Where do you rate Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon?

Re: Where do you rate Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon?

Postby JSM on Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:46 pm

I consider him to be the best two way center to ever lace them up. Factor in the duration he was able to sustain his level of play, impact on both ends of the floor, and unstoppable moves (Dream Shake)...you'd be hard pressed not to find a better option.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby 432J on Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:32 pm

bill walton could have easily been right outside or even in the top 5 if he had stayed healthy throughout his career
432J

Postby John3:16 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:53 pm

gcclaker wrote:OK...I'll go with the "I've seen" scenario:

1. Abdul-Jabbar
2. Olajuwon
3. O'Neal
4. Parish
5. Gilmore

If you saw Gilmore, you had to see Moses. Malone was a lot better than Gilmore. Gilmore couldn't even catch the ball.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:07 pm

John3:16 wrote:
gcclaker wrote:OK...I'll go with the "I've seen" scenario:

1. Abdul-Jabbar
2. Olajuwon
3. O'Neal
4. Parish
5. Gilmore

If you saw Gilmore, you had to see Moses. Malone was a lot better than Gilmore. Gilmore couldn't even catch the ball.

You're right... I completely forgot about Malone. I'd slot him in at #4 and slide Parish down to 5. Malone took Houston to The Finals in 1981.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby dmaul on Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:06 pm

He would be in my top 5 but because he wasn't great as many years as Kareem was or has as many championships as Russell has he can't on principle be ahead of them. Between the rest (Wilt, Shaq, Moses, and Hakeem) it's a tossup to me. But one thing I believe for sure, Hakeem from 1994-96 was as good as any of these other centers in their best years. Skill wise he's as good or better. Footwork wise and creativity wise, he's the best of all time.

The image of Olajuwon that always sticks with me is him faking Robinson out of his jock, getting him to jump like he's on a pogo stick over and over, biting on every fake. Has one hall of famer ever embarrassed another hall of famer that badly before?
dmaul

Postby OX1947 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:47 pm

^Kobe use to embarrass Pippen, literally every time they matched up.
OX1947

Postby dmaul on Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:53 pm

^ But that was young Kobe vs. old Pippen. Pippen in the last couple years of Chicago and in Houston and Portland. This is prime Olajuwon vs. prime Robinson.
dmaul

Postby Finwë on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:09 pm

Juronimo wrote:I find it difficult to rate big men that played in different eras.

This.

If I had to pick, I'd break it down into 2 categories:

-Most productive/most dominant/"greatest": 1) Kareem. 2) Wilt. 3) Shaq. 4) Russell. 5) Hakeem.

-Most complete/personal favorite/"best basketball player" (by my own standards): 1) Kareem. 2) Hakeem. 3) Shaq. 4) Wilt. 5) Russell.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:19 pm

Lakerjones wrote:^^ Very hard to say I think comparing such different eras and players. I didn't see Russell play so it's nearly impossible for me to imagine how it would go if he and Hakeem went against each other. I just know that Russell went up against some great players himself like Wilt and he came out with 11 championships while being the undisputed team leader and even player coach at the end of his career, right? It's not always about talent as much as that will to win. Who knows?

What about the Admiral, David Robinson? Where does he stack up in the list? I think he's a drop off from these top 5 that most of us have mentioned for sure. But how much down from them? And what about Moses Malone?

I think I'd put Moses in 6th. He was a monster, himself!! Maybe 7th for the Admiral. He was no slouch either.

But Russell had far superior help in Cousy, Havliceck and Jones. We'll just agree to disagree about Russell.

The Admiral had his chance to cement his legacy but we all saw what happened. He got owned by Hakeem. Talent wise he was right there with almost anyone but he just couldn't get over the hump. I would say he's just outside of the 5.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby purp n gold on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:54 pm

Tough. I say best center in his era. In accolades & numbers he trails behind other centers, but I think he is the most complete center next to Kareem. Kareem has an advantage in sheer size & height, but Hakeem could run the floor like a 6'11.5" gazelle. He would dominate in any era, he was just on verrrry crummy teams during his prime.

