WOJ: KG & PP traded to Nets

Re: WOJ: KG & PP to Nets being discussed

Postby Weezy on Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:59 pm

Wow, trade is agreed to in principal, Kidd coaching and he gets a really nice looking team in his first season.

Bill Simmons looks sick, like he's gonna cry. :man10: He wanted PP to retire a Celtic, thinks the Celtics are getting 35 cents on the dollar for the trade. I have to agree with him on one thing, I thought Pierce would retire a Celtic, he does belong on their list of greatest Celtics ever IMO.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:02 pm

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 9m
Kevin Garnett will agree to trade to Brooklyn and Celtics are sending KG and Paul Pierce to the Nets, league sources tell Y! Sports.
XXIV

Postby XXIV on Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:07 pm

It'll be interesting to see how Kidd handles all these players on one team. Also, they might be like our Lakers team this season in that they'll suffer too many injuries that will effect them the whole season. Overall I'm glad there's another team to challenge Miami and make things more difficult for them on their road to the three-peat.
XXIV

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:11 pm

Kidd needs to run that squad in waves.

With DWill / JJ / PP / KG / Lopez, they should be able to run 2 or 3 of those guys and rest the others throughout the game.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:37 pm

Just happy to hear that Those Guys 2008 will remain one and done forever now. Good riddance. Not sure I like them joining D Will who I actually like.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:41 pm

Lakerjones wrote:Just happy to hear that Those Guys 2008 will remain one and done forever now. Good riddance. Not sure I like them joining D Will who I actually like.

Ha ha yeah, Celtics are in full rebuild, wonder if it will be another 20-some years of mediocrity.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby noobiew on Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:23 pm

How could this trade allowed Pierce and KG to the Brooklyn? wouldn't Brooklyn already over the salary luxury tax how can they still able to receive players via trade when they are already have a massive salary cap hold.
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby escobar8 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:54 pm

good...big kg fan...at least i want need to watch his last years in the green jersey...
pp trade is not shock, but still shows how bad is their FO, they build contender over night thanks to mchale and ainge, and now they will suck for next ten year...
they traded face of their franchise basicly for nothing...i could never see lakers trading kobe for basicly 3 low first round picks...
escobar8

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:12 am

Remake of our last season squad ... you don't get better in today's league by getting older ... Pierce is way too slow to defend the perimeter and KG is well out of his prime ...

2nd round exit in the Leastern Conf
wcsoldier81

Postby Congo Cash on Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:37 am

So how come the CP3 trade was "unfair" but this one went through...
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:53 am

Congo Cash wrote:So how come the CP3 trade was "unfair" but this one went through...

we traded with a team that had no owner in the Hornets so David Stern had the final say.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby purp n gold on Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:08 am

Adds a certain 'flimsiness' to that 08 title, doesn't it?
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby Pig Miller on Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:12 am

this team can now definitely contend for the title, or at least the EC.

this is a team that can really benefit from KG's intensity. they still have a serviceable backup big in humphries, and now get a shooter in terry.

for a team that doesn't care about salary issues, this is great for them
Pig Miller

Postby Pig Miller on Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:14 am

nevermind about humphries, didn't realized he was included. the deal would be so much better if the nets didn't ahve to include brooks.
Pig Miller

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:44 am

Chris Broussard ‏@Chris_Broussard 30m
Final Nets/Celts trade: KJoseph, MBrooks, GWallace, KHumphries, KBogans, 1st rnd picks 2014, 2016, 2018 for KG, Pierce, Terry....
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

So this is the Nets squad...

DWill / Taylor
JJ
PP
KG / Evans / Teletovic / Shengelia
Lopez / Plumlee

They have some work to do on that bench. :man10:
Last edited by Doc Brown on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby thkthebest on Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:49 am

Chris Rock on Twitter wrote:The nets just traded 3 first round picks to be in fourth place for 1 year

:man10:
thkthebest

Postby Weezy on Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:56 am

The Nets owner seems like that type of guy though, try and win now, make big flashy moves for the sake of it. They missed out on LeBron and Dwight, they needed to do something big in that market.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:15 am

this means the pierce-garnett-allen era is officially over in boston

enjoy that one measly title
432J

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:32 am

They're the only team in win now mode with a team that won't win ever.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Iceberg Slim on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:51 am

I love this trade for both teams.

Brooklyn wants to make a title run right now. So this team truly has a two year window to make it work based on the ages of Pierce and Garnett. The starting lineup that will roll out every night is one the best two-way lineups in the league. If Jason Kidd can be the coach many of us think he might be, they can realistically meet Miami in 2014 a ECF matchup. I wouldn't call it probable. But certainly plausible.

As for Boston, this is the best case of rebuilding a team I think I've ever seen. Not only do you get a 2014 first round pick (that will be the deepest draft within the last 10 years) you get one for 2016 and 2018. To boot, you have an all-star caliber small forward (Gerald Wallace) to pair with Jeff Green who just had a break out season. Sullinger, Fab Melo, Kris Humphries, and Kelly Olynyk are your bigs. Rondo man's the point with Avery Bradley backing him up.

Rajon Rondo
Jordan Crawford
Gerald Wallace
Jeff Green
Kris Humphries

3/5 of that lineup allows Boston to compete in the East for a #6 seed (at worst)...in a rebuilding year. 99% of teams don't have a rebuilding year like that. They sink to the bottom. Instead, they maintain playoff position.
www.thesportslyceum.com - personal blog

Iceberg Slim

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:01 am

^ Maintaining playoff position while rebuilding is almost an oxymoron. Why bother? It'll just affect the value of your pick negatively for a rebuild.

Might as well really suck. If they wanted to seriously rebuild, they'd trade Rondo for picks and expirings too. Maybe Green if they could get a team to bite on that contract as well.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby thkthebest on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:09 am

It's a good thing they aren't making the playoffs then. :)
thkthebest

Postby Juronimo on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:16 am

I'm afraid this actually might be a good trade for the evil empire.

Wheelchair and the bully are old, past their primes. Jason "the paper airplane" Terry didn't much of anything last season.

They get back 3 first round draft picks and serviceable players and Gerald Wallace, who's still good. I don't see what's in it for the Nets. They just got really really old.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby Iceberg Slim on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:34 am

therealdeal wrote:^ Maintaining playoff position while rebuilding is almost an oxymoron. Why bother? It'll just affect the value of your pick negatively for a rebuild.

Might as well really suck. If they wanted to seriously rebuild, they'd trade Rondo for picks and expirings too. Maybe Green if they could get a team to bite on that contract as well.

I agree with you on some fronts. I wouldn't mind trading Rondo for value. But he's too good in the long term considering the Celts are like the Lakers, they have to be good more times than not. They can be back to prominence by 2015. Rondo is a rare point guard.

Additionally, those picks are determined on how good/bad Brooklyn is next year and moving forward. They come from them. Brooklyn's train will be off the tracks by 2016. But if you're a Celtic fan, you have to be happy thinking about the here and now. They don't have a horrible team to watch for the upcoming season. And they are set-up for the long-term. Their wasn't a better deal they could've asked for.

Last edited by Iceberg Slim on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.thesportslyceum.com - personal blog

Iceberg Slim

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:41 am

Iceberg Slim wrote:
therealdeal wrote:^ Maintaining playoff position while rebuilding is almost an oxymoron. Why bother? It'll just affect the value of your pick negatively for a rebuild.

I agree with you on some fronts. I wouldn't mind trading Rondo for value. But he's too good in the long term considering the Celts are like the Lakers, they have to be good more times than not. They can be back to prominence by 2015.

Them being a "playoff" team really speaks to the Leastern Conference being top heavy. But I compliment them because why be unbearable to watch to your fan base? Additionally, those 3 first round picks being good or not pertain to how good/bad Brooklyn turns out...they come from them. By 2016, that train will probably be off the tracks in Brooklyn, certainly by 2018. Shelf-life is short considering the ages of the veterans.

From what I understand about Brooklyn's 2014 pick it's protected to Atlanta still from their Joe Johnson trade. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but I think if it ends up being higher than Atlanta's, they can switch the picks. That puts a little dent in the pick, but it'll still be an extra first rounder in a deep draft, so I understand that.

But I'm referring to their own 2014 first round pick. The better they are, the worse their own pick gets. And like you pointed out, in a weak Eastern Conference they're going to have a hard time really doing poorly enough to get one of those really great picks at the top of the draft. I think what they're doing is great for a rebuild, but they could go even further if they wanted to.

Unless of course they feel so strongly about Rondo that they keep him around for this. I have a feeling he's going to want out though when this season starts rolling and the team isn't very successful. He's a feisty guy who likes to compete for Championships. I'm not sure he'll be okay with sticking to a rebuilding team.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion