clippers in the first round.

The Warriors had not made the playoffs in consecutive years since the 1990-91 and 1991-92 seasons. They had made the playoffs once in 17 years before Jackson.

Now the Warriors -- with the help of Jackson, Myers and an ownership group led by Lacob -- are in position to contend for several years behind a strong young core led by point guard Stephen Curry.

Jackson, a former NBA point guard who had his best seasons with the Knicks and Indiana Pacers, had never been a head coach at any level when Lacob hired him away from the ESPN/ABC broadcast table in June 2011. An ordained minister away from the court, Jackson often spoke of his Christian beliefs and promised to turn the Warriors into one of the best defensive teams in the league and a perennial playoff contender -- and he did.

But Jackson's boisterous personality, at times, did not play well with Warriors management, his staff and -- to a much lesser extent -- his players, most of whom said they wanted him to return, especially Curry. Jackson's demeanor, which bordered on confidence and cockiness, might have ultimately cost him his job.

The pressure on Jackson began when the Warriors decided to pick up his contract option for the 2014-15 season last summer instead of negotiating a long-term deal as he had wanted. Management also encouraged Jackson to hire a strong tactician after top assistant Michael Malone, who had several disagreements with Jackson, left to become coach of the Sacramento Kings.

Instead, Jackson promoted Pete Myers and other assistants and hired Lindsey Hunter and Brian Scalabrine. While reports of rifts within the team surfaced on occasion, dismissing two assistants in a 12-day stretch before the playoffs perpetuated the idea that Jackson had fostered an environment of dysfunction, which Jackson repeatedly refuted.

[+] EnlargeMark Jackson
Rocky Widner/Getty Images
Mark Jackson had a 121-109 record in three successful yet abrasive seasons as Warriors coach.
The Warriors reassigned Scalabrine to the team's Development League affiliate in Santa Cruz on March 25 because of what Jackson called a "difference in philosophies." Then the Warriors fired Darren Erman on April 5 for reportedly recording conversations during coaches' meetings and discussions between coaches and players without their knowledge.

Lacob, who bought the Warriors for a then-NBA record $450 million in 2010 along with Peter Guber, never publicly supported Jackson beyond this season. The lack of support led to a lingering uncertainty that hovered over the team all season.

Several home losses to lesser teams frustrated Lacob more than anything and cost the Warriors a chance to earn anything more than the sixth playoff seed in the West, which they also had a year ago when they upset Denver in the first round before falling to San Antonio. The Warriors still showed a lot of fight -- and an ability to make adjustments -- with center Andrew Bogut out with a fractured right rib, pushing the third-seeded Clippers to seven games.

Clippers coach Doc Rivers said Jackson's firing proves things in the coaching game have changed.

"That means things are crazy," Rivers said. "George Karl was the coach of the year last year and got fired. Mark Jackson gets a team to multiple playoffs for the first time in a thousand years and gets fired. It's our job. We have a tough job. Everyone knows it now more than ever. ... Something has absolutely changed. I don't know what it is. Clearly the patience has changed. I don't know but there's definitely a change in thinking above us and it's hurting us."

Jackson said after the series that he never worried about his job.

"I work every single day with a passion and a commitment like it's my last," he said. "I'm trying to be a blessing to people. I'm trying to impact people, and that's the way I live my life. That's the way I coach. I don't get caught up in it. I'm totally confident and have total faith that, no matter what, I'm going to be fine, and that's even if I'm a full-time pastor. It's going to work out."
Basketball Fan

Re: Warriors fire Mark Jackson

Postby therealdeal on Tue May 06, 2014 5:21 pm

Gimme gimme gimme.

Well respected by the players. Check.
Mutual respect between he and Kobe. Check.
Emphasizes defense while exploiting offensive mismatches. Check.

I know he's not a perfect coach with the Xs and Os, but being a leader is half the battle. He's a fantastic leader and really got the Warriors to buy into his philosophies. It'd be nice to have a coach that I respect and that commands the respect of his team.

I wouldn't pick him over say Popovich or Thibodeau. I might not pick him over Ollie or maybe Fisher if Fish wanted the job. Other than that he's a clear winner to me.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Tue May 06, 2014 5:42 pm

therealdeal wrote:Gimme gimme gimme.

I know he's not a perfect coach with the Xs and Os, but being a leader is half the battle. He's a fantastic leader and really got the Warriors to buy into his philosophies. It'd be nice to have a coach that I respect and that commands the respect of his team.

