WOJ: KG & PP traded to Nets

Re: WOJ: KG & PP to Nets being discussed

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:39 am

Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS 20s
So basically, a $3 million mid-level player will cost the Nets a total of $15 million next season including tax.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

:man10:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Re: WOJ: KG & PP to Nets being discussed

Postby Juronimo on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:36 pm

This is going to be a very expensive trade for the Nets.

http://thebrooklyngame.com/mikhail-prokhorov-is-spending-a-staggering-amount-on-the-brooklyn-nets-roster/

I don't feel like posting the whole articles but check this snippet:

Once this trade goes through, the Nets will have 11 players under contract for the 2013-14 season: Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Brook Lopez, Mirza Teletovic, Reggie Evans, Tyshawn Taylor, Tornike Shengelia, and Mason Plumlee. Those 11 players (assuming the Nets give Plumlee 120% of the rookie scale, which is customary) will make a combined $94,910,500 in 2013-14 alone.

If we make two reasonable assumptions:

1) The Nets sign someone -- Kyle Korver, Bojan Bogdanovic, or someone else -- to the mini mid-level exception (worth $3.183 million);
2) The Nets fill out their bench with three minimum-level contracts (which will count as $884,293 each against the cap)

The Nets total salary would be bumped to $100,746,379.

What does that mean for the luxury tax? Max explained the math for paying the luxury tax last month:

The math: for every dollar up to $5 million above the luxury tax, teams pay $1.50. For every dollar from $5 million up to $10 million, teams pay $1.75. From $10 million up to $15 million, $2.50. From $15 million up to $20 million, $3.25. For every $5 million above the tax level after $20 million, you add another 50 cents per dollar.

If you use the NBA's projection of $71.6 million for the luxury tax level (which won't be guaranteed until the league audit), that puts the Nets almost $30 million into luxury tax territory, meaning they'll pay into the luxury tax a grand total of...

$81,372,111.

Ouch.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Re: WOJ: KG & PP traded to Nets

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:58 pm

Their owner is among the richest men in the world. He doesn't give a damn about the luxury tax. :man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:41 pm

^ Exactly, his worth is around $13 billion if I remember correctly. I'm sure he can make that luxury tax money back in a day if his investments go in the right direction. :man10:
XXIV

Postby nameant on Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:23 pm

All that money for no ring.
nameant

Postby XXIV on Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:13 pm

nameant wrote:All that money for no ring.

You don't think they have a chance in winning? Sure nothing is a given, but on paper they look pretty good.
XXIV

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:16 pm

XXIV wrote:

You don't think they have a chance in winning? Sure nothing is a given, but on paper they look pretty good.

I don't see a Championship there, no. I think they'll be alright, but they don't have enough basketballs to go around for all those players.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby nameant on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:30 pm

XXIV wrote:

Absolutely not.
nameant

Postby retro_nights on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:58 pm

it's a better chance than they had before, which was losing in the first round.

maybe they still do. but the owner wants to try to win now and money doesn't matter.

they don't really lose in the deal.
---
Team lakers
retro_nights

Postby XXIV on Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:03 pm

In response to nameant and realdeal, how far do you see this team going in the playoffs barring any serious injury?
XXIV

Postby Finwë on Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:55 pm

^ 2nd round, maybe ECF?
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby karacha on Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:11 am

Although I don't like PP and KG, I want to see that Nets team next season. Should be interesting.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:58 am

XXIV wrote:In response to nameant and realdeal, how far do you see this team going in the playoffs barring any serious injury?

Like Finwe said probably the 2nd round or Eastern Conference Finals, but expecting no injuries for that team is ludicrous.

