Warriors trade Sura for Pistons' Robinson

Warriors trade Sura for Pistons' Robinson

Postby zetaw00d on Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:27 pm

OAKLAND, Calif. -- The Detroit Pistons traded forward Cliff Robinson and guard Pepe Sanchez to the Golden State Warriors on Thursday for guard Bob Sura.

Robinson, a 14-year NBA veteran, averaged 9.3 points, 2.9 assists and 2.7 rebounds per game last season as a starter for the Pistons, who made the Eastern Conference finals. He is joining his fourth team, after stints in Portland and Phoenix.

"We feel this is a tremendous addition to our team," St. Jean said. "Cliff Robinson was a starter for a team in the Eastern Conference Finals last season and has been a winner his entire career. Additionally, he is an excellent defensive player and will provide some quality depth to our team."

Sura averaged 7.3 points, 3.2 assists and 3.0 rebounds for the Warriors last season as a valuable backup at shooting guard and small forward.

"We are excited to add Bob Sura to our roster," Pistons president Joe Dumars said. "He's a hard-nosed defender, and he is a player that can play both guard positions. He can penetrate and find the open man, and he also has nice touch from the perimeter."

Sanchez, the first Argentine to play in the NBA, appeared in just nine games for the Pistons last season.

The Warriors have made several major changes to their once-promising roster in the offseason, starting when Gilbert Arenas signed with Washington as a free agent last month.

The Warriors have made several major changes to their once-promising roster in the offseason, starting when Gilbert Arenas signed with Washington as a free agent last month.

The trade gives the Warriors a veteran to pair with second-year forward Mike Dunleavy at small forward. The Warriors traded their other two small forwards, Antawn Jamison and Chris Mills, on Monday in a nine-player deal with the Mavericks.

Robinson has two years and $10 million remaining on his contract.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1600343
zetaw00d

Postby SWOL on Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:40 pm

nice move for both teams, uncle cliffy has made the rounds
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby rydjorker121 on Thu Aug 21, 2003 5:36 pm

[color=brown]Not a bad move.

However, I can't imagine Bob sura being so valuable--is he really worth a Cliff Robinson and a Pepe Sanchez? Sanchez is basically defunct in the trade, he 's a nothing who hasn't done anything remarkable in the league as of yet.

But a Bob Sura=Clifford Robinson? True, Robinson was a bad shooter from everywhere last year (FG's: 39.8%, FTs: 65%) but he still has his name polish on his shoes. He was an all-star and may still be a spark for the Warriors. but I guess it was all right to trade him if you were Detroit, since you have Darko Milicic, Elden, Rebraca and Mehmet Okur already. Bob Sura could spell Hamilton and Billups and is an able defender. I also think that the Pistons should have gotten Antoine Rigaudeau in that deal to make it 2 for 2: one good guy in each deal and one bad. That woulda been better.

As for Robinson, he's probably gonna be a role player spelling Dunleavy, Jr., Murphy and Dampier (he's able to play three positions--LOL). Cliff's there for veteranship and the jumper stick-in. And D. Otherwise he ain't as good as you think. Pepe Sanchez is gonna stay in the injured list forever. Remember when the Warriors had zero, zip, nada real point guards after losing Gilbert Arenas? Boykins was a FA, and they didn't sign Speedy Claxton back then. Now they got 4? Whatta hell's up with the point guards nowadays?[/color]
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby BoogieKnight on Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:11 pm

rydjorker121 wrote:[color=brown]Not a bad move.

However, I can't imagine Bob sura being so valuable--is he really worth a Cliff Robinson and a Pepe Sanchez? Sanchez is basically defunct in the trade, he 's a nothing who hasn't done anything remarkable in the league as of yet.

But a Bob Sura=Clifford Robinson? True, Robinson was a bad shooter from everywhere last year (FG's: 39.8%, FTs: 65%) but he still has his name polish on his shoes. He was an all-star and may still be a spark for the Warriors. but I guess it was all right to trade him if you were Detroit, since you have Darko Milicic, Elden, Rebraca and Mehmet Okur already. Bob Sura could spell Hamilton and Billups and is an able defender. I also think that the Pistons should have gotten Antoine Rigaudeau in that deal to make it 2 for 2: one good guy in each deal and one bad. That woulda been better.

As for Robinson, he's probably gonna be a role player spelling Dunleavy, Jr., Murphy and Dampier (he's able to play three positions--LOL). Cliff's there for veteranship and the jumper stick-in. And D. Otherwise he ain't as good as you think. Pepe Sanchez is gonna stay in the injured list forever. Remember when the Warriors had zero, zip, nada real point guards after losing Gilbert Arenas? Boykins was a FA, and they didn't sign Speedy Claxton back then. Now they got 4? Whatta hell's up with the point guards nowadays?[/color]

The color is red, not brown. :mhihi:

Oh, as for the trade, the Warriors need a cheap replacement for Fortson and the Pistons want to develop Darko Milicic without having someone hogging his minutes.
BoogieKnight

Postby Danny Ainge on Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:14 pm

Sura will play second fiddle to RIP and Billups. Oak-Town gets someone who can fill in at the center position when needed.
Big props to UGOTOWN3D for the avy.
DA fan club:UGOTOWN3D, Realm Of Shadows, DarthRekal, SOAD, hZm
http://www.clubkingshoops.com/forums//
Danny Ainge

Postby Lakers4PEAT on Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:51 pm

Whatever happened to Sura, I remember he was one of the rising new young stars in the league, then he just suddenly dissapeared
Wurdizzlez!
Lakers4PEAT

Postby echo nation on Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:29 am

its one of those trades that isnt exaclt insignificant but i really dont care too much about

its just

eh

both solid players

GS shouldve tried for someone bigger though
Just A Saturday Away
echo nation

Postby rydjorker121 on Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:02 pm

Lakers4PEAT wrote:Whatever happened to Sura, I remember he was one of the rising new young stars in the league, then he just suddenly dissapeared

hell, I know. Bob Sura WAS a good player, not anymore.

He reminds me a lot like Brent Barry:

Fast on the break
Oversized guy who can play point guard
Are white and around 32 years of age
Gets more assists than rebounds (and a lot of them too)
Are Able Defenders who get a lot of steals
Turn the ball over like a PG
Pick up few fouls
Both can do little bit of everything, especially score with range

EXCEPT:
Sura shoots poorly from the field and likes to attack the basket; Brent Barry does a little bit of everything and has great field goals and threes percentage

Sura gets to the line HELL Lot, but only makes 70% of his FT attempts

Bob Sura is an injury-prone guy last year, and comes off the bench :jam2:
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby SWOL on Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:20 pm

Danny Ainge wrote:Sura will play second fiddle to RIP and Billups. Oak-Town gets someone who can fill in at the center position when needed.

na they have Dampier and Folye....Cliffy is only like 6'9-230 he is more likley to re-place Jamison
SWOL

Postby zetaw00d on Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:42 pm

Cliff is a good pick up for GS! Cliff will probably play back up to Mike Dunleavy and Troy Murphy. Cliff can play the PF and SF spots!! He still has a good jumper and it will keep the other PFs in the west in the perimeter when they are guarding Cliff.
zetaw00d

Postby LaKeRsDyNaStY on Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:46 pm

"cliffy" is 6"10 225 so he can easily play sf/pf.. he even played some center but that was in the east
LaKeRsDyNaStY

Postby Danny Ainge on Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:52 pm

swolswol wrote:
Danny Ainge wrote:Sura will play second fiddle to RIP and Billups. Oak-Town gets someone who can fill in at the center position when needed.

na they have Dampier and Folye....Cliffy is only like 6'9-230 he is more likley to re-place Jamison

Yes but as I'm sure you are aware he played center in Detroit for awhile.
Danny Ainge

Postby SWOL on Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:12 pm

YEAH BUT I COULD PLAY CENTER IN THE EAST....HE WAS OUTTA POS. AND COULD GET AWAY WITH IT OUT THERE, BUT IN WEST HE IS SF/PF MATERIAL
SWOL

Postby Danny Ainge on Fri Aug 22, 2003 3:47 pm

I was gonna say bench material.
Danny Ainge

Postby SWOL on Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:01 pm

that too
SWOL

Postby FabFourLakers on Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:40 am

good trade for both teams

cliff was no longer needed with all those big men down in detroit

If dunleavy doesnt develop, look for cliff to steal that startin SF spot. And if Murhpy struggles, the same will happen. I see Cliff and Nick bringing some much needed veteran leadership to this young Warrior team!
FabFourLakers

Return to NBA Discussion