I wouldn't pick him over say Popovich or Thibodeau. I might not pick him over Ollie or maybe Fisher if Fish wanted the job. Other than that he's a clear winner to me.

^^ I agree 100% with you realdeal.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Fly Like A Mosquito Bite on Tue May 06, 2014 10:20 pm

When you have your guys play hard for you and believe in you, you can do anything. You can always hire XO assistant coaches.

I would welcome him here if Ollie, Thib don't come.
Fly Like A Mosquito Bite

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue May 06, 2014 10:26 pm

therealdeal wrote:Gimme gimme gimme.

Well said! I agree
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Wed May 07, 2014 12:53 am

mustve been something on dem tapes
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby CGrand81 on Wed May 07, 2014 7:12 am

He's too much of a hypocrite for me to like this guy, wasn't a fan of him as an announcer, jury still out if he can coach in this league.
CGrand81

Postby revgen on Wed May 07, 2014 11:00 am

Interesting interview with Dan Patrick. Mark is trying to be respectful but at the same time he hints that he wasn't treated fairly.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby abeer3 on Wed May 07, 2014 11:16 am

yeah...I'm a bit worried about the circumstances of his firing. seems like a LOT of stuff had to be going on behind the scenes to make that move. stuff you don't want in your organization.

I refuse to believe they fired their franchise player-supported coach for failing to beat the clippers in a road game 7. I'm guessing there's fire behind the smoke, in other words. the firing of assistants, etc., stuff was happening...
abeer3

Postby jlkr on Wed May 07, 2014 11:42 am

Can't coach his way out of a paper bag at the offensive end of the floor. Had the best pair of outside shooters in the league and made them go 1-on-1 to find their shots. No picks. I don't understand that, this is just so fundamental, cannot believe Jackson ignored it as much as he did. That and the problems with the assistant coaches makes him pretty unattractive to me. GS will be looking for a coach who understands offensive schemes and picks as part of them.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby John3:16 on Wed May 07, 2014 7:48 pm

According to ESPN radio, he was too outspoken about his faith and that didn't sit well with Warriors team president who is openly gay.

According to the host, when Jason Collins was signed in NJ, Jackson was quoted as saying "I know right from wrong" and his fate in Oakland was sealed.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed May 07, 2014 9:14 pm

Yikes. Watch what you say around here.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby MadMax on Thu May 08, 2014 2:34 pm

As a Christian man, I serve a God that gives you free will to be whomever you want to be. As a Christian man, I have beliefs about what’s right and what’s wrong. That being said, I know Jason Collins. I know his family. I’m certainly praying for them at this time.

Said the man who in 2006 (married with 4 kids) was involved in an extortion scandal with a stripper. I'm not quite sure what his thought process was at the time, but that doesn't sound very right to me.

He's entitled to have his beliefs, but if my head coach (not saying he was for sure) was using his faith as a sort of platform or motivator for my team, I wouldn't want that person coaching my team.
MadMax
Clublakers Moderator

Postby John3:16 on Thu May 08, 2014 4:52 pm

^^ thanks for posting the actual quote. I was only going off the radio interview and glad you had the rest of it.
CL Global Moderator

Postby laakers on Fri May 09, 2014 12:44 am

^Whoa, that quote changes things certainly, would be helpful if placed into the LD thread on coaches
laakers

Postby therealdeal on Fri May 09, 2014 9:38 am

I don't know that he said anything wrong in that quote... He has his beliefs and he doesn't approve of Jason's orientation. I mean that's not really that uncommon is it? Many Christians feel this way and in fact I'd say many people in general feel this way.

Not that they hate homosexuals or would actively wish them harm or keep them down or anything, but that they don't personally approve of it. What's wrong with that? We don't all have to agree about everything.

I personally couldn't care less about another person's beliefs (and that's why I've stopped going to church), but that's me. Some people do care and that's them. If he's a good coach then it doesn't bother me. If he used that opinion to treat a gay player differently in his locker room or on the court, then that's a totally different story.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby MadMax on Fri May 09, 2014 10:10 am

As a Christian man, I serve a God that gives you free will to be whomever you want to be.

So then if we have free will to live as we want, then whether or not one "chooses" to be a homosexual, shouldn't even be an issue then. But this isn't what he means...read deeper into it and I think he is implying homosexuality is a choice.