He also destroyed guys like Ewing, Robinson & Shaq when it counted
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:15 am

If u let me take Shaq or Hakeem, i take Hakeem without hesitation. Shaq needed a great guard to compliment him. Hakeem didn't. Shaq can obviously dominate you if he gets good position down low but Hakeem could do so much more. Not one weakness in his game. He could make the 15-18 footer. Face you up and take you off the dribble and of course his back to the basket game was simply legendary. He's one of the few centers in hisotry who could create his own shot come cruch time. Most nba greats that win rings usually have a great sidekick. Hakeem didn't have one. Sure he had a lot of great role players but he never had another great sidekick. Drexler doesn't count cause he was past his prime. Shaq needed to be at a certain place on the court to be dominant. Hakeem could dominate from anywhere within 20 feet. And his defense was noticeably superior. I don't honestly know if there was a better defender at C than Hakeem. And he played in the greatest era for centers and he dominated all of them in legendary fashion. That carries extra weight.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby purp n gold on Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:05 am

One more wrinkle about Olajuwon: His original sport was futbol. You can see the "soccer gene" in guys like Steve Nash or Tony Parker, in the way they can control their running pace & how they seal off angles from defenders when they run the floor. Olajuwon had applied that same knowledge in a nasty, post-up/face-up, pick-your-poison-type offensive game.

Hakeem reveled in faking out & embarrassing his defender, I remember him saying this much in an interview. I remember Hakeem had a segment on Inside Stuff, where he was laughing & dancing circles around Ahmad Rashad doing soccer feints.

Moreover, he played goalie. His timing for shot blocking rivaled the best to ever do it.
purp n gold

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:05 am

purp n gold wrote:One more wrinkle about Olajuwon: His original sport was futbol. You can see the "soccer gene" in guys like Steve Nash or Tony Parker, in the way they can control their running pace & how they seal off angles from defenders when they run the floor. Olajuwon had applied that same knowledge in a nasty, post-up/face-up, pick-your-poison-type offensive game.

Hakeem reveled in faking out & embarrassing his defender, I remember him saying this much in an interview. I remember Hakeem had a segment on Inside Stuff, where he was laughing & dancing circles around Ahmad Rashad doing soccer feints.

Moreover, he played goalie. His timing for shot blocking rivaled the best to ever do it.

Don't forget footwork. Hakeem has mentioned that his experience with soccer has helped him tremendously in getting down the footwork of basketball.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:08 am

OX1947 wrote:^Kobe use to embarrass Pippen, literally every time they matched up.

Not in Pippen's prime he didn't.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby nameant on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:38 am

Wonder where he'd rank had MJ not retired. I wouldn't put him above Shaq. Wilt, Kareem, Russell, Shaq...maybe top 5.
nameant

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:15 am

1. Russell
2. Kareem
3. Shaq
4. Hakeem
5. Wilt

But at his peak I would argue he was playing some of the basketball ever played by any player
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:17 am

He was the most interesting to watch without a doubt... he got the best out great centers during his back 2 back run ... with supporting casts which weren't out of this world , especially in 1994
wcsoldier81

Postby havoc33 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:00 am

OX1947 wrote:^Kobe use to embarrass Pippen, literally every time they matched up.

Um, what are you basing this on exactly? Please explain.
havoc33

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:55 pm

1. Kareem
2. Russell
3. Shaq
4. Wilt
5. Hakeem

It's hard to base players from different eras of basketball though, so it's all relative.

In my honest opinion, not one player on that list would be able to defend a prime Shaq. No one is going to touch Kareems sky hook. Hakeem would put people in the popcorn machine. Russell would outwork people. Wilt...couldn't say, but I think he'd use his size and camp in the paint.

People say with MJ out, Hakeem was able to win his rings. No, the Bulls would've prevented the Rockets from winning had MJ played. People got to get this MJ lead this, Kobe lead that mentality. We've all seen these guys struggle without the right team.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby purp n gold on Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:37 pm

havoc33 wrote:

purp n gold

Postby Phil XI on Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 am

9th overall. 5th among C's and I've seen everyone on the list except Russell and only saw old Wilt.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby thkthebest on Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:43 am

^What's your top 10 overall list?
My signature
thkthebest

Postby Juronimo on Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:12 am

purp n gold wrote:
havoc33 wrote:

I recall Kobe getting the best of Pippen even during the pre Phil era. In Jordan's last game at the forum, Kobe scored 33. He also had a big game against Pippen in the strike shortened year, when they had Kobe starting at the 3 beside Eddie Jones before the Glen Rice trade.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Previous

Return to NBA Discussion