Why did Odom decline so fast?

Why did Odom decline so fast?

Postby KB24 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:46 pm

I see the Clippers vs. Thunder, I check Odom's stats and I see

39% FG
16% 3FG
44% FT

actually these numbers make him look good.After the All-Star game he is averaging 9/5 to "pad" his stats LOL. Actually given his terrible stats, every time he hits a shot his numbers sky rocket.

And all that a year after shooting 35% in Dallas and literally being banned from the team. In Dallas he averaged 7/4 and this year he is averaging 4/6. I just cannot believe a player that shoots 53% FG, 38% 3FG (15/9/3) and is generally one of the most versatile players on the planet loses everything within 6 months especially since he just recently turned 33, its not like he is 50.

His numbers are embarassingly bad. Popular belief here was that he didn't like Dallas and was "sensitive" and thats why. But honestly, he is back in LA. He should be over it by now. It makes no sense to suck this bad.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Re: Why did Odom decline so fast?

Postby Kasumi on Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:55 pm

The only answer is that it's mental, not physical. He was always a very sensitive person and has had a lot of drama in his life these last couple years. I think if we had a coach that was good with managing personalities (which PJ was, MDA is not) and he were to come back here, he'd excel again. Coach Pop may be the only active coach that could get him out of this but the likelihood of him returning to Texas is pretty slim.
ImageImage

"Basketball reasons" is as believable coming from Mitch Kupchak as it was coming from David Stern. #IWantedPhil
Kasumi
ClubSpurs.com Administrator

Postby trodgers on Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:08 pm

It's definitely mental. Just this morning I was thinking about whether LA would want to try and bring him back next year. I looked at his numbers and thought, "That's too big a mountain to climb."
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:36 pm

He's half the player he is when he was with LA. His game was never about his skill set as he was one of the most versatile players ever to play IMO, but the mental side was the engine that made everything run.

It's crazy to even think about, from 6th man of the year to overweight and 50% of the player he used to be in such a short time period. He was/is one of my favorite Lakers and basketball players, so it's sad to see this happen to him.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:40 pm

Kasumi wrote:The only answer is that it's mental, not physical. He was always a very sensitive person and has had a lot of drama in his life these last couple years. I think if we had a coach that was good with managing personalities (which PJ was, MDA is not) and he were to come back here, he'd excel again. Coach Pop may be the only active coach that could get him out of this but the likelihood of him returning to Texas is pretty slim.

Spot on.
Jazzygirl205

Postby The Rock on Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:46 pm

Because Chris Paul and Dirk cant elevate their teammates and make him better :man1: just kidding. I think Lamar is in a funk mentally, he looked better tonight but he still sucks defensive cant guard pick and roll and provides poor rim protection

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby GinoDB on Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:22 pm

Kardashians eat your soul, you become a crappy athlete and rapper
GinoDB

Postby Weezy on Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:40 pm

I think his heart just stopped being in it, and a sign of that is how out of shape he got. When he was great for us he was fit, in maybe the best shape of his career, now he's kinda fat.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:08 pm

i'm with doc. odom's regression makes me sad. i really liked him as a laker, and he's just been awful since.
abeer3

Postby gcclaker on Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:20 pm

Odom just did not have the focus like he used to. Jackson really knew how to use him in the right places or "unlock" the mystery as Bean have said plus the fact that he had healthy minutes too. He was really happy as a Laker...funny during a promo shoot for the Clippers that he slipped and thought he was still one. Odom's versatility would be fit well D'Antoni's schemes but he has to be in fighting shape with his head in the game.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:54 pm

When the Lakers traded him, I think part of him broke inside mentally.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:04 pm

When we first traded him the issue was all mental, but then earlier this season it was both mental and physical.
XXIV

Postby noobiew on Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:30 pm

He only wants to play for the LA Lakers, not the LA Clippers
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby 432J on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:05 pm

therealdeal wrote:When the Lakers traded him, I think part of him broke inside mentally.

this

that's the reason why he sucked in dallas and it made him break down even more mentally which is why he declined so quick. you can tell he's not really all there anymore. i'd love for him to return to the lakers but at this point it's pretty obvious that he might not bring much to the table
432J

Postby Frank Dux on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:15 pm

Remember when Hollinger correctly predicted Odom's decline in production?
Frank Dux

Postby trodgers on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:19 pm

Frank Dux wrote:Remember when Hollinger correctly predicted Odom's decline in production?

I do. To be fair, he predicted a decline based on regression to the mean. He didn't predict the utter disappearance of Odom's game.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Coach Chris on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:37 pm

I have watched more Clipper games this season than ever because I like LO, but he is done. I think from now on he is only in it for the contract.
Dr. Jerry Buss
January 27, 1933 - February 18, 2013
Coach Chris

Postby showtime mamba on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:48 pm

Lamar Odom remains one of my favorite Lakers as a player and a person. I agree that he has struggled to come back after mentally checking out from the Mavericks.

He shows us that despite the physical gifts of N.B,A players, the mind is still the most powerful weapon a player possesses. Maverick Odom and Clipper Odom looks like a scrub, and if you had never seen Laker Odom it would be hard to believe he was so talented and dynamic. It gives me new respect for players who come back from injuries or bad places professionally and mentally.
showtime mamba

Postby D.B. Cooper on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:50 pm

That's what happens when you go on Kloe's eating regimen.
D.B. Cooper

Postby XXIV on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:56 pm

This is the last year on his contract right? Wouldn't surprise me if he retires if the Lakers/Clippers don't offer him a contract. I'm certain some team will but whether or not he'll want to leave LA again is another issue.
XXIV

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:51 am

D.B. Cooper wrote:That's what happens when you go on Kloe's eating regimen.

Don't know about that. Whatever she does has to be an improvement over his Skittles diet.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Congo Cash on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:29 am

Frank Dux wrote:Remember when Hollinger correctly predicted Odom's decline in production?

Hollinger predicted a decline, not a complete self-destruction... He went from former 6th man of the year to D-league tier...
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby nameant on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:15 am

Hollinger didn't predict he'd be traded, so his prediction means nothing. LO loved it in LA and the fans loved him. Hell, after hating on the guy for years he became my 2nd favorite Laker and then he got "traded". After that everything went down hill and he fell apart. We'll never know if he would have fallen off if he had stayed here, but I truly doubt it. He was a perfect fit here. Thanks Stern.
nameant

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:56 am

#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby 432J on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:23 pm

it took me a while to warm up to lamar, especially during those up and down stretches he had but he really thrived in that 6th man role and i eventually became a huge fan of his

but i really feel like once the lakers traded him it was all downhill from there. i doubt at this point he can return to his past glory anyways
432J

Next

Return to NBA Discussion