Woj : Bulls claim conspiracy

Re: Woj : Bulls claim conspiracy

Postby Jellincon on Sun May 12, 2013 5:33 pm

^^Thank you. The main focus should be on the officials. If they could do their damn job at the level expected of them, there would be no conspiracies or any issues with them. But for some reason they're always left off the hook. That is what is most suspicious. Thibs gets fined for calling out the refs but the refs face no penalties for poor performance? In what world does this make sense?

If X bball player sucks, his butt will ride the bench and never see any playing time. If Joe Average is incompetent at the workplace, he'll either be demoted or fired. I ask why can't these refs be treated like any other person inept at their job? Why does the league continue to protect them at all costs despite thier horrid performance?
Jellincon

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sun May 12, 2013 7:50 pm

^Simple explanation: Because they're doing a great job as far as the league is concerned. :man12:
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sun May 12, 2013 10:11 pm

The league issue is that when the officials call games in such fashions it gives people cause to raise and eyebrow. There are games where officiating is just horrible but on both sides. THere are games where it is pretty good on both sides. Then there are games where you see one player basically bully his way into others and get every foul call while on the other end nothing is called. Now, most of us are bias so we complain about it much more than it happens to our team. However, remember that series against the rising stars of OKC where they outshot us at the line by more than 100 freethrows in the series? I believe a couple games they were in the 50's while we were in the teens even though we were aggresive as much as they were. The Wade parade to the free throw line against Dallas. Paul pierce in 2008 along with the rest of the moving screen Celtics. I am sure the list are massive and even some in our favor (King's anyone?)

That being said, I don't think the league office goes out and says "make this a good game or make sure these guys win" BUT I do think the officials are influenced to make calls. Lebron did not have a foul for like 10 games (maybe less)....really? This is supposedly the best defensive guy the NBA has ever seen and he didn't commit a foul. Not ONE! That is some pretty iffy stuff if you ask me.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sun May 12, 2013 10:41 pm

It's not a conspiracy of evil. It's about money and marketing. Anything involving big money is corrupt, from politics to the entertainment industry, which includes professional sports. Anyone who believes that the NBA is free from the machinations of professional betting, illicit PEDs, and lobbying from big business is wearing some heavy-duty blinders.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Scnottaken on Mon May 13, 2013 12:38 am

^I've come to think of that as a suspension of disbelief. We know not everything the league does is for the sport, but we can let some minor inequalities go if there's nothing on such a grand scale as the Wade freethrow-a-thon. It's like if a director suddenly made his villains plants. That'd be a really stupid idea.
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby abeer3 on Mon May 13, 2013 5:57 am

good points above, and "conspiracy" is kind of an odd term here, as I don't think most nba "conspiracy" theorists believe stern has a red phone directly connected to the officials' dressing room. rather, the league has interests that are obvious to any good employee. good employees then see that the mission of the organization is carried out. right now, if you're a ref that calls fouls for james harden, you're doing well. if you're not, you're not doing well. nobody needs to be explicitly told these things--at least nobody who will continue employment with the organization. again, this is why Cuban called for transparency in terms of evaluation and assignments for nba officials and was harshly rebuked.

btw, I really think that if nba officials simply called the game by the existing rules, we'd actually have a better product. one prime example: charges. we've created a culture in which running under airborne players and then falling down is rewarded. it severely limits the chances of a real head-to-head challenges at the rim. to try to make up for it, the league instituted the "charge circle", which, like moving the three point line close, had the opposite of the intended effect, imo. then, they started cracking down* on flopping. why not just abide by the principle of verticality and let guys actually attempt shotblocks instead of calling all airborne contact on the defense? you're basically begging for shane battier to run underneath a driver, totally sucking the life out of the play. how much more fun would it be if battier went for the block knowing that he wouldn't be automatically whistled if there was any contact, no matter who initiated it? but the league has weighed this against the prospect of dwyane wade getting his shot blocked and decided that the latter should be impossible.

*if you're a player whose name my wife doesn't know.
abeer3

Previous

Return to NBA Discussion