Who would win in a dunk contest if everybody was healthy?

Who would win in a dunk contest if everybody was healthy?

Postby Pha King A on Thu May 01, 2003 6:03 pm

Kobe Bryant, Vince Carter, Tracy Mcgrady, Desmond Mason, Jason Richardson, Richard Jefferson?

I think Kobe would win definitly cause Kobe and Vince have the same vert (42inches) and Kobe just looks better in air :)
Pha King A

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Thu May 01, 2003 6:18 pm

I don't know, either Carter, Kobe, or Jason Richardson...
LD2k.com
We Do It For The Fans | Videos as seen on Clublakers.com
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby clublakers on Thu May 01, 2003 6:47 pm

I'd take Carter. He's the most powerful of the high-fly acts.

Sure would be nice to see that event with that lineup. Too bad it will never happen.
Call it from Heaven Chick.

clublakers
Site Admin

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Thu May 01, 2003 6:50 pm

Yes, the Slam dunk contest rules keep getting worse & worse, what did they change it to this year? Only rookies and sophmores? Stupid...
LD2k.com
We Do It For The Fans | Videos as seen on Clublakers.com
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby clublakers on Thu May 01, 2003 7:03 pm

Is that really a rule? I've heard theory on the league's restrictions, but never seen the hardline rules. Anyone got the details?
Call it from Heaven Chick.

clublakers
Site Admin

Postby BDG on Thu May 01, 2003 11:49 pm

i didn't know that was a rule. i actually liked the dunk contest this past AS weekend. I would pick Kobe tho. I don't think he shows off his dunking ability on the court, but if he wants to, he really can throw it down with some style. Did you see those Adidas commericals?! All the Kobe-haters say it was a lowered rim, but I don't buy that. Even still if it was lowered, I've never seen anyone take off from 20 feet out and dunk it, throw down an off the backboard thru tha legs dunk, or do a wrap around in the air 360. damn some of those dunks seriously almost can't be described. i would love to see a contest with Kobe, Vince, J-Rich, D-Mase and (soon to be) LeBron. Sadly I don't think it's gonna happen though.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Fri May 02, 2003 1:10 am

Daayam...well between them all I gotta choose VC. He's powerful quick and smooth with his dunks.. He's just too tough too beat.
LakersGyrl2003

Best Dunker

Postby Guest on Fri May 02, 2003 4:31 am

Voice of Reality again. Kobe would not win the Dunk Contest. I don't even consider him a great dunker. Don't get me wrong, he's had some INCREDIBLE dunks (see my comments on his dunk on Garnett in game 5). But those are dunks in game situation (and he's the best at that), but in a Dunk Contest it's totally different. No one, and I mean NO ONE can beat VC. Jason Richardson would offer the biggest challenge, but at there best, VC is just nasty. Try not to forget his dunk with his arm half way down the rim.

All time best dunkers (dunk contest):
1. Carter
2. Dominique Wilkens
3. Dr J
4. Larry Nance
5. Jordan

All time in game situation:
1. Kobe (behind his back, reverse dunk vs Denver in 1/2 court offense was disgusting, as well as dunk on Garnett)
2. Dawkins (broke backboards)
3. Shaq (pick any of his 5000 dunks where he had 2 people hanging on him)
4. Jordan (pick one)
5. Worthy finishing on the break

Postby Pha King A on Fri May 02, 2003 3:18 pm

OMG man, I dont even know WTF your talking about :mad1: Jason Richardson being the biggest challenge LOL, he would be up there and all but no where near kobe bryant. YOU dont know what kobe has up his sleeve, he probably doesnt like to show it off like Carter does, so just wait cause next years all-star weekend is at the STAPLES CENTER, so maybe kobe MIGHT join the slam dunk contest and he'll show everybody that he is the best dunker :)

BTW: Kobe Bryant and Vince Carter have the same vert leap (42 inches)

http://hoopscentral.net/highestverticals.html
Pha King A

Postby Pha King A on Fri May 02, 2003 8:26 pm

Anybody else?
Pha King A

Postby Reddy on Fri May 02, 2003 10:53 pm

kobe bryant
HE'L SHOW IT OFF WHEN HE WANTS :bow:
INNOCENT

BE IN THE DREAM TEAM KOBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STATUS RETIRED
Reddy

Postby Snakell Beast on Sat May 03, 2003 6:00 am

Kobe is better than anyone thinks. Even if he doesn't have the dunks right now, if he decided he wanted to win the dunk contest, nothing would stand in his way. He is more about will power and proving his dominance than just letting his athletic ability do the talking. Also remember that J-Rich and Carter spent WAY more time working on their dunks, Kobe won just winging it and not really worrying about it. If he actually prepared and worked hard at it, he would win pretty easily!
Snakell Beast

Re: Best Dunker

Postby Guest on Sat May 03, 2003 6:07 am

kobegotskillz wrote:... Jason Richardson would offer the biggest challenge, but at there best, VC is just nasty. Try not to forget his dunk with his arm half way down the rim.