I don't agree with this, and that is based on scientific research and personal experience speaking with gay people, not the the bible. I think his comment shows real ignorance here. He makes it seem like we're all free to choose, but only if we choose what HE believes God thinks is "right" or "wrong".

As a Christian man, I have beliefs about what’s right and what’s wrong.

So do atheist, Muslims, and Mormons. In my opinion, this statement implies, "I'm a Christian and know what really is right and wrong." That's just my opinion.

That being said, I know Jason Collins. I know his family. I’m certainly praying for them at this time.

He knows people have free will. He know's right and wrong. He knows Jason. He knows his family.

So Mark Jackson will now be praying for the family during his what he assumes must be a troubling time.

In conclusion, everyone in the US is free to follow whichever religion they prefer, but when they start implementing that into my government, work, or just personal life in general, then I have a huge issue with that.

I don't know what happened behind the scenes with Mark Jackson and the Warriors. I don't know the all the facts or what really happened. But when it comes to your job as an NBA coach, I don't see any purpose your personal religious beliefs should have any place on your team.
MadMax
Clublakers Moderator

Postby John3:16 on Fri May 09, 2014 10:35 am

MadMax wrote:But when it comes to your job as an NBA coach, I don't see any purpose your personal religious beliefs should have any place on your team.

I'm confident that if you asked Mark Jackson to separate the two, he'd say he can't. It's who he is. When they hired a man for the position of basketball coach, they were getting a Christian man as a basketball coach. Whether that was discussed or not, I don't know. I think the Warriors should've known something when he refused to leave his congregation in LA and move to the Bay Area.

Might be a discussion for the Open Court, but I'd venture to say most people bring "who they are" into their profession. Look at all the college professors threatening students to take that "Tea Bagger mentality out of this classroom."
http://www.tpnn.com/2014/05/07/professor-allegedly-threatens-to-murder-students-who-are-teabaggers-that-support-sen-ted-cruz/

or the teacher who told an elementary student that he can't read the Bible when all other books are allowed during free reading time:
http://www.local10.com/news/student-says-teacher-wont-let-him-read-bible-in-class/25822866

Clearly these 2 brought personal bias to their job and I doubt it stops at these 2 instances. Grading papers, fair and equal treatment to all students, etc.

As for coaches doing it, Phil Jackson did it all the time. He loved imparting his views on his team (books they read) as well as tweaking groups through the media (calling Mormonism a cult, for instance).

I'd bet most only have a problem with it when it goes against their own belief system.
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri May 09, 2014 10:54 am

Wow I didn't think I'd be getting into it for that post. :man10:
MadMax wrote:So then if we have free will to live as we want, then whether or not one "chooses" to be a homosexual, shouldn't even be an issue then. But this isn't what he means...read deeper into it and I think he is implying homosexuality is a choice.

I don't agree with this, and that is based on scientific research and personal experience speaking with gay people, not the the bible. I think his comment shows real ignorance here. He makes it seem like we're all free to choose, but only if we choose what HE believes God thinks is "right" or "wrong".

That's your interpretation of what he's saying and you could be absolutely right. He could ALSO be saying that God gives you the ability to be whoever you like and if you're gay then God willed it and that's fine.

That's how I PERSONALLY interpret God so that's how I read it.

I'm certainly not going to get into some heated social debate about homosexuality vs. religion. It's moot and honestly quite silly. The fact that you're getting so worked up over someone's opinion though is the problem that I have. The guy has his views and that's his right as an American. He can believe what he wants and in those sentences he didn't say anything overly offensive unless you want to see that he did.

You were offended because you know he's a religious man and you interpreted them as negatively as you could. It's a bias. I'm not disagreeing with you or claiming one of you is right and one is wrong (personally if he believes that being gay is a choice I think he's wrong, but that's his life). All I'm saying is...

relax. The guy didn't say
Being gay is a choice and it's the wrong one.
He said that HE is a man of God and that in HIS opinion being gay isn't holy. He didn't claim that Jason was evil or anything. He didn't attack the man himself or gays in general.

Why is it that everyone has to get worked up over someone's personal beliefs? If I believed that God was the Spaghetti Monster, I'd have many Christians having basically the same reaction that you're having right now. It's my belief. Why can't I be entitled to it.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Fri May 09, 2014 11:00 am

CGrand81 wrote:He's too much of a hypocrite for me to like this guy, wasn't a fan of him as an announcer, jury still out if he can coach in this league.

