Worst long term NBA contracts

Worst long term NBA contracts

Postby mo' betta blue on Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:24 pm

Let me hear some opinions about what you think were the worst long term nba contracts. Players who retired but are still being paid because of guaranteed contracts or overrated players who got fat contracts. Personally, I dont think NBA organizations should bet the farm on just ONE guy. If that player gets injured and retires, the organization still has to pay the rest of his contract.

1. Jon Koncak of the Atlanta Hawks- The first time I heard of this guy was when the Atlanta Hawks signed him for a fat contract. He was no name player, highly overrated. News of his contract shocked a lot of NBA people and fans.
2. Grant Hill of Orlando Magic- this guy is a good player when 100% healthy. But he has been injured for the last 2 seasons. When was the last time he played a game? Too injury prone.
3. Bryant "Big Country" Reeves- 7 footer who played for
Vancouver/Memphis Grizzlies. Got injured and retired. I think the Grizzlies organization is still paying his contract
4. Raef Lafrentz- another 7 footer who got a crazy long term contract. Mavericks traded him to get rid of their mistake!

Any more suggestions?
:patriot:
mo' betta blue

Postby rydjorker121 on Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:33 pm

Nice question mo'betta blue. Bryant reeves certainly didn't deserve his dues...

Brad Miller's fat contract with Sactown. Nah j/k just because I hate Sactown doesn't mean I needa put this...hes actually contributing on both ends of the court.

Juwan Howard's six-year contract with the Magic. Man, he's hardly contributing like he did in Denver, so whats the use if the Magic are 1-9 and they obliged to this old man?-
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby FabFourLakers on Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:32 pm

MIKE BIBBY
FabFourLakers

Postby ZenMaster on Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:54 pm

Ha ha...true...Bobby Jackson is more deserving

Also, I have always respected Pat Riley, but he never should have given max contracts to both Eddie Jones AND Brian Grant.....maybe Eddie, okay, but not Grant...the Heat has been between a rock and a hard place, financially, for years b/c of those two deals, and the Heat can't trade 'em to another team b/c no one wants any part of those (lengthy) contracts
ZenMaster

Postby Jamaican Lakerfan on Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:18 pm

Aren't the Blazers still paying Kemp? Or did the Magic pick up the tab?
Jamaican Lakerfan

Postby JSM on Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:49 pm

I think the Ben Wallace and Chucky Atkins for Grant Hill has to be one of the worst trades in history. So getting Grant Hill would classify the Magic as having one of the worst contracts on their hands

Just look at where the Magic are now, and where they could be if they had Wallace. They traded him for a guy that hasn't done a single good thing for them, unless you consider draining all their money, so they can't get T-Mac any help a good thing.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Guest on Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:57 pm

Tom Gugliatta. 7 years/$80 mill. This is his last year, he's been making $13 mill a year to put up 5 ppg the last 6 years. He was an all star with Minnesota in 97.

Not even Grant Hill or Hakeem Olojuwan who's still being paid huge dollars.

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:04 pm

Posto wrote:Tom Gugliatta. 7 years/$80 mill. This is his last year, he's been making $13 mill a year to put up 5 ppg the last 6 years. He was an all star with Minnesota in 97.

Not even Grant Hill or Hakeem Olojuwan who's still being paid huge dollars.

sh*t tha suns could do some good things with that cap space if googs wasnt there...imagine marbury marion stoudemire and BRYANT...WOW
FabFourLakers

Postby SWOL on Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:13 pm

Jim McVain or what ever his name was with the Sonics in the early 90's

Juwon Howard was hideous
Eddie Jones was Laughable
Brian Grant was Garbage
Shawn Kemp got fat and unprodive and was making 18 mil per

but Grant Hill takes the cake by a long shot
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby SWOL on Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:16 pm

dont forget Wesley person makes 7 mil a year