I've seen Kobe do that dunk years before VC tried that in the Slamdunk contest...that dunk is nothing extraordinary.

Re: Best Dunker

Postby FlowByYou on Sat May 03, 2003 6:14 am

Anonymous wrote:
kobegotskillz wrote:... Jason Richardson would offer the biggest challenge, but at there best, VC is just nasty. Try not to forget his dunk with his arm half way down the rim.

I've seen Kobe do that dunk years before VC tried that in the Slamdunk contest...that dunk is nothing extraordinary.

yup...ive seen kobe do that dunk too...
...stay for a while, maybe you'll see a different side of me.
FlowByYou

Postby The Real Deal on Sat May 03, 2003 6:39 am

Kobe is like the epitomy of that old song..."anything you can do I can do better" and that is the truth! If you can do creative 360 dunks in games, you can go between your legs and reverse and do even better with noe pressure and a crowd there to see you be awesome...
The Real Deal

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sat May 03, 2003 10:24 am

Hey Pha,

I would leave out Richard Jefferson on that list because he was garbage in the SLAM DUCK CONTEST. It seems like he wasn't even intersted in competing. It would be between Kobe, Vince, and J-Rich. What would eventually happen is the voters would want to see a Kobe vs. Vince matchup at the end, therefore taking out J-Rich.

It would be a nice battle. I give the slight edge to Vince, but we all know Kobe's will to win. And somehow he will pull it off.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby The Real Deal on Sat May 03, 2003 5:47 pm

I'd say Kobe has the best advantage because he is the best player. He has the best collection of physical and mental skills, so he has the best chance. Does anyone honestly think he can't do anything anyone else does, and improve upon it? If they do, just look at what he did this season as proof that he can make any skill his own, even skills that he is not recognized as the best in. Kobe would win, unless he got robbed like he did with the MVP consideration.
The Real Deal

Postby BDG on Sun May 04, 2003 12:17 am

Snakell Beast wrote:Also remember that J-Rich and Carter spent WAY more time working on their dunks, Kobe won just winging it and not really worrying about it. If he actually prepared and worked hard at it, he would win pretty easily!
Yeah that's true, I downloaded an interview KB did after winning the contest and he said that before, he didn't even know HOW the competition really worked. And he said he didn't prepare at all and just wanted to have fun. If he wants to, he can. Remember, he has the greatest work ethic of any NBA player today.
The Real Deal wrote:Kobe would win, unless he got robbed like he did with the MVP consideration.
and robbed of the 6th man award as well.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Snakell Beast on Mon May 05, 2003 6:02 pm

Oh yeah, I remember that as well. Kobe is a threat to MJ's legacy and the voters for these awards will continue to rob Kobe of his well deserved and earned awards to protect MJ's stats. Kobe might never win the MVP award, or the defensive man of the year (something I already thought he has deserved) or the Finals MVP. He will get robbed more and more.
Snakell Beast

Postby Danny Ainge on Wed May 07, 2003 5:34 pm

Well I can't argue with that. Lets imagine that the fans could pick the slam dunk competitors. I as a fan would select Kobe, T-Mac, J-Rich, Vince, Lebron, and Desmond Mason. Windmills, between the legs, 360's, and free throw line takeoffs would surely fill the atmosphere with excitement that could only be matched by Earl Boykins throwing it down.
Big props to UGOTOWN3D for the avy.
DA fan club:UGOTOWN3D, Realm Of Shadows, DarthRekal, SOAD, hZm
http://www.clubkingshoops.com/forums//
Danny Ainge

Postby Snakell Beast on Wed May 07, 2003 5:45 pm

If baby earl threw it down (shades of s-webb winning it all) he should win on difficulty rating alone!
Snakell Beast

Postby Danny Ainge on Wed May 07, 2003 6:02 pm

True dat Snakell. Hey its good chatting with ya Beast, it certainly has been awhile.
Big props to UGOTOWN3D for the avy.
DA fan club:UGOTOWN3D, Realm Of Shadows, DarthRekal, SOAD, hZm
http://www.clubkingshoops.com/forums//
Danny Ainge

Return to NBA Discussion