I thought he was a great announcer, he came up with some great lines that were always enjoyable to listen to during a game. I don't know how good of a coach he is, but at the very least he's better than our last two coaches.
XXIV

Postby MadMax on Fri May 09, 2014 12:29 pm

John...

There certainly is a fine line. If one is religious, I can't expect them to keep that 100% away from their work. I mean, that's their basis on what they think, do, and feel. It's going to spill over into their personal life as well...whether it be a personal relationship or for work. That isn't necessarily "right" or "wrong", but can lead to some pretty dangerous situations, in my opinion.

What I am saying is that I do not want someone trying to implement their religious beliefs into my personal life or place of work. That applies to ALL people, whether they be secular or non-secular. I am mostly applying this logic to US government legislation, and at the work place. I am in 100% support of the separation of church and state. That's how the founding fathers wanted this country, yet we have lawmakers using their religious beliefs as a guideline for law making in this country. Almost nothing frightens or threatens me as much as the idea that laws and being created and passed in the name of religion, and not the betterment of the people.

Real,

Thanks for your well thought out response. Let me start off by saying I won't make this into a big debate here, but let me just clear things up.

The guy has his views and that's his right as an American.

Agreed.

You were offended because you know he's a religious man and you interpreted them as negatively as you could. It's a bias. I'm not disagreeing with you or claiming one of you is right and one is wrong (personally if he believes that being gay is a choice I think he's wrong, but that's his life).

You're right. I think a lot of my frustration boils down to the last 4 years of really studying religion, and having to hear many sentiments that Christians in the US share. I think it comes from a place of fear and ignorance. I mean, the New Testament mentions homosexuality like 3 times, and it's very vague. It's one of the least talked about things in the New testament, yet it seems to be a hot topic for Christians and non-Christians alike.

The Old Testament on the other hand, makes it pretty clear how it see's homosexuality.

I guess where I am going with this is that Mark Jackson views homosexuality "wrong" in God's eyes, but what is the connection between his faith and homosexuality?

if it has anything to do with/or in common with the Old Testament then I would be horrified.

Per Old Testament:
Lev. 20:13
"If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltiness is upon them." (NASB)
"If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them." (ESV)

In conclusion, I think Mark Jackson is a really good coach, but I fear his failure to separate his job from his personal religious beliefs, would make him a poor candidate. Just how I see it.

Thanks, guys. We can discuss this in another venue. back on topic!
MadMax
Clublakers Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri May 09, 2014 1:04 pm

Fair enough. Religion is always a touchy subject I appreciate that we didn't let it get out of hand. Great job guys. That's why I love it here. :bow:

As for Mark Jackson, I mean if he can't separate himself from his religion in a professional environment, he's honestly going to have a hard time finding work. He seems like a very good coach though and if this issue was cleared up, I'd more than welcome him here. Faith aside, he had those boys in the bay really clicking as a unit.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby John3:16 on Fri May 09, 2014 1:08 pm

Max -- I don't necessarily disagree with you. Was just trying to offer another view.

I personally don't think Mark Jackson should comment on Jason Collins -- just like I don't think Jason Collins should be celebrated when those same people condemn Tebow.
CL Global Moderator

Postby laakers on Fri May 09, 2014 2:36 pm

If Mark Jackson became our coach, and one of our players just so happened to be gay, his acknowledgement of thinking this player's "true" feelings about sexual orientation are wrong, then it would create a hierarchy of majority over minority - REGARDLESS of ethical/philosophical/sexual human truths about sexuality. On that small chance, it could potentially ruin chemistry on a squad. Hell, with this Sterling thing, even some gay owner could get upset about it. There's also still a lot we don't know that's going on, like why he fired the two coaches. What does Jackson define as "difference of philosophies"? Maybe the "difference of philosophies" is what we need to question?
laakers

Postby MadMax on Fri May 09, 2014 3:41 pm

John3:16 wrote:Max -- I don't necessarily disagree with you. Was just trying to offer another view.

John - I know that you were just offering different view points, and I totally embrace that. I don't shy away from other people's viewpoints...just the opposite. I always try to get a story/opinion/thought from multiple positions, because it helps to give me a better idea at what's going on at hand, and how to clearly form my own informed opinion on the matter. Cheers, man.
MadMax
Clublakers Moderator

Next

Return to NBA Discussion