Also expecting Jason Kidd to find the magic between two Hall of Famers who are about to be SEVERELY marginalized (and who weren't doing great to begin with) is going to be extremely difficult. I don't know that he'll be able to do it before they retire.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby ShowTime_IR on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:37 am

I'm glad about this trade. The East was very weak.
Now Miami needs to past foward the Nets, Pacers and Bulls. 3 Championship squads.
ShowTime_IR

Postby retro_nights on Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:44 am

ShowTime_IR wrote:I'm glad about this trade. The East was very weak.
Now Miami needs to past foward the Nets, Pacers and Bulls. 3 Championship squads.

4 real title teams in the east. Knicks are eh, but could be 5 if they made right moves.

Out west its Spurs, Thunder, and....Clippers? Maybe Grizzlies but really?

Maybe the West is more deeply competitive, but in actuality of who can actually win a championship, on either side its pretty even. Bottom 4 teams in east are worse than west but still, after 1st rd is when it matters cuz those teams are eliminated anyways
---
Team lakers
retro_nights

Postby Iceberg Slim on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:27 am

therealdeal wrote:
XXIV wrote:

I don't see a Championship there, no. I think they'll be alright, but they don't have enough basketballs to go around for all those players.

Who's selfish on that team? Deron Williams, the point guard? Paul Pierce and KG, who know what it means to sacrifice points for a ring, like they did in 2008 at the expense of us? Joe Johnson, who needs to be MORE selfish? They might not work. But it won't be for the reason you cited, I believe. If anything, it's health.
www.thesportslyceum.com - personal blog

Iceberg Slim

Postby gcclaker on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:32 am

Barring injury, Brooklyn will make it to the Eastern Conference Finals. Garnett will really push them hard on the defensive end. Pierce will not have to carry the scoring load with Williams and Johnson in the backcourt. The big key is who will step up from the bench? It will take more than just Terry.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby kenzo on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:54 am

therealdeal wrote:Their owner is among the richest men in the world. He doesn't give a damn about the luxury tax. :man10:

This. Guy can afford 10 teams like the Nets and they still won't put a dent in his account.
kenzo

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:17 pm

Iceberg Slim wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
XXIV wrote:

Who's selfish on that team? Deron Williams, the point guard? Paul Pierce and KG, who know what it means to sacrifice points for a ring, like they did in 2008 at the expense of us? Joe Johnson, who needs to be MORE selfish? They might not work. But it won't be for the reason you cited, I believe. If anything, it's health.

Who's calling them selfish? All I'm saying is that you can't run the ball through the post for Lopez while also giving Joe Johnson the shots he needs while also giving Pierce enough shots to stay in rhythm while also giving Garnett enough opportunities to score.

Who is being selfish? Nobody. That doesn't mean there's enough basketballs to get everyone comfortable.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby charvin on Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:38 pm

I think you may have to consider having one of them come off the bench. A line-up where they need multiple basketballs to work isn't going to cut it and would hurt you more defensively more than it would help on the offensive end.
charvin

Postby JSM on Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:24 am

Watching the presser on Sportscenter

Pierce just said he hopes to help Deron and Brook be all-stars and possibly MVP candidates this season.

:man3: ... :man10:

What is he smoking?
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby PurpleNGold1 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:18 pm

JSM wrote:Watching the presser on Sportscenter

Pierce just said he hopes to help Deron and Brook be all-stars and possibly MVP candidates this season.

:man3: ... :man10:

What is he smoking?

MEDICINAL CALI KUSH :man9:
PurpleNGold1

Postby CGrand81 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:03 pm

If the Nets grab the 2nd seed then the MVP of the team will definetly be in the NBA MVP conversation, most likely Deron Williams.
CGrand81

Postby JSM on Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:53 pm

^ Which I really can't see happening. I don't think they'll be better than Chicago or Indy. There is no way those injury prone players all can stay healthy. Not to mention that Kidd knows what it's like to be an old player and he's not going to run PP or KG into the ground and he'll monitor their minutes in the regular season.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:43 am

2013-2014 BK Nets = 2012-2013 Lakers ... 2nd round exit since they play in the Leastern Conf ...
wcsoldier